Shutdown complaints - Stop.

85 Tauren Paladin
Ok, I have seen my fair share of complaints about the shutdown that Blizzard does on Tuesday especially since it's at a time that our raids usually start.

I think that the people that want it to be moved, shortened or not happen at all are a bit ignorant and want the game to work the way they want it, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN YOU WANT IT TO!

Moved - If Blizzard tried to do the shutdown at any other time it wouldn't make a difference in complaints (It would probably just increase the number).

Shortened - This would just be a Critical Error waiting to happen, the shutdowns are the length they are for a reason - To fix the problems that people have made tickets for (Bugs, Deletions of characters wanting to be reanimated, or just the plain Update).

None at all - Now this, this is just a flat our Game Error waiting to happen - if there were by any chance no shutdowns for a certain amount of time the game would just stay all glitchy and stuff (yes i said STUFF).

So if you could, STOP complaining about the shutdowns that happen ok? It's what they have to do to keep the game going, if you can - Be glad they are shutting the game down on Tuesday night, you can get back into the game on Wednesday anyway.
Edited by Givememygear on 8/30/2011 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
If they moved it to a more convenient time for the Oceanic players they will move it for everyone else as well which, as I said, wouldn't make a difference in the number of complaints.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I'd be happy if they would actually announce exactly when it's going down (3am/5am/etc) and if it's a rolling restart or full shutdown with ample time (at least a day). Last night had no announcement at all (unless it was put up less than 2 hours before the shutdown). The first anyone knew of it was when the 15min warning was broadcast.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Service Status forum ALWAYS has the details regarding what can be expected on a Tuesday night and will update as necessary to show changes.

This was the case last night also. Plenty of warning for those who are willing to look.

ALL the US servers go down at the same time and the oceanic servers are based on america which I am sure you know so as such they go down at the same time.

It has been this way for as long as I can remember so be sensible and not plan anything for tuesday night unless you've looked to see what's going on first.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
Fair point. With the exception of the last couple of weeks, it has always been the case (for at least the 4 years I've been playing) that they've had an alert on the login screen too. They even put up alerts on the login screen when there ISN'T going to be any maintenance that Tuesday.

Why the sudden change of procedure?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
They used to have it at a different time to the US but when they shut the US servers all the US players would flood the Oceanic servers and make level 1 alts, because they're all addicted and sad individuals.

That is why we dont see a varying start time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I understand maintenance needs to occur, but I dislike this 'once off' 3am PDT shutdowns that are becoming the norm. That's 7:30pm for myself. :(

/whine
Reply Quote
21 Blood Elf Rogue
They used to have it at a different time to the US but when they shut the US servers all the US players would flood the Oceanic servers and make level 1 alts, because they're all addicted and sad individuals.

That is why we dont see a varying start time.

Which weakens their "it's when the least people are on" position. They should just admit "It's easier for the graveyard shift to do, so unfortunately your times are balanced around insomniacs."
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
So if you could, STOP complaining about the shutdowns that happen ok? It's what they have to do to keep the game going, if you can - Be glad they are shutting the game down on Tuesday night, you can get back into the game on Wednesday anyway.

No, I won't stop, I pay to play, and if I am unhappy about shutdowns continually happening in my primetime I will complain. Matter of fact I did today, to Blizz cust service by phone.

I know they need to do maintenance. Move it two hours forward to 10pm my time, and that's fine with me. 8pm is too early, and inconveniences a lot of PAYING customers. Which is what I told the guy today.

We need an Aussie server restricted to Australians only.
Reply Quote
32 Blood Elf Mage
We need an Aussie server restricted to Australians only.

There are other players in Oceania outside of Australia and honestly Australia & NZ make up a fairly small number of those players in total so this comment makes you just look stupid.

The only way Blizzard could possibly do this is the following:

1 Move all the Oceanic Servers to Independant Server infrastructure that is not shared with US realms
2 Create new battlerealms that are made up only of the Oceanic Servers and move any US servers to other current realms
3 They could then do Independent Downtime etc on these realms and not effect any of the US realms or Battlegroups which has been their arguement for why they can't do it.
Edited by Ketamina on 9/21/2011 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
1 Move all the Oceanic Servers to Independant Server infrastructure that is not shared with US realms
2 Create new battlerealms that are made up only of the Oceanic Servers and move any US servers to other current realms
3 They could then do Independent Downtime etc on these realms and not effect any of the US realms or Battlegroups which has been their arguement for why they can't do it.

^^ This.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Mage
Servers should go down but not every server at the same time. So then I can play 24/7
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/30/2011 11:54 PMPosted by Darthmalgus
If they moved it to a time more convenient for oceanic timezone players, it would be more convenient. You're just ranting.

Actually, because of the way cross realm instances work and the long duration of an actual maintenance period, it wouldn't be more convenient for anyone involved. I can't go into too much detail, but such a change would provoke significant technical issues and periods where entire portions of the game world wouldn't be available. There was actually a time prior to cross realm instances when Oceanic maintenance periods were shifted to be more convenient for Oceanic players, but it was necessary to rescind that change for the sake of the realms as a whole. Hopefully, having access to cross realm instances over the course of the week makes up for the less convenient maintenance periods.

On that note, since rolling restarts don't have durations that are as long as full maintenance down times, when possible we shift the downtime for Oceanic realms back so there are fewer interruptions during prime time play. This change has been in effect for some time, though perhaps it hasn't been as apparent since I haven't seen feedback on that change here.
Edited by Daxxarri on 10/13/2011 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/13/2011 06:19 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Actually, because of the way cross realm instances work and the long duration of an actual maintenance period, it wouldn't be more convenient for anyone involved. I can't go into too much detail, but such a change would provoke significant technical issues and periods where entire portions of the game world wouldn't be available. There was actually a time prior to cross realm instances when Oceanic maintenance periods were shifted to be more convenient for Oceanic players, but it was necessary to rescind that change for the sake of the realms as a whole. Hopefully, having access to cross realm instances over the course of the week makes up for the less convenient maintenance periods.

Thank for having some blue clarification for what I and others have stated the reasons for the change (since 4.0) here and in other rant threads in the past.

The only other question I have (that I completely understand you can't answer - but I'm just putting it out there) - is how independent of the battlegroup servers are the instance servers? Could you theoretically have a 'oceanic instance' pool such that players from oceanic realms get preference allocation to those servers and they are moved to a different maintenance window. It'd still inconvenience some players with seemingly random shutdown of their instance because of the different maintenance windows. It'd also be adding further complexity to an already complex system...

I had that thought when the honor point fix maintenance occurred after 4.2 dropped - basically everything was brought down to fix what was theoretically a world (not instance) server fix - and if they were independent you could theoretically have move oceanic maintenance to a different time window.

On that note, since rolling restarts don't have durations that are as long as full maintenance down times, when possible we shift the downtime for Oceanic realms back so there are fewer interruptions during prime time play. This change has been in effect for some time, though perhaps it hasn't been as apparent since I haven't seen feedback on that change here.

It probably wasn't noticeable because prior to 4.0 Oceanic maintenance times were happening 5am our time - now they are happening in the evening - the same as normal Tuesday maintenance time. For me they have been happening at a good time at present - usually before I log in for the evening (but I'm in GMT+8 timezone... I never have a Tuesday night play on maintenance nights...) - but I suspect that will have changed with summer time/winter time changes that have just gone into effect across the world - which was the how things were with Cata's launch - all those restarts were prime time for me - being 9pm (but will be 12pm for the majority of (GMT+10) players) - it meant those evenings were a write-off because you couldn't complete an instance. But I understand I'm in the minority for oceanic players (which crosses about 6 timezones making it even more difficult).

One thing that would be useful is if the news actually displayed the maintenance times on the alerts in the local time - I know one of the tunneling services does this... but understand it is probably a low priority change!
Edited by Keluin on 10/13/2011 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Blood Elf Rogue
Could you theoretically have a 'oceanic instance' pool such that players from oceanic realms get preference allocation to those servers and they are moved to a different maintenance window. It'd still inconvenience some players with seemingly random shutdown of their instance because of the different maintenance windows. It'd also be adding further complexity to an already complex system...

We used to have our own instance servers, which worked fine. This got yanked very early in Wrath, so every instance would be on the same time for RDF when it would later come in. (It only took close to a year for them to acknowledge the change, and how it caused us to have a disconnect for holiday events. They eventually 'solved' that by rolling our holiday events back as well.)

Hopefully, having access to cross realm instances over the course of the week makes up for the less convenient maintenance periods.

Don't you just love knowing we got screwed around again, all for jerk DPS in the U.S who got black-listed by their own servers?

Reply Quote
What I would like to know is why, after all this time, people are still organising raids for a Tuesday night and then complaining about it? When it's perfectly well known that the servers will shut down at that time.......
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Hopefully, having access to cross realm instances over the course of the week makes up for the less convenient maintenance periods.

Don't you just love knowing we got screwed around again, all for jerk DPS in the U.S who got black-listed by their own servers?

Personally i would prefer to deal with the jerks in the cross realm instances with the tools available to me then try and put together pugs that are convenient for everybody on a single server. If your got a reliable guild that you can count on all the time then good. You have every other evening of the week to do your thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]