Shutdown complaints - Stop.

85 Gnome Warlock
There must be a solution - like some way to switch the live server - Please forgive my lack of techie knowledge and jargon but is it is possible to transfer all the data (not including the games infrastructure of course) from one server to another, thus allowing whatever to be done to the offline server over a flexible time frame. If this could be done with say only an hour or less down time then I'm sure Blizzard have the expertise to accomplish this and also can afford the hardware required?
Edited by Gnoworries on 1/31/2012 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
[quote="30818875397"]I'd be happy if they would actually announce exactly when it's going down (3am/5am/etc)

3am? that would be a godsend.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
cross-realm instances are a nice feature I guess - would always prefer to play with local server chums though, known or random, even if it means a longer wait. Perhaps that should be optional?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I also thought the whole idea of server clusters / farms was to avoid downtime.

Perhaps they should break up the 'world' into Zones which they can shutdown for maintenance individually (for quest restart or whatever). If you're in a zone and it needs to be 'closed' for maintenance, you get teleported to the nearest friendly city.

That would give the world a near 100% uptime, just some zones would be 'unavailable'. You just carry on somewhere else and keep having fun.

As for patches and changes to game mechanics, should be able to implement with a rolling re-start - the update should be installed in parallel and then the restart performs the switch-over. A 15 min downtime isn't a major inconvenience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ahhh those tuesday blues, causing widespread withdrawal symptoms amongst players since 2001 (Or whenever WoW started)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Stuff some cheese in the celery, this is only fun with fresh foods.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
And again why are your guilds still having raids on Tuesday when history shows you over the course of years now that Tuesday your realms are down during your prime time ...why haven't your guild leaders and you learned that this will and can happen each and every week if blizzard needs to do maintenance 6+ hour or more....the rolling restart time was moved to help you out it ...now for us in the USA happens at 1pm EST when it use too happen for USA at 8am EST....so they worked that in but you still are not happy about normal maintenance times when realms have to go down for 6+ plus hours....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Ah, little babies not knowing what to do with 6-8 hours of their life while the sole reason for their existence is not available. I truly feel for them, I do.

Unfortunately for them, shutdowns are necessary. Not just because Blizz needs some off time to fix running issues but also to reboot and refresh servers.

Once upon a time, Blizz was running servers without any down-time (October 2004 (when game went live) - April 2005).
Servers would crash often (in some cases every 6-7 hours) and then they would have to reboot them anyway which could take up to half an hour. Blizz has had enough and decided to introduce a weekly maintenance period. Lots of tears and gnashing of teeth was had but the crashing problem disappeared and players were mainly happy.
As for suggestions about shutting certain areas on a single server and whatnot, let's not split hairs. Server needs to go down as a whole. Also, Oceania servers are part of US realm group because it would be pointless to run 6-7 servers as their own group. We're tied into cross-realm dungeons, raids and BGs anyway or else we would struggle to come up with numbers. Before you whine about shutdowns, try to look at the bigger picture.
Reply Quote
23 Tauren Warrior
You have a full evening to enjoy one of the many other MMORPGs (SWTOR, Rift, DCUO, RoM, Eligium etc...). Give em a try, many are FREE for the early levels like WoW.

Variety is the spice of life.
Reply Quote
23 Tauren Warrior
And as for necessary shutdowns, perhaps lessons could be learned from the 'Internet' server farm model. Go on, tell me the user base is far smaller etc.... blah, blah....
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
09/20/2011 10:14 PMPosted by Ghundrith
We need an Aussie server restricted to Australians only.

I'm from new zealand and I think this is a fantastic idea..
I'd be happy if they would actually announce exactly when it's going down (3am/5am/etc) and if it's a rolling restart or full shutdown with ample time (at least a day). Last night had no announcement at all (unless it was put up less than 2 hours before the shutdown). The first anyone knew of it was when the 15min warning was broadcast.

I logged on 4 hours before shutdown and there was a big fat alert (like there is every shutdown) at the login screen. You need to pay more attention. :p
Edited by Cletas on 2/28/2012 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I think everyone needs to stop complaining its a video game thats it its not real life and you act like its the end of the dam world when People that are working in BLIZZ have to WORK may i suggest going out with friends during tuesday as that is the only real day you cant play. For 3-4 hours? And people cry like little girls leave blizz alone if you dont like it dont pay
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
02/14/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Orcsbane
Ahhh those tuesday blues, causing widespread withdrawal symptoms amongst players since 2001 (Or whenever WoW started)

100% true like i said tuesday is only day Blizz makes us wait why not go out for once instead of slobbering over your keyboard clicking the log-in button over and over again to see if you can play yet.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
10/13/2011 11:52 PMPosted by Baneustwo
What I would like to know is why, after all this time, people are still organising raids for a Tuesday night and then complaining about it? When it's perfectly well known that the servers will shut down at that time.......

QFT... Why do people insist on trying to do WoW stuff on Tuesday's? If there isn't maintenance then do some farming or something else, just don't schedule raids, etc for a Tuesday night.

I use Tuesday nights to get an early night.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
04/04/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Whosthat
I use Tuesday nights to get an early night.

I pay my bills (online), do my grocery shop (online) and sleep.

Frees up the rest of my week to play WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/20/2011 10:14 PMPosted by Ghundrith
We need an Aussie server restricted to Australians only.

There are no Aussie servers, there are Oceanic servers. They serve people who operate on similar time tables... including Americans who work at night or live overseas as well as English-speakers throughout Asia. If you want a whole separate set of servers, then you couldn't group up with people on US servers. Might sound nice, but it would increase queue times and decrease your potential to play with friends in other countries.

I live in Korea and love my Aussie-based guild, which includes players in NZ, Japan and America. I love cross realm grouping up with my brother in Texas. I talk to people on my server in Singapore and Hong Kong. I'm disappointed that I can't group with my European and Korean coworkers.

I don't think my situation is all that unique. A Tuesday night shutdown is an inconvenience that seems to be the price of an international experience.
Reply Quote
30 Orc Hunter
pfft, during reboots Wow converts into WOW lite.

no environment, cities or such, just your character screen and Dungeonfinder/bg/pvp options.

pick a character and one of them 3 things,do the Dunge/bg/pvp and return to screen :-pshouldnt take all that much resources just to have a server or few that just had online dungeons etc:-p

still cost more then its prolly worth spending on 8 hrs downtime everyone and awhile :-) would keep most ppl interested though.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Old thread remains relevant. Some consumers may be happy to receive a lower quality product/service while paying a premium, others are not.

Australian consumers will continue to receive second best while they put up with second best. (They will also continue to be price gouged on the cost of games US$84 for digital download of Diablo 3, as opposed to N.A. US$60).

100% true like i said tuesday is only day Blizz makes us wait why not go out for once instead of slobbering over your keyboard clicking the log-in button over and over again to see if you can play yet.

Why would someone feel obliged to orient their social life around a company's maintenance? My North American friends may choose any nights of the week to 'go out', knowing that any other nights they may play in their prime time without restriction.

I would like the same potential play experience that N. Americans receive for the money.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
People doing raids on maintenance night have no one to blame but themselves. I have no problem with it, never have and never will. So it's a few hours away from the game, so what? It can't possibly be the end of the world. :S
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]