Replica armors from new Darkmoon Faire Q.

85 Troll Druid
and even replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs.

My emphasis in that quote is "replica" as I am wondering if this means Blizzard will be bringing back old items/Tiers/weps/etc. with some type of notation on the item to distinguish those who got the item when it was obtainable and who received it after the fact? Something like "Shadow of.... <insert item name>." Also what about weapons & unobtainable shields? Will the Darkmoon Faire expand its services in the future?

A blue said they don't plan to bring back Tier 3/naxx items at the launch of 4.3, but does that mean the shady folks working at the Darkmoon Faire have plans on bringing these items back once they compile enough to stock their shelves? (Aka is Blizzard discussing internally whether they think its a good idea to bring this stuff back?)

My opinion on this: I'm not a huge fan of bringing back T3 and some of the really rare stuff from vanilla, but knowing full well how hard and grindy the Darkmoon Faire has been in the past I can see this perhaps being an acceptable way to keep these items both rare for the players who have them while available to players who really want them.
Edited by Woodheys on 8/25/2011 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
08/25/2011 01:35 PMPosted by Woodheys
but knowing full well how hard and grindy the Darkmoon Faire has been in the past I can see this perhaps being an acceptable way to keep these items both rare for the players who have them while available to players who really want them.

There is no indication that the DMF is going to be grindy at all. In fact I'd expect it to turn into the usual "lol just do sum dailies or throw on a tabard for a few weeks to get exalted".

So no, the rewards you speak of will not be rare. They will likely be just as common as 'the Insane' title which you will soon see more often than 'Jenkins'.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I can easily see...

Bonesythe Helmet
Uncommon
Binds when picked up
Head, Leather
20 Armor
+1 Agility
+2 Stamina
Requires Level 60
Equip: Increases your hit rating by 1.
Equip: Increases your critical rating by 2.
"It almost feels as if it's made of ...plastic."
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Most likely the dungeon sets, tier 3 and vengefull. All of which (sans vengefull) were most likely more easily obtainted by farming trivial dungeons and raids so I don't really see the need to rename it although I wouldn't be bothered at all by that.
Edited by Kittysox on 8/25/2011 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I can easily see...

Bonesythe Helmet
Uncommon
Binds when picked up
Head, Leather
20 Armor
+1 Agility
+2 Stamina
Requires Level 60
Equip: Increases your hit rating by 1.
Equip: Increases your critical rating by 2.
"It almost feels as if it's made of ...plastic."

Thanks for making my day. The flavor text is priceless.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid

They will likely be just as common as 'the Insane' title which you will soon see more often than 'Jenkins'.

I think you are exaggerating a bit here and even with a comparable difficulty of a "nerfed" insane title to complete an entire look-a-like set of tier 3 would be good enough for me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
As they're offering it for the Transmogrification, I doubt that the item will be any more than what Blackriver has described. Maybe even without stats, and just green, or something. The point is that it is a template for Transmogrification so that you can appear to be wearing that model, not that you actually "earned"* the item itself.

*Prestige is progressive, and having done something at "once-max-level" or "before-nerf" means little except that you have those memories and were once prestigious. If you want to be competitive, strive to stay with the current level of content. That is where the game is mostly fine-tuned, and intended to be most challenging.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
So no, the rewards you speak of will not be rare. They will likely be just as common as 'the Insane' title which you will soon see more often than 'Jenkins'.

I have only ever seen, to date, four people with that title on two different servers and through rdf. Let's stop pretending that despite the removal of grinds and gear checks, some things are still relatively rare. Not everyone has Ashes of A'lar. Not everyone has Kingslayer. If you do have these things, time stamps on achievements can still confirm how dedicated you were to getting them before they became a simple matter. You can still feel special about some things, ok?

Anyway, in regards to how good this could be, well, it would be nice to get that gladiator's staff from BC back, the one that had two large pinkish crystals floating on top of each other. If anything, more selection of gear means more unique choices can be made, and this is definitely a good thing.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We haven't fully solidified the list of old items/sets that will make a return via the Darkmoon Faire carnies. We'll let you know once we've locked down what's for sale there in patch 4.3, but yes, we're likely to expand the vendor list in future updates.

"Replica" does mean that these items may very well just be art skins made available specifically for use with Transmogrification, devoid of their original stats. Once you copy those skins onto another item though, I don't know that one would be able to tell the difference between whether you earned the look back in the day, or from the Darkmoon Faire. Only the name of the item from which you're pulling art will be shown in the tooltip of the item you have equipped. So if the names of the items aren't changed when placed on Darkmoon Faire vendors, a player inspecting you wouldn't know the difference once you've mogged your look.

My emphasis in that quote is "replica" as I am wondering if this means Blizzard will be bringing back old items/Tiers/weps/etc. with some type of notation on the item to distinguish those who got the item when it was obtainable and who received it after the fact? Something like "Shadow of.... <insert item name>." Also what about weapons & unobtainable shields? Will the Darkmoon Faire expand its services in the future?
Edited by Zarhym on 8/25/2011 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

They will likely be just as common as 'the Insane' title which you will soon see more often than 'Jenkins'.

I think you are exaggerating a bit here and even with a comparable difficulty of a "nerfed" insane title to complete an entire look-a-like set of tier 3 would be good enough for me.

I agree it needs to be a major grind to get but, was it t hat difficult to steamroll at 70 in tier 5? No, it was not.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Paladin
We haven't fully solidified the list of old items/sets that will make a return via the Darkmoon Faire carnies. We'll let you know once we've locked down what's for sale there in patch 4.3, but yes, we're likely to expand the vendor list in future updates.

"Replica" does mean that these items may very well just be art skins made available specifically for use with Transmogrification, devoid of their original stats. Once you copy those skins onto another item though, I don't know that one would be able to tell the difference between whether you earned the look back in the day, or from the Darkmoon Faire. Only the name of the item from which you're pulling art will be shown in the tooltip of the item you have equipped. So if the names of the items aren't changed when placed on Darkmoon Faire vendors, a player inspecting you wouldn't know the difference once you've mogged your look.

Neat!

I like this idea. A lot.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
08/25/2011 02:16 PMPosted by Brenri
I have only ever seen, to date, four people with that title on two different servers and through rdf. Let's stop pretending that despite the removal of grinds and gear checks, some things are still relatively rare. Not everyone has Ashes of A'lar. Not everyone has Kingslayer. If you do have these things, time stamps on achievements can still confirm how dedicated you were to getting them before they became a simple matter. You can still feel special about some things, ok?

Is it wrong to want some things in the game outside raiding and pvp to take even a little tiny bit of dedication? : (
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I would prefer that they are a recolor or something. I don't like the idea of completely removing the benefit of having grinded and saved these legacy sets for years taking up precious bank space to have something visually unique to wear on occasion.

It seems like they are removing even the very small number of ways one can try to be a special unique snowflake.

Nobody is taking any benefit away from anybody. What is up with gamers and needing to be "the only one"? Didn't anybody teach you all to share back in preschool?

You earned the item a long time ago, and therefore have had a long time to use it when nobody else could. You had the stats from the item back then, you had the looks from the item from back then to 4.3. While bank space isn't unlimited, it's not exactly a huge sacrifice to save things in it you want to keep, and just because you choose to do so should not limit other people from ever being able to get something again.

It's perfectly reasonable to say "I want this to stay prestigious, so please require people put in effort to acquire it like I had to", and a whole other thing to say "I got this item a long time ago and because I did, I should be unique and special and nobody else should ever be able to get it again". Especially when, as has been said repeatedly, the circumstances of the tier 3 sets means that very very few people actually ever "earned" them as a cutting edge 60 raider, and most simply went and pushed around some inferior bosses as level 70 raiders for free shinies.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

Will you be coming up with new darkmoon decks for a scribe?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I would prefer that they are a recolor or something. I don't like the idea of completely removing the benefit of having grinded and saved these legacy sets for years taking up precious bank space to have something visually unique to wear on occasion.

It seems like they are removing even the very small number of ways one can try to be a special unique snowflake.

That's just the problem, this is a game that doesn't really allow for that. Games like Second Life are for that. This will bring a refreshing look for sure back to the game since some combo's won't be as popular but in the case of removed armors like Tier 3, only like 13 guilds worldwide (the two that are off the top of my head are Death & Taxes, and Nihilium) did Naxx when it was actually content before BC, and the majority of those players don't play anymore. The rest are people who went back with 10 / 15 people while wearing t5 / t6 and stomped the place before it was removed.

I mean I've seen a large number of players who never even knew that Corrupted Ashbringer was once available to be wielded, let alone tier 3 gear even existing or Atiesh. There should be a way to get those again...well maybe NOT Corrupted Ashbringer as that would break lore...but the original Tier 3 colors like the ORIGINAL warrior Dreadnaught...in all it's wicked, death knight looking glory, should be back.
Edited by Phaaze on 8/25/2011 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager

We do understand that concern, which is why we're implementing this feature in a more conservative manner than some would even like. Ultimately, Transmogrification gives folks a wide array of new customization options, but we do want to have some restrictions in place to keep character looks from getting too ridiculous, and to make sure all previous sets in the game aren't absolutely free for all.

I'd still caution you to avoid drawing very distinct and speculative conclusions at this stage about all of the Transmogrification rule sets, features, and limitations. It's great to hear feedback on what players hope this system will (or will not) be, but it's not really worth it for anyone to spend too much time laying out concerns about details that haven't yet been provided in full.

We are in constant discussion with our developers in order that we compile a comprehensive article of the various item rules, features, and restrictions coming with Transmogrification in patch 4.3. ;)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid

I agree it needs to be a major grind to get but, was it t hat difficult to steamroll at 70 in tier 5? No, it was not.

I went back and did Naxx at 70 to complete Atiesh and 3 piece of Tier 3 I didn't get because they weren't BiS for me at the time in Vanilla and I can say it wasn't a steamroll as a lot of people think it was. We had to find a group of 35-40 players who had the pre-reqs complete to even enter the instance and once in there some fights still were challenging. Couple this with no DKP/loot council like back in vanilla but rather your fate is at the hands of the RNG gods for some of the stuff outside of abom stitching's etc.

But that cute little story wasn't my reason for responding. Whether steam-rolled or obtained at 60 its still a tier set that pre-dates most people playing this game today. Blizzard has never been a huge pro-ponent of rewarding long time customers of this game with anything substantial, but I would hope they do realize that the only players who still have tier 3 and are still playing are some of their biggest and most hardcore fans. Keeping a subscription active for 7 years or even being an early adopter of the game and playing in Vanilla should be rewarded with something right?

Bring the Tier 3 art back if that's what makes the player base happy. Just maybe consider giving a little nod to all of these dedicated customers who have the old T0/T.5/T3 by renaming the replica gear and making somewhat challenging feats to obtain it.
Edited by Woodheys on 8/25/2011 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight

We do understand that concern, which is why we're implementing this feature in a more conservative manner than some would even like. Ultimately, Transmogrification gives folks a wide array of new customization options, but we do want to have some restrictions in place to keep character looks from getting too ridiculous, and to make sure all previous sets in the game aren't absolutely free for all.

How can this be a consideration? There has always been an outcry since the day something like Naxx40 was removed to have a way to get the armor back, especially in the classic coloration. Almost every warrior I have ever spoken to (myself included lol when I used to be a warrior) agrees that the Tier 7 recolor was a complete failure compared to the classic color. And the fact that nowhere in Naxx80 can you even get a non-set version, identical in color match, to the original t3, is a really frustrating thing.

And they don't have to be free for all. It's no big secret that Blizzard adores goldsinks / timesinks. Whynot have a reputation requirement with Darkmoon fair and then have each piece of Tier 3 for example, be about 5k or 10k gold. That way the items technically are back in the game but not without some serious effort and cost?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]