Replica armors from new Darkmoon Faire Q.

90 Human Paladin
Just curious, but what about just sets of armor in general? For example...some of the older Platekini sets. Takes a while to farm these..and they are only greens.
Just throwing an idea out there, would be nice to see.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
08/25/2011 02:24 PMPosted by Otterlover
Is it wrong to want some things in the game outside raiding and pvp to take even a little tiny bit of dedication? : (

The sets are very special but don't confuse that with the sets were difficult to obtain in late tbc, they were not.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
08/25/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Woodheys
Bring the Tier 3 art back if that's what makes the player base happy. Just maybe consider giving a little nod to all of these dedicated customers who have the old T0/T.5/T3 by renaming the replica gear and making somewhat challenging feats to obtain it.

I respect you for getting ateish. And your statement there, is to me, an acceptable outcome. At least let us get those classic colorations back in some form.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
I like the idea of not being able to tell if you mogged from the original set or the new replica. The appeal of obtaining the originals was being able to use the originals when they were relevant, not holding a monopoly over them for all eternity.

I'd rather have the old armor back with their full stats for the same reason, but eh, I can settle for at least looking like I'm wearing Tier 3.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
We haven't fully solidified the list of old items/sets that will make a return via the Darkmoon Faire carnies. We'll let you know once we've locked down what's for sale there in patch 4.3, but yes, we're likely to expand the vendor list in future updates.

"Replica" does mean that these items may very well just be art skins made available specifically for use with Transmogrification, devoid of their original stats. Once you copy those skins onto another item though, I don't know that one would be able to tell the difference between whether you earned the look back in the day, or from the Darkmoon Faire. Only the name of the item from which you're pulling art will be shown in the tooltip of the item you have equipped. So if the names of the items aren't changed when placed on Darkmoon Faire vendors, a player inspecting you wouldn't know the difference once you've mogged your look.

My emphasis in that quote is "replica" as I am wondering if this means Blizzard will be bringing back old items/Tiers/weps/etc. with some type of notation on the item to distinguish those who got the item when it was obtainable and who received it after the fact? Something like "Shadow of.... <insert item name>." Also what about weapons & unobtainable shields? Will the Darkmoon Faire expand its services in the future?

Thanks for the clarification, and I'm ultimately fine with the "replicas" looking the same as the original armor if that's the route you guys decide to go, but I would suggest some slight form of being able to tell if it's a replica or the original item once it has been transmogrified; even if it's just as simple as making the name of the item different such as was expressed in the original post you quoted with "Shadow of..." or "Echoes of..." or "Replica of..." etc.

Furthermore, if you guys decide to go as far as bringing back T3 or Naxx40 gear (which I'm still hoping you don't), a nod to the original Naxx-goers in the form of a Feat of Strength (like you did with Agent of Shendralar) would also be much appreciated. :)

Just my 2¢, and thanks again for your post.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

I agree it needs to be a major grind to get but, was it t hat difficult to steamroll at 70 in tier 5? No, it was not.

I went back and did Naxx at 70 to complete Atiesh and 3 piece of Tier 3 I didn't get because they weren't BiS for me at the time in Vanilla and I can say it wasn't a steamroll as a lot of people think it was. We had to find a group of 35-40 players who had the pre-reqs complete to even enter the instance and once in there some fights still were challenging. Couple this with no DKP/loot council like back in vanilla but rather your fate is at the hands of the RNG gods for some of the stuff outside of abom stitching's etc.

But that cute little story wasn't my reason for responding. Whether steam-rolled or obtained at 60 its still a tier set that pre-dates most people playing this game today. Blizzard has never been a huge pro-ponent of rewarding long time customers of this game with anything but I would hope they do realize that the only players who still have tier 3 and are still playing are some of their biggest and most hardcore fans. Keeping a subscription active for 7 years or even being an early adopter of the game and playing in Vanilla should be rewarded with something right?

Bring the Tier 3 art back if that's what makes the player base happy. Just maybe consider giving a little nod to all of these dedicated customers who have the old T0/T.5/T3 by renaming the replica gear and making somewhat challenging feats to obtain it.

I don't think anyone would oppose a little recognition for the original. And I wen't on one of those late tbc runs and well we cheesed the rep just like everyone did in vanilla as well with a warlock summon but it was still yes quite difficult (we didn't finish.) A statless armor skin with the nomenclature that it is so, viewable via armory or inspection sounds totally reasonable to me.

Still though not insane in the membrane grind, it was just never that hard.
Edited by Kittysox on 8/25/2011 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/25/2011 02:32 PMPosted by Araeya
"I got this item a long time ago and because I did, I should be unique and special and nobody else should ever be able to get it again".

And one of the problems I personally have with anyone who might state this hypothetical, is that I did earn several cool sets back in the day which I'd love to sport once again. But as we didn't plan for this feature all along, I deleted sets I knew I'd never wear for stat benefits in order to save inventory space. I told myself, "yes, you look cool in this, but don't be a pack rat if you're not going to wander around towns in outmoded sets." I wager a lot of long-time WoW players are in the same boat. And a deleted/sold item is only kept in our database logs for so long before the record of one having owned that item is erased.

The majority of the gear sets in this game are still possible to obtain, so that's awesome. To me it's a cool side effect of this feature to encourage people to return to some old places, filled with nostalgia, to collect gear just for the look -- not the power.

There are, however, some sets or items which can no longer be found in the game. So we're keeping track of some of the items and sets players are really wanting to see make a return in some fashion. The Darkmoon Faire revamp in patch 4.3 provides but one new way players can slip into familiar looks from the past. :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
08/25/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Woodheys

I don't mind having to work through a challenge to obtain things, in fact, I prefer it. I also don't mind recognizing players whom have achieved more than I have. What I do mind, is when those players think it is okay, nay, preferable, to restrict access to portions of the game that have anything to do with their prestigious reward.

It's like asking for previous content to be shut down and inaccessible after each new content patch. It's understandable that the reward may be obtained differently or more easily as time passes--cherish the memories you have of getting it, because that is the one thing no one else can obtain.

EDIT: Bah, that came across differently than I intended. I agree you earned it, and I agree the new stuff should reflect that.
Edited by Ruminant on 8/25/2011 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think if you are proud of what you have accomplished in the past...it's the journey and your triumphs that you are proud of. The gear is an afterthought, it's only a symbol to those who need others to see what they have done. As opposed to being pleased on a personal level and not needing outside accolades to feel gratified.

Someone else wearing a skin of some old gear, does not take away from the accomplishment of people who actually did the content when it was around.
That's just my thoughts on this.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
We haven't fully solidified the list of old items/sets that will make a return via the Darkmoon Faire carnies. We'll let you know once we've locked down what's for sale there in patch 4.3, but yes, we're likely to expand the vendor list in future updates.

"Replica" does mean that these items may very well just be art skins made available specifically for use with Transmogrification, devoid of their original stats. Once you copy those skins onto another item though, I don't know that one would be able to tell the difference between whether you earned the look back in the day, or from the Darkmoon Faire. Only the name of the item from which you're pulling art will be shown in the tooltip of the item you have equipped. So if the names of the items aren't changed when placed on Darkmoon Faire vendors, a player inspecting you wouldn't know the difference once you've mogged your look.

Thanks for the clarification, and I'm ultimately fine with the "replicas" looking the same as the original armor if that's the route you guys decide to go, but I would suggest some slight form of being able to tell if it's a replica or the original item once it has been transmogrified; even if it's just as simple as making the name of the item different such as was expressed in the original post you quoted with "Shadow of..." or "Echoes of..." or "Replica of..." etc.

Furthermore, if you guys decide to go as far as bringing back T3 or Naxx40 gear (which I'm still hoping you don't), a nod to the original Naxx-goers in the form of a Feat of Strength (like you did with Agent of Shendralar) would also be much appreciated. :)

Just my 2¢, and thanks again for your post.

I'm still not understanding why some people are opposed to bringing old Gear Sets back. Cool, you got it when it cool. Some people weren't around when raiding those dungeons were possible.

Also, what difference does it make when the item was gotten? You won't be able to tell if I had a set of T1 or T2 back in Vanilla or if I went and farmed it yesterday. Does that lessen the achievement some people feel of having gotten the gear when it was viable? No.

I see you wearing your T3 as if to somehow prove a point. However, your viewpoint is coming off as more of an elitist thing then a community building idea. There will only be a limited amount of people who would say, "I got this gear when it was HARD!". Most will be happy to be able to actually see it while raiding again.

Also, like Zarhym stated, I deleted most of my old tier gear because I thought my bank had a more valuable use of storing things I needed.
Edited by Orikfricai on 8/25/2011 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There should be no expectation of Blizzard to provide for your unique special snowflake-ness. If something is available in-game, it's not unique. How you put together your "look" is up to you and your creativity or lack thereof, good taste or color-blindness, fashion do's & don'ts.

Nobody really cares what you look like...except you, if you care at all. I don't. Shadowform covers all.

That something is coming to allow for some of this Barbie doll dress-up function is pretty neat and frackin silly at the same time. Either way, the anticipation will keep the subscriptions in force, ne?

Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Why do people want Tier 3 so badly? It's the same as Tier 7, except Tier 3 has lower polygon count, bad textures and crap light relfection compared to the Tier 7. The only reason I can think anyone at all would want Tier 3 is because they want a color that is available for Tier 3 but not for Tier 7.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Nobody is taking any benefit away from anybody. What is up with gamers and needing to be "the only one"? Didn't anybody teach you all to share back in preschool?

You could try and look at this another way. Lets call it "An Honor". In the past Blizzard has gifted individuals with special things. Examples? They granted the wish of a young boy to design a weapon. They name NPC's after players who they feel they want to recognize. They reward valued posters in the community with a special posting color and recognition.

Some players value a little recognition. That is why some players vehemently pursue achievement mounts. There is nothing wrong with that. If you subscribe to the idea that everyone deserves a trophy, that is fine as well.

Just understand that some people want to protect the unique nature of something they worked hard to obtain. A fake Mona Lisa may look like the real thing but everyone knows its a fake.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Any chance of maybe hard-to-get but available sets like for exampled T8 being included?
Edited by Moatilliatta on 8/25/2011 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
08/25/2011 03:01 PMPosted by Psionik
Nobody is taking any benefit away from anybody. What is up with gamers and needing to be "the only one"? Didn't anybody teach you all to share back in preschool?

You could try and look at this another way. Lets call it "An Honor". In the past Blizzard has gifted individuals with special things. Examples? They granted the wish of a young boy to design a weapon. They name NPC's after players who they feel they want to recognize. They reward valued posters in the community with a special posting color and recognition.

Some players value a little recognition. That is why some players vehemently pursue achievement mounts. There is nothing wrong with that. If you subscribe to the idea that everyone deserves a trophy, that is fine as well.

Just understand that some people want to protect the unique nature of something they worked hard to obtain. A fake Mona Lisa may look like the real thing but everyone knows its a fake.

However, if everybody knew you had the ORIGINAL Mona Lisa, and there was a way to replicate it completely in it's entirety, everybody will still know YOU have the ORIGINAL and theirs are all replicates.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Transmogrification of gear seems to be what most people care about now… What about Tabards?

I’d simply be thrilled if I can store tabards at cheap price via the Void Storage. For some odd reason I’ve been collecting those for some time & that’s what’s hurting my bank space. I wonder if there’s a way to combine these 2 things?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
08/25/2011 03:02 PMPosted by Moatilliatta
Any chance of maybe hard-to-get but available sets like for exampled T8 being included?

But it's still in the game. And it's stupidly easy to find a group farming the achievement mount. And I wouldn't expect it to be "easy" thats just asking for a handout.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Paladin
I have a feeling with Darkmoon Faire being involved, it might be more of a grind to get the replica sets than it would be to farm some of the originals that are still available in the game.

Just because armor sets become available, doesn't mean that significant effort won't be required to earn them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
And one of the problems I personally have with anyone who might state this hypothetical, is that I did earn several cool sets back in the day which I'd love to sport once again. But as we didn't plan for this feature all along, I deleted sets I knew I'd never wear for stat benefits in order to save inventory space. I told myself, "yes, you look cool in this, but don't be a pack rat if you're not going to wander around towns in outmoded sets." I wager a lot of long-time WoW players are in the same boat. And a deleted/sold item is only kept in our database logs for so long before the record of one having owned that item is erased.

The majority of the gear sets in this game are still possible to obtain, so that's awesome. To me it's a cool side effect of this feature to encourage people to return to some old places, filled with nostalgia, to collect gear just for the look -- not the power.

There are, however, some sets or items which can no longer be found in the game. So we're keeping track of some of the items and sets players are really wanting to see make a return in some fashion. The Darkmoon Faire revamp in patch 4.3 provides but one new way players can slip into familiar looks from the past. :)

It's been a nightmare trying to make the decisions of what to keep or toss since I have been playing. I'm sure it's been stated elsewhere, but you cannot give a dagger the appearance of a sword right? I have a couple of 1.5 non dagger weps I'd like to be able to sport again at some point.

Transmogrification of gear seems to be what most people care about now… What about Tabards?

I’d simply be thrilled if I can store tabards at cheap price via the Void Storage. For some odd reason I’ve been collecting those for some time & that’s what’s hurting my bank space. I wonder if there’s a way to combine these 2 things?

I think its "in the works" to make these like the drop down menu like titles, the hangup being Account bound ones and the ones with a use effect.
Edited by Deathbyrd on 8/25/2011 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If Tier 7 is a recolored Tier 3, adding a re-recolored Tier 7 and sending everyone back to Naxx would at least make players work for their tmog sets instead of just buying them from a vendor. You could even put a DMF vendor on the platform under Naxx for trading in tokens for the original-color pieces.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]