Low Shadow Priest DPS

85 Undead Priest
I have read all the sticky posts and I am still curious about why my dps is so low... At random ZA/ZG dungeons I have pulled 13k dps on boss fights and that is buffed, but I pull at most if lucky 11k and pull most of the time 8k-9k dps. My gear isn't the best but it isn't bad either... I am doing the rotation and popping shadow fiend and Archangel after putting up all my dots and still low dps :( i don't know what I am doing wrong... And also do we reaply VT? or do we just let that go away and only use it as a opener?

Please check out my gear and stuff and tell me if I have have all my gems and reforging right and no I do not have enchants yet do to I am waiting to get better gear before getting it all so of not to waste gold.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
3 missing glyphs
9 unenchanted items
no belt buckle

Do everything you need to do THEN worry about your DPS. Cuz at this point, it's not the mechanics, it's you.

ps. with your gear and dps, you're not raiding. Hint: You don't need that much Hit. Moar Haste!

Edited by Vixie on 8/31/2011 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

^
Also: Considering that you have ilvl 346 trinkets + weapon, i'd say you're fine.
Without glyphs/chants i'd say the occasional 13k is pretty good.
Upgrade those, and you'll see a nice DPS jump.
Edited by Muawijhe on 8/31/2011 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Priest
As others have stated, you are missing a lot of enchants, go with something like I have on my char and you will see nice DPS boost.
Also move from hit into some haste if you can and I would not reforge anything to any spirit, turn that into haste or mastery because spirit really provides you very little benefit. Remember, spirit is only effective while not casting so during a fight, more spirit gives NO benefit. Mastery would give a lot more.

Get to at least 12% haste and that will give you some more periodical spell ticks (I think DP is 1 more tick at 12%).
And as per your comment:
ALWAYS keep VT up, make sure you re-apply VT before it ends (same with DP obviously), also preferably if you have just popped orbs and other cooldowns (Archangel, haste/SP trinkets).

With more enchants you will boost you intellect quite a bit, which alone will see close to 500 DPS boost.
Most of them you can get on AH but the head enchant you will need to get from therazene rep in Deepholm (area called therazene from memory up north of deepholm).
Edited by Daveó on 8/31/2011 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
08/31/2011 07:52 PMPosted by Reconciled
Use your brain.

Failing that, read the sticky. I hear "I read the sticky" so often paired with "I do x" (wrong!) that I don't even care if a person has said they've read it. Read it again!
Edited by Elethia on 9/2/2011 8:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Haste, haste and more haste...did I mention haste? I think the others mentioned it but you need to work on your current gear some and fix the reforging.

For a good view of what to do on your gear, try mrrobot.com or wowreforge.com. Now don't take those as the end call be all type of websites and you really should have goals of where your stats are (see the stickies) but it will certainly help you increase your dps by getting you out of your poor reforging.

Also, I see you did some spirit reforging? Are you having mana problems? If so, you may not be using SW:Death in your rotation to regain your mana which is why you are having problems. At your ilevel, you should not be having mana problems if you are popping sw:death on every cd (this should give you enough mana to prevent you from having to disperse during longer encounters). Don't forget shadow fiend.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

Also, I see you did some spirit reforging?

Spirit=Hit this is ok to reforge into. But otherwise reforge into haste it is ok to keep hit a little under cap if your not raiding yet. Crit is useless as everyone has said. Mastery is only ok if an item has spirit/hit and haste and you are above hit cap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage

Also, I see you did some spirit reforging?

Spirit=Hit this is ok to reforge into. But otherwise reforge into haste it is ok to keep hit a little under cap if your not raiding yet. Crit is useless as everyone has said. Mastery is only ok if an item has spirit/hit and haste and you are above hit cap.

I understand that but you don't reforge mastery/haste into spirit just to increase your hit (unless you are exceptionally low). There are other ways of doing this and as of yesterday, there was way too much reforging into spirit going on.

It's ok to be below hit cap and you can even be pretty far under hit cap without any significant loss to your dps. We aren't missing out on a 50k crit if we miss, we are missing a tick and a gcd which pales in comparison to other classes...which is the reason we can be far below the hit cap and not really suffer.

I was trying to make sure he understood the mechanics of how to regen mana via SW:D and not suffering from the "my regen sucks" syndrome because it's a mechanic that people sometimes aren't aware of and feel they need more spirit to keep regen up. (maybe I should have asked a different way).
Reply Quote
Also keep in mind this 17% hit everyone's talking about is NOT necessary for troll heroics. The 17% hit cap is necessary to hit raid bosses 100% of the time. Worry about maxing hit out when it matters. Otherwise, haste haste and more haste. You want those extra ticks!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I know that but I also stated that I do not have enchants because I am going to be getting better gear. Also what glyphs would I need?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Idk if you've already read this but, definitely check out this sticky on Shadow Priests. It should have all the answers you need and more: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1764409092
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I thank you for the nice post. I am hear to learn and not be called stupid for something I may have missed in reading the sticky posts or anything else. I thank the ones that actualy gave me tips of what I could fix about my priest.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/05/2011 01:05 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
Idk if you've already read this but, definitely check out this sticky on Shadow Priests. It should have all the answers you need and more: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1764409092

lol I thank you for the post and link but I guess you didn't read the first sentence of my post XD
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I didn't call you stupid or anything ;_; I just thought you would've benefitted from reading that post as it has Glyph information (and even more).

/hangs head

/walks away

And apologies, I read your first post a few days ago. Didn't refresh what was in it when I responded today. Please don't be so hasty in how you judge people trying to help you.

Prime Glyphs = Glyph of Mind Flay, Glyph of Shadow Word: Pain, Glyph of Shadow Word: Death. If a fight has too much damage during the execute phase and you may kill yourself with SW:Death, Glyph of Dispersion can be a good glyph to swap to as well.
Major Glyphs = Glyph of Spirit Tap, Glyph of Psychic Scream, Glyph of Fade are ones I'd recommend.
Minor Glyphs = Glyph of Fortitude, Glyph of Fading, Glyph of Levitate
Edited by Ashleycakez on 9/5/2011 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Oh no not you Ashley<3 I was meaning the other people and they know who they are. I didn't mean to come off rude me sorry :) pls except my opology. I love that you actually posted something i can look at other than making a smart coment about how I am a bady. You actuall posted something I can use. I appreciate it. No hard feelings :)

Also just to state there are not many glyphs out there for a PvE shadow priest they are mostly for PvP and do not do much for DPS and mostly to stay alive durring pvp. Yes I have the Major glyphs. Only thing I truly need are enchants.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
09/05/2011 01:43 PMPosted by Unpriesty
Also just to state there are not many glyphs out there for a PvE shadow priest they are mostly for PvP and do not do much for DPS and mostly to stay alive durring pvp.

Mehhh maybe the Major/Minor glyphs. The Prime glyphs are pretty clear cut which three are optimal for PvE and which one isn't. Dispersion can be good on very high damage fights instead of SW:Death because you've gotta remember dead dps doesn't dps. ;)

Btw, apology accepted <3 If someone asks for help I'll be more than happy to do my best!
Edited by Ashleycakez on 9/5/2011 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

I understand that but you don't reforge mastery/haste into spirit just to increase your hit (unless you are exceptionally low). There are other ways of doing this and as of yesterday, there was way too much reforging into spirit going on.

It's ok to be below hit cap and you can even be pretty far under hit cap without any significant loss to your dps. We aren't missing out on a 50k crit if we miss, we are missing a tick and a gcd which pales in comparison to other classes...which is the reason we can be far below the hit cap and not really suffer.

I was trying to make sure he understood the mechanics of how to regen mana via SW:D and not suffering from the "my regen sucks" syndrome because it's a mechanic that people sometimes aren't aware of and feel they need more spirit to keep regen up. (maybe I should have asked a different way).

Ok just wanted to make clear. You keep saying that I do not need to be hit capped atm only because I am not raiding, "but i plan on to in the future just not the time to do so." That said what would be a good spot to be with my hit?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
^.^ :D <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]