WoW Machinima Tool

85 Night Elf Druid
Does the WoW Machinima Tool count as a hack and is it safe to use on live servers or is this a bannable offense? Looking for some straight forward answers since I can't seem to get any else where (Would love a Blue to clarify this for me).
Edited by Rhuu on 8/28/2011 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Its bannable.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
08/28/2011 10:51 PMPosted by Renwald
Its bannable.

No it's not. Otherwise the machinima team would be banned nearly everyday.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This is the argument that seems to come up in every place this question is asked. I wish a blue would just tell us straight if it isnt or isnt.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
08/29/2011 10:41 AMPosted by Rhuu
I wish a blue would just tell us straight if it isnt or isnt.

They won't, and probably never will.

Why?

Because as with any third-party software, even if it's perfectly fine now, either the program or the rules could change, and said confirmation could come back to bite Blizzard in the bottom months or years down the road.

Based on what I'm seeing of this program, here's my (non-Blizzard) opinion:

Yes, it does technically violate the Terms of Use, due to the way that it interacts with the WoW client. However, it's not something that's really "abuseable", and because it has a legitimate use (machinima-making, which is condoned and endorsed by Blizzard), it's not likely that they're going to completely stomp it out.

tl;dr: If you use it for making machinima, you'll probably be fine. If you use it for other things (such as using a "free" camera to "scout" things you shouldn't be), you won't be.
"Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, stronger, more beautiful." -- Harry Dresden
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Blizzard did have a Machinima policy on the old website, but it does not seem to have transitioned to the new website. Here it is archived -

http://web.archive.org/web/20101107211345/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/community/machinima/letter.html

The email mentioned at the bottom may still be active for inquiries - machinima@blizzard.com
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for the replies guys. I think I will take the chance and try it out.. Also, I sent an email to that address so it is still up and open, whether I get a response from it is another issue though haha.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Make sure you send the email from your battle.net account email. While I do not know about specifically on that email, in general the only emails that are considered are ones that are associated with a valid battle.net account, the rest are dismissed.
Edited by Maul on 8/29/2011 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]