The *NEW* Worgen racial mounts ain't new...

100 Dwarf Paladin
It's a small feature that is well worth the tiny amount of dev time needed to implement it.

What does it really do?

1. Allows Worgen players to purchase a Horse (which are seen and used throughout their starting area) without becoming exalted with Stormwind.
2. Evens out the number of mounts across factions.
3. Gives players a reason to become exalted with Gilneas.

I know some players were hoping for a more unique mount, but to be honest there wasn't any other mount that really fit the Worgen. Gilneans used horses just like all other Humans, and there's no real reason why they would adopt a completely different animal.

I admit back before Cataclysm launched I was a proponent of the idea of using Worgen-curse afflicted horses that would become regular horses if a Worgen owner was in Human form while riding (everyone else would have them locked into "worgen" form), but I'll admit the ship has sailed there. Such a mount would have to be established in the Worgen starting area for it to work out.
1 Troll Mage
See - giving Worgen their own horses is totally understandable and rational - and "Well, running wild is the UNIQUE mount - this is just to keep mount counts even" would've been a perfectly acceptable excuse... If you, one, did it when Cata came out, and, two, hadn't just posted it up on the main site as if it's a big new feature.

You realize that, like, 95% of all people who read your sites are NOT going to go "YIPPIE! I get two more notches on my "number of mounts" bar!", yes? Most people don't commit themselves to getting the big-time many mounts achievements. They do not think that the fact that, next patch, they'll get two more mounts that do nothing more than pad their number is good news. Or even news. Or even relevant.

This is the sort of thing that you should not have proudly marched before the public as if you expected confetti and fanfare.

It should've been a footnote in the final patchnotes.
Edited by Loteno on 9/1/2011 1:19 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Death Knight
The intention with the new mounts was just to honor player concerns about achievements and even up the mount totals between the alliance and the horde. It’s something people had been requesting since the release of Cataclysm, so we’re evening up the numbers by giving the Alliance some additional mounts to add to their totals.

The Worgen racial mount is Running Wild. These are just some extra horses, for your horse needs. Perhaps the blog should have been titled 'New Gilnean Faction Mount'? Or maybe just 'Wyld Stallyns'? We may actually edit the blog to clarify why these mounts were added. To be clear, it’s not because we think worgen look their awesomest riding horses.

I'm mostly indifferent to this, but I do have to agree with others saying that these Gilnean horses are vastly underwhelming. On one hand, I do appreciate that you folks have addressed the mount imbalance issue. I'm not a mount collector really, so this doesn't affect me. However, I do understand why other players are concerned about this.

Adding these two horses is a nice gesture. I see you mean well and that's good, but it does come off as though Blizzard is being dismissive and patronizing. Perhaps that's hyperbole, but my point is that it wouldn't hurt to make these horses distinguishable from the Stormwind varieties.
100 Human Mage
Or maybe just Wyld Stallyns

That would be totally awesome.
85 Human Death Knight
09/01/2011 01:09 PMPosted by Maiyr
The epic one should of at least been armored with Gilnean Art.

This is where the problem comes, from my point of view. At what point in that post did it suggest either of those horses was the epic mount? Or that those were going to be the ONLY two options to purchase?

Seriously, for those of you whining about THAT part of the new mounts, maybe you should actually wait until we know for sure how the mounts will shake out. But suggesting that what's in the post is it, is patently ignorant.

I think it just as ignorant to believe that they would add or change anything without some sort of feedback. Perhaps the palomino and white horses will be the epic mounts, but we have zero indication that's the case. If they give us two screen shots and the response had been "ooo fantastic, thanks!" they would have made one epic and one normal.

I'm not an achievement chaser or mount collector so I don't know how they count the mounts, but that's two. If there's also a Palomino and White Stallion (or whatever) wouldn't that mean the imbalance would go from Horde having two more mounts to Alliance having two more mounts? Or does color not matter? Honest question. If color matters, if that would mean four mounts to add to the Alliance count, then I think it safe to assume those two are all we'll get. If the count only sees a normal and epic mount even if you have two colors of each, then you have a point.

Not sure I'm being clear. Does it count the Gilneas normal mount as one and the epic mount as another, or does it count (for example) a brown Gilneas normal mount as one, a black Gilneas normal mount as two, a palomino Gilneas epic mount as three and a white Gilneas epic mount as four?
ok.... the horses look better than the alliance ones..(default alliance horses... beat the crap out of the armored ones that look exactly the same...) but.... in addition to the new muscles, they have what appear to be tear stains... mind explaining what caused them to cry?

edit: Do you as both a CM and a Player.... do you consider the new mounts to be equivellant in awesomeness.... to the goblin mario-karts?
Edited by Taggthemage on 9/1/2011 1:18 PM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
It's a small feature that is well worth the tiny amount of dev time needed to implement it.

What does it really do?

1. Allows Worgen players to purchase a Horse (which are seen and used throughout their starting area) without becoming exalted with Stormwind.
2. Evens out the number of mounts across factions.
3. Gives players a reason to become exalted with Gilneas.

I know some players were hoping for a more unique mount, but to be honest there wasn't any other mount that really fit the Worgen. Gilneans used horses just like all other Humans, and there's no real reason why they would adopt a completely different animal.

I admit back before Cataclysm launched I was a proponent of the idea of using Worgen-curse afflicted horses that would become regular horses if a Worgen owner was in Human form while riding (everyone else would have them locked into "worgen" form), but I'll admit the ship has sailed there. Such a mount would have to be established in the Worgen starting area for it to work out.

Hopefully they make these horses larger than the human horses. Did you see how ugly that worgen looked on it? Or even make them somewhat distinctive from Human horses other than some half-done skin and a removed saddle lol
Edited by Sensations on 9/1/2011 1:18 PM PDT
100 Draenei Paladin
It would be nice if they gave us even unique colored horses instead of just copying mounts exactly that are already in the game.

Sucks they are lazy, but on the other hand I'm glad they are evening up the mount numbers.
Edited by Lynetté on 9/1/2011 1:18 PM PDT
29 Goblin Rogue
Blizzard was lazy and uninspired for sure. But they can't win regardless. There would be pages upon pages of complaints no matter what they do or don't do. So, it seems like Bliz has given up trying to make us happy up and just resorted to shutting us up. It's a lousy business practice, but I can't say I blame them.
10 Dwarf Paladin

At least to me, that's fine. I'm 100% A-OK with Worgen getting horses. I repeat, I'm fine with horses. (And I realize I'm onlys peaking for myself here)

What I'm not ok with is how utterly bland they are. There's nothing about them that says "Gilnean." Not a bloody thing. Racial mounts are supposed to have some flair to them, some flavor that says "this is from (insert race here)." Those horses literally have nothing.
85 Draenei Paladin
As for the people crying about how the horse should be armored think of it this way....

your getting chased in alterac valley for one minute, your horse gets tired from runing with the heavy armor, your horse stops horde catch up and ur dead....

long story short ARMOR WILL GET YOU KILLED
85 Night Elf Druid
09/01/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Wreckthar
This mount... i already have it
Didnt you already post that somewhere 30 min ago, GG you have the mount already yet how often do you use it? I bet you would be mad if they added a same model of flying mount you had already even though your a druid and probably only stick to flightform. Of all the mounts ive seen people ride i rarely ever see someone on a horse except for a human leveling up. Almost everyone, im talking like maby 90% of the 60+ in this thread all sit in SW or Org on flying mounts and yet people are crying.

/facepalm to all of you >:O

Cenarion Hyppogryph is my main mount. Keybinded and all. And of course i wont use this mount. i already have it and i dont use it.

Maybe if it were an awesome new mount that make my cenarion hypp looks like crap, i would use it.

This are better be named something else than "Brown Horse Bridle Copy" and "Black horse Bridle Copy"
Edited by Maderita on 9/1/2011 1:21 PM PDT
1 Blood Elf Hunter

At least to me, that's fine. I'm 100% A-OK with Worgen getting horses. I repeat, I'm fine with horses. (And I realize I'm onlys peaking for myself here)

What I'm not ok with is how utterly bland they are. There's nothing about them that says "Gilnean." Not a bloody thing. Racial mounts are supposed to have some flair to them, some flavor that says "this is from (insert race here)." Those horses literally have nothing.
80 Worgen Death Knight
Geez look at all these clowns saying be grateful they evened out the numbers blah blah blah, they can take back that !@#$ for all I care, if Blizz isn't going to give a damn about the quality of their work why should I
90 Worgen Hunter
Just disappointing when we see mounts like the Winged Guardian and know exactly what Blizzard is capable of.

But comparing this to Winged Guardian isn't even reasonable or fair, at all. That's a special mount (and one you have to pay for). This is a freakin' faction mount. They're not really special or rare. They're usually not some awe-inspiring design. If the allies are so up-in-arms that it's just another couple of horses, then I will gladly start a petition for Blizzard to trade them with the rainbow chickens.

It is absolutely reasonable and fair. That is what the art team is capable of, something awesome and, more importantly, unique. New Worgen specific mounts should be unique. If they're backpedaling and calling these Alliance specific mounts now, then horses, too, are acceptable.

They're not intended for use by the worgen. They're solely intended for numbers to count towards the mount achieve...in which case you'll probably have tons more mounts that you would prefer to show off.

And I appreciate this aspect of it. Thank you, Devs, for making my achievement hunt easier, truly. Every little bit helps.

As for showing off my mounts, I use GoGoMount so I see each of them every now and again. I like seeing my entire collection, not just one or two specific mounts.
100 Worgen Warrior
The intention with the new mounts was just to honor player concerns about achievements and even up the mount totals between the alliance and the horde. It’s something people had been requesting since the release of Cataclysm, so we’re evening up the numbers by giving the Alliance some additional mounts to add to their totals.

But you could have made a unique mount for the Worgen.

The mount imbalances would still be fixed, your Devs wouldn't have made themselves look lazy and uncaring, and the playerbase wouldn't be in an uproar.
10 Dwarf Paladin
As for the people crying about how the horse should be armored think of it this way....

your getting chased in alterac valley for one minute, your horse gets tired from runing with the heavy armor, your horse stops horde catch up and ur dead....

long story short ARMOR WILL GET YOU KILLED

We play a game with a horse made of bones, a raptor, dragons...

Horses can wear armor just fine.
85 Draenei Shaman
Wyld Stallyns is pure win.

Seriously, get clearance on it immediately. Achieve for getting the Worgen horses or *something*. Those attorneys aren't busy...*wink*.

Every once in awhile, since seeing that movie, my daughter who's a senior in HS will look at me completely seriously and say, "strange things are afoot at the Circle K". I cannot help but break out in peals of laughter...HAH!

85 Troll Warlock
Racial mounts are supposed to have some flair to them, some flavor that says "this is from (insert race here)." Those horses literally have nothing.

That's because the Worgen racial mount is Running Wild, which is probably the most unique "mount" in the game (even though Tauren had Plainsrunning in Beta, but that's besides the point).

These horses are meant to even up mounts for both factions and keep mount collectors and achievement hunters on Alliance quiet.
90 Draenei Hunter
I will have to agree with the complaints on this one. Those mounts are not "new" in the slightest. The Black Stallion has always been attainable from SW from via Horse Breeder in Wetlands since forever in WoW history. The Brown one is a normal horse via Horse Breeders in SW. The cat is an old Night elf panther.

All you need is Exhaulted Rep with any friendly faction to obtain a actuall mount for your Worgen. Yes, it does take some time ... the best way to start it by doing the starting quests of whatever faction you want to get Exhaulted with. The very first starter quests will give you a big chunk of Rep needed to obtain Exhaulted status. Yeh, it kinda sucks stepping backwards a bit, but if you loathe "Running Wild" and scampering around on all fours like an animal it is worth it. If you are starting out with leveling an alt, quickly choose which faction you want to be the most friendly with and which mount you want to obtain from them. With Worgen, Stormwind is the easiest Rep to obtain first. After you leave the starting area of Glineas ... run to whatever starting area you want to go to of the faction you wish to become Exhaulted with and then work your way up with them thru questing. You'll get their mount in no time as you level.

This is kind of a rip on Blizzard's part ... I mean come on ... couldn't they have at least pulled some other different creature model out of the game? I mean anything? There is lots of potential mount-able models that can be used.
Edited by Dreamlifter on 9/1/2011 1:23 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]