Additional items I need from the API

100 Night Elf Druid
Hey all,

Fantastic work with the API. It's a great resource and will make maintenance of my code much easier! I've completed the transition to using the APIs for my wowpopular.com scans, and has made them much quicker and more accurate.

However, there are a few things I'm still missing, that I still need to retrieve from the HTML pages:

- Pet talents
- Searching capabilities. At minimum, I'd love to have a search similar to http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=trail&f=wowcharacter so I can find all other characters with a specific name. Ideally, I'd love a list of all characters on a realm, but I understand if you don't want to expose that.

And the following for completeness:
- Enchant details (The enchant stats and name for an enchant id, and what item creates that enchant)
- Item Stat details (what the stat numbers for each item represent)
- Reforge details (what each reforge id references)

Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
pet talent builds are in the char info now
as for searching they have told us they have no plans (or none as of yet) to have searching in the api

item enchant and rforge id info can be found in this thread mostly... http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973392418

hope this helps...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
09/01/2011 06:24 PMPosted by Trail
- Pet talents

As Ulminia pointed out pet talents are now available. This is done by way of "?fields=pets" filter to the character. However be warned that only the currently using pet will be the only one who shows up with their talent information. Straton has not commented on whether or not non-active pets will show their talents as well in the future. Though I still find it funny that it lists a glyph field for pets.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
copy player talents->paste pet talents.. awsome sauce... we know your lazy straton... lol
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
09/01/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Ulminia
copy player talents->paste pet talents.. awsome sauce... we know your lazy straton... lol

So true.
Reply Quote
I honestly thought it was a sign of pets getting their own glyphs in the future. Misleading the public, Straton!

Just kidding!
Edited by Thecheat on 9/6/2011 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Straton, sorry to be a bother, but is there any chance you can tell me whether you still plan to include the pet talents for all pets in the API? Currently on the HTML view you can see talents for all pets in the javascript data, but the API only has talents for your active pet.

I'd really like to know if eventually we'll be able to load talents for any pet or if I need to rewrite my site to only support the currently active pet. Until I get word on this I've been holding off switching my pet support from the HTML load to the API.

Thank you for your help.
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
Straton, sorry to be a bother, but is there any chance you can tell me whether you still plan to include the pet talents for all pets in the API? Currently on the HTML view you can see talents for all pets in the javascript data, but the API only has talents for your active pet.

I'd really like to know if eventually we'll be able to load talents for any pet or if I need to rewrite my site to only support the currently active pet. Until I get word on this I've been holding off switching my pet support from the HTML load to the API.

Thank you for your help.

At this time we will limit pet talents to the current selected pet.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
- Enchant details (The enchant stats and name for an enchant id, and what item creates that enchant)
- Reforge details (what each reforge id references)

I'd be thrilled if that stuff made it into the in-game APIs...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
may i make an feature request? tol borad timers and ownerships of all realms
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
09/12/2011 03:42 PMPosted by Fenomsmash
may i make an feature request? tol borad timers and ownerships of all realms

That just won't happen.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
09/12/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Straton
At this time we will limit pet talents to the current selected pet.

Thanks for the clarification. I was all set to swap my site to using the pet API data instead of the HTML, then I realized we're still missing a piece of important pet data in there. There's a creature ID, but no pet family ID. The pet family ID is available on the HTML page. Is there a chance we could get this also in the API?

Unless there is a good resource somewhere with a list of all creature IDs and what they map to (if someone knows of one please let me know), it's going to be a huge amount of work to collect that data well enough to identify the pet type just using the ID.

For reference, here's an example of we see in the Javascript for pet data:
8470619: { npcId: 834, name: "Theo", level: 85, familyId: 1, familyName: "Wolf", icon: "ability_hunter_pet_wolf", build: "201000031300003010111000000000000000000000000000000000000000000", skinName: "wolfskincoyote" },

I'm just looking for familyId. Thanks!
Edited by Zeherah on 9/17/2011 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
arnt we all.... i made a request for this to be in the pats tab ... we will see
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Well I know wowhead has a list of all of the tamable pets

http://www.wowhead.com/pets

You may just have to set up a look-up table in your database with all of the pet ids. That could very well take a while to set up though.
Edited by Delritha on 9/17/2011 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Well I know wowhead has a list of all of the tamable pets

http://www.wowhead.com/pets

You may just have to set up a look-up table in your database with all of the pet ids. That could very well take a while to set up though.

I really do hope we don't end up having to do that. Not only is it a huge amount of work to create a list of every pet model and map it to a pet family, but it'll require constant updates everytime a new pet model is added. Given that the family ID is displayed on the HTML version of the page, I would hope there's already some existing code Blizzard has which allows them to convert the creature to a pet family which wouldn't involve a lot of work for them to implement into the API output.

I realize API data that's only applicable to hunters is somewhat low priority, but being able to identify pet family without creating a database of thousands of pet models doesn't seem than unreasonable so I'm hoping it's on the list or that they just forgot initially and will add it to the list.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
I know what you mean though. If Blizz could set up a Data Resouce; something such as:

/api/wow/data/character/classes

However, have it as "/character/creature," which only lists the creature id and familyId. This would be something that is only updated once every patch. Having something like that would be helpful.

There has to be setting in Blizzards' creature database that says "tamable: True/False." So even if it's just

"SELECT creatureID, familyID FROM Creature WHERE tamable == true" and then make an output of the results.

I'm just throwing this out there.
Edited by Delritha on 9/17/2011 6:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Straton, I realize you guys are very busy, but can you please try to get the pet family id included in the current pet API? It's already available on the HTML version in the Javascript data, and backwards mapping a creatureID to a pet family is a pretty messy task. It's important, at least for my purposes, to be able to tell what the type of pet is in order to identify which buffs it provides.

If this is not possible, might it be possible to get an API list of creature IDs mapped to pet families somehow?
Edited by Zeherah on 9/28/2011 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]