Class Feedback – Hunter

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re looking for feedback on your class as we work on changes and adjustments for a future game update. While we may be making some specific class changes in 4.3, what we’re looking for in this thread is overall feeling on the class as a whole for more long term changes in the future.

Here is the kind of feedback that is NOT helpful in this particular thread:

• Concerns that your current damage, healing or tanking is not competitive. While this kind of feedback is often useful, it also is the kind of thing that can change from patch to patch, and so it isn’t as useful for long term vision changes.

• Concerns that your feedback is being ignored or that we don’t take these kind of posts seriously, or otherwise posting anything that is off-topic or not in the spirit of this thread’s intent.

• Requests for responses to your suggestions or feedback. The purpose of this thread is to get information to us, not the reverse.

We hope you take these threads seriously, as we’re going to be reading them very carefully. We ask that you take time to think and formulate a useful and objective reply, as this feedback could be used to alter your class in substantial ways.

We won’t be replying here addressing your concerns. This is purely for us to read your answers to the below questions.

Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• What spells do you use the least?
7 Tauren Shaman
fix the disappearing pet bar bug. (this affects all classes, not just hunters)

for long term things, It'd be nice if one hunter tree could go petless, for flavor. like marks or surv. give some % bonus talent for *not* having a pet out, and we could still pull it out for utility sometimes and would just lose that % buff for that time

same with warlocks, I liked when destro sacrificed pets. It got a bit annoying doing it after every wipe, so just come up with a more permanent solution
90 Human Death Knight
**What’s on your wish list for your class?

back when wow was first released there was a concept art, about a human hunter with dual pistols!!

were half way there 7 years later! lets get some dual pistols up in hurrr!
Edited by Andoryuz on 9/12/2011 9:23 AM PDT
70 Night Elf Druid
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.
7 Tauren Shaman
^speaking of weapons, a good idea I heard is making all ranged weapons "2-handed" instead, and just removing the ranged/relic slot then

hunters wouldn't need a statstick staff, and other classes wouldn't need a statstick relic/thrown

What type of content do you focus on? PvP

If PvE, what type of PvE? None

If PvP, what type of PvP? Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs

What makes playing your class less fun? Only having 1-2 viable comps to run in arena.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? Hunter pvp damage/rotation is fine imo.

What’s on your wish list for your class?
1.) Take Freezing Trap and Ice Trap off DR with each other.
2.) Update Snake Trap (Damage and Utility hasn't been updated since BC)... still hits for
25 damage.
3.) Scatter Shot/Freezing Trap Glyph that removes dots. (So we can remove snake trap
dots when we trap which will also allow us to play with other DoT classes)

What spells do you use the least? Widow Venom... completely useless :(
90 Orc Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BGs

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Ranged weapons seem to break too often. Maybe they need better durability?

What makes playing your class more fun?

Instant-cast abilities, having a pet

What makes playing your class less fun?

Having to depend on casted abilities to regen focus, pet not following me off ledges, minimum range

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

It's ok, sometimes I wonder if it would be more fun to regen focus like rogues and druids do energy, and not have to depend on an ability to regenerate it. Also, having only 100 focus when big shots cost 40-50 makes the rotation really 'tight'.

Make trap launcher off the GCD and macroable with the traps for a one-button-press trap launch

What spells do you use the least?

Widow's Venom, Snake Trap, Immolation Trap
90 Blood Elf Hunter
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Usually raids.

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

On the rare occasions that I PvP, I do arenas.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Minimum range. I find it extremely frustrating on fights such as Occu'thar when we all stack for the eyes. If I am completely stacked in the group, my multi-shots are useless due to minimum ranged. This could be fixed by either removing minimum range or giving us back the very nice Volley spell. It also hurts on Shannox, when I crit Rageface during his Face Rage and he spends the next ten seconds munching on my face while I weakly slap him with my polearm and tell my kitty to scratch him.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

The instant cast ranged spells. I've always preferred the hunter class over casters for ranged because I feel more like I am actually doing something, rather than just waiting for something to cast.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

The above minimum range issues.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I quite enjoy my rotation.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

Dual-wielding pistols, Volley, Eyes of the Beast, and Tame Druid.

# What spells do you use the least?

Widow Venom and Aspect of the Wild.
Edited by Pwnzoar on 9/12/2011 9:36 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Almost all PvE

Raids/heroics

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I realize that having a penalty at min range is considered a class feature, but I find it incredibly frustrating. I wish we had more buttons to hit at min range, but our dps drops to zero. Instead I spend by time explaining that my dps is horrible on baleroc because I'm meleeing and can't recover focus... I leap around trying to dodge the dogs on shannox so that I don't get minranged in passing... of course when rageface rages, I again lose all my dps, etc.

The problem is, there's a lot of fights where I /have/ to be in min range, and when that happens, my fun level drops to zero. Please think about giving us moves, not to get away, but to /do something/ when that happens.

EDIT: a very minor annoyance, but try regenning focus when you've got 10+ mobs that are all at ~5%. One Multi-shot would do it, but when you go to steady/cobra, the one you're targeting often dies before you can finish the shot, meaning you still don't have enough focus for one more multi, but you wasted a second doing nothing. I usually arcane torrent at these moments, but something like a fervor for other specs would be intensely nice.

What makes playing your class More fun?

I dig the utility I bring as surv. I get to slow adds, md, cc 2 mobs, etc.

Min range as mentioned. Other than that, I actually feel like I have a lot of "fun" moves.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I enjoy the surv rotation more than MM. I kind of dig tossing some traps to proc lock & load. Mowing down adds on aoe fights is a blast. Single target feels a bit dull for both specs, but MM has a lot more meat there in terms of toggling rotation based on % health, bloodlust, etc.

I'd like to be more involved with my pet as it's a pet class. I feel like it goes on auto to do whatever buff/debuff it needs to and some damage. I think it's cool that Mages get to frost nova with their pet and locks get to bladestorm. I'm not asking for those abilities, I just like that they interact with their pets and have to think about their pet's positioning.

Most of the tracking abilities are like a once a month type deal.
Edited by Lyssiá on 9/12/2011 11:03 AM PDT
85 Worgen Hunter

When will the hydras be officially tame able :d
90 Worgen Hunter
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] - PVE
■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] - Raids
■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] N/A
■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. - Minimum Range. It isn't usually a huge problem, but at times is annoying. Maybe if it were lowered to 2 yds or something. 5 yds seems excessive. I can shoot an arrow into something closer than 5 yds in RL.
■What makes playing your class more fun? I love doing good dmg and having lots of utility.
■What makes playing your class less fun? Pets dying in the middle of a fight.
■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) I currently enjoy the survival rotation, much more so than mm, which is unfortunate since mm is considered optimal.
■What’s on your wish list for your class? Both Survival and MM(and BM too I guess) to be within 5% of each other dmg wise.
■What spells do you use the least? N/A
85 Human Death Knight
PVE

Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

The change to pet stances being buggy and tedious. Defensive stance is highly missed, especially on AE situations.

Bosses that ignore minimum range

Having to have bosses toggle min range off, yet everything else has it on. So, it's a band-aid fix for a bad mechanic.

Kill Command's range limitation is clunky.

Getting my double freeze trap back. Or removing traps all together and making them all shots. Or, having Marks be a petless ranged tree, Survival be melee/pets and BM have ranged/pets.

Widow Venom.
■ What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE. NO interest in the current PvP models at all, though I do PvP in other games. Just not WoW.

■ If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Questing, heroics, helping my wife and friends. I was a hardcore raider; gave it up because the time commitment is ridiculous, the raids aren't compelling, and the stress is no fun. I play for fun and making friends.

Give me more Karas and Ulduars, and I'll be raiding again.

■ If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

n/a

■ What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Lack of a self heal. If you're going to make us ranged rogues.

I want to CHOOSE my pet's special ability, within type. Some pets have great special abilities, others suck. I miss the AoE attack my croc had in Wrath; the current "Ankle Crack" is pretty much useless. Pet abilities should not be tied to skins -- for the most part, pets are interchangable in raids (where their buffs are meaningless, except for the focus boost from Cunnings).

No end game beyond raiding or PvP.

■ What makes playing your class more fun?

Great guns, the ability to do almost any older content solo, good CC. Having my pet croc, Bill. My wife won;t let me have a real croc (though I do collect smaller reptiles).

■ What makes playing your class less fun?

A lack of uniqueness among my class and other DPS. Raid spots are based purely on DPS numbers now. Yes, hunters do well at that, but I think encounter design is so "generic" that any DPS can replace any other as long as the DPS # is high enough.

I'm not happy with the new pet stances, though I can't really put my finger on why. Okay, so I miss setting Bill the Croc on auto-slaughter while doing Archaeology. :) But there's something just MISSING; the current "Assist" isn't quite working like the old "Defensive". Wish I could put my finger on it better, it's a "feel" sort of thing for me.

No self-heal. :)

■ How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I'm fine with the rotation (more correctly, it's a priority queue). I run as MArksman most of the time, simply because I like shooting things and having my pet tank.

■ What’s on your wish list for your class?

Let me customize Bill the Crocolisk so I can choose the skin (croc) I like and the ability I want. I like having lots of pets available in the stable, but for personal preference, I want to run with a Crocolisk. That's who I am.

A decent self-heal, ala Rogues. Yes, again. It drives me nuts that my only self-heal in PvE is to chug a potion, only ONCE per fight. Also, more responsibility for staying alive needs to be shifted to DPS.

■ What spells do you use the least?

Most of the "special" shots don't have much use in dungeons, raids or general PvE. It's easier to kill something than silence or stun it.

Generally, I shoot stuff or do CCs. Everything else is gravy that I may not eat.
Edited by Lochlyn on 9/12/2011 9:40 AM PDT
85 Worgen Hunter
Well I will not just type an answer to each question since I feel more or less everything that I plan on saying is more or less related to each question.

I am a big hunter fan. I love the class to death and its definitely one of the most fun classes to play in the World of Warcraft. I do have a few other level 85s but sorry about the cliche, "I am a Hunter at Heart".

I do spend the majority of my WoW game time on PVE related content. I've only got into WoW around a year back so I don't really have much hands on hunter experience pre WTLK but the Hunter as a class was really boring with Mana as a resource. It did give hunters a bad name indeed. That made me put off leveling one until Cataclysm. I did finally level a Hunter and Focus makes a ton of sense. It gives more flow to the class as a whole.

However, I really feel that minimum range needs to be removed. I think Hunters have gone through sooo many changes over a short period of time, that its still kinda hard to actually see that the "minimum range" still stands. It really is more of a pain more than anything. I wouldn't mind if certain shots like Aimed Shot/Explosive Shot had a minimum range to them. But Auto Shots, Arcane Shots etc should have no minimum range. It really sucks especially in PVP.

WILL BE EDITIING THIS ONCE I GET HOME. AM TYPING THIS AT STARBUCKS!!!
7 Tauren Shaman

When will the hydras be officially tame able :d
stegosaurs/thunderlizards too!

and maybe dragon whelplings
85 Worgen Warrior
I do not think this will happen, but I will ask anyways. I would really like to see mana come back for hunters.
75 Night Elf Hunter
Mostly PvE

Heroics and Leveling

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Ammo was something that was cool to have but im glad its gone, i needed the bag space. Right now my main concern as a leveling hunter is that a lot of gear that used to be useful in between the level range from 60-80 is no longer useful as i now use focus instead of intellect, and it makes it harder to level with less gear to choose from (dungeon drops or quest rewards)

I like having a pet, it helps a lot while leveling and questing and you feel like there is always two of you in a group rather than one just soloing.

Like i said, as of now its mostly about the gear from 60-80 that is making it harder to level due to the focus change. But not impossible and still probably easier than other classes.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
I don't mind the rotation for BM and Survival, they are not to complicated while not being to easy and mind numbing, a good balance.

At this time it is only the gear for a leveling hunter that is on my wishlist.

I believe that all of the hunters spells have a place whether its in PvE or PvP. I would say that the skills i dont use would be Beast Lore, Eagle Eye, Widow Venom, & Snake Trap.

^Hope this feedback helps^
Edited by Twilighthunt on 9/12/2011 9:47 AM PDT
85 Troll Hunter

# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Everything, Heroics, Raids, Old content

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arena, BGs

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Poor pet pathing and control, too glitchy. Terribly clunky crowd control for pvp. The inability to do hardly anything to anyone who can LoS, particularly in Dalaran Sewers arena. Aspect Dancing is clunky. Focus is too hard to gain in pvp when being focused by others. Camouflage only usable at the start of arena, unable to feign>camo.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Soloing old content, when cc actually works.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Being LoSed into the ground, cc failing because of how terrible it works, glitchy abilities, aspect switching constantly, Survival spec being currently useless both in pvp and pve, being focus starved because our resource is tied to a shot that can easily be stopped. Camouflage being nearly useless outside of soloing old content. Inability to fire in short range makes certain pve encounters tedious.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

PvE rotation is fine right now, I have no real problems with any spec.
PvP can be terribly focus starved if you are being attacked by more than one opponent.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

Better cc (we need a freezing shot, not just a trap with loading time that fails.)
Slightly higher natural focus regen, slightly lower steady/cobra gain.
A smaller close range gap (though not nonexistent), so that we can actually hit people who try to LoS up close.
Survival to be changed to work with weapon damage so that it can actually scale with gear correctly.
Multiple bugs and glitches to be fixed, many of which are pet related.
-% healing built into one of our main shots.

# What spells do you use the least?

Widow Venom, short time, low negation, focus cost, not worth using.
Eagle Eye
Beast Lore
Aspect of the Cheetah/Pack, daze makes it pointless in pvp, minimal use in pve.
Immolation trap, low damage, no point. Minimal use in pvp with entrapment.
Raptor Strike, no use in pve, very little use in pvp if any at all.

This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]