Class Feedback – Hunter

(Locked)

85 Orc Hunter
--What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

initially i was mainly focused on PvE but have recently been getting into PvP.

--If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

everything that gives valor

--If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

everything that gives honor... and occasionally i'll cap conquest for the week in arena, but never do rBG's

--What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

you pretty much covered it for me with the "pet happiness" removal... more food for me... lol... but with good comes bad, with that patch brought the "Glyph of Lesser Proportion" which is fine for pvp = harder to see a smaller pet... but in PvE hunters want the biggest and baddest, so counter that glyph with "Glyph of Greater Proportion" increasing it's size.. that would rock.

--What makes playing your class more fun?

knowing how to play it. :)

--What makes playing your class less fun?

17% nerf to multi-shot when druid's swipe is "broken"... lol

--How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

easy to remember simple to bind to keys, accessible... i like it.

--What’s on your wish list for your class?

a new shot... anything... probably something for beast mastery, the other specs both have a "boom shot" (chimera, explosive) and if my memory serves me right BM just uses kill command... i mean you can spec & glyph it for increased crits and talent it for free uses but is it really comparable to 60-70k chim & aimed shot crits?... i would suggest something like taking out the 4 extra talent points for pet as a 31 point talent and give them some kind of shot that has its damage based off maybe a stacking kill command buff (replacing the Killing Streak talent)... i don't know i'm just throwing stuff together that i'm thinking up in my head as i type this... haha... OR OR OR OR... a new aspect... Aspect of the Shark (increased swim speed)... or turn deterrence into a complete bubble (like ice block)...

--What spells do you use the least?

Beast Lore, Master's Call, Aspect of the Pack (for fear of leaving it on and being called a huntard), most of the "Track" abilities (i use track hidden and track humanoids the most), i don't use Aspect of the Wild much... OH AND I NEVER USE MISDIRECTION!!!! <- joke ;-)
85 Orc Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: Raids, Heroics on alts.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I'm frustrated with how throwing traps works. Having to target an area on the ground in a 25 man raid with spell effects flying everywhere can be difficult and it's easy to waste a GCD (or two!) doing so. I'll also sometimes find that I have selected a friendly player by accident and then I have to re-target the boss, all the while losing damage time.

I like to be able to easily drop a trap at my feet on the run so I need button space for both the regular traps and the trap thrower. There is no possible way I can fit macros for throwing each particular trap in my UI so I'm left with awkward combos like Q (trap thrower) - F12 (snake trap). In general we have too many spells that are frequently used. Traps are a particular problem but not the only culprit.

Minimum range is frustrating on some bosses. I hate H Ryolith purely for this reason; I'm constantly having to move around the edge just to be able to fire on him while everyone else is safe together getting AOE heals. I don't understand why some bosses are still like this since others can be fired on when sitting right on their !@#. The easy (and best) fix is to just take away the minimum range already! I promise we will still try to run away if you get in our face in PVP.

On the pro side, I love cauldrons and feasts! Mass rez is great too although I wish the debuff time was cut in half. Camouflage is awesome.

Not a hunter thing but frequent Rocket Fuel Leaks have ruined much of the enjoyment I once got from Engineering. :(

What makes playing your class more fun?

I like when I can stand still, blow all my cooldowns, and top the meters. I also like being useful for Misdirects or tricky pulls. Using Disengage is almost always fun. I like to drink an alchemist's potion next to a Moonkin and then Feign Death.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Boss fights where I'm constantly needing to move for some arbitrary reason - I mentioned H Ryolith, H Alysrazor is also kind of annoying. Any fight mechanic that kills pets. Huge boss hit boxes. Needing to completely stop DPS to use my defensive cooldown (Deterrence). Trying to Disengage uphill.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

The Marksman rotation is pretty nice right now. I like that there is the option of using hard casted Aimed; it brings an element of skill to know when it's safe to do so. I thought ISS was an annoying mechanic when I first switched from Survival but I'm used to it now and it brings a nice rhythm to the rotation. I did enjoy the Survival rotation a bit more in early Cataclysm; not needing to put that half second pause into every lock and load really made that spec less stressful to play at a high level.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

- Fix Trap Thrower including a way to throw a trap at our target without clicking on the ground.
- Get rid of minimum range.
- Get rid of Counterattack already.
- Consolidate some spells so we don't have so many that need to be right under hand.

What spells do you use the least?

Aspect of the Wild (other classes cover this), Aspect of the Cheetah (use Pack instead), Beast Lore, Scare Beast, Widow Venom (other classes cover in their normal rotation), Immo trap (Explosive better).
22 Draenei Shaman
I like the Tame druid example...but maybe instead of perma tame a character...perhaps kind of a mind control thing. you can have a beast become your guardian and assist you for maybe 30 seconds or something (probably less for pvp). that would make it useful in and out of pvp. would most likely be a BM talent

also...perhaps having a head-hunter spec that uses thrown weapons instead of firearms. Maybe with bleeds and poisons instead of arcane shot or explosive shots
Edited by Toadems on 9/14/2011 3:35 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Hunter
BRING volley back multi shot is ok but still i have never seen a hunter fire magical arrows but also never seen a hunter fire about 20 arrows out of 1 bow but yes hunters need buff not too much we havent really had a good 1 in awhile even if u fix the T12 4 peice bonus set like 10% chance for auto shots to give a free cast of kill command or any shot thats sorta bad seing as me in MM i rarely even do a auto shot atleast increase the chance of it's proc from 10% to atlest 20% +
100 Night Elf Hunter
What type of content do you focus on?

I mainly PvE, but I dabble in PvP.

If PvE, what type of PvE?

Heroics and Raids mostly, sometimes general adventuring, such as RP, lower content and hunting random creatures.

If PvP, what type of PvP?

Random BGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The Trap launcher is clunky. Having to push two separate buttons and then a third time to fling the trap accross the screen eats up a lot of time in the middle of a pull. It's also unreliable unless you take more time to place the aim. This is nearly impossible if the target is on the move, for example the last pull before Nalorak. It's almost be better if all traps had the integrated ability to launch them. that'd cut down the buttons to smash at least by one. Besides, we're rangers, we should have the accuracy to fling a trap with our bare hands.

The pet AI is still a bit odd. I like how you have improved the hunter pet choices a little, but I do miss the old Aggressive, Passive, Defensive system, especially since the new Assist can make you pet run around doing nothing for excessive times in fights where you need to rapidly swap targets, e.g. Nefarion, Beth'tilac, Shannox. This leaves putting your pet on Passive and then manually controlling it the best option, though it adds a bit more hassle to your action bars.

Melee distance. I understand that the style of our class is to be pure ranged, however functioning in melee distance is nothing but painful. I'm aware we have tools to get back to range, like Disengage, but it's unreliable unless the area you are standing at is completely flat, and other classes, most have some sort of an ability to get back on your skin in a blink of an eye. Some boss fights are really tedious because of the min. range too. I don't hate the system, but I don't like it either. Our melee abilities, not counting Counter Attack, which is useless, is exactly 6, 4 of which are traps. Out of the two remaining Wing Clip is some what useful and Raptor strike is so laughable I don't even understand what's its purpose. It's a difficult issue, and I like the unique feeling it gives, but I think it needs some polishing.

I'm not also agreeing completely with at what level you learn some of your skills. As an example I'd like to bring out Misdirection. It's one of the most important skills a hunter needs, yet we only learn it as late as level 76. If I recall correctly, it was originally available at level 70. In a way I can understand having the ability of this caliber being saved as a treat, but considering how many times I run into people who don't know how to use it, I think it should be available earlier, just for sheer practise.
100 Night Elf Hunter
...Continued from above:

I like the general feel of hunters, relaxed and fluid both alone and in a group. I really enjoy the fact our pets were made more useable by allowing them to fill in for buffs. We hunters are just plain awesome.

There aren't many things that'd come to mind. Most I already mentioned earlier in the Quality of Life issues.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I mostly play Surv. and MM. Surv. rotation in my opinion is great. It's fluid, efficient and fits the style of a Surv. hunter perfectly. MM hunter rotation is somehow a bit.. How to say.. Tacky? But it's doable.

More variation to the pet talent trees. There aren't really many talent combinations you can come up with if you want to push out max dps or if you want to tank. You just pick up the cookie cutter talents each time and the rest in the tree just feel like they are there for show. And while all the pet families have their signature buff or ability they use, they are otherwise all similar with their talents if they are in the same pet group, e.g. Ferocity pets.

I'd also like if the pet models were more lively. I remember the old Wolf model who was howling, scratching its ear, sniffling, it was really cool. It felt like you had an actual pet walking next to you. The cats mainly just wave their heads from side to side and strech from time to time with an annoying sound. Outland and Northrend wolf models just stand there doing nothing. Same with raptors and ravagers and most other pets. It's more like you have a stuffed animal you're dragging along with you. It'd be fun if e.g. your pets would sometimes curl up and take a nap, if you're staying stationary for longer, or dogs would chase their tails, cats could go after rodents, etc. Some new pets have a bonus ability for Trick or Play: Something similar to that, but without having to push a button.

Counter Strike, Widow Venom, Raptor Strike, Wing Clip, Scare Beast, Eagle Eye.
85 Troll Hunter
-What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

MM for all PvE
BM for all PvP

-If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

all, including old content

-If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

all

-What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Minimum range is horrible in PvP and select raid boss fights. in PvP, all an opponent has to do to make you useless is close the distance, sure we have a lot of abilities to get away, but only for enough time to get one shot off... maybe. During the Baleroc fight, dps is zero when taking tormented stacks. Only positive to that is the Raptor Strike glyph for less damage but other than that 0 dps pretty much. Also, during Shannox when Rageface face rages us we are again, useless. I'm not necessarily saying to get rid of minimum range but rather, give us decent close range damaging attacks and class specific movement/entrapment less less or higher resistence to them. Immunity to entrapment for survival spec would actually make sense too.

Pet bugs. When pet is set to assist and you are attacking multiple enemies, they will almost always attack one until it's dead then start running back to me until I do damage to the next enemy or it hits me. Ledge glitch. If I become engaged when jumping from a ledge or before I get off of a ledge, my pet will remain on the ledge and not attack. This bug has been around for a while, but I always used to use a warp stalker pet when it had Warp, so it wasn't an issue for me. Lag time for instant abilities. If pet isn't within range to use Intimidation and I use it, it goes on cooldown without actually using the ability. Please fix this. Another issue with Intimidation I've seen. I use it to interrupt a spell, but 90% of the time, it isn't actually used until after the spell is done casting, therefore making it somewhat wasted. Please make pet taunts force target switching. Other than pet specific abilities, pets are just minimal dps and a stun in PvP in BM spec.

If Aspect of the Fox work for Aimed Shot as well, it would be awesome for those environmental damaging abilities. Like the entire Lord Rhyolith fight.

Glyph of Kill Shot does not work in PvP. It should.

Also for PvP, I seem to recall an ability hunter's used to have (might be wrong game) where they fired an arrow with a weight on the end that knocked down enemies with minimal damage. That would be a great benefit.

Time it takes a trap to actually be ready to trap something. It would be great if it was instant so I could trap something chasing me so I can get out of min. range.

Aspect of the Cheetah/Pack due to the daze effect once being attacked makes it nearly useless aside from getting somewhere a little quicker with zero enemies around. I feel the daze effect should be removed, no other class has this. i.e. rogue's sprint, druid's travel form, shaman's ghost wolf.

Camouflage is just about useless in PvP unless you're camping one specific spot waiting for enemies to show up. In arena it's completely useless. Please make this work like a regular stealth.

Actually making dual wield useful for a hunter would be pretty awesome as well.

-What makes playing your class more fun?

Being able to solo a lot of old content

-What makes playing your class less fun?

Getting stuck running like a mad man trying to get out of min. range so i can actually kill something.

-How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

The rotation is enjoyable, although it would be nice if MM had better focus regen. As is, all I can do is pair up steady shots so I can get any decent damage out

-What’s on your wish list for your class?

Better close range abilities, most everything else was covered above. Oh! And an awesome looking tier helm that my tusks don't protrude through.

A cool looking tamable wolf skin for non-BMs!!!! Like.. making Skoll not a spirit beast would be excellent... considering he's solid.

-What spells do you use the least?

Aspect of the Wild, Beast Lore, Widow Venom, Aspect of the Pack (daze ruins it for everyone), Snake Trap (low damage, useless [except to tame Deth'tilac])
100 Worgen Hunter
Another point I forgot to mention in my response above that's more of a raid encounter/class issue. If you're going to continue to create encounters in 10 man raids that require multiple interrupters then you need to give more classes (like hunters) interrupts in all specs on short (10 second) cooldowns. There have been weeks where doing Nefarian or Alysrazor became exponentially harder due to raid make up and not having enough interrupt cooldowns to go around.
44 Human Hunter

* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

I am leveling up as a hunter

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Only quests

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

pvp is a complete waste of time

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Making a spec that doesn't require a pet. I would LOVE to play a hunter if it didn't have a pet.

* What makes playing your class more fun?

Not having a pet

* What makes playing your class less fun?

Having a pet

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Not applicable for me.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?

To convert MM or surv into a spec with no pet.

* What spells do you use the least?

n/a
85 Night Elf Hunter

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
  • Both
  • If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
  • Heroics
  • If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
  • Arenas (2s)
  • What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
  • Reliance on macros to get every basic thing done (ex: /stopattack to prevent you from pulling next mob, !trap launcher, freezing trap sequence to have a spammable ranged trap, etc) making the class very clunky
  • What makes playing your class more fun?
  • Actually being able to unload damage. Which sadly only happens in PvP.
  • What makes playing your class less fun?
  • Focus generation mechanics actually requiring to hit your target; you cannot target pillars.
  • How do you feel about your “rotation”?
  • PvE rotation is fine, PvP damage delivery is horribly frustrating.
  • What’s on your wish list for your class?
  • Perhaps the could be some mechanics to hasten passive regen when you can’t shoot for several seconds. I’d also like to see Steady/Cobra damage increased because 4k crits can be disheartening.
  • What spells do you use the least?
  • I seldom use AotC in combat because of the random daze. Dazing when you need to GTFO is kind of counterproductive. I wish Blizzard acknowledged that 30% speed bonus isn’t gamebreaking when everyone has gap closers and 15% bonus talents. If you absolutely need a drawback to using cheetah, then work it around focus.

85 Orc Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? Both.

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Heroics and Raids.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
BG's

Raid Boss hit boxes being too big. Many fights require grouping up/standing in melee range of a boss making it impossible to dps (e.g. Baleroc).

Trap launcher clunkiness - even with a macro it's fiddly.

Pet pathing and pet bars disappearing.

Sound spam on macro'd stances and guns.

Focus instead of mana. 3 different rotations. Pets and survivability abilities (feign death, deterrence, disengage, traps).

Pet problems - pathing, target switching, unexpected damage.

Each is interesting and unique. There are some issues with range and kill command, though.

A base line interrupt. A base line self-heal. Reduced minimum range or reduced raid boss hit boxes. Stance sounds only if not in that stance already.

All the tracking abilities. Eagle eye. Wing Clip. Raptor Strike. Distracting shot.
100 Troll Hunter
--What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both but I do PvE more.

--If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Everything but I slack off too often for dailies and quests.

--If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Battlegrounds.

--What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Minimum range. I keep disengage on cooldown whenever I crit Rageface's Face Rage and often switch to Shannox so I don't have to waste time meleeing Rageface to death. Occu'thar's eyes also make minimum range a major issue, but very fortunately feign death clears the issue, but still.

--What makes playing your class more fun?

Taming rare pets (name is gamehunter for a reason), the nice marksman rotation, pet management (buffs/debuff pet selection, Chimaera and worm AoE, Spirit Beast Spirit Mend) and soloing

--What makes playing your class less fun?

BM needs more cooldowns (as the hunter, not the pet) than just bestial wrath and fervor. Minimum range.

--How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

MM's rotation is just about right, sometimes I like hard-cast Aimed shot on Bloodlust/Rapid Fire/Berserking racial or all of them at once and see 50k crits fly. Beast Mastery could use some more cooldowns as stated above.

--What’s on your wish list for your class?
More unique pet skins per family. The return of Eyes of the Beast. Better hunter minor glyphs (feign death and revive pet are the only pve competent minor glyphs)

I think Survival needs better focus regen since I often find myself using cobra shot too much to fit in Explosive Shot and Black Arrow, causing Cobra Shot having its damage done a little less or over Exp. Shot in an average raid encounter.

--What spells do you use the least?
Immolation Trap (lol), Widow Venom, Hawk Eye, Snake Trap, Aspect of the Pack, Cheetah (both only have some use out of combat).
90 Worgen Hunter
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvP/RP

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
If PvE- Heroics

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Battlegrounds, WorldPvP (From small (3-10 people per side) to large scale (30-40 people per side) )

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Being pretty much required to carry a polearm for combat stats... Yes it's an RP thing... My character would rather use two swords that give equal stats, but that's not really fesable from what I've seen of swords these days.

■What makes playing your class more fun?
The weapon/armor versitility. Again, more of an RP thing there. My character is more of a Rogue/Hunter mix personality and background wise. Camo was a great addition, thank you!

■What makes playing your class less fun?
The fact that once an enemy is in my face and I've used the various CC methods I have to keep them away (particular problem with warriors who have several charges and such) I'm all but useless.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I kill stuff from a distance just fine, I don't have an issue there.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
I would like to see the hunters made more like a 'ranger' class where we can speciallize in perhaps two handed combat. Not exactly like a rogue, but can at least hold our own against another melee class until help arrives. In WPvP situations one warrior, frost DK or rett Pally can tear up quite a few hunters even if we're kiting him around a bit.

■What spells do you use the least?
The few melee spells I have as I find them ineffective and all but useless in PvP Combat and are never used in PvE even if the tank loses agro.
100 Orc Hunter
Please Give the hunters a spirit beast isnt a see through reskinned saber tooth. I would love a devilsaur that is not see an maybe lik a red color that would be pretty awesome. The hunter class is pretty good though atm you guys have done a great job bringing the Beast Master back to life when in WoTlk it was dying out! So thanks for that!
90 Night Elf Hunter
Could the Hunter get his Volley shot back!
90 Dwarf Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids, Heroics

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Arena, BGs

Lack of a Raiding Gun in Cata, Minimum range in Arenas when the other team pillar/box humps.

Having a Hydra that no one else has

Minimum range

N/A

A legit pet tanking tree, better scopes/ enchants for ranged weapons, A ranged interrupt for each spec not just MM

Immolation trap, COUNTERATTACK who uses this anymore
85 Worgen Hunter

Since Cataclysm only PvP.

I don't do PvE. Ok, very very rarely a heroic.

Only BGs.

Getting conquest points by 25 per day from the daily. I have done over 3000 BGs according to statistics, I have like 130 000 honor kills and yet someone whom is running Arena for month will get better gear easily (I did Arena in LK, nothing hard in it, easy points).

Aspect of fox - damage on move.

I don't have issue with my class in general.

I don't have issue with BM or SV rotations. I never played for MM much, cannot say about that one.

Survival spec changes/remake. Survival has no self heal (black arrow should heal for the amount of damage caused I guess), no stun (like intimidation), no skill which would actually grant a better survivability in PvP (like crouching tiger, hidden chimera). Survival has the least chance of surviving from all 3 hunter specs, which is kind of weird. If it's supposed to be DoT hunter version - kind of like affliction warlock - it should have the self heal as well (not to mention possibly another DoT shot - bleed one? whatever...).

Never used counterattack, never used focus fire, never used beast lore, never used scare beast.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Primarily PvE. some PvP

Primarily raiding...heroics as neccessary

BGs, occasional Arena

This is my reason for this reply. I used to be able to jump targets when the 1st one died simply by using another ability...targeting would jump to next target. Now, I have to mash my tab key...I swear the key itself is almost dead now. It's affected my DPS and more importantly, my fun greatly. It's not a lot of fun being responsible for add duty that's so popular these days when you cant get a shot off because the tab process took too long to acquire a decent (plenty of health) target before another DPS class has burnt it down. I understand rookie hunters have trouble with this, but then maybe have the option to turn this type of targeting on and off.

I'll be the honest one...out-DPSing many other classes.

See above wordy response.

It's fine.

Again, see above.

I use em all.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]