Class Feedback – Mage

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re looking for feedback on your class as we work on changes and adjustments for a future game update. While we may be making some specific class changes in 4.3, what we’re looking for in this thread is overall feeling on the class as a whole for more long term changes in the future.

Here is the kind of feedback that is NOT helpful in this particular thread:

• Concerns that your current damage, healing or tanking is not competitive. While this kind of feedback is often useful, it also is the kind of thing that can change from patch to patch, and so it isn’t as useful for long term vision changes.

• Concerns that your feedback is being ignored or that we don’t take these kind of posts seriously, or otherwise posting anything that is off-topic or not in the spirit of this thread’s intent.

• Requests for responses to your suggestions or feedback. The purpose of this thread is to get information to us, not the reverse.

We hope you take these threads seriously, as we’re going to be reading them very carefully. We ask that you take time to think and formulate a useful and objective reply, as this feedback could be used to alter your class in substantial ways.

We won’t be replying here addressing your concerns. This is purely for us to read your answers to the below questions.

Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• What spells do you use the least?
I play an Arcane mage 99.9% of the time...

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: PvE entirely.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: Raiding almost exclusively (Firelands).

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?: Don't have any worth mentioning (although in retrospect it would be nice to get rid of the timers on our mage/molten/frost armors, since you've done it with priests...)

What makes playing your class more fun?: The burst damage of the arcane mage is quite exciting. Contrary to opinions that it's a two-button class, the success of the arcane mage is all about balancing the output. However...

What makes playing your class less fun?: I'm not a huge fan of the Mastery issues we have, specifically that we seem to be the only class whose mastery is based on limiting our other abilities. It's not like the straight DPS output of other classes. I'd like to see Mastery changed somewhat to focus less on our mana content and more on our skills.

Additionally, I'd like to note that one of the least fun things about my class is that the spec I most enjoy playing - Frost - is unviable in PvE. I know Blizzard says otherwise, but I'm sorry guys... your players do not agree. You wanted to know what made it "less fun" and there you are...

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.): Arcane mage rotation is rather lackluster. It's true that it's all in the skill of doing it correctly (balancing the proper arcane blasts, the various cooldowns, etc.) but it could be way more interesting, though. I'd very much like to see a real, tangible reason to use Arcane Barrage though... it would be nice to juggle things a bit more and keep it interesting. Like hunters, warlocks, etc.

What’s on your wish list for your class?: Sincerely, the ability to use the broad range of our talents rather than focus on one subset. On my hunter, I use pretty much every DPS tool I have in my arsenal. As an arcane mage, I entirely rely upon two items (arcane blast & missiles) and completely forsake the others. I would really love to see Blizzard start to incorporate all of the mage's DPS tools together... frostbolts, frostfire bolts, arcane blasts, etc. Make them work together. Otherwise we're just three separate DPS classes rather than an integrated whole.

And shame for an Arcane mage to say it, but we never use Arcane Barrage (well, unless we absolutely have to clear an AB stack and our missiles don't come up... but when does that happen? Almost never.) It would be great if ABarr, ABlast and AM were all regular parts of our rotation again.

I would really like to see Spellsteal function as more than just a purge-style debuffer. Spellsteal rarely gives us major benefit except in certain circumstances, and then only for a small amount of time. Six-seconds of benefit on many items is kinda lame.

I would love to see Mages have more portal destinations. Feathermoon Stronghold, Nordrassil, Light's Hope all come to mind as possible locations for Alliance. This would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see the Orb be something arcane for arcane mages. And a ranged AoE for arcane would be awesome.

What spells do you use the least?: Frostfire bolt, and especially flamestrike. They have situational uses but as Arcane is pretty much the only spec I can currently raid with, they and the elemental talents (firebolt, frostbolt) are useless to me. See wish list.

Oh, and... Arcane Barrage as I mentioned above.
Edited by Callystah on 9/12/2011 3:09 PM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE primarily. I only PvP when I'm bored.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Typically raids on this toon. I don't need gear from Heroics, and I'd rather raid with friends than grind for VP.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BGs only. Tol Barad too.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Edit: Most importantly, the biggest quality of live issue for me personally is how Frost is always always modified harshly because of PvP. I want to keep raiding frost, but I keep pulling 4k DPS less than the Arcane mage.

I wish that my elemental would follow closer to me. I have a 35-40 yard range. His range is 50, and he never sticks close for when I need to cast freeze. For that reason I keep him on passive and have to macro his attack to my frostbolt. Kind of makes "assist" stance useless.

Also, can we rename our elementals again? I miss "Suds" :(

What makes playing your class more fun?

Not playing Arcane. I love Frost; I just wish I didn't constantly feel like I'm not doing well enough compared to others in my raid group.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Frost needs to be more viable for raiding. I can pull about 16-17k at absolute maximum, deftly managing cooldowns and procs, while the Arcane mage in the raid pulls 20k by hitting one button repeatedly. What hurts is that we have approximately the same equipment, and T11 4pc.

I know Frost is all about control, and is a beast of a PvP spec in the right hands; but there are
some dedicated Frost raiders out there. Frost is a fun and exciting spec to play in raids too.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

It's ok. Frost is more priority than rotation.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

1) Blizzard should benefit from Fingers of Frost like it used to. Frost needs a better AoE, because chills are worthless in Firelands.

2) Deep Freeze should always crit when dealing damage; period. There's no reasonable reason for it not to considering Frostbolt damage is comparatively low. This change would also not affect PvP because players are always frozen.

2a) Also; why do Frost mages lose 6 points of mastery off the top? Yeesh. D:

3) OMG, someone later in the thread said "Glyphs to make water elementals look different" Yes please! I want mine to look like one of those cool armored water elementals from Icecrown.

What spells do you use the least?

In frost spec, I use pretty much every frost spell and FFB, but nothing else.

In Arcane spec, I use Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane Missiles for a bit of mana regen. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast. Arcane blast.

I see a problem with this.
Edited by Gannetiya on 9/13/2011 7:03 AM PDT
What type of content do you focus on? PvE
If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics/Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? I wouldnt mind having a minor glyph get rid of the reagents we use like arcane powder and rune of tele/portals but i could live without it

What makes playing your class more fun? Complex rotation

What makes playing your class less fun? pressing 111111111111

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Arcane is boring. Frost is a lot of fun but doesnt compete with arcane.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Frost viability in pve, so i can drop arcane, i hate it. not even talking rotation, i hate using arcane spells. I like more elemental spells like fire and frost.

What spells do you use the least? remove curse but i guess thats usually covered by a healer.
Edited by Thefirstevil on 9/12/2011 9:42 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
Comments are for Arcane.

What type of content do you focus on?
PvE heroic firelands

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Forgetting to cast a new mana gem every boss attempt, reagents is still a minor annoyance.
Table of refreshments failing when people don't click right.

Burst damage and blink.

Not enough skills to press while moving besides boring instant damage abilities (shields are fun if there is incoming damage)

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
With the ever increasing mana pool of arcane mages + 4 set t12, arcane blast is starting to feel 'spammy' when it takes so long to get to evocation range. Arcane missiles is boring to cast because it hits so little. Balancing mana ~85% is fun.

Improvement of aoe whether it be more buttons or changes to the mechanics (increase cost of AE and make it apply the AB debuff?)

Cone of Cold
Presence of Mind in PvE (Needs to have more utility)
Spellsteal (Great fun in 5 mans, earthquake from za/zg)
Edited by Swoeflake on 9/12/2011 10:40 AM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
PvE

Heroics and Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

None

Being Arcane and seeing the high DPS we do. ^_^

If I need to play Fire or Frost, Arcane is the best and most fun spec to me.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

As Arcane I love it, as Fire, it's annoying, spells are too slow and I like my Arcane 2 button rotation too much.

N/a

Anything Fire or Frost
85 Goblin Mage

Both

Some heroics raids, mainly normal. Some Dungeons.

All except RBG's.

Mage armors being extended in time duration, or be made an aura would be handy.

Huge damn numbers and blowing stuff up.

Not being able to play Fire/Frost at competitive levels.

Arcane, while may seem simple I enjoy it, Fire/Frost are fine.

Buff Fire/Frost for PvE - May I suggest. +% inc to fireball to help, revert deep freeze damage nerf since it only does damage to bosses anyway. Randomness/crit stuff for Fire is frustrating at most times.

Arcane - Barrage, missles (so much for always using it every time it comes up)
Fire - Depends on the situation
Frost - Depends on situation
85 Goblin Mage
- PvE. I haven't done any PvP since Cata came out.

- Raiding & Heroics.

1. Mage Armors - Remove the buff time and make them a permanent buff just like a priest Inner Will and Inner Fire.
2. Ritual of Refreshment - This is more if an inconvenience. Lower it's CD to 3 minutes. The 5 minutes just boggles my mind a little.

- The ability to do so much and be pretty flexible. Going frost on some raid encounters for example. Even though it's not the best DPS I love going frost on a few fights just for fun. Clearly I do this only with encounters that are farm content.

- This only fall under Arcane. The two to three button rotation. I won't go arcane unless it's needed. I still play fire because it requires me to pay more attention during the encounter.

- Perfectly fine for Fire, horrible for Arcane.

- Removing buff timer on the 3 Mage Armors.

- Ring of Frost (Because I don't PvP)
- Blizzard. Damage output is good for the most part but it's mana cost still seems a bit high. 74% base mana.
90 Human Mage
IQ
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: pie

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: All

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]: none

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters: none, my life rocks.

What makes playing your class more fun: All the secondary spells, Blink, shield, ward, frost nova, poly...

What makes playing your class less fun: spell reflect(pve), which is for the most part gone i believe

How do you feel about your “rotation” (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.): The rotation is okay, if not a little boring. Would like it to be more dynamic.

What’s on your wish list for your class: As stated above. A more dynamic game play. I hate to use the word rotation, because that is the antithesis of what i would like. An ever changing environment thats forces you to take many more spells into consideration. Wether it be an additional resource or just more choices. Would also like to be able to cast cross-spec spells with some effectiveness.

What spells do you use the least: main nukes of other specs and there frills.
87 Night Elf Mage
The mastery on all three spec is very...underwhelming...
Fire: Only DoTs
Frost: Only Frozen targets
Arcane: Keep your mana high
90 Human Mage
PVE and PVP

Raids

BG's

Arcane is a little too simple. The arcane rotation need at least 1-2 more attack spells to weave in with arcane blast.

I love the mobility and survivability that the mage has, especially in frost. If I ever die in PVP or PVE it's usually because I failed to use the right utility, which makes me want to try harder next time.

The ONLY thing I can think of is feeling forced to be arcane for top damage on nearly every encounter - I find frost to be much more exciting but it lags behind just enough to make me switch to arcane.

Arcane, unacceptably simple and straightforward (rotation/priority wise).
Frost, excellent use of many different skills - and a good priority system.

A more exciting arcane spec, add some kind of new spell with a travel animation that will be used in rotation.
For Frost - I would love to see better AOE, make the frostfire orb do aoe damage and travel more intelligently.

Arcane barrage is barely used. For frost, I can't think of one at the moment.
Edited by Diremagus on 9/12/2011 9:51 AM PDT
90 Human Mage
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
Both. I kinda got burnt out on raiding in Tier 11, but I'd like to pick raiding back up.

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Heroics when they're new, or if I need gear from them. Otherwise raiding.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
Arenas, and battlegrounds. I usually do Rated BGs on my other toons at the moment.

Nothing too much to note here, other than forgetting to re-conjure Mana Gems before fights start.

Big crits, a lot of burst DPS, controlling people in PvP (as frost), Hot Streak Procs, Finding uses for situational spells (such as Ring of Frost) in PvE content.

Having everything I do be dispeled in PvP, playing Arcane in PvE purely because it is most optimal, I much prefer Fire, when I can't get a proc I want/need (Hot Streak, Impact, etc), when Ignite screws my Combustion as soon as I cast it.

Arcane rotation, it's pretty boring. And can be very frustrating when your mana is lower than you'd like and you can't get it back up. Fire rotation, its alright, could use some work. So many Fireballs O_o.

Less Novas and more dispel protection. I wish Fire was the optimal PvE spec. More balance (I wish I had to try to beat a Warrior with no dispels) (And DKs are very annoying for me, at least).

Flamestrike, Blizzard, Frostfire bolt (in PvE).
85 Worgen Mage

PvE

Raids, and back in the days where my friends were enjoying the game a lot more, we were doing hard mode bosses back in WOTLK

I am a fire mage in hearts and soul and wish the spec to be competitive in single target dps as well as aoe. The fact that a crit based spec does not give any kind of crit talents and that a third of the spec is based around AOE ( impact, pyromaniac, dragon breath, flamestrike, etc. ) makes it a lesser choice for hard core PVE. Back in WOTLK, the spec had loads of single target talent which helped our main dps spell ( instant pyroblasts) as well as massive aoe damage. So a massive revamp of the fire spec would make my time more fun on wow.

I love casting many different spells. Specially when spells are proc based spells that are rewarding to use. ( Pyroblast, Arcane missle, frost fire bolt etc. )

The 2 button dps rotation of arcane while dps cooldowns are not available, non competitive frost pve dps. The awkward fire spec and its mastery.

Actually the rotations for the fire and frost spec is pretty cool except for a few strange things such as being penalized for using our main nuke ' fireball ' by running out of mana. The Rotation for arcane is way to monotone.

Revamp of the fire spec to make it more enjoyable. By enjoyable I mean more interaction than spamming fireball until an instant pyroblast. I want the spec to have more of what makes it fun, meaning more critical strike chance and reward for having critical strike. That or enable some abilities like fireblast to increase our chance of getting critical hits. And less aoe talent and more Single target talent * transforming some aoe talent into single target talent and let the remaining aoe talent be more powerful *

Frost doing competitive dps just because the current frost spec is so fun to play in PVE yet does not enough damage to be competitive.

An end to arcane dominance just because arcane blast does huge amounts of dps.

I use most of the spells in the mage arsenal. except mage ward maybe.

Thank you blizzard for making such a forum. it might makes us want to stick or return to the game. It shows that you care about your custumers

85 Undead Mage
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Mainly PvE.

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids.

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Regular BGs.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Runes of Teleportation / portals that don't stack to 100 like arcane powder.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Shooting fireballs with my hands and being able to kite mobs with any spec. Being able to spec frost to raid again is also great.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Arcane spec having a dull rotation and being the top damage spec by a large margin over frost and fire.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Frost has good rotation. Fire has a fun rotation for AoE, but can be boring on single target when Hot Streak doesn't proc (which happens a lot due to RNG).

Arcane is way too boring right now for me to spec that way.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

Fire spec being less reliant on RNG and reworking Pyromaniac talent to grant its effect if 3 or more dots are present on any target.
Higher AoE damage for frost spec (like making blizzard benefit from FoF).

# What spells do you use the least?

Portal : Thunder Bluff. But in all seriousness, Arcane blast and arcane missiles (because I can't stand playing arcane)
- PVE

- Heroics (until i outgeared them, raiding)

- N/A

- 5 minute CD on mage table, we still need reagents to cast portals, mage table and teleport.
- pigeon holed into one spec, arcane at this time.

The dps and big numbers are what make me happy.

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Could use a little tweaking, but for the most part arcane rotation is working alright. Managing mana is okay.

Making mastery better for arcane, no reagents for some spells, lower cd for mage table.

Can't think of any without my spellbook open.
90 Human Mage
PVE

Normal mode Raids

3 reagents for spells in my pack all the time

Being slippery with many escapes
Big crits
Porting

When procs don't proc
Unsolicited whispers for ports

I really enjoy the current fire spell priority "rotation". Feels like it is something I can master and have a real impact on my own dps with skill alone.

More porting destinations
Better mana cakes
More polymorph types
More or stronger raid buffs

Arcane and Frost damage spells
Mana Shield and Mage Ward
90 Gnome Death Knight
Both.

Raids--normal 10m.

Arenas (low rating), BGs.

Armor (Molten, Mage, Frost) duration (make it last forever).
Ritual of Replenishment cooldown (drop it to 3 minutes or even get rid of it).

Frost pvp: level of control.
Fire pve: reacting to procs, scorching while moving, seeing huge combustions.
Arcane pve: Seeing big numbers every ~2 minutes.

Fire pve: very low single target damage. RNG nature to combustion (and DPS in general).
Arcane pve: I find it very boring.

I like frost and fire. Frost can put out good sim DPS, but can be hard to pull off in practice. Fire feels fun, and interactive. Arcane just feels boring. There are some who enjoy it--but I don't.

Greater spell usage for Arcane.
Higher DPS and less RNG for Fire.
See QoL fixes above.

Use pretty much all of them in the right context.

- PvE

What type of PvE?

- I have focused on a casual raiding style since the beginning of the expansion.

- Lack of casually acquired gear; as has been simulated and tested in raids the most optimal raid set I can obtain reasonably is.. PvP gear (mostly from the set bonuses)

- I never get tired of seeing 100k+ arcane blast crits, sitting back and exploding a target.

- Not that this has been already said to death but, flame orb was really disappointing, and giving us heroism isn't nearly as great as mirror images was in wrath.

- As fun as the dynamic of mana management is really the only deviation I have is; "To spam arcane blast or not to spam arcane blast? That is the question."

- I am somewhat tired of having to wear PvP gear to do my PvE damage role.
- Making fire damage competitive with arcane, I miss it and I fear only good damage will come with high critical chance near the end of the expansion (Like what happened in wrath)

Ring of Frost, I remember this ability was supposed to do some damage and a good snare, for PvE uses anyway, now its just a massive PvP zoning tool.
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE exclusively

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Firelands raiding

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

n/a

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Reagants are annoying. Cost is so cheap it doesn't matter, but just having to make sure I constantly restock reagants can be annoying. Also, broken cooldown on Refreshment Table

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Just being a mage

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Having to play a certain spec in order to keep up on raids

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

My primary spec is and always has been fire. However, due to imbalance I am forced to raid as an arcane mage, which the rotation is an absolute joke

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

To be able to raid as fire once again

# What spells do you use the least?

Frostfire bolt in any spec, and blizzard
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]