Class Feedback – Mage

(Locked)

85 Orc Mage
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Questing, 5 Mans

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] BG's, TB, WG

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. Needing reagents for spells

What makes playing your class more fun? World mobility with transport to all areas of the map. Big numbers on nukes. Spells that proc other spells. Having the ability to CC

What makes playing your class less fun? Squishy as can be if not frost. Too much gear dependency on fire spec. Arcane priority very mundane and repetitive. Frost pet pretty much worthless other than giving FoF procs.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Very spammy. I like how frost spec has procs that change what/when you use abilities. Arcane is sadly boring.

What’s on your wish list for your class? A mass AoE bwl suppression room style slow effect that dramatically slows everything down for X amount of time. Some kind of regular nuke in arcane that doesn't eat half my mana bar per cast to retain maximum damage.

What spells do you use the least? Fire spells, I don't care for the spec now that it's so rng crit based. Mage ward is very situational.
90 Troll Mage
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Fire is way too random.

What makes playing your class more fun?
I enjoy the straightforward playstyle of the Mage in PvE.

What makes playing your class less fun?
I prefer playing fire but with the luck of the draw style it's just too risky.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
It's a very simple rotation no matter which spec you play. I'd say 1 or 2 more viable abilities in the mix would really make you need to focus more in a fight to maximize your dps.

What’s on your wish list for your class?
Get rid of Pyromaniac it's a worthless talent all around and make the fire spec less random. If the theme of Arcane is going to be managing mana their need to be talents and abilities that compliment instead of all the counterproductive things like Arcane Power and Mana Shield. The new talent trees still suck compared to the old ones all it gave Mages was less choices instead of harder choices.

What spells do you use the least?
None really. Every mage spell has a use at 1 point or another.
85 Troll Mage

Pve mostly with casual pvp

Heroic raids

Random bg's with friends

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I would say that after i cast a port, that it doesn't disappear when i use it while my group members are still waiting in the instance.

Its an easy class to master and be good at Pve and pvp without much effort, with the right people and a little more knowledge then the average player, this class is just to good. So many tools and stuff to out of the box.

Nothing, really

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Like most have mentioned and will mention, arcane rotation needs some work on plain single target bosses. But don't be fooled, arcane can be really fun, dynamic and hard at certain situations where it can do just as good as other classes on certain mechanic when its not apparent.

To give an example, on the heroic ragnaros encounter, when your raid is hindered in the Aoe damage department and classes, arcane mages can give a nice surprise when played right, The rotation cen be complex but just right, when you have to trigger Incanter absorption from both mana shield and mage ward, to use a haste trinket for blizzard followed by on the run arcane explosion.

Buff single target fire

Spellsteal
90 Gnome Mage
Both, But primarily PVE.

Heroics, because I do not have time to raid, as it is a large commitment, so I use LFD, but when I get a chance to Raid, I'd prefer to raid.

BG's

Not having to use reagents for teleporting and Porting. They're cheap enough as it is, so it would be convenient to not have to buy reagents for them.

The diverse amount of spells we have at our fingertips. We have a spell for every encounter, whether it be PVP or PVE, we can always give something other than dps to our group. (i.e. interrupts, food, buffs, etc.)

Resorting to using 1 spec over the other 2 because it does the most damage. I am a competitive player, and I will play whatever spec does the most damage, but I wish the classes were more balanced so I didn't have to use arcane 100% of the time. I know it is extremely hard to balance the classes, and they don't have to do the exact same amount of damage, but I wish I could switch to fire/frost occasionally and still do roughly the same amount of damage. Also, I miss the days where you could get your gear up high enough so that you wouldn't need an actual tank, healer, and dps to grind through a heroic. I wish that when you got good enough gear, you could burn through content with some friends, and have a boomkin heal us and dps, and have a dps warrior tank for us. Those days were fun.

Frost: Incredibly fun, just wish it did more damage for PVE (even though pvpers will hate buffs to frost)
Fire: Very fun rotation, but it is largely based on crit to do large damage and because of that, can often be spiky dps
Arcane: I happen to find the arcane rotation extremely fun right now. I like seeing big numbers thrown up on the screen. it gets boring from time to time, but overall, I like it

Frost can get a buff in PVE, and I also wish that in the near future, Blizzard will implement a way that we can do more dps during movement fights. Most of our dps has to be done standing still. Also I wish we had more damage over time spells that we could use. Like flame orb, we can use that on cooldown for a little extra dps, and its just plain fun to use it.

Spellsteal, and most of the spells that are from another talent tree that I am not currently specced as. For example: If I am arcane, I rarely use frost/fire spells, other than cooldowns, like flame orb.
Edited by Zadax on 9/12/2011 10:31 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Mage
What type of content do you focus on?

PvE only.

If PvE, what type of PvE?

Firelands Raiding

Armor buff durations. Please remove them like you did for inner fire/inner will.

Fire: Combustion is a very interesting cooldown.
Arcane: I love the mastery.

Arcane: Movement. There is nothing interesting to do while moving except blink. Arcane barrage clears your stacks of arcane blast which over half the time is something you don't want to do.

Fire: Very inconsistant performance, depends heavily upon hot streaks and proper ignites for your combustion, which can appear appropriate one second but as you hit combustion, the ignite number plummets and your combustion is extremely weak. However, I do feel the rotation is far more fun than the other two specs, and if it were more reliable, I would play fire as my main spec.

Arcane: I think it is overall a pretty fun rotation despite the misunderstanding it gets as the "easy spec." I do think it's a bit simple at the moment in other ways though (see below)

Arcane: All cooldowns are stacked to be used at the exact same moment, for a "burn phase" where you burn your mana until your evocate is up, and then get back to full mana. I'd like to see a cooldown in addition to flame orb that we can use for a dps boost that ideally should be used during a "conservation phase" where we keep our mana high. This would make this spec more fun for me.

Arcane barrage sees very little use in raiding.
85 Human Mage
I'm an Arcane mage.

# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] PVE nowadays, have been very into PVP in the recent past.

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Raiding 25m Firelands, but I also do Heroics when bored.

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] Arenas, and the required regular BGs. Despite doing the original GM grind in vanilla, Rated BGs don't do as much for me as I thought they were going to.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. Nothing, really. I find it a little odd that mages require three different reagents at all times, whereas most classes don't need any reagents at all anymore, but it's a minor inconvenience.

# What makes playing your class more fun? Managing cooldowns. Effective cooldown use is fun, makes you feel like you're actually affecting the outcome of your damage.

# What makes playing your class less fun? Herpderping, spamming 2 buttons and being #1 on damage.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Arcane's rotation is an absolute joke. It's competitive, definitely, and I'm always in the top 3 on damage in my raid, but there's not a ton of reward. Spamming the 1 key until 35% mana, then evocating and hanging at 100% mana until evocates back up is not really that fun. I much prefer the playstyle of fire and/or frost, but they just aren't competitive.

# What’s on your wish list for your class? A buffing of Fire for PVE. Right now Fire kinda has no use whatsoever outside of Alysrazor. It's basically Arcane for raiding and Frost for PVP, which isn't really the case with a lot of other classes. Also Presence of Mind, once the cornerstone of Arcane, is really kind of a useless spell now. I'd like to see that changed somehow, although I'm not sure what I'd do with it.

# What spells do you use the least? Anything that's not Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles? :D
85 Goblin Mage
Currently focusing on PvE (Firelands), however I dable in PvP at times.

Specifically Firelands but I also do heroic (ZA/ZG) and T11 raids at times.

All of the above.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Removal of Armor duration would be excellent. A simple, lasts until cancelled would do fine and not cause any immediate issues I can think of. Mirror Image AI is a little weak atm and I find that they constantly attack the wrong target. The Mirror Images summoned by T12 2P also randomly initiate combat with mobs that I'm not fighting. A handful of the glyphs that mages have to pick from are also next to useless in many situations.

Provides some decent burst/control in PvP and is usually able to top the DPS meters during a raiding environment.

Mastery, while an interesting statistic overall, is very lackluster for both Fire and Frost (in PvE at least) and provides to much of a jaded benefit for Arcane. Arcane only has 2 viable spells to use to maintain a high benefit from it's mastery and becomes very dull due to it.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
The Frost rotation is excellent. I have absolutely no complaints and I think that it is by far the most fun spec to play at the moment. Fire is a close second and I believe if the RNG issues and damage output are addressed if would be fine. Now for Arcane. The rotation is dull, simple and boring. Many mages like to defend that it is NOT a 2 button spec, however the truth of the matter is that it is. ~80% of my damage is made up of Arcane Blast on any giving boss fight with the other 20% is a mix of Arcane Missiles and Flame Orb. Arcane also suffers IMMENSELY from fights that require a substantial amount of movement. The original T12 4P bonus that allowed us to cast Arcane Missiles while moving would have completely addressed this issue, however it was replaced with the lackluster Arcane Power bonus. TL;DR Frost and Fire have a fine rotation, Arcane is very boring and puts me to sleep.

- A more fluid Arcane rotation.
- Higher base Fireball damage and a lower cast time to bring it into competition with Frost and Arcane.
- Less crit dependent RNG for FIre.
- More movement for Arcane. Re-Incorporate the old T12 4P bonus to cast Arcane Missiles while moving.

Arcane Barrage (Helps the movement handicap of Arcane but provides low DPS doing so)
Slow Fall (Blink > Slow Fall)
Mana Shield (Mage ward is better in almost all circumstances)
Ring of Frost (has little to no uses in PvE)
Slow (the passive Arcane Blast slow from talenting makes the spell itself trivial)
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Mostly PVE but occasionally PvP

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics and Old World Raids for funsies.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs

Only ever BGs.

]■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters

Nothing that I can think of.

.■What makes playing your class more fun?

Blinking, Portalling, Spellstealing, really all of the random fun spells Mages have.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

Arcane. It is too simple and it's almost like I only ever need two spells since no other spells will really help my DPS much. There seems to be no depth to it.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Again, far too simple. Two spells isn't even really a rotation imo <_<

■What’s on your wish list for your class

I want the other talent trees to balance out in the end. Or at the least, for Arcane to get some kind of balances or new spells to make it more fun. Some more Portals would also be nice, but maybe I'm just greedy lol.

■What spells do you use the least?

Prescense of Mind. There's really...no need for it. I only ever use it to cast an instant Mana Gem. Spellsteal also is a bit underused in PvE, but that's it as far as I can tell.
I do PvE content.

Mainly 25 person raiding.

No PvP

Stones for portals could be taken away. Just takes space.

Arcane - Burst damage - Big crits.

Arcane is a 2 button rotation basically that could use some help. Arcane Blast and Arcane Missile.

See Above for Arcane.

Fire to be more reliable and a little simpler with the strength of combustion.
Arcane a spell or 2 new added into the rotation. The ability to toss Arcane missiles moving to have some DPS in high mobility fights.
Frost - Frost is the quote PVP spec. It should have a direct purpose for players in PvE raiding also if mages choose to play the class. DPS wise frost can not stack up to fire and or arcane. To lose 10% or more DPS is unacceptable to most raiding guilds when bosses are on enrage timers. If buffing frost makes it too powerful for pvp establish a way when its in pvp to make it less powerful but don't punish PvE players who would like to play a spec for some versatility.

Never use frostbolt ffb, fireball in arcane.

Bottom line at least for raiding mages in our guild we are 6/7 regular firelands is that we can not top the damage meters. We seem to be in the middle of the pack for the most part 7 to 10 compared to other classes and took a damage reduction to make another of our spec classes more viable. As you even notice in your own lead designers comments on the mage comparing arcane to make fire look more attractive to play. To give a choice. However, we are the only class that has a spec in frost that is a PVP spec which only gives mages 2 real specs to play. You could actually do somethings with frost and somehow buff it DPS wise and put a possible heal into it like the shadow priest.
90 Human Mage
Both

Heroic and raids.

All

The combination of Arcane Intellect and Brilliance was good. The Mage Ward too.

Being able to use the spec I want and get on average the same results as any other spec. For me, I like frost.

Being forced to play arcane to get the best results in raid.

Arcane could use a more interesting rotation.

That all specs for mages can be used equally well in PvE and PvP. Also a Mass Slow Fall would be nice.

If I'm doing arcane, I don't use Flame Orb. The only reason is that arcane does not benefit from it. Other than that, there is not really a spell that I do not use.
90 Blood Elf Mage
-Both

-Raid

-Arenas,Rated BGs

-Give us a minor glyph for free mage tables. I know the mats are cheap but when your running back to back pvp u sometimes forget to buy these.

-Raw damage output

- I play mostly arcane and the rotation makes the class frowned upon because it takes no skill at all.

- Fire,Frost are okay. Arcane on the other hand needs revamped.

- Fire damage increased, Arcane revamped to be more mobile and skill based maybe arcane missiles on the move or something to take care of mobility and another spell thrown into our rotation hitting 2 buttons and barrage when on the move is pretty boring. Also the hole arcane mastery could use some change.

- I play arcane so id have to say barrage and missiles for pve.

90 Gnome Mage
My main focus is pve with pvp being done during my "bored" state

all of the above really, heroics, raids, low level quests, dailies

generaly just random BG's

in keeping with the spirit of your example in this question i would say doing away with reagents Rune of Teleportation Rune of Portals Arcane Powder would go along way to improve things for me personally.

I know this will probably sound lame but fun for me is being able to help friends and guildies when they need it.

less fun would be pvp for me, i know i'm a clothie and thus prone to dieing for no other reason then cause a strong breeze was blowing hehe just kidding, but i do feel atleast from my play style that pvp is out of my reach due to the fact i simply "can't do it"

Arcane I consider "easy mode" while fire and frost both i consider to be where the real challenge is...frost more so. fire i can get good dps out of from its rotation but i've yet to find a good frost dps rotation that keeps up with the other two like you guys have said it does in past postings

my wish list is full of various things so i'll limit to three
1. that when future mage gear is being designed that the designers try harder to keep a mage look. examples of a "mage look" are teir 1 and 2 and 5
2. that when balancing out the three specs that more thought or concern is put into keeping it where i dont have to change gems and enchants just cause i change spec...i know this may be harder for other class's that go from tanking to dps to healing, it shouldn't be so for mages...all we do is dps :-\
3. lastly i would like to see more abilities for the water elemental or to have the water elemental usable in other spec

in all honesty, all of them except for the primary attacks, buffs i only use when i need them, polymorphs only when called for in raid or heroics, shields generaly only in pvp.

i would suggest going ahead and doing away with the personal teleport to city ability and just leveing us with the create portal but with a reduced cast to say around 5 secs
Edited by Moftheg on 9/12/2011 10:27 AM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE and PvP only when i am bored

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids and Heroic Raids mostly. Heroics when my friends need help.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BGs

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

In arcane it's managing mana. I feel as if I just fall off the radar in my conservative phase and if I push my AB4 I lose mana and therefore lose my mastery benefit.

In fire and frost I don't like having to sacrifice performance in order to have fun with my class.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

Just being a mage is fun to me.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

Being forced to play Arcane for all fights cept a couple of farm ones.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”?

In arcane it's monotinous at best, but it seems to be only thing available to the spec, while Fire and Frost are perfect, just fire has too much crit dependancy and not enough crit availble on the gear and frost just doesnt have the numbers to compete.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

The ability to pick frost, fire, or arcane in a boss fight depending on my mood.
Mage Armors to not have a buff timer on them.

■What spells do you use the least?

Remove Curse, RoF, Blizzard
pve

Raids

- Refreshment Table CD too long.

- As arcane mana management.
- As fire versatility and the aoe potential.
- As frost pet management.

- As arcane and frost the AOE rotation is very boring.
- As fire the rng and low single target damage.

- As arcane is fine (single target).
- As fire... it needs to be fixed, the damage is too random (and low most times).

- For fire a talent like this: "each time you dont score a critical hit with Fireball you gain a stack of <insert buff name>. When you have 5 stacks of <insert buff name> you release them to trigger Hot Streak.
- Pyromaniac should do something more, like increasing dot duration of pyroblast.
- New pve skill for water elemental to use when doing aoe.
- Give more PVE oriented talents to frost, and more pvp oriented talents to fire and arcane.

What spells do you use the least? <blockquote/>

- Ring of frost (pve)
Edited by Piñuflo on 9/12/2011 10:27 AM PDT
90 Human Mage
Both

Early Hard-modes (usually final hard-modes near next tier transition)

All of the above (2350+, battlemaster/100k, 1950+ casual)

5 minute cooldown on mage table (with constant glitches)
Teleport and Portal reagents stack in 20s, whereas Arcane Dust stacks in 100s.

What makes playing your class more fun/less fun/rotation
I'm going to answer this in two sections: PvE and PvP.

PvE: I am overall satisfied with arcane PvE (contrary to what most mages will post in this thread). It is by far the most challenging spec to play well at competitive dps environments like heroic firelands. It has a nice balance of single-target and AoE damage coupled with extra abilities to help with survivability. I do, however, believe that the damage coefficient on Arcane Blast needs to be toned down and have AM or ABarr increased. While keeping stacks up is an awesome mechanic, it would be nice to have a couple more spells fill the gaps. Maybe increase AB's mana cost, but giving AM an ability to regenerate a particular amount of mana. I am also quite disappointed with how fire has turned out. Such a strong spec has been eclipsed due to poor CD lengths and huge situational CD necessity.

PvP: As a frost pvp player, I feel that our class does WAY TOO MUCH DAMAGE. Come to think of it, a lot of classes do WAY TOO MUCH DAMAGE. Damage is just ridiculous right now and I think everyone is deserving of a little toning down. With that being said, healing would also need a bit of a reduction as well. Playing as a frost mage in arena is a lot more about dealing with pressure than it is actually casting a spell. It is kind of sad to see the class come to the way it has. With mages stacking mastery now (and we need to stack mastery because crit and haste are not nearly as good in comparison), we have become a class of run and shoot. Ice barrier absorbs 1 hit from any class at the moment and it feels as though mages have turned from a offensive/defensive hybrid into a purely offensive class. Honestly, I would love to be able to tank some hits from melee at the cost of a little damage reduction. Instead I usually end up having to flail around rooting / slowing / ccing (especially without dispel protection) until the stars align and my partners and I can just blow something up in 5 seconds. Not necessarily what I think of as fun, but of course there are some great things about the class. I still love the way frost sets up its damage. It feels solid to get a polymorph off and deep freeze after the poly. It feels solid when I counterspell my off-target and land a deep freeze on the kill target. It feels solid how I can still put out some pressure with ice lances while I flail around a bit (aka cant cast anything due to the fact I will die in a couple globals or get interrupted by every class imaginable).

PvE: More emphasis on the spell weaving of AM and Abarr into our AB focused rotation. Possibly more movement dps capabilities.

PvP: I want more defensive investment and a bit taken away offensively. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not do this without taking away some of the offensive abilities of other classes. Arena has become this environment full of instant gibs from switches instead of actual coordination and control. That's not to say some melee cleaves and etc can still exist, but it is starting to get a bit ridiculous. I would also love for haste to become more valued as a stat in comparison to mastery. I miss the days when you didn't have to juke 3-4 times until you could poly, which just gets gibbed by a stun anyways.

PvE: Fireblast (used for movement after ABarr has been used) and Blizzard

PvP: Mana Gem (occasionally used) and Blizzard
Edited by Erosis on 9/12/2011 10:35 AM PDT
90 Human Mage
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids (mainly firelands)

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Arenas and BGs mostly, Rated BGs when they appear.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
No issues.

# What makes playing your class more fun?
Being able to support myself in tight situations in both PvE and PvP.

# What makes playing your class less fun?
Frost not being equal to or better than arcane which makes me unable to raid with it on progression. Also the lack of a ranged AoE that can be done on the move instantly that can put out more damage than flamestrike. Lastly, arcanes rotation.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I feel my rotation is very boring as arcane. Pressing arcane blast until my hand breaks gets old fast.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?
An ability that allows us to reduce a % of damage taken that is on a 1-2 minute cooldown. Also making cold snap a shorter cooldown and having a small self heal overtime similar to other dps classes.

# What spells do you use the least?
Blizzard
90 Worgen Mage
OOB
What type of content do you focus on? Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? All of the above

Mage Table - may be best if it just takes one person to summon, no need to use 3 people anymore really

Honestly, PvE I can't think of anything that makes the Mage more fun than other classes. This may be due to Arcane fatigue. I used to really enjoy raiding as Fire, spreading a combustion on Halfus and really blowing stuff up. Now I spend 95% of my time looking at my mana bar and my debuffs and hardly even look at the boss I'm fighting or what is going on.

Generally I find the Mage class is pretty good. The main issue is that while we have 3 talent specs, the choice is a lot more restrictive if you want to play competitively. For Arenas you must play Frost or you die in seconds. For Firelands you must play Arcane (or Fire on the niche roll of going up during Alystraza) or you will be doing only two thirds of the damage.

Mage PvP is great in Rated Battlegrounds. I'm loving them. However, in Arenas I generally find that I am running for my life 50% of the time and thats no fun at all. If you are beating on a Warlock or a Hunter they still manage to put out a lot of damage while trying to survive, but a Mage needs to flee, turtle up, and find a corner to cry in. Its especially bad against any and all melee characters (blink away and they grip you back or use one of their countless gap closers, try to root them and they anti-magic aura or stun you and you die). Arcane and Fire mages have little place in Arenas, and Frost Mages are supposed to be about control but with diminishing returns, dispels, abilities and trinkets and so many ways to evade CC it often is simply about running for your life. Conversely my girlfriend playing a Feral Druid is all about her getting in their face and beating away - she never has to run or hide and she's higher ranked than me with less experience and arguably less skill (her words and mine). Mages were better in the glass cannon model, but we're becoming a lot more glass and a lot less cannon. (loss of our level 85 ability Time Warp in Arenas being a big issue, as every other class has an 85 ability they get to use).

Arcane is extremely boring because you never look at the game, you always look at your mana bar and keep clicking two buttons over and over.

I just want something new. Cataclysm was extremely disappointing for my Mage. Fire Orb was hyped to be something cool but really is just a dot. Ring of Frost was unique and I enjoy it, though it of course is limited to a PvP environment. Time Warp was the biggest disappointment being our level 85 ability that we absolutely never use in Arenas, never use in raiding (the shaman have always used it in the past, and they don't stack), etc. The talent re-design also took away Focus Magic and some abilities that we enjoyed. Compare this to my Shaman who got Unleash Elements which became a primary ability in every rotation and scenario, Healing Rain (more useful for healers than non-healers but used in most raiding scenarios regardless), and the game changing Spiritwalker's Grace. Shamans are fundamentally similar, but they got a new cadre of abilities and means to change their play-styles where Mages got one new ability usable in PvP, a new DoT that often misses its target in PvP and even PvE, and our 85 ability that we never use.

Arcane Barrage is a weird spell that is rarely used in most situations. Time Warp I only use in Rated Battlegrounds which is a very small percentage of the game. Dragon's Breath is probably the least used Fire ability. Frost seems pretty solid.
Edited by Kelrox on 9/12/2011 10:31 AM PDT

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• Primarily PvE
  • If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Heroic Raids
  • If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• I mainly do PuG BGs
  • What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• Related to my class? Mana Gems and having to constantly refresh them and making room for them in my inventory. Reagents in general.

During BGs, Invisibility suffers from many of the issues Vanish did, in that I can invis and be knocked out by melee afterward. Please consider giving this the Vanish treatment.

Related to the game? The terrible implimentation of the Vote/Kick tool in RDF. Most of my guild never does any RDF things because it's such a pain to get stuck with a bunch of terribles and slog through an instance for 3 hours for 140 valor.
  • What makes playing your class more fun?

• I like the tools and tricks a mage has in his arsenal. I originally played Runescape, a long, long time ago, and Magic was easily the most versatile stat in that game. When I read that mages had portals in this game, I rolled them, thinking it would have a similar effect. To be fair, that was 6 years ago and I was like, 15.

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• The fact that Arcane is mindnumbingly boring and "difficult" in a nebulous, annoying way. The fact that Arcane is the only spec for mages as the other two aren't competitive. (And yes, I tried frost, I was 20+ on WoL for a while, parsed 2nd on Domo N.)

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• Frost is fun. It could do with a bit of tweaking, as the opening rotation with Cold Snap can be easily thrown off and is difficult to recover from. "storing" a FoF charge is a little clunky but needed to ensure you have charges when DF and BF proc.

Arcane, in a word, sucks. Managing mana, particularly when int procs throw your percentages off by a wild amount constantly, is not fun. The actual rotation itself is not fun either.

Fire is too reliant on RNG and perfect, lucky timing to get combustion spread to adds. It's difficult to track ignite to make sure you have a good tick, and ignite muching continues to be an issue.
  • What’s on your wish list for your class?

• Fixing frost and fire.

• What spells do you use the least?
  • [/ul]

Ring of Frost in Firelands. Arcane Barrage. Invisiblity.
    Edited by Indarys on 9/12/2011 10:29 AM PDT
    85 Gnome Mage

Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
    • PvE(90% of the time)

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
    • Non-Heroic Raids, Sometimes I will Instance to kill time

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
    • - I will BG, or Arena

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
    • Blink, going backwards at time..Current Reagents for Portals/Teleport.

• What makes playing your class more fun?
    • Doing high amount of damage(BUT hitting more than arcane blast)

• What makes playing your class less fun?
    • Arcane Blast/No choices of Specs for DPS

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    • Arcane - Mind numbingly boring... Fire- a nice mix of spells. Frost - PERFECT

• What’s on your wish list for your class?
    • For All 3 specs do do well in PvE. Fire has become more than lackluster, and frost brings almost nothing to the table except for replenishment which most raids have already(had most people have it in mind that the spec is poor dps =[ )

• What spells do you use the least?
    [/quote]SlowFall, MageArmor/Mage Ward, Arcane Barrage, Flamestrike(as fire/arcane) Decurse, Fireblast in PvE(unless im fire)
    86 Blood Elf Mage
    Note: I write this as someone with experience with all three specs in both PvE and PvP, so it might be a little long. <3

Both.

Normal progression raiding.

Mostly regular BGs and world PVP, although I enjoy arenas and rated BGs as well.

Aside from having a spell that can give our pet aggro, the only real QoL improvement I could see is removing the Arcane Powder reagent from the game. I understand the teleport/portal runes [though there should be only one], but the powder is needlessly restricting an already situational spell.

More than any other class, mages are "glass cannons". I like the added difficulty of having limited armor and health in return for higher burst. Similarly, in PVP I love our versatility - fire mages top all other classes in terms of mobility, frost is awesome for control, and arcane has nearly unrivaled burst damage.

Fire: Honestly, my only gripe about fire is that it doesn't have the single target damage to be viable on a competitive level in raiding or arenas. I understand that its AOE and movement capabilities are nearly unmatched, but some semblance of single target damage should still exist without making the spec too OP.

Frost: The only thing I wish I could change about Frost is pretty much tied solely to being able to solo old content. I'd like to either be able to "misdirect" off to my elemental (which can be healed through talents already), or at least have a shorter cooldown self-heal. Of course, these spells would be made useless in pvp to offset the frost mage's already notorious reputation - taunts don't work anyways, and the heal could have a cast time or be dispellable to ensure that good arena teams have no difficulty with it.

Arcane: Hoo, boy. A lot of what I have to say here can go into rotation, but aside from that, I dislike how this class has exactly one spell that is viable during movement - two if you count an off-spec spell with an even longer cooldown.

Frost and fire rotations are both fine, in my opinion. They're flexible but mostly fun to use. Arcane, however...I understand that the 1 1 1 1 1... burn phase is a major part of the class, but I'd really like to have more spells to work with. At the very least, adding some spells that can be cast while moving would be a great idea, but I think another method could be to add in some powerful "nuke" spells that could be based off of Arcane Blast stacks, almost like Rogue combo points. I wouldn't honestly be averse to a complete makeover of Arcane.

More spells period for Arcane. More pet utility and options for soloing for Frost. For fire...uh...fix ignite munching?

Hard-casted pyroblast, Mage Ward when not arcane...that's it really.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]