Class Feedback – Mage

(Locked)

85 Worgen Mage
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE, exclusively. 10 man raids.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Proc RNG. Right now you could have up to 4 gear slots that provide proc effects, all cycling independently. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to have very minimal control over an aspect of our character that seems to be becoming a more and more prevalent part of this game(we now are forced into proc based weapon enchants, and more and more trinkets are based off procs).

This isn't a "mage specific" issue -- every class unfortunately has to deal with their procs proccing when they don't need or want them to. As arcane however, I feel that we're more dependent than any other class on our procs lining up with our cds/self buffs in order to maximize our damage, and it's again, it's just incredibly frustrating to have so little control over them.
Edited by Fiscal on 9/12/2011 10:34 AM PDT
87 Troll Mage
PvE.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Everything, incluiding old content.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
My raid group hates when I don't use Arcane, since not only my DPS drops, but they lose Arcane Tactics.

What makes playing your class more fun?
Blink, Portals, Slowfall, Sheep...mages are pretty much the most usefull/fun class in the game when out of combat.

What makes playing your class less fun?
As Arcane, most battles are exactly the same. Some fights as frost are really fun and challenging, like soloing the larvas in Magmaw, but Arcane Mage is always the same thing: Not Stand in fire and press 1.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Stupid as Arcane Mage, hard to keep up as Fire Mage.

What’s on your wish list for your class?
More Portals, more spells as Arcane, being able to use Fire & Frost in Raids.

What spells do you use the least?
Frostfire Bolt.
85 Undead Mage
What type of content do you focus on?

PvP, exclusively.

If PvP, what type of PvP?

I mainly focus on 2v2 and 3v3 arenas, with RBGs added in and the occasional random BG when I'm bored.

Arcane powder on tables in random BGs. I run out pretty quickly because I drop one in every BG. Possibly removing the recuierment for the reagent while in the "start up" phase (no mana cost to spells etc) would be amazing.

Our CC and ability to contol the fight to our liking. I love slowing down my enemies and slowly wearing them out, while avoiding their damage with my own CD's and abilities.

Instant cast spam. I hate ice lance, I hate spamming it to do decent damage. I want to be able to cast frostbolt again and have it MATTER IE. have it do more damage that it already does. Currently the risk v. reward for casting frostbolt is to great, there is a huge risk on getting interrupted (there are many interrupts and ways to stop casters currently) and very little reward (little damage outside of a shatter). I would love for mage pvp to go back to casting frostbolt and less IL spam.

Also, I don't find it fun taking off 60-70% of someones life in a shatter combo and then having my damage be pathetic elsewhere.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I love my shatter combos, but I would love to see less emphases on IL spamming in pvp.

Frost mage mastery being nerfed, we do to much burst for our control, and control is all about the frost mage playstyle. I would much rather CC to kill than doing unhealable amounts of burst in a short amount of time.

I would also love to see impact moved down in the fire tree, it's currently way to much CC for a frost mage to have and can stop someone from casting for far to long when RNG favors you.

Another thing would be to not have a pet anymore. That's one of the biggest things that has bugged me since cata came out. I despise pet classes, one of the things that really kept me with my mage and not going to a warlock of DK. If there was a way to work it out without completely crippling mages in pvp and pve, that would be great.

Flamestrike, arcane blast, blizzard (only used for rogues in smoke bomb). The rest all have a use for me in pvp.
Edited by Xiun on 9/12/2011 12:29 PM PDT
PVE, with a spattering of PVP here and there, (like on AV weekend and stuff.)

Heroics, raids if I can find a pug group, and I like running old content.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Used to arena, but I got too annoyed at being terrible at it, so I focus mainly on BGs, and possibly RBGs soon.

When helping out lower-levelled players, I find I can't provide them delicious cake, due to the level restriction.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEP. Also, being able to cast and run with a few spells.

Being-mid cast and having to get out of floor goop, and having to cast all over again. Beyond that, my class is just fun in general. (Well, it would be nice if we could take a hit better.)

I love my rotation. As an arcane mage, my life is very easy. (Mind, I worry that my rotation is incorrect, but I love what I've got.)

Wish list? Oh man, being able to spec into 'battle mage' or something, and being able to wear mail or plate. We'd just be far to OP though, so that won't happen. Alas.

Generally, fire.
1: What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Answer: I predominately focus on PvE. But I dabble in PvP casually.

2: If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Answer: Normal raids; two nights a week (five hours a week). I am 4/7 and my guild just got to 5/7 this week (I couldn't make this week because of real life stuff). I am also a big fan of questing (even low level quests). I am NOT a fan of alts. Moreover, dailies are NOT the same as questing. -.-

Because I enjoy my time spent with my guild in mumble, I also do old world stuff and tier 11 stuff on off-raid nights but with no obligation.

3: If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Answer: About a week ago, I got the season 10 pvp pants. I've been pvp'ing on occasion since then. I'm enjoying it and am starting to do some arenas. However, opportunies for rated battlegrounds are woefully limited on my server. I pvp as frost. Before this, I was just pvp'ing as Arcane in pve gear.

4: What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Answer: Moar teleports! (just kidding. But no, not really lol). If I didn't have a traveler's mammoth, I would suppose the material costs would annoy me. At the end of the day, the biggest quality-of-life thing for me is making the mage class fun. Also terrain-blink errors.

5: What makes playing your class more fun?

Answer: Class-exclusive perks are fun for me. Being able to teleport, blink, and do mage-things makes it fun for me. Also I enjoy having to need only one set of gear. (pvp gear is an OK exception).

6: What makes playing your class less fun?

Answer: In truth, I wish I had a real choice besides one dps spec and another spec filled with bugs. The fire tree is very un-fun for me because of how random and seemingly buggy it is to me. I don't like how I absolutely NEED to have combustionhelper or a similiar addon to be decent in it. And I don't like how I need to have a degree in Math to understand how Fire works (esp AoE). In sum, I don't enjoy how fire works currently.

7: How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Answer: I am currently Arcane. I both like and dismiss the rotation. As a raiding mage, I know better than most about how the Arcane class operates. I find the Arcane rotation is OK. i just wish my 5-man rotation wasn't just 100% burn phase except when aoe'ing.

8: What’s on your wish list for your class?

Guys, I am not going to use this thread as an opportunity to beg for buffs. You get enough of that. I would just like the mage class to be remain fun and be a bit more like mages. If mages could somehow get books or have something to do with books, that might be awesome. No, not lame stuff like collectables or like hunter pets (which are lame). Just something else that makes me feel more like a mage and not just another ranged DPS.

You know what would be cool though? A cooler visual when Arcane mages activate their burn phase.

9: What spells do you use the least?

The ability, "Shoot."

Other than that, I probably actively use all my spells. (except decurse. That hurts my dps. Healers can decurse if they want to dispel so freaking badly! Do I look like I have healbot installed?)
Edited by Pensive on 9/12/2011 12:06 PM PDT
85 Human Mage

I'm an arcane mage, and I primarily play for PVP.

In terms of PVE, all I do are dailies and questing.

In terms of PVP, I primarily play in BGs, RBGs and some Arena.

My biggest quality of life issues include the following: Most other classes have some kind of self heal. Rogues can even heal, and they aren't even magical. Warlocks get a version of Evocation that allows them to heal also. It would make more sense to allow Mage Evocation to heal, without the glyph. I wouldn't see this being such a huge issue, considering Paladins can bubble with Avenging Wrath, smack my partner senseless while invulnerable, and then can heal himself practically to full. I have to at least hide to use my Evocation. I also think that Polymorph needs to have the healing component taken away. Warlocks can DoT me senseless while they Fear me, Paladins can wail on me and their Hammer of Justice stun never breaks, I feel like giving Mages a CC on terms with what everybody else has seems fair.

Playing a Mage is fun because of the versatility of the class. We can tie up an entire battle field, or decimate it, and sometimes if you're good, even do it at the same time. Keeping our role versatile is what's going to keep the class alive. Me becoming a glass cannon does me no good, I need to have a little more utility like you've offered with some of the recent changes.

The things that are kind of a bummer about being a mage are that we are so very easily locked down by a decent melee class. All the melee classes have some form of Silence, and yet casters don't have a Disarm effect, save for Shadow Priests. Seems a little uneven. If I'm up against casters, I know I have a chance to do something worthwhile. If I see a DK, a Rogue and a Warrior coming at me, I'm not even going to try and fight, I go Invisible and come back to fight another day.

In PVP, I don't really consider a rotation. Playing Arcane is about making the right choices, about continuing your Arcane Blast spam, or about cutting it off with Missiles or a Barrage. It would be nice to have another Arcane damage spell, considering Fire and Frost have a few other options.

I've always thought a Mage having some kind of "Fire Form" like Shadow Form would be awesome. A situational Disarm would be nice, like "Freeze Weapon." Also, giving us new abilities that scale with an expansion's progression would be awesome. Ring of Frost is an amazing tool, we already have Heroism on the board, including Hunter pets, and Flame Orb is just a proc setter. Give me something that'll hit harder and harder as an expansion goes on.

I very rarely use Flame Orb. As an Arcane mage, it's just another instant that may or may not hit stuff. There are talents that I rarely use much more notably than spells, but that's getting a bit off topic.

Thanks!
85 Gnome Mage
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] My current focus is mainly on PVE, although I have tried focusing on PVP in the past.

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Heroics(when they are newly released) and Raids(Progression raiding).

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] I have done Arena and BGs.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
The biggest problem that I seem to run across that frustrates me is reagents required for portals. I can understand the reasoning behind a reagent for a Refreshment Table. I don't understand why a reagent is required for teleporting and portals. On a side note, having to conjure Mana Gems mid-fight sucks.

■What makes playing your class more fun? The pure damage output is nice. Being a very mobile class is also excellent. Also, contrary to popular opinion amongst the mage community, I feel that our Mastery is quite excellent for the Arcane spec. I have yet to come across in my time playing this game a Mastery that feels more involved than the Arcane mastery. Fire and Frost mastery is rather bland and boring as they are mostly just a "heres more damage" mastery. Arcane's however, you have to be aware of your mana pool, know when and when not to cast certain spells, and manage your resource incredibly well in order to gain the most that you can. Most masteries in this game are just a passive "here is more damage or healing."

■What makes playing your class less fun? For a class that focuses solely on damage output, we seem to be the most vulnerable to interrupts. An optimal rotation from each of the three specs has you casting a spell with a cast time for a very extended portion of the battle. Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to play the game because of CCs and interrupts. We have little to no interrupt protection. If we were to focus on a playstyle that negates the possibility of being interrupted, we would be casting our instant spells that do poor damage.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Arcane and Fire rotation is excellent, and I don't think I would change anything about them. Frost feels a LOT like whack-a-mole. Frost doesn't have a very specific rotation, but more of a priority list.

■What’s on your wish list for your class? A spell with a lengthy CD(2 minutes maybe) that can dispel a silence effect, sort of like an "Every Man For Himself", but for spell lockout. Some better self-healing would be nice. Using a Mana Gem could basically just be an instant cast that gives you X mana and X spellpower with the equivalent CD. Conjuring Mana Gems is extremely frustrating.

■What spells do you use the least? Frostfire Bolt, Blizzard.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback! <3 you Blizz :D
90 Human Mage

I focus on a FAIR bit of both. This expansion I've been doing slightly more PvE.

Heroics and the occasional raid...been having guild issues a lot this expansion so raiding hasn't happened much.

Arenas on my mage.

The only thing remotely annoying are portal reagents but I can live with that. Oh and table reagents. I always found it strange that Warlocks can summon their cookies for free but I can't summon a table for free. Not a big deal though. I can live with it.

Strangely worded question....but I guess I just like how self sufficient mages are. They can port to cities, make their own food, create their own mana gems. Its very convenient. And you can share most of these things with your group members. Makes me feel important. :D

So-so AoE. :( I PvE as frost and I have to say the AoE is quite lackluster. Some people on MMO champ wish for Blizzard (the spell) the interact with FoF again. On another note Frost AoE is rather boring. Hopefully next expansion you guys add a second move that would combo into Blizzard.

Frost: I love it. Its the perfect rotation. :D Perhaps if you give another spell the Deep Freeze treatment though it might be able to get closer to Arcane's damage. For example, maybe Deep Freeze or Brain Freeze would put a debuff on PvE targets that increases frost damage or something. Or maybe just make the DoT on FFB better. It'd help Fire and Frost specs.

Fire: Its fun too! But the damage is too low to be of much use. :( But its a great rotation. Perhaps it could get a spell like "Freeze" ...the one Frost Mages use.... which would force Hot Streak to proc. Its far too RNGish. And no one likes being dependent on RNG.

Arcane: Boring. T_T I hope in the future it gets a more interesting rotation OR it just gets in damage nerfed. Its unfair that a spec with such a simple rotation is so good. I recall a blue saying BM won't get its damage buffed to be on the top of the meters because it has a simple rotation. Well I wonder what his stance is on Arcane.

-Better AoE.

-Closer DPS among the 3 specs.

-More interesting arcane rotation. Lower dmg if the rotation will not be changed.

-A raid buff for Frost. It just brings Replenishment which every caster can bring. Fire brings crit and Arcane brings a damage buff. I'd love it if Frost had a raid buff too. +Spell Power buff would be nice. :D

Arcane Missiles. Even in arcane spec its not used much. Same thing with Arcane Barrage. Its arcane's signature move. I think it should be worked into the rotation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading blizzard. I can't wait for the next patch. :)
85 Human Mage
As a mage who primarily focuses on raiding I suppose my big issue with mages (now and in the past) is that you have to learn two different PvE classes.

To elaborate, coming into WotLK and Cataclysm the "correct" raid spec was Fire. As gear scales up, Arcane becomes so much better that playing Fire is a mistake anywhere but on gimmick fights.

I like Fire. I hate that I have to learn both Fire and Arcane and play the (more boring) Arcane spec as the game progresses. It's like Fire mages are Mage Jr. and Arcane is Mage Sr. and you have to "graduate up" to Arcane. That's not compelling gameplay to me because there isn't really any choice.

As for spells that are useless - Frostfire Bolt became worthless in PvE when you introduced the new talent tree system (and doesn't really have a place in PvE at all, unfortunately, since it will either be better or worse than Fireball for Fire and only one can be our main nuke). Our AoE is also generally terrible - Flamestrike is weak even when instant-casting it as Fire, Blizzard is useless except for the snare it gives if you're Frost and Arcane Explosion does less-or-equal AoE damage than the normal AB/AM rotation does, and requires way more effort.
90 Worgen Mage
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
I only PvE on my Mage.
# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
I have raided seriously in the past but have not this expansion.
# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Mage's quality of life is pretty good; I have no qualms.
# What makes playing your class more fun?
I love the bursty-ness of Arcane, the feeling of burning all my energy as fast as I can to damage my enemies.
# What makes playing your class less fun?
Waiting for evocation to come back on CD.
# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I hate that during my "conserve" phase I only have two buttons to press if I really want to be efficient. During this time I feel like Im waiting for a bus to take me back to awesome-town.
# What’s on your wish list for your class?
An effective use for Arcane Barrage. It's our special ability we get at lvl 10, it's supposed to help define the spec. But beyond some inefficient damage on the run, it has absolutely no play in my rotation, much less my spec. I also hate that there are no talents that have anything to do with Arcane Barrage. Orb of Fire has more procs and effects for Arcane than Arcane Barrage.
# What spells do you use the least?
Arcane Barrage, Frostfire bolt, Cone of Cold.
Edited by Delach on 9/12/2011 10:41 AM PDT
90 Troll Mage
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

PvE

Mainly Raids, and Heroic Raids.

N/A

Reagants, that's about it.

High damage, can switch specs to make gameplay completely different to do the same roll.

The main damage spec is the easiest one to play, and has the least amount of buttons.

There are a few other damaging spells that we rarely use, such as arcane barrage, that could be used to improve the variety in rotation.

To make at least one other spec very viable for raiding, to where you can actually have more than one other mage type in raids.

Arcane Barrage, really almost completely useless, especially for this tier of content.
85 Draenei Mage
What type of content do you focus on? PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics/Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? BGs

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Proc reliance of frost and fire

What makes playing your class more fun? being able to use any spec without the feeling of gimping group

What makes playing your class less fun? the most optimal spec only using 2 buttons

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Fire Rotation/priority is perfect. Frost priority need a slight tweak. and arcane is dull.

What’s on your wish list for your class? For Frost: an abilty that the has a short cooldown
(15 secs or so) that the elemental uses to proc fingers of frost that doesn't require targeting. For Fire: a way to improve hot streak procs and mana efficiency.

What spells do you use the least? Ring of Frost

85 Undead Mage
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

PvE

Raids, but I spend a great deal of time Pugging Heroics too while grinding for gear.

Lack of ability to summon low level food after years of being able to do that. Not enough locations with teleport/portal spells. Non-existent "fly spell" that would allow 3D movement in battle grounds/dungeons/raids/out-doors. Lack of ability to supply more than one combat PvE role.

Being supremely powerful and useful.

Realizing that my class isn't all that powerful (because if it was, there'd be all sorts of balance issues), that all of the super specialness of my class isn't all that special (everyone can teleport, those food biscuits I make really aren't all that desirable since the only one that even needs to eat and drink any more are Arcane Mages who just burst through all their mana, and that 3% damage buff that everyone likes to claim is required for Raiding was brought by our three Ret Pallies).

I think Blizzard's design choice was poor. It severely limited the damage capability of the Arcane spec (when was the last time you saw an Arcane Blast crit for over 100k unbuffed?) while leading multitudes to decry the spec as being too easy.

Passive damage buffs like Pallies? It may be unacceptable for an Arcane Blast to hit for 100K but apparently there's nothing wrong with six different abilities triggering 20 to 30k damage a piece for a single button press...

Fireball, Pyroblast, Deep Freeze, Frost Bolt, Frostfire Bolt, Arcane Barrage, Arcane Missiles, Ice Lance.
Edited by Sethmann on 9/12/2011 10:42 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage

PvE.

Mostly dailies and heroics, though less heroics lately. I'm rather burnt out on the Zuls, and I can't get into raids due to my work schedule, so there's little point.
# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

None that I can think of. Having to have reagents provides a little flavor to the game, like class quests used to.

Utility, and when the stars align and my procs go off like they should.

Being overly dependent on procs. Maybe it's just me, but my fire dps can swing wildly, because it's heavily reliant on crit, which is heavily reliant on RNG. I'd prefer it to be a little more stable and less dependent on crit and RNG.
# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

The rotation for fire is alright. I have buttons to press, instead of one or two.
The frost "rotation" is a bit clunky at times.

Raid viability for frost, less dependency on RNG as a whole, more portal locations (for new content), and more cannon for our glass cannon class.

Frostfire Bolt, most likely. It only gets used when Brain Freeze procs as frost, and only if Fingers of Frost is up. It's kind of disappointing after it had a whole spec around it in Wrath.
85 Blood Elf Mage

PvE

Heroic raids

Quality of life seems to be good overall, I'd still like to see some work done on terrain issues when it comes to Blink and flame orb pathing. Pressing blink and not going anywhere and having flame orb disappear because theirs a hump in the terrain is irritating.

I enjoy the class immensely just from a lore standpoint, I enjoy the control and utility the mage class can bring to a raid. I enjoy a heavy, high number nuking spellcaster class that's also fragile and needs to use wit as their best defense to stay alive. I always gravitate towards them in every game I play.

I do not enjoy being pigeon held into one viable spec for a tier, I feel this hinders raid leaders ability to formulate optimal raid compositions because one spec is currently out performing the other two.

Arcane is just fine, though I show some concern about just how much Arcane blast spamming we are going to be doing in the future when our mana pools are even larger, mana management should be an important part of arcane and it shouldn't be diminished when we progress though the tiers.

Fire is probably the most frustrating spec to play currently, we are not happy with the way Impact currently works. We want a more reliable way to spread out fire damage without praying for an impact proc at the right time. I would also like to see some control givin to a fire mage over his crits so it's more easy to use combustion when he wants to during critical parts of the encounter.

Frost is getting up there but still needs work. The aoe problem is the most blaring current issue. Did you know arcane blizzard is currently out damageing frosts blizzard by just how arcane mastery works? This should not be so, Blizzard needs a buff, it needs to be worth casting damage wise and it needs to do something meaningful in the ways of utility to justify it's atrocious mana cost and stationary position.

Another issue is the elemental pet is still useless on encounters where the boss is flying, the targeting reticule and making certain it's under a target while at the same time making sure it's not going to accidentally freeze something is very frustrating and an unnecessary hurdle. The elemental pet should be a fun assistant to the mage and his rotation, he should not cause him grief.

Some sort of combat raid utility such as a group blink or a raid wall against magic damage like paladins currently do with Aura Mastery would be super!

Out of all of them? I'd probably say Polymorph gets used the least now a days in raiding. I'd like to see some boss encounters where we get to use our superior control to benefit the raid.
Edited by Phair on 9/12/2011 3:35 PM PDT
86 Gnome Mage
-PvE, used to PvP but the only maps I enjoy are Warsong and Arathi... and I'm tired of them.

-Raids. I love to raid, I really do. I quit heroics and dailies because a) I refuse to do the same quests every day, and b) I WILL NOT be a part of 40 minute dps queues. Those things are not at all fun.

-None

-Not being able to tank or heal. Not that I want to, but if I'm gonna be forced to run heroics for valor gear to get into raids it's the only way I'm dealing with those queues.
-Doing the same damage in battlegrounds as classes that wear plate armor.
-Every class is the same as me. It was fun when we were different.

-Portals, fireballs, mobility

-Nothing. I've stuck with mage since the day of launch because it's my favorite.

-Boring but fine. Rotation being for arcane, since nothing else will get a person into raids. My guild isn't picky and would LET me play whatever spec I wanted... but we have a difficult enough time progressing these days as most of us are 30ish or older and not so hardcore anymore! Fire is fun rotation, frost is not but overall frost spec is fun.

-No more resilience
-Back to glass cannon. It was much more fun having to be awesome at survival to live and do great deeps.

-Frostfire bolt, blizzard
90 Human Mage
-What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE

-If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Purely raiding

-If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

N/A

-What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I love having portals, and blink is amazing, invisibility/iceblock are amazing!

-What makes playing your class more fun?

I LOVE mages and LOVE arcane. Have been arc since i started this toon at lvl 1 back in wotlk and the fact that we have blink. probably one of my all time favorite spells!

-What makes playing your class less fun?

nothing really, i am content with arcane as a whole and i do not like fire or frost and the RNG factors.

-How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I am fine with how arcane works and love the mana conservation/mastery aspect to the class. Only thing i would like to see if the ability to have Arcane Missile cast while moving.

-What’s on your wish list for your class?

Just moveable Missiles and possibly a more powerful interrupt. I know for raiding that i lack a solid interrupt seeing as mine is based on a 24 sec cd, while most other classes have theirs on a 10 second.

-What spells do you use the least?

None really, whilst raiding i use about 90% of my spells, sans fire blast/FFB/blizzard/flamestrike.
Edited by Castation on 9/12/2011 10:45 AM PDT
85 Troll Mage
What type of content do you focus on?
-PvE as Frost

-Raids and Random Heroics

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
-Mana costs for Frost spells in PvE causing problems with running Molten Armor 100% of the time. And my Water Elemental's assist function not behaving in a convenient manner.

-Being a competitive DPS class in all specs. Some areas need to be worked on (like Frost's AoE, Fire's single target) but overall it's a fun class to play.

-Having to swap armors mid fight after already having used Evocation just to maintain enough mana to continue DPSing. Also, while leveling a mage, conjured food being almost useless until 85 made leveling a mage not fun.

-Frost's single target rotation is the most engaging of all the specs' rotations. It seemingly requires more thought when choosing what spell to use when. I wish Frost's AoE was something more than "Spam Blizzard and use your Elemental's Freeze if they can be frozen". Blizzard doesn't do very much damage at the moment, but I don't think just increasing its base damage would help make it fun or interesting to use. But I suppose you know as well as I do that Frost has a tricky balancing act with PvP, so I'm more than understanding at the lack of immense changes that come to the spec.

-Buffed AoE damage/rotation and a reduction in mana cost for all spells of the single-target variety.

-Detect Magic :) But seriously, I feel the mage arsenal is loaded with so many useful spells that they all have a place. I wish Cone of Cold were more useful in PvE but I hate the idea of a PBAoE that isn't spammable. I often avoid using Mana Shield just because of mana issues. And I can't honestly remember the last time I've used Frost Armor, but that's probably because I rarely PvP.
85 Night Elf Mage
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Rated BGs

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Hate only having 3 charges of mana gem and having to recast it, some fights go long enough that I have to use PoM just to get more. Would be nice if it was just an ability with a cd.

Reagents seem to take up extra inventory space, would be better to not have them at all.

Having to apply a mage armor all the time, would nice if they had indefinite duration and persisted through death.

Racials - Right now as alliance only Worgen and Gnomes have solid dps racials. Draenei is alright with the 1% hit but usally not hard to reach with the current gear. With arcane the dps benefit of the gnome racial scales with gear, more mana = more regen = more dmg from mana gem, .etc. Worgen have the 1% crit which is ok for all specs. Draenei is even ok as it provides 1% hit however that is usually not a problem to reach from gear alone.

Dwarfs, Night Elves and Humans do not really have any racials that appeal to mages. It would be a benefit to be able to pick a race I want without worrying that the racials are significantly inferior to others.

■What makes playing your class more fun?
Blink, its a great spell and love using it all the time.
Portal/Teleports, love being able to get around quickly, wish we had portals.
Invisibilty/Mirror Images, threat is really never an issue.
Great defensive cooldowns. Iceblock, mage ward, ice barrier, cauterize(when fire spec) even blink/invis have helped with survival. Mage armor resistances are also very nice.

■What makes playing your class less fun?
Limited races on alliance side that have decent racials for mages.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Rotation between all specs seems ok. They are all different which gives variety to the class as a whole.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
Being able to pick any race on alliance and having some racials that would provide a dps benefit. I personally would love to be a Night Elf mage, however with no racials to provide any gain to dps I have to choose between gnome which is vastly better for arcane or worgen/draenei which provides a small benefit to all specs. A suggestion would be to give night elves 1% mastery, or 1% haste.

Invis should remove dots and allow mages to escape combat in pvp, similar to vanish.

Frost/Fire spec could come closer to the damage arcane can produce on mosy encounters. Would like to see those specs maybe favor the mastery stat a little more.

■What spells do you use the least?
Remove Curse
Frostfire bolt - I really like the idea behind this ability, would be nice if it held up better against fireball.
Blizzard
Edited by Ultima on 9/12/2011 10:52 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage

PvE.

Raiding mostly. 5-mans to gear up/when new ones are released (which is too rarely, since I do enjoy the 5-man model).

Reagents. At least the reagents that only stacks to 20. It's either a ton of bag space or visit the reagent vendor with annoying regularity.

Having a good ammount of abilities not directly related to dealing damage. Blink/slow/freezes/etc. The other classes I play feel gimped in that department and hence slightly dull. All 3 specs also have a fairly different feel.

Dunno, really. It's a pretty fun and versatile class

Fire: Feels robotic and simple. Could use some actual decision making apart from combustion every 2 minutes. Also feels too random and is deadly dull when hot streak doesn't proc for half a minute or even more. The AoE rotation could be fun but in reality is too RNG dependant.
Frost: Fun rotation, EXCEPT having to use a targeting circle in the middle of your single target rotation feels like coitus interuptus. The assist stance for the pet seems quite bad too.
Arcane: Unique and fairly fun rotation, always something left to do to get some more DPS out of it. Decision based. The problem is how, with higher mana regen, the burn phase gets too long, and you can cast too many ABs before having to think about whether to break stack or not etc. I found it more fun when I was in 350something gear than I do now. This is a problem, and it feels like next tier, the burn phase will be unbearably long, and I'll be able to cast far too many ABs before having to start thinking about breaking stacks. Could possibly use something from the tree itself that procs something that effects intellect/mana regen temporarily. Right now you could theoretically just have power torrent to react too, which would feel like a bit... too little.
The essential idea is awesome, the mastery idea is awesome. Mana scaling is leading to problems.

Frost: Pet freze being usable on a target so I can keybind it and not have to interupt the flow of the rotation to use it. Better pet AI in general.
Fire: The rotation less automatic. But fire fans seem to like it that way, and I don't like fire anyway, so who am I to complain?
Arcane: Mana scaling to be addressed; Burst phase shouldn't last beyond the duration of AP ideally andduring conserve you should be looking at breaking stacks earlier than what is starting to happen now (at least with my gear level). Mana shield being mana positive due to talents for arcane would be interesting. As long as Arcane remains mana-based and not whack-a-mole based, I am happy.

Can't think of any spell that isn't used for some spec...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]