Class Feedback – Mage

(Locked)

* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both now...

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raiding

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arena/BG's

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Having gear that supports both Arcane and Fire Mages equally, along with having more Fire Spec based encounters would be nice, and improving the Arcane Spec as a whole would be good.

* What makes playing your class more fun?
Honestly, right now there isn't much. Playing Fire Spec is a total blast, but I never get to do it, because only Alysrazor allows Fire Mages to out DPS Arcane Mages. Other than Frost being awesome in PvP (Man I love kiting melee DPS... they are so OP when they get the first hit, but when we do... so much fun, super balanced Blizz thanks :) )

* What makes playing your class less fun?
Arcane Spec as a whole. Having two sets of gear for two specs, one of which has a use in exactly one encounter in the Firelands Content

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

For Fire the rotation is fine.. it's a little tedious at times, but the fact that I don't get to raid with it is the cause. No raiding = no practice. As for Arcane, the rotation is terrible. I understand it is about mana conservation, hoewver there has to be something we can do besides worry about Arcane Blast Spam. To be honest, its one of the most boring classes to play right now, in that spec, and the comments and jokes are old. "Oh man, out DPS'ed the two button rotation!" Well... Allow us some play. Moving Arcane Missiles to proc based was a terrible idea. Maybe move Barrage to proc based instead? Someway we can utilize our spells in a different way... give us a Debuff or something we have to keep up on the bosses! Interaction other than one spell x4 then Missiles, one spell x4 then missiles...

* What’s on your wish list for your class?

Raiding as Fire Spec again, and not having the spec be purely based on gear in order to be successful. When you do get to play Fire Mage, the gear is so vastly different from Arcane that you have to have entirely new gear almost to even be successful. In ten man raids, that's almost as unlikely to happen as a Shaman topping the healing charts on the world first Rag Kill. It's not going to happen! There is that chance that you only have one caster or maybe even two, but after that you are arguing off specs with people who just call you greedy. This is a common theme I've seen not just among raids with my mage, but in other raids I'm a part of on other toons. It's just too bad that our top DPS spec is two buttons, and our more interesting, intricate spec is based on entirely different gear and stats...

* What spells do you use the least?

Fire Spells/Arcane Barrage/Blizzard
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

- PvE only.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

- ZA/ZG (but I'm so tired of those), Normal Firelands

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

- NA

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

- I'd love for armors to be more like auras
- I think I echo other people when I say no more reagents and lower CD on our tables. Most other classes are without reagents now and it seems we are just sort of leftover.

What makes playing your class more fun?

- I really like the idea behind mages as well as the lore. I love the versatility that we bring to everything from ports to food to our dps.
- I think mages have great specs as well.

What makes playing your class less fun?

- For my spec (arcane) I don't like that I can't use my own AoE without having to get right up against mobs. Even then you'd have to single target one mob to build up your stacks just to hit your AoE once. Just make it movable like Blizzard. Or make it have an influence of the fire orb, like the frostfire version. Maybe it has a bigger influence than the other two because Arcane Explosion is so weak. It could pulse out explosions as it sails away.

- Although you said not to talk about making things equal, I don't think that we can ignore the fact that frost is not very raid viable and arcane is a little too viable for raid. Your philosophy was bring the player not the class and that people should be able to play whatever spec they want. Unfortunately, with a spec that cannot compete numbers-wise unless you have the perfect conditions, you violate your philosophy. I like frost - I like it's rotation, I like that it has a pet, I like the visual look to it. I want to play it, but we can't down dps race bosses if I switch.

- I've tried out fire and I think the concept behind it is good. But I don't like having to manage crits and procs. It's especially rough when you have lag and intense encounter mechanics that involve a lot of switching. It makes the munching factor even worse. They need to be simplified a bit to just work off procs.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

- I like arcane's rotation, but again we don't use one of our main spells very often. I'm looking at you Arcane Barrage. I know most people miss the boat and think there's no rotation when arcane is really about CD management. Yet our rotation could still use a bit more flexibility.

- For arcane, trinks can have a seemingly overly-large influence. It would be nice if that gets taken into consideration more in the future.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

- (low priority) Armors become more like auras
- (low priority) No reagents
- (low priority) I think we need some more portals added in. On my alts I love the availability of the ones in Org, but I don't really notice the benefit of being able to make them on my mage anymore.
- (high priority) Balancing the specs more to make the all viable, not necessarily equal, but viable in raids
- (high priority) Arcane needs more flexibility in the rotation
- (just for kicks) For fun, I'd love to see an elemental pet for each spec, water, fire and arcane. Maybe they would each play slightly differently. Or even just a lesser glyph that turns your images into small arcane elementals like the one you get from the books in Dalaran. I just think it would be a neat idea for the class.

What spells do you use the least?

- Anything fire-related due to my spec. But definitely Arcane Explosion.

PvE

Heroics and T11 raids. I'm not quite geared enough for Firelands yet.

I don't PvP much except for some random messing around in Arathi Basin.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

1. Timers on Armor spells.
2. The bug currently affecting Ritual of Refreshment that causes tables to fail to appear, yet still trigger the mage's 5-minute cooldown.
3. Occasional Blink failures, especially on stairs. The Atramedes fight stairs are especially notorious for this.

Being a support-ish DPS, not necessarily top of the pack, but doing other things to support your raid. Things like making food, making other casters stronger with the 5% crit buff, being survivable, dealing with bad boss abilities with Counterspell and Spellsteal.

Mage-tanking in the High King Maulgar fight was the most fun thing ever. :)

1. Two-button rotation on Arcane is not very fun at all. I'd rather do a complicated rotation than a super-simple one, it just feels like I'm putting more effort into the damage I'm doing.

2. Fire is extremely RNG and gear dependent. The crit rating scale-back between Wrath and Cataclysm severely affected this, and made Fire mages less powerful at the beginning of an expansion and very powerful at the end of an expansion because ratings are allowed to be higher in the last raid of an expansion. This could be fixed with a number of things, possibly fixing Fire's mastery not to be heavily dependent on crit.

3. Frost's strength in PvE is being held back by PvP balance issues. This could be fixed by going the Colossus Smash route and making some of Frost's spells do different things in PvE. Make Ice Lance hit harder against root-freeze immune mobs? Make Deep Freeze auto-crit? Have Deep Freeze lower its cooldown if it damages someone?

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

1. Arcane's is very simple and effective, but I don't enjoy playing it because it's just sitting there and pressing one button on my mouse, along with an occasional Evocate and/or cooldown pop.

2. Fire's is great, you have to respond to procs and time your cooldowns appropriately to do big damage.

3. Frost's is also in good shape, and deep freeze crits are awesome.

1. Some new cool mechanics for Arcane DPS. Maybe short cooldown (Empower Spell) that makes one of our other spells (Fireball, Frostbolt) stronger, with appropriate cool silver graphics on it.

2. Conjured Mana Eclairs (it's worth the try.)

Mana Shield. Slow-fall. Ring of Frost.
What type of content do you focus on? PVE some PVP

If PvE, what type of PvE? Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? BG's, arena

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? reagents for portals

What makes playing your class more fun? Since Cata? Not much

What makes playing your class less fun? ALL the changes to frost since Cata

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are
used to maximum efficiency.)
i like it

What’s on your wish list for your class? Bring back the old 71 talent point system, Im not an arcane mage, i didnt like fire, I love frost and i love raiding, Frostfire spec (0/51/20) was great for the people that loved to raid and use frost spec. Mastery is pointless.. more damage. more portals

What spells do you use the least? I use them all from my spec about the same
85 Goblin Mage
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] - PvE mainly

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] - Almost only log on for raids.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. - Can't think of any...sorry

What makes playing your class more fun? - Big Crits

What makes playing your class less fun? - Dps loss on movement, lack of useful multi-targeting dps

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) - Too easy. I love the spec, but would like it if there were more to it.

What’s on your wish list for your class? - A pet of some kind, even if its a short pet like shadowfiend (Fire mages get a 30 second phoenix?)

What spells do you use the least? - Arcane Barrage, it is only useful when moving.
85 Human Mage
Both

25 Man Heroic Raids

All of the above

The only thing I can possibly complain about with regard to this is if I take a portal to a city before the rest of my group does, they cannot follow after me. I think the request to nuke reagents is silly as it is a simple way to show some preparedness for your class. Please keep reagents.

Having diverse roles and tools and the ability to fill different situations as ranged dps.

Ring of Frost and Spellsteal being virtually useless in PVE. Crowd control sluggish and too easily countered in PVP. Having very low burst AoE compared to other AoE damage dealing classes.

I enjoy the rotation of all 3 specs. I would like it better if there were combat log entries for each stack of the Arcane Blast debuff with regard to Arcane Blast.

Better on demand burst AoE. Arcane Explosion refreshing Arcane Blast stacks would be kind of nice.

Spellsteal, Slow, and Flame Strike
Edited by Valkyrion on 9/12/2011 11:00 AM PDT
PVE.

Raids.

None.

I'm in arcane spec atm. And it would be better if you can make us invulnerable while we cast evocation. Cause there is some situation when we start casting evocation and we have to move because some random stuff is coming at us.

As arcane mage, our dps depends a lot on our mana pool. And it would be better if some of the procs that gives INT didn't increase our maximum mana. Cause it would messed up our rotation and bonus from mastery.

I feel content with it. I don't mind spamming 1 button during burn phase, because the key of playing arcane mage is during conserve mana phase.

I wish Blizzard would stop balancing all spec. Why not just make arcane is good for single target fight. Fire is good for aoe fight. And frost is good for PVP. So player need to adjust their talent depends on the fight, not on their preference.

As an arcane mage, i rarely use any fire and frost spells. Well it's obvious right? I'm an arcane mage, why would i want to use fire or frost spell?
100 Human Mage

■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

I focus more on PvE, but i do some PvP for the fun of it.

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids, and a few heroics from time to time.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Low rated arena's, low rated BGs and random BGs.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Nothing real major, if anything *maybe* just regents for teleport.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

Large burst, our large amount of control in most situations, Blink, free food, and Portals/Teleports.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

I personally can't think of a single thing.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

In heroics, i think arcane is very very easy, but in a raid setting, i have no problem with any rotation. They all are fun in their own ways, regardless of what people say.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

Hard one for me. I think mages sit pretty well in most areas, and don't have very many problems.

■What spells do you use the least?

Blizzard, and i don't honestly think its that bad of a thing that i dont. A long channel like that just doesn't appeal to me.
71 Night Elf Mage
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] Both
If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Dungeons
If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] BG's
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Make mana gems not have charges. They are an item we create that stays in out inventory till log out.
What makes playing your class more fun? Being able to kite people and have 3 snares and slow effects that auto apply is cool.

What makes playing your class less fun? Feeling forced into one spec for Dps.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Arcane rotation is a bit boring. Frost isn't effective dps, but is also boring if you try it. Fire is super fun but very proc reliant so it spikes. Could just be me though.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Would like the class to be challenging like it was in BC and vanilla. Right now mage feel very ezmode and face rolly. Making mana conservation more an issue, or making it so that we have to plan out our snares would be nice. As it is I can kite things as frost will little effort on my part versus previously.

What spells do you use the least? I use most of them depending on the spec. the fire orb is pretty meh for Arcane though.
85 Draenei Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: heroics and questing

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]: arenas

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.: Wish i could use frost in pve you guys had it in the very beginning of cata but we were to powerful in pvp so it was abandoned

What makes playing your class more fun?: slows and the spell variety like portals, and time warp, invisibility, etc.

again no frost pve

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.): arcane should be more complicated frost should be less about snares and more about slows

What’s on your wish list for your class?: frost pve, new gimmicky spells would be cool like a flight spell were u grow wings etc.

also sorry to ask this but please give undead a pve racial

What spells do you use the least?: the teleport to stonard also mage ward
Edited by Seoshi on 9/12/2011 12:29 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
What type of content do you focus on? PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics/Raids

Given the high level of damage and the relatively low health pool of mages as it relates to some of the new content I would love to see spells like dampen and amplify magic returned to the game. As a poorly thought out example, amplify magic could increase damage output while also increasing the damage taken and the opposite could be true of dampen.

Also I wish there was some use for Focus Magic while playing by yourself. I don't mean that it should be capable of self casting the current buff, but maybe when a mage used focus magic on themselves instead of a grouped target it could grant a 2% increase to casting speed or something of that nature.

I have been playing my mage for years and have found it to be the class I enjoy the most. I love the versatility when it comes to survivability and movement. If anything I would love to see further "fleshing out" of mirror images. Wouldn't if be great if they had a pet bar for their duration and I could chose to assign them to an alternate target, or ask them to use spells like slow, sheep, and frost nova?

FLAME / FROSTFIRE ORB. This is the real reason that I am posting here, although I understand why input is important. I HATE the inconsistency involved with this spell. Given the high degree of movement involved in the current content, I find that at least once during a fight my flame orb will float out into a random location and vanish. I understand that in order for it to cast properly I need to be facing the target, but sometimes even being a quarter turn in the wrong direction will result in a wasted orb and gcd. It can be really frustrating. Would it be possible for this spell to be altered to be similar to mirrors, which will damage your target regardless of the direction you are facing when they are cast?

I think the mage "rotations" are in large part very good. I think the fire and frost trees are extremely fun to play given the variety of play-styles that can be used. There are always choices to be made while playing as frost and fire as to what abilities you should use in any given situation. And then there is arcane. There are really only 3 viable abilities, and the interplay between them is very uncomplicated. Unfortunately, without drastic changes to the build and spells (which I don't believe are necessary), Arcane has a sort of "it is what it is" feel.

I think I covered a lot of this but:
1. Change flame / frostfire orb so that it will still function properly regardless of the direction a player is facing.
2. Give focus magic some use while player is by them self.

I actually think the spell book for mages, unlike some other classes, is really well done. If anything belongs here it is probably Presence of Mind. I just wish it did something else, although I'm not sure what.
Edited by Frostitewt on 9/12/2011 11:07 AM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

Both pvp and pve. Mainly pve

Heroic Raids

Arena's

Interest in my classes rotation, namely issues with ignite munching. Rotations like arcane being to simple.

Frost nova

Arcane, ignite munching

Currently a lot of aspects of mages are broken. Here is just some musing I had on how to fix them. This thread will only deal with pve. I don't carry a massive interest in pvp, but the change I suggest will be made so that there isn't a massive issue with pvp.

Frost:
Most Mages love this spec. We level in it, we solo in it, we pvpwn in it. But in pve frost is very lack luster. The issue with frost is gear scaling. It namely rotates around the talent shatter. This is as core to frost as frostbolt. See shatter causes Frost mages to reach a 'crit cap' very quickly. After this we are left with haste and mastery (I'm not discussing hit, spell power or int as those are more primary stats) as useful state. Haste is right out. It only buffs one spell in the frost rotation, our filler. Mastery, while providing a simple way to buff frost's damage would cause EXTREME pvp issues.

My solution hinges on the nature of frost's dps. See frost is a very burst spec. When you have cooldowns up you do amazing dps, but when you don't. Your dps sucks. So you either allow for haste to affect to affect the cooldown on frost fire orb. While not the largest single target increase it causes frost to not completely fall behind other specs in terms of gear scaling right at the start of an expansion.

Honestly frost needs a lot of work. Shatter, while being core to our dps is the main issue. After a single tier of gear frost mages now just have to maintain a crit and hit cap. And they choice between two VERY medicore stats. This leads to gear scaling issues. And upgrade for fire will make better use of each point of stat with frost can't.

Arcane:
Suffers from the opposite of problem of frost. Arcane simply scales so well (primarily due to its int+mastery synergy). While a spec like fire or frost will gain 2 or 3 dps per point of intellect, arcane gains 4 or 5. This means that without taking secondary stats into consideration arcane is going to get more out of a single piece of loot.

Mana Adept is the issue here. Mana pools get larger so arcane mages can chain more arcane blasts that do more damage because we have a larger mana pool cause by use having more intellect. I really do like the style of play the Game Design Team made here. There is a level of thinking about what you cast.

There really is no short term solution. You can't just nerf one talent (primarily because there is no synergy in arcane's talent tree just 9 or 10 random buffs). Arcane is a spec with no quality of life. We have two buttons and make some interesting decisions based on those two buttons but the spec IS AND HAS BEEN BORING. Arcane needs a major revamp to allow it to be entertaining to play. It has needed this revamp since WoWLK. Give us something to do other then play with our mana percentage. Okay, here's and idea Arcane Blast drains our mana and buffs our damage, Arcane Barrage is now a cast that increases our mana and decreases our damage. AM is used with Barrage to take advantage of our mastery, and Arcane Destruction lets call it does more damage the less mana we have (and is affect by our Arcane Blast stack).

Continued on post #116
Edited by Valarauca on 9/12/2011 11:13 AM PDT
85 Undead Mage
PvP
dungeons but not very often because they are boring
BG's and soon arenas
I don't like having to buy regeants for teleporting and portals.
I love the utility of being a frost mage. Frost mages are so useful in battlegrounds. I feel like I can go and do any objective in the battlegrounds without being reliant on other players.
I really think that the order in which mages get spells isn't good. We don't get arcane intellect until 58? No shields until level 40-60. No shields in PvP means I have the lowest healthpool and the lowest armor with no defense other than frost nova and cone of cold to snare the opponents. Basically at low levels in Battlegrounds I am fodder until I get some shields.
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) The rotation is fine to me.
I wish I had shields at lower levels so that I can be viable in PvP at any level.
Fireblast. As a frost mage icelance is better.
85 Draenei Mage
Continued from: Post number 114

Fire:
Fire is a fun spec. It allows mages to embrace our inner warlock and play around with DoT's and Direct Damage without worrying to much about mana, and just wrecklessly light the world on fire. But it still has problems. Fire gains to much dps from secondary stats (namely crit and haste).

I like fire. Its a very fun spec in its current form. It is normally very close to if not the highest dps spec. The only problem is it is really boring. Here is the rotation:
LB > Pryo (proc) > FB spam
I would really like to see some complexity added to it. Namely in the DoT department. Which if you switch to a more Affliction type model for fire then you can increase DoT coefficients without worrying about direct damage becoming to high. Therefore removing the dependence on secondary stats. Also this causes little issue in pvp as DoT's can be dispelled.

-No more FFB vs. FB debate. Don't give us two main nukes. One will always be better. All it does is create the illusion of choice and leads to a hidden pitfall that the game design council said it wanted to remove.

-Use FFB: I like the FFB DoT. I would really like to see it worked into part of Fire's DPS rotation. Even if we only cast it to keep it up the FFB DoT. Have pryoblast/Pryoblast! refresh it even for quality of life.

-5% crit debuff. I didn't mind when I had to scorch every 16 or so seconds to keep this buff up. Why don't you have it just re-apply on the critical strike from any spell, but the only 100% chance re-apply is scorch? It allows our rotation to get simpler in some aspects as we get more powerful i.e. start casting faster and getting more hot streaks.

-Dragon's Breath DoT: Just and Idea. I could see this having issues in PvP as if it hit both players in 2's it would be unavoidable damage.

In all honestly fire sucks for pvp. Making it more DoT centric wouldn't help to much as your DoT's could just be cleansed off.

See above

Frost Fire Bolt

Thank you for your time. And thank you for producing quality games. And the excellent job with game balance. I'm not being sarcastic. Your dev's do work hard on these issues, and I'm humbled to give my advice. Good luck.
Edited by Valarauca on 9/12/2011 11:16 AM PDT
90 Troll Mage
I focus mainly on PvE I did however dabble in PvP reaching nearly 2k in RBGs one week.

I focus on Hard Mode Raiding. (currently doing main raids on my alt Spriest to farm legendary on the side)

Rated BGs, BGs (casually)

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
For one thing is the reagent issue. There are no other classes that must still visit the reagent vendor, they have glyphs (we do have one glyph so thank you blizz for that). Make all three use the arcane powder or w/e it is. This would allow us to still have a reagent and it not feel like such a burden with the high stacks of the Arcane stuff.

Also make armors permanent buffs.

Playing my class is fun because of big crits. I fell in love with this class back when PoM Pyro was perhaps the single most exciting thing I had ever done.

I feel like mages are constrained to much. While adding "synergy" and "flavor" and "viability" to hybrid classes I feel like blizzard really boned the Pures. For the most part the Pures got very underwhelming abilities. I mean mages specifically got a lust which I'm sure any 25man raiding mage hates (make those shamans do it) and a flame orb which really turned out to be the lamest thing ever unless you are frost. I guess to put it in other words when Blizzard tried hard to make hybrids fun and competitive they really made it pointless to play a pure beyond love of your class.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?

Fire: Fire's rotation is very simple and straightforward. I enjoy how every class re-applies every DoT before it wears off except fire mages to the best of my knowledge. The explosion are kind of fun and would hate to not get them.

Frost: Honestly a very fun and must react fast spec. I love the simplicity of it but how engaging it can be. It is a lot like what fire used to be in Wrath in my opinion, before Hot Streak stopped proccing all the time and fire became a sometimes boring fireball spam thanks to RNG.

Arcane: I really despise what Blizzard did to this spec. For one thing when you nerfed the Arcane Blast mana cost you in my opinion really made our CDs and timing them properly clunky, very clunky. Also the fact that the only spell we care about being Arcane blast plain sucks. Why does Arcane missiles hit so underwhelming. I sincerely wish you would change it back to how it was pre 4.1 and just buff the crap out of arcane missiles.

Re-nameable Water Elemental or at least SOME name even if it is pre-determined and constant like a Warlocks.

More use of the water elemental. Give it some more flavor. Very annoying to have a pet I just tell to attack the boss and hit my freeze keybind macro every 30 seconds for Deep Freeze.

Make Blizzard a viable/useful AE again. Frost is extremely competitive regardless of what people say and lacks the amazing AE you gave arcane for it to be useful 80% of the time.

Fix arcane somehow, someway.

Fire Mastery: Make it make pyroblast hit harder, screw DoTs just make pyroblast hit harder please? Maybe make it give fire higher crit damage modifiers? That'd be cool, then our ignites would still hit harder to. in fact that would be amazing since the spec is all about crits.

Frost Mastery: No clue how to fix it but, its pretty lame, but I have no suggestions on how to fix it.

Deep Freeze: Make its Cooldown 15 seconds when it is immuned (slight pvp buff I believe)

Blizzard.
Edited by Triggirhapee on 9/12/2011 11:08 AM PDT
100 Human Mage

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• PvE, Raiding

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• Cooldown Managment for Frost playstyle, focusing on the perfect combustion setup for Fire

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• It would be nice to have a mage spec that had a higher skill cap/dps relationship that could overshadow the simpler rotation of Arcane. Frost is an excellent candidate for that, due to the insane single target rotation the spec has, but arcane simply beats it in most situations. I realize that there are pvp implications for buffing frost damage, but many of those are tied into Deep Freeze, as it is an amazing CD that easily kills in PvP. Perhaps a talent (or mastery, so it would influence pvp damage) that would increase the percentage chance of Deep Freeze to reset while on CD. Could also amplify it's damage as well through mastery. By putting the reset chance on mastery, it pushes other dps stats like crit and haste down, so it would reduce pvp damage in order to get a more consistent freeze.

Fire has one of the most refreshing AoE abilities, but it takes _so_ long to get it set up, and for max damage, combustion has to be used. So much of the good damage from Fire comes from a good combustion setup, that it literally makes or breaks the spec. Either give them more combustions, or combustion like mechanics to work with DoTs. It may improve overall damage from the spec, and give them another spell to add into their rotation. Cast a spell that mashes their DoTs together and extends them. 1.5 second cast, 10 second CD, 8 second duration. Can be called 'Backdraft' or something. The goal is to make fire damage a tad more consistent by improving ongoing damage. May be played with to slowly increase ongoing damage if continually refreshed, so maybe a 10 second CD, 15 second duration, rolls all dots on target together, but reduces damage by 60%. That way, it's a slow build, but the longer a target stays up, the nastier it gets. Drop it, all the work is gone. Could also just roll together remaining damage, so that it doesn't get too powerful by stacking dots together. Ignite like mechanic over a longer term.

Arcane needs more complexity. Arcane Blast spam should literally vaporize arcane's mana pool if it's so strong and gives them a damage lead. The current situation of spamming it till you're about halfway is just making it annoying for the other two specs. I like the Mastery for Arcane, as it pushes more a sense of 'Manage Mana' then it does for other specs, but an ongoing problem with that is that as gear levels grow, it becomes nearly impossible to use up all your mana at all. WotLK, nearly zero classes had mana issues. When that becomes the case, a spec that relies on as much mana as possible will consistently win. Either all mage specs need to have that, or none of them do. Maybe turn the mastery into "Increases damage by X% in relation to mana, but also increases Mana costs by X%". Boosted damage as gear improves, but also increases mana costs to compensate. Arcane mages should always be worring about their mana pools.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• Fire needs more consistency. Total reliance on instant pyroblast! procs makes for a very RNG class. It's fun to throw those large pyroblasts, but when the crits don't come, fire mages look pretty pathetic.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• More consistency for Fire, more variety for arcane, and AoE variation for Frost. Blizzard, while strong, reminds me of having to channel Earthquake as an ele shaman. Yawn. More intermingling of spell schools would be cool, to create an dichotomy between frost and fire. Chill, and then burn for extra damage, or vunerablilty. Burn, then freeze for debuff. Arcane field, then a fire or frost spell for instant AoE in that spell school. I'd love to see an endcap spell that improved AoE variety for all three specs, probably based in Arcane. Maybe a fire or firefrost sphere we can intentionally detonate for extra effect. Or make arcane explosion centered around the sphere instead, giving arcane mages a ranged AoE.

• What spells do you use the least?

• I don't play Arcane. As fire, I hardly touch dragon's breath. The other AoE options are vastly superior, including spamming flamestrike. It's a last second escape spell. As frost, I use just about everything. I have to in order to keep up.
100 Human Mage

PvE
Heroics and lots of solo work
none
The CD on our table, I don't mind the reagent but the long CD is a pain at times.
The huge damage we do, I like to see the big numbers because of the Arcane Blast debuff
the monotone feel of Arcane spec. Also the inability to move as arcane. If you move, you have to restart your entire burn/rest phase
How do you feel about your “rotation”?
It's boring, drab, monotonous, colorless. Arcane really just does it's burn phase and then goes back to repeating arcane blast and missiles to remove CD
New damage spell. Maybe something with a lower cast, lower damage. Maybe somethign we can cast and move with. Also Spellsteal's 2 minute time limit is fairly low, maybe if we had more chances to use it, it would be better, but only two minutes when we only get to use it one a full moon...
anything outside my spec. presence of mind is fairly low on the list also.
86 Undead Mage
What type of content do you focus on?
PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Raids primarily, heroics with friends/alts.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
I realize above I stated a focus on PvE, but this seems the place to comment on PvP. Mage PvP is a blast, as with all content and classes not all specs are created equal. I do recognize that great strides have been taken over the life of the game to change this and bring the bar to a more equal level. This is far from the optimal location for this specific piece of feedback, but it is somewhat class relevant so here goes: PvP gear has come a long way, and its important to be competitive, however, I find as a Mage especially that lacking the gear is a much greater hindrance than for some other classes (my Warrior or Paladin for example can survive and compete in PvP without the same benchmark levels of PvP gear). If you don't get a start early on getting PvP gear as a mage, the battle to catch up to the curve is time consuming. I simply don't have the time for both PvP and PvE "grinding" for lack of a better term coming to me. In short, flatten the curve a little.

Reagents for Teleport/Portal/Ritual of Refreshment are really unnecessary these days.
There is no mana cost anymore, so why not have the three armor spells on a "stance" bar.
For raiding, as fire specifically, and I suppose to a certain extent in Heroics, etc., have mobs that are immune to disorient be slowed by Dragon's breath perhaps, keep it a relevant CC spell. Similar issue with frost spells that freeze and mobs being immune. I realize that there are some times when adds, etc need to be completely immune to CC, but when you are in a fight where the bad things need to be controlled, have buttons work, rather than first attempts being a crapshoot of trying to find out which buttons will work, and which buttons are useless.

I love the way the specs have evolved over the years. The control, the flexibility, and the mobility of a Mage has improved the fun factor immensely. There are a lot of buttons, admittedly too many buttons for a lot of new mages I have spoken too. But, each spec has its sub-set of abilities to use, and mastering the use of the full (VERY FULL) toolbox is part of what makes Mage such a great class to play.

Having our skills stolen by other classes! I'M LOOKING AT YOU WARLOCKS!
Seriously though, the mastery bonuses on all three specs need a little love long-term, for very different reasons for each spec. Most of those reasons have been touched on by previous posters, but in short, Arcane is clunky, Fire + Munching = poor mastery bonus, and the reliability of Frost to have frozen bosses is shaky.

Also, the gear curve for fire makes it harder to work with at lower gear levels.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?[b]
The priority systems of all three specs have come a long way from frostbolt spam back in Molten Core. Arcane is less about priority of rotation, and more about management of cooldowns and mana. The biggest thing to change there is more options for mobility, or rather better options, as Arcane Barrage is lackluster in that regard.

[b]What’s on your wish list for your class?

As above, "Stance" Bar for armor spells, removal of reagents. Additionally, and I realize the technical issues here, but something to fix the issues Fire has with Munching. A fix there would solve some of the consistency issues (I think).

Honestly, between all three specs I tend to use the whole suite of spells. I don't use Frost outside of PvP though so probably Blizzard.

In Summation: On behalf of my fellow Mage players, I would like to thank you for all the hard work over the years, especially recently. If anyone not from Blizzard who reads this doesn't agree/want to be lumped in that thank you, tough.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]