Best BG PVP Tank

90 Blood Elf Rogue
I tried a lvl 11 prot warrior and was not very impressed. I don't have a healer to follow me around, so I'm thinking prot pally or blood dk might be a better option.

Which tank spec has the most survivability in bgs without guaranteed heals? I'd also want to stay tank spec at 85, so keep that in mind.

Prot pally has word of glort, laying of hands, and off heals. Warrior has bandades and potions. Should I make the switch for my purpose? Or will prot warrior get better relative to the op classes e.g. rogue, hunter, mage, priest?

I have never tanked before, but I totally want something that will live forever. Maybe I should just make a holy pally and have the ultimate survivability :( and 2 keybinds.

That is to say, which is least painful in battlegrounds and general pvp? Thanks for any input.
Reply Quote
Blood DKs are the hardest to take down from a melee perspective. But if you can kite them they die quickly.

Prot paladins aren't really an issue IMO. Sure they have lay on hands but once that's gone they aren't much to worry about in a BG setting.

Prot warriors have a ton of tools at their disposal, with high mobility, intervene removing slows/roots, spell reflect, stuns, gag order, etc... IMO they're still the best tank to take into a pvp setting. If you don't have a healer you're going down, regardless of what tank you bring.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
I agree with Khurgen, and would also add i found myself to be paper thin until i replaced tanking gear with PVP gear. now i can cause 2-3 dps to waste up to a full minute chasing me down to kill me in a BG setting.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
09/07/2011 09:14 AMPosted by Fugaz
I tried a lvl 11 prot warrior and was not very impressed.

Low level PvP means nothing. You have no actually useful abilities.

In RBGs, I must say prot warriors are best. They're the most maneuverable by a long shot, as well as having a ton of CDs.

But, if it's not serious RBGs you're planning on doing, just play whatever you like best.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
if you don't have a healer, you're not going to be doing much as a tank. Warriors can harass casters and DKs can troll melee. that's about it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
level 11 is a bad metric for a character's usefulness.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
No mention of Druids? Like, you know, the only "tank" spec that can switch around and do some decent DPS on a whim? THAT one?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Prot paladins aren't really an issue IMO. Sure they have lay on hands but once that's gone they aren't much to worry about in a BG setting.

Yeah, except for all of the shields, WoG and other healing spells we have. If a prot pally is only relying on lay on hands, they're not a very good prot pally.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
in prot gear your heals arent going to help you live any longer. your shields are tough, but also have cooldowns.
its nowhere near as bad as a blood tank that is self healing for a ton and then adding a bubble on top of that, then saccing his ghoul, etc.

but, if you are fresh, have all three of your cooldowns and bubble, yea, it can be a pain.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Prot paladins are pretty significantly worse than other tanks at flag carrying/RBGs. Lack of personal mobility is absolutely killer (and I say this as someone who rbgs as prot).
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 05:27 AMPosted by Dolona

Yeah, except for all of the shields, WoG and other healing spells we have. If a prot pally is only relying on lay on hands, they're not a very good prot pally.

A prot paladin is not a concern in a BG.
Edited by Khurgen on 9/8/2011 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Tauren Druid
By "wanting a pvp tank," I think you mean, "someone that hardly ever dies."

If that's the case roll a healer. It'll take at least four to bring you down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why no love for druids :(?

Since when could warriors and DK's shift into travel form and run 40% faster?
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Warrior
I like how she said she tried it at lv11...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The most annoying (from an opponent's standpoint) are well played Feral Druids
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I'd love to see a more in-depth analysis of the differences between Prot Warriors and Blood DKs.
Especially with the buffs for Blood in 4.3, the difference in an RBG setting is going to be marginal.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Sub level 55 your best "tank" in a BG is a Hunter pet.

Sub 55 it's srsly hunter, druid, rogue, mage, or welcome to repeat dirt sandwiches.

At end game PVP you have to remember that other ppl actually heal. That said warriors bring alot of versatility, so they're usually the only "tank" specs you'll see running around.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]