The jig has been up for a while now.

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Rogue
Any of you who have read my posts regarding the Wolfheart spoilers know that I am not the happiest person about this. Yes, the Alliance get development, yes, the Alliance get a victory, but it comes, once again, at the expense of the Night Elves.

Eight magnataur are all it takes apparently to tip the scales against this supposedly powerful race of warriors, who long ago dismantled the powerful troll empires, and routed the Burning Legion. Yes, Grom called us perfect warriors, Orc NPCs supposedly admire our prowess, but let's be honest here, the jig has been up for a while now.

Night Elves never win, always need help with any sort of enemy, and break into emotional wrecks at the drop of a hat. The only thing that a Night Elf seems to be able to contribute in any narrative is dying, crying, or acting stupid. These are the people who routed the Burning Legion? Apparently so.

My request in regards to future lore is this: First, stop giving us new lore. Hank Paulson had the magical ability to make the DoW lose 300 points every time he opened his mouth, and the same effect seems to happen to the Night Elves every time someone tries to give them lore. Please, Blizzard, do not try to correct previous mistakes. You have done quite enough already.

Second, if you are going to have another conflict involving Night Elves, stop calling the Night Elves powerful. In fact, I would recommend that you get fast and furious with the retcons. The plot device is no longer believable, it hasn't been for years. If you're going to make the Night Elves lose every consequential engagement they find themselves in, then let that reflect itself in the narrative. Be honest with the player base, and stop pushing this nonsense.
71 Goblin Hunter
They dying I can get, but don't cry about acting stupid when the Horde has had the villain/stupid ball since Vanilla.

I'll admit I'm not sure what ought to be done with the Night Elf narrative though.

What I -want- is for them to be the opposing powerbase to the Eastern Kingdoms Alliance, but that'll never happen.
85 Night Elf Rogue
They dying I can get, but don't cry about acting stupid when the Horde has had the villain/stupid ball since Vanilla.

While it is true that the Horde has been handed the villain/stupid ball, Leyara singlehandedly did the same to the player faction. You can't take a poster child for the defense of Ashenvale, make her evil, and not have ramifications for the argument. With one character, Blizzard implicitly paints the player faction as evil, we've been handed that ball as well.

What I -want- is for them to be the opposing powerbase to the Eastern Kingdoms Alliance, but that'll never happen.

No, this is exactly the problem. We're presented as the opposing powerbase and then roflstomped to show how powerful the other side is. The end result is that the Night Elves become completely pathetic. We need to move away from the idea that more lore is good, and that the Night Elves should be presented as anything different than what the battle record shows.
Edited by Kyalin on 9/10/2011 10:35 AM PDT
88 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm not sure how the Night Elves can even exist at the rate they are losing people (elves).

And it looks like the females are taking the brunt of the losses. How can their society continue with that rate of attrition?

AND it looks like they are all getting old at the same time!!

I really, really, don't like what they are doing to the Night Elves.

At all.
90 Human Death Knight
While I really dislike the direction Night Elves have taken, I would say that it's pretty realistic for the Night Elves to seek outside help given all of the really horrible crap they've been through. They lost their immortality, they have two apathetic leaders who are slow to act on anything, they had a massive dragon wreck their zones, they've lost tremendous amounts of lives both to the Horde and the Twilight's Hammer, and it feels as if they're starting to grow unhinged in terms of politics. (Tyrande relegating to Varian more when it comes to matters against the Horde)

While at a glance this does seem terrible, however the Night Elves have made some gains in that they now have a great ally in the Worgen. Consider Ashenvale as a sort of repayment for such kindness that was offered in Gilneas. I am still of the mind that Night Elves and Worgen would make the best of buds, each one showing their usefulness to the other.

And honestly? Varian has proven that he is beginning to be far more promising than Tyrande, mostly because he HAS made attempts at ending the Ashenvale war by opening trade with Thrall during that one peace summit. Sure he's a human, but he's a human with an edge in my mind, he has a deep sense of care for others and he just might bring Night Elves back to their warrior edge.

At the end of the day, this sounds more like growing pains. It hurts, but hopefully more positive growth will come from this.
100 Troll Shaman
I really don't get this "Night Elves aren't really as powerful as they're cracked up to be" spiel.

From this book alone we have; Two Night Elf warriors taking out a Goblin combat shredder after the Goblin successfully ambushed them, a no-name sentinel taking out half a squad of Kor'kron accompanied by Garrosh after having been ambushed and knocked out of the sky, injured riders on injured hippogryphs taking out an average of two Orcs on proto dragons each before dying after the Night Elves were ambushed, a handful of priestesses blinding an entire army and their magical support with virtually no effort whatsoever.

Not being able to roflstomp eight nigh indestructible war machines that make Worgen look like ants and can casually throw boulders several times the height of a full grown Elf in diametre hardly makes the Night Elves pansies.
90 Human Death Knight
And since when has getting help from allies been a bad thing? Orc pirates help the Forsaken out in Silverpine, and that doesn't make them weak at all. Allies help each other, and the Worgen all but owe it to the Night Elves for their major assistance in Gilneas.

Because honestly? I think the Gilneans wouldn't have existed if it weren't for the kindness of the Night Elves.
85 Night Elf Rogue
09/10/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Dreadlocked
I think its more the fact that without allies, the Night Elves lose every time. They shouldnt need allies to win some of their fights.

Not only that, but if the Alliance does ever win with the Night Elves involved, we are only there to die, cry, and act stupid.
90 Human Death Knight
09/10/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Dreadlocked
I think its more the fact that without allies, the Night Elves lose every time. They shouldnt need allies to win some of their fights.

Why? Every race in the game has had allies help them in certain wars and skirmishes, why must Night Elves be the exception to this?
Edited by Grimtale on 9/10/2011 11:39 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Rogue
09/10/2011 11:38 AMPosted by Grimtale

Why? Every race in the game has had allies help them in certain wars, why must Night Elves be the exception to this?

When we are evenly matched, we typically lose. I could understand if the Night Elves were consistently outnumbered, but that isn't the case. A comparable Horde enemy will defeat a comparable Night Elf enemy just about every single time, regardless of the steps of how to get there. It is only in the steps that the illusion of prowess comes out, but in the end it is all inconsequential, an informed ability which has no meaning or impact on the end result.

Again, Blizzard needs to stop. They need to stop trying.
71 Goblin Hunter
From this book alone we have; Two Night Elf warriors taking out a Goblin combat shredder after the Goblin successfully ambushed them, a no-name sentinel taking out half a squad of Kor'kron accompanied by Garrosh after having been ambushed and knocked out of the sky, injured riders on injured hippogryphs taking out an average of two Orcs on proto dragons each before dying after the Night Elves were ambushed, a handful of priestesses blinding an entire army and their magical support with virtually no effort whatsoever.

Not being able to roflstomp eight nigh indestructible war machines that make Worgen look like ants and can casually throw boulders several times the height of a full grown Elf in diametre hardly makes the Night Elves pansies.

What?

That's ridiculous.

Still, I understand the view from a story standpoint, right now the nelfs don't "feel" powerful, they feel past their prime.

Malfurion does nothing, Tyrande's a pincushion, their gods don't intervene, etc...
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Still, I understand the view from a story standpoint, right now the nelfs don't "feel" powerful, they feel past their prime.

Isn't that how they're supposed to feel?
The Orcs wrecked Ashenvale.
Their immortality is gone.
Hyjal was burned.
85 Night Elf Rogue
09/10/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Williáms
Just a game folks :) hey looks theres rift, and EQ, and SWTOR (soon), and STO and well you get the point :)

A year ago, I would have scoffed at this. Now, I'm considering it.
85 Night Elf Rogue

A year ago, I would have scoffed at this. Now, I'm considering it.

i kinda feel like im trolling with my comment here. What i was trying to iterate was just to take it with a grain of sand.Obviously you guys are very passionate about the story but is it really worth a headache over?

Yes, it is, because there is no reason to play a Night Elf anymore unless you're just a complete masochist. Nowadays, if you play a night elf, you are playing a red shirt. What part of the lore is there to be enthusiastic about?

As far as the rest of the game goes, what is there to like? The quest design is stale and boring, most of the story is a wash, and arenas for me consist of trying in vain to kill some invincible healer for 45 minutes. There are much better games, with much better stories, with much better gameplay out there, what's the point of playing it though if one of the few things that I play for is being butchered beyond all reasonable belief?
Edited by Kyalin on 9/10/2011 12:19 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]