Class Feedback – Rogue

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re looking for feedback on your class as we work on changes and adjustments for a future game update. While we may be making some specific class changes in 4.3, what we’re looking for in this thread is overall feeling on the class as a whole for more long term changes in the future.

Here is the kind of feedback that is NOT helpful in this particular thread:

• Concerns that your current damage, healing or tanking is not competitive. While this kind of feedback is often useful, it also is the kind of thing that can change from patch to patch, and so it isn’t as useful for long term vision changes.

• Concerns that your feedback is being ignored or that we don’t take these kind of posts seriously, or otherwise posting anything that is off-topic or not in the spirit of this thread’s intent.

• Requests for responses to your suggestions or feedback. The purpose of this thread is to get information to us, not the reverse.

We hope you take these threads seriously, as we’re going to be reading them very carefully. We ask that you take time to think and formulate a useful and objective reply, as this feedback could be used to alter your class in substantial ways.

We won’t be replying here addressing your concerns. This is purely for us to read your answers to the below questions.

Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• What spells do you use the least?
90 Worgen Rogue
Zen
What type of content do you focus on?

PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE?

Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I don't really feel that Rogue needs much help in this regard, although it would be nice to bring more utility to the raid. Especially now that TotT no longer really has any relevant threat benefits, bringing something more than just damage to a raid would really help us stay competitive with other classes for raid invites, especially in 10 man where compositions can be very tight.

What makes playing your class more fun?

The fast pace of the rotation.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Being energy starved, (especially as muti) which slows down the rotation.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I like it in Assassination (it feels a bit slow from energy starvation, still, even with the haste from a lot of 391 gear, but structurally it's pleasing). I like the Combat rotation less after Revealing Strike was put in, I prefer the classic rotation for that spec.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

The return of fast off-hand swords. I greatly dislike being forced to use a dagger as an offhand. I miss that swashbuckling look of a Rogue wielding two swords.

What spells do you use the least?

Shiv, Deadly Throw, simply because their use in PVE is limited/nonexistent. Combat Readiness... when the shared cooldown with cloak was introduced, I removed CR from my hotbar. I refuse to use it, since keeping cloak cooled for when it's needed is so much more important.
Edited by Psiserrat on 9/12/2011 9:27 AM PDT
81 Blood Elf Priest
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvP

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Soloing and heroics.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Battlegrounds and arenas to a lesser extent.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Carrying every type of poison around in my bags.

Sneaking around, taking enemies by surprise.

Large amount of finishers I have to keep up at all times. Recup, SnD, Rupture, and EA to a lesser extent. Finishers like those aren't very interesting.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Aside from keeping up aforementioned finishers, I like our rotation in PvE.

I'd like all three specs to feel more unique from each other. Sort of like how my Warlock does. I'd also like to not have to worry about finisher uptime as much or just make finishers more fun.

-Pick Pocket (I'm just so lazy)
-Expose Armor
-Sinister Strike (Combat is boring)
85 Goblin Rogue

PvE, dipping into PvP to test it out.

Heroics and raids. Was away for three months and need to catch up on the raiding part.

BGs.

Needing to refresh poisons is a minor annoyance, but an annoyance all the same. I'm fine with applying them, but an hour duration is a bit short. You can keep the spirit of poisoning your blade if you still have to swap poisons, y'know?

It's also frustrating to not be able to get behind the bosses on some fights, and there's fights like that hydra thing from BWD where I have to fight for that spot.

When I get to incorporate stealth into my gameplay. Sometimes I feel like a feral druid with knives or a warrior in leather, but when I vanish or sprint to an objective that changes.

When gameplay doesn't make me feel like a rogue, or when I can't get behind the target.

Could use something to distinguish it from feral druids, or even other melee classes. Other than that, I actually find it well thought out and fun.

Goodness, you've opened Pandora's Box. I'd like each spec to feel more different. Whenever I swap it feels like I'm the same class doing a slightly different job. The difference between a combat rogue and an assassination rogue, aesthetically mind you, is almost not there, but you can definitely tell when a mage is frost rather than fire or a druid is feral instead of balance.

Also, shadowstep or something like it would be nice to have for assassination, or even all three specs, both because it's such a rogue ability. Poofing around like a ninja.

Gouge may as well be off my bars. Other than that, you've done a pretty good job of having no dead weight on my bars, but rogues seem to have fewer abilities anyway. Not necessarily a bad thing.
85 Orc Rogue
PvE

Heroics and Raids.

-

I find Combo points to be a bit finicky. On targets that die in a raid or 5-man situation I feel I've wasted all my combo points if I fail to use a finisher on the target before the mob suddenly dies. I understand there is an ability to move these combo points but the cooldown and effort to use it can be a bit sluggish on my end.

The damage and the aspect of stealth in PvP make up the only core reasons to play a rogue in my opinion.

Other DPS competition. As a rogue I feel easily outclassed by stronger more efficient DPS who also provide more raid buff/debuffs than myself.

As a combat rogue it's pretty fast paced at times. Juggling slice and Dice and keeping an extremely close eye on my combo points gives me an active feeling towards my rotation which feels like a positive attribute.

I'd like to be more of a benefit to bring along in raids. I feel shelved when Ranged DPS are hardly afflicted by most encounters.

Expose Armor, Gouge (in PvE), Deadly Throw (PvE),
85 Human Rogue

PVE

Raids and Heroic Dungeons

None

Not a huge deal, but re-applying poisons 2 or 3 times during a raid is a pain, especially unglyphed.

Stealth and Sap. Also a lot of the Combat talents like Blade Flurry and Killing Spree make it fun to play.

Low damage for finishers, except for Envenom, makes them feel weak. The global cool down is also frustrating, we are already limited on what we can cast based on our energy pool, the GCD seems redundant and only serves to make us cap during Adrenaline Rush.

No issues really, I think Assassination has a pretty solid rotation, and Combat is pretty good if maybe a little simplistic.

More damage for finishers, especially Rupture and Eviscerate. I'm not looking for more overall damage as I think rogues are competitive currently, just make these feel more like finishers, and make Rupture worth using in Combat, even without the bleed debuff.

For Combat, Rupture. Other than that probably Smoke Bomb, pretty underwhelming spell to pick up at 85.
85 Goblin Rogue

I typically focus on PvE play, however I occasionally do arenas or random unrated BGs.

My raid group focuses on 10m Heroic Raiding.

There are several quality of life issues for rogues. Limited duration of poisons, coupled with their consumable nature and the need to have several different utility or DPS poisons available can be tedious.

Moreover, the use of an extremely fast offhand dagger in order to maximize dps output, causes durability loss at a faster rate than the rest of the rogues gear.

The frenetic pace and feeling that I am swiftly whittling health away from my target is extremely enjoyable.

There’s a large disconnect between how it feels to play a rogue, and the result. Primarily, I feel that my actual button presses have less of an impact on my performance because most of my damage breakdown appears to come from passive sources like autoattack and poison proc damage.

More importantly, I constantly hear friends playing other classes talking about their great numbers on crits or hits (between 60K and 100K) whereas I can never seem to get that “wow” factor, saying "I'm attacking 5% faster" doesn't have the same ring to it.

The combat rogue rotation feels fine on paper, but in practice it feels very spammy and less controlled. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does not jive well with the Bandit’s Guile talent’s Insight mechanic. This cyclical damage buff coupled with the speedy feel of combat’s rotation don’t gel well together.

Better target switching is the utmost requirement: I feel that my ability to perform well in the current style of raid bosses requires more target switching than I can do while maintaining my buffs. Adds die or spawn at a fast enough pace that I cannot maintain or build up my buffs in order to actually start doing damage.

Lessening of passive damage sources: Autoattacks and poison damage make up a vastly disproportionate amout of rogue damage. This means rogues can scale nicely with weapons, but they also don’t see that effect very easily on their abilities. The buttons I actually press should make up more of my damage than my autoattacks. Slice and Dice is a HUGE culprit here.

Set bonuses that aren’t tied to Tricks of the Trade: This is an ability that I hit every time it’s up, and tying a bonus to this skill is boring at this point.

Shiv, Gouge, Expose Armor, Rupture, Combat Readiness, Smokebomb.
85 Worgen Rogue

PVP

Mostly Arenas, and sometimes RBG

Poisons take a lot of space in my bags due to i don't want to keep going back everyday getting more.

just a fun class to play unless i'm trying to kill a healer =/

Silence, kick really don't do much for healers. most of the healers have instant heals and nothing we can do about that. Some of Poisons like the one that takes -10% healing is worthless

rotations are good but more buttons to smash would be nice =D

Shadowstep for all of us world be nice. i feel like i'm stuck being Sub because this is one of the best spells for rogues More Poisons?

Redirect
Slice and Dice
TotT
Rupture
Edited by Rickie on 9/12/2011 10:17 AM PDT
90 Worgen Rogue
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

I prefer PVE and like to invest most of my time there.

I have tried a bit of more "hardcore" raiding, and found it wasn't to my liking. I prefer to stay in normal modes with people I know well, and do heroics either with them or alone. Additionally, I also like to go back to old content to see what I can now solo on various characters.

Battlegrounds. I tried arenas back in Burning Crusade and didn't care for them. I would probably enjoy rated battlegrounds, but the requirements most people spamming trade list are things that I do not meet. Therefore it's just random battlegrounds for me.

I would LOVE for Bandit's Guile to function like Holy Power. By that, I mean that I'm fine with Bandit's Guile taking time to build up, but if it was like Holy Power and didn't reset whenever I switched targets, that would be lovely. I like that Combat's damage is meant to fluctuate with Bandit's Guile, but target switching is already enough of a pain for Rogues in general due to Deadly Poison stacks in PVE and the loss of combo points. Bandit's Guile resetting every time I attack a new spawn or add as I'm supposed to, I lose my entire stack, making me hesitant to switch and be a "good" DPS.

Energy capping is a problem for Combat in general, especially when using cooldowns in conjunction with Magelust/Bloodlust/Heroism. Also, since I don't get to raid as often as I like, I'm not nearly as geared as other Rogues I've seen on the forums. They say that they have energy cap issues even when not under the effect of cooldowns such as Adrenaline Rush, which seems to be a flaw with Combat in general.

Also, having Killing Spree not kill me would be nice.

For PVP, I like being able to choose when I engage people, and various types of control I can use on one particular person in a battleground. As I said earlier, I'm not an arena or rated battleground player, so my "skills" against people of my similar skill level is fun, and if I get killed, I usually think that there is something I could have done differently to hopefully change the battle in my favor somehow.

For PVE, I like being able to use Blade Flurry to attack new adds/spawns, while not actually switching targets, so that I can keep Bandit's Guile going.

Bandit's Guile in it's current state. There are other things, but that is the big one.

Also, not being able to use my 31 point talent because there is a serious chance of me dying isn't fun.

It is relatively simple for Combat, which I like. It is not a static rotation, it varies due to procs and such, which keeps it interesting. But because it is relatively simple, that allows me to pay more attention to the area around the boss, see where not to stand, et cetera.

Bandit's Guile to function like Holy Power and not reset every time I attack a new target like I'm supposed to. I wouldn't mind seeing some poisons merged together, such as Crippling and Mind-Numbing, but it might just be that way for balance reasons. Also, I would like for Killing Spree to be much more deadly to my target than for me.

Seeing as I've never been Assassination ever, I don't think I have ever used Envenom. But Combat's overall design seems to be focused on primarily on physical damage and having poisons as a distant second source. Why is it a noticeable DPS loss to use Expose Armor, which makes the physical damage I deal more effective? It should play right into my spec. I realize the same buff is applied easier by other sources, but it's still strange. Another finisher that doesn't get used much at all is Rupture. I would really like for this finisher move to not do pathetic damage.

For PVP, Combat Readiness does not get much use. My Cloak of Shadows is much more important.
Edited by Milaena on 9/12/2011 10:16 AM PDT
85 Gnome Rogue
  • What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• PvE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Heroic Raids

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• N/A

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• It would be nice if some of our ramp up was reduced. Having to stack Deadly Poison to 5 get up Slice and Dice, get Bandit's Guile rolling, seems a bit much, maybe reducing the number of stacks of Deadly Poison needs to be at full Poison damage would be nice, especially for target swaps.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• I like that rogues have the ability to build up our energy and not be wasting damage unless we hit 100/120, It means we can pool for killing adds a little bit quicker, or for an absorb shield that needs quick breaking, etc...

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• Fan of Knives got gutted with Cata, I don't think it should be increased to the op levels of Pre 3.1, but it would be nice if it did some decent damage outside of assassination

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• It isn't bad overall, assassination is fine, but combat has a couple of quirks that could be ironed out. First we regenerate energy almost to fast to use it all and during adrenaline rush, it is almost impossible to not energy cap at some point during its use. Bandit's Guild was described at last years Blizzcon as "rewarding players for using certain abilities while during Deep Insight;" but the fact is the difference between using trinket/ability cooldowns during Deep Insight and Shallow or no insight at all is so small that sometimes it just does not matter. And I don't know if that means Bandit's Guile should be increase of gotten rid of. The reason i say this, is because most of the time when you have an ability that makes you do more damage on a ramp up basis means that instead of doing x% more when you are at full ramp up power, it means when you aren't at "deep insight" as it were, you do x% less damage, meaning you are at 100% damage at maximum insight and at 100-X any other time. I know it is probably psychological, but that is how it feels.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• Hmm, interesting question. I guess, if I were to have a "wish list" as it were, I'd like to pull a couple ideas from the mmo that shall not be named *cough* Rift *cough* I really liked the idea that there are cleave combo point builders and cleave finishers, though it might feel like a cleave rip off, it would definitely change up at least Combat's AOE/Cleave rotation of turning on Blade Flurry and set and forget it.

Another thing I'd like to see is perhaps being able to have our stuns unnerffed, not because it was fun stun locking someone, but it feels almost as if other classes can stun better than we can and it is a bit of a head scratchier when it does happen.

I'd also like to see rupture do some significant sort of damage for specs other than assassination.

It would be nice if we had a way to gain CP's at range, nothing with any serious type damage, but a way to be able to use deadly throw when players are kiting you, or to hit a boss in an air phase so you don't feel totally useless.

• What spells do you use the least?

• Smoke bomb in PvE, at first this ability was discribed as a way of possibly making a LoS "Pillar" to avoid boss damage. I know because of 10 mans that will probably not happen, but perhaps making it a raid wide Feint type damage reduction to AoE for anyone in the smoke bomb might be cool.

Openers don't mean too much to Combat, the other specs do get to use them more than Combat, maybe that is ok, but just to list it, I don't, and I really don't know any Combat Rogues who do use them.

Expose Armor, it is more expensive, in terms of combo points, to keep up over other classes. Even resto druids have an easier time keeping this debuff up for 3 gcd's for a 5 min debuff.

I said this already, but rupture does pretty low damage for combat, even with revealing strike and glyph'd it is just easier to not use it than to use it.
    Edited by Xenden on 9/12/2011 10:08 AM PDT
    100 Human Rogue

PVE heavily, PVP on the side every now and then.

1/7 Heroic in Firelands. Generally do heroics only when friends need help in-guild.

BG's are all I currently work on.

Honestly, it isn't a big deal, but I would mention anyway that poisons should just be a spell you use, instead of a required item in inventory.

I enjoy being sneaky. Nothing is more fun than cheap shotting someone, and have several rogues focus down someone in a BG.

Hard to answer this, but I do know that playing sub in pve seems far more difficult then the other specs. I understand that it is mainly a PVP spec, but some of the tools the tree gives are great for pve too.

As stated above, Sub needs a bit of work so that it can flow better. The other 2 specs, I actually like the rotations as is atm.

I think it'd be great if we had the option to trade some damage in exchange for being able to choose a different role. Some games did this well and some haven't. What I mean specifically is a rogue tanking heroic 5mans for example. I understand that rogues shouldn't be able to tank top lvl raid content. But wouldn't it be possible to put in a tree specific talent that would allow us to tank when in a pinch in a heroic for a bit? Maybe a reactive talent that buffs armor and dodge or something. That's what I wish for.

In general I haven't used Detect/Disarm Traps for this entire expansion. Would be nice if rogues had bosses only they could get a group into for a heroic. I think dismantle and expose armor for PVE are the ones I almost never use.

I think the class is doing well at the moment, but there are other fun things I mentioned that could make it more fun and useful. Thanks for considering our input!
    90 Night Elf Rogue
    Both, but more towards PvP

Heroics as my guild does not raid at the moment

Arenas mostly with the occasional Rated BG

Needing to waste bag space for poisons

Being able to stealth to scout the battlefield and being able to choose when and where I want to strike.

From the view of assassination, the extreme lack of mobility in PvP as well as missing the days when rogues actually caused fear when they initiated combat 1v1.

It could have a little more leeway between timers, especially for the undergeared, and it feels quite slow as assassination compared to combat or sub.

Shadowstep as a general ability, removal of shared CD between Combat Readiness and Cloak of Shadows, prevention of non-direct damage aoe's from breaking stealth, and combo points stored on the rogue instead of on the target.

Deadly Throw and Gouge, would be more useful if rogue DoTs didn't break it
    100 Pandaren Rogue
    ■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
    -PvE

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
    -Heroics, trying to move into raids

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    -Only two issues I can think about this is having to reapply poisons, but you have already addressed this issue, and tricks losing some of its edge since the tank threat buff.

■What makes playing your class more fun?
    -The high pace rotation, I love the feel of "if I'm not pressing anything, stuff isn't dying"

■What makes playing your class less fun?
    -Being bound to using a dagger offhand, with transmog coming out, older weapon pairs that I managed to hold onto can't be used.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    -I feel that as a combat rogue, energy capping is a very serious issue, I am praying for an energy dump like feral kitty druids have. Also, with the narrow window of when we are supposed to use Killing Spree(At full bandit's guile), that the spell should be a little less dangerous when the person uses it.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
    -Energy dump finisher, being able to provide raid buffs, perma poisons, non offhand daggers, less dangerous killing spree, and getting rid of the shared cooldown of cloak and combat readiness.

■What spells do you use the least?
    -Expose armor, gouge(pve), combat readiness, deadly throw, and pickpocket(the rewards for doing it are too low in my opinion,)

Edited for wall of textiness
    Edited by Caling on 9/12/2011 10:09 AM PDT
    90 Human Rogue

PvE

25 man hardmode content ( Currently progressing on HM Ragnaros)

1 hour poison application. Though I have an addon to remind me when they are about to run out. The whole concept seems more annoying than anything else. I don't really feel as if it adds a unique feel to the class rather than being just one more thing I have to pay attention to on top of 15+ other buffs of i lose thousands of dps.

I just like the melee playstyle in general rather it be a priority system like warriors and rets or a more complicated combo poiint systems like rogues and druids.

Bandit's guile: Causes way to long of a ramp-up period.
    AOE: Combats aoe isn't even worth using in current content making fan of knives next to useless.
    Target switching: Again a bandits guile issue but can also be linked to deadly poison application taking too long to reach 5 stacks and start proccing instant.
    Energy Management: Can barely even use killing spree or Adrenaline rush without capping energy and at some points with haste trinket procs it can be hard to keep it low then.
    Killing Spree: Pretty lackluster in damage for a 31 pt talent. A lot of times it puts you in very random locations that can be very harmful and a lot of times on rag i cant even use it or it means certain death.

From a stand still perspective where there is no target switching i believe the rotation is flawless.

From a perspective where you're constantly moving and switching targets which is the case for most current fights the time it takes to be hitting max damage is just too long.

In order of importance:

A completely reworked killing spree that does not change your position upon use.
    A reworked Bandit's guile that doesn't take 30+ seconds to ramp up.
    Better damage from Fan of knives.
    Less reliability on expertise for bosses that you are forced to be in front of. I'm averaging 50+ parried attacks on hm rag which seems kind of ridiculous considering I'm behind but for all but phase 2.
    Less caps to worry about. Currently we have Expertise cap, Special hit cap, spell hit (poisons) and white hit cap to manage when reforging. Seems like a bit much to me. Maybe make poison hit cap the same as specials so we aren't forced to achieve so many diff caps before we can go after our more desired combat ratings.
    Deadly throw being even the slightest bit useful.

Shiv
    Recuperate
    Blind
    Gouge
    Stuns in general
    deadly throw hasn't been used since RoS when i was solo interrupting it.
    combat readiness
    smoke bomb
    100 Human Rogue

Both

Heroics and Raids

Mostly Arenas and BGs. Rated BGs are fun but it's too hard to get a group together.

Poisons expire. It's a problem!

I'm actually serious. Entering a fight without poisons is a big problem for Assassination. My spec is designed such that my self-buffs account for more than half my damage. I don't think there's another class in this game that can say that. A mage forgets to throw on his Arcane Intellect and he'll still do decent damage, but a rogue who forgets poisons is half a rogue until he realizes his mistake and puts them on. It's a very steep penalty.

Also the unglyphed cast time for pick lock is entirely too long. 5 seconds? Really? This isn't 2005.

Doing good damage in any and all situations is what makes playing a pure DPS class fun.

When my DPS isn't competitive.

The ramp up time for mutilate is pretty ridiculous and negatively effects target swapping and questing. Often, I won't even get a 5 stack of DP up before the quest mob is dead, and my poorly-geared paladin alt can kill mobs just as well as my Firelands geared rogue. It's a problem.

I also dislike the feel of using rutpure as an energy generator. Rogues do too much self-buffing. When you start up your rotation you get up your energy buff, then your haste buff, then you start dealing damage. The energy buff should be passive like Focused Attacks was in wrath, and the damage of rupture should be buffed so that rogues are using the ability for the damage it deals like back in T7. That's when the mutilate rotation felt the best.

Faster ramp up for mutilate's rotation. A Wound Poison buff to deal with the completely ridiculous state of healers in PvP. Cloak and CR put on separate CDs again.

Shiv, Distract, and Expose Armor, but that doesn't mean I don't use them at all, they're just situational. As a side note mind-numbing is my least used poison.
    Edited by Lemonpoison on 9/12/2011 10:25 AM PDT
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]