Class Feedback – Rogue

(Locked)

100 Human Rogue
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE end game / progression raiding, PvP is secondary for me.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids. Heroics if I need to cap points.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

At the beginning of a season my priority in PvP is to get pieces which would be an upgrade for my PvE set. I do Arenas to cap points every week and pretty much ignore rating. Rated BG's with the guild are fun we try to win 3 times a week.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I think that the penalty of not having poisons on is what it is. A rogue should always have poisons on and keep an eye on their buffs. I use macros that apply poisons since it's quicker than applying them manually, it helps for emergency situations. Something that is a bigger concern for me right now is with reforging. Concentrating mostly on PVE there are fights where Combat is much better than Mutilate wich is my main spec, and fights where Sub might be better too. But the stat weights are so different that by the time I could acquire an off set that could be properly reforged chances are it's already the next patch and I'm already working on new gear for my main spec to the point of rendering my off spec useless. I suggest that for a fee, say 10k gold, we can reforge the same gear different ways for different talent trees. This would also help with clutter in bags.

What makes playing your class more fun?

I am a dps class, I like to have my rotation down, know a fight well and be able to put in big numbers. I am excited about the upcoming legendary daggers, I probably wont get them, but I will try.

What makes playing your class less fun?

When I reforge / enchant everything as best as possible, have a perfect rotation but some how end up putting in low numbers, lower than lesser geared / experienced players, it's a bummer.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I think that the Mutilate rotation is fine. I liked the rupture-less rotation, that was nice for a change. I am currently messing around with a Sub spec since it is currently a higher dps spec that Mut. I have to say the Sub rotation is ridiculous. Right now the rotation is so dependant on combo points generated by Honor Among Thieves that I can't even practice it properly on a dummy. I want to have the highest dps possible and I will learn any rotation I need to, but it shouldn't be such a difficult rotation it would be totally distracting from a boss fight. I also think that Revealing Strike makes the Combat rotation a little more confusing than at needs to be.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

Thanks for the Daggers! Hope I manage to get them while they are still useful / current.

What spells do you use the least?

I can't think of a spell I use less than Expose Armor.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Mostly raiding with some heroics thrown in.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The only real quality of life issue that still bothers me to this day is the fact that we still apply poisons, which is something all the other classes no longer deal with. Something similar to the shamans weapon enchants would be preferred. Also, lowering the cooldown of misdirect would be lovely.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

I like the versatility and the ability to choose how I approach a fight. Things like dropping combat at will, lowering aoe dmg, and cloaking to give me an edge against certain mechanics.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

Having to switch targets constantly and not be able to keep my damage at max while doing so. Lacking mobility in anything but the sublety spec considering how many mechanics effect melee. Having a 4pc bonus that is amazing in party or raid and absolutely useless solo.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I am actually liking the changes to the assassination rotation, and while some find it slow or odd, I find it to be fluid and symbiotic. I also love having an "execution" mechanic now with backstab and murderous intent.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

First of all I will say that I am in the camp that believes that Shadow Step needs to be given to all rogue specs. I dont feel its inherently a sublety skill considering it didnt exist until TBC and as far as I am concerned you can take the dmg bonus away and we'll call it even. I feel that what Assassination and Combat lack in mobility Shadow Step makes up for with little tuning needed. Warriors now have charge in combat and every stance, ferals have their pounce, hunters were given disengage in all specs so I fail to see how all rogues having Shadow Step breaks the game. Secondly as I am primarily assassination spec I dont want to say that we scale poorly but more that I dont think that one set is enough now with things like mastery and reforging. I lose so much by having things like expertise and no mastery on my chest simply to utilize my 4 pc w/o shoulders. I'd like to see either another set specific to one or two trees or see things scaled a bit differently. As it stands reforging is just not enough.

■What spells do you use the least?

Expose Armor which we have a warrior tank and to be honest i've not used the skill in literally years and that fact does not bother me. I dont find it usefull at all.
I'll throw cheap shot in here since the diminishing returns have been placed on it.
I'd like to use smokebomb but seeing as its useless in PvE I dont. (Only in pvp)
I use distract very very rarely.
90 Undead Rogue
•What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVP, I use to PVE but rogues are next to useless now since they dont bring much to the table.

•If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Rated BGs. I only do Arenas as a last resort to get my conquest points cap.

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could
be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Poisons only lasting for an hour. Would be more reasonable for them to be a permanent buff untill we replaced them or removed them ourselves.

•What makes playing your class more fun?

The fact that rogues take some skill to be good at. Not just any one can succeed as a rogue.

•What makes playing your class less fun?

Being a support class when fighting healers. Any half decent healer can outheal a single rogue with the exception of resto druids. Not being able to kill a healer is very upsetting.

•How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

There is quite a bit of struggle with keeping up all of the buffs/debuffs that require combo points to maximize DPS on rogues. I think an increase in the time of some of the skills like slice and dice for combat an subtlety specs would help out a lot.

•What’s on your wish list for your class?

Better offensive capabilities when dealing with healers.

•What spells do you use the least?

Rupture is just about useless for all specs except Assasination. The DPS on it is worthless... For example it actually does more harm than good on warriors who have talented into Blood Craze, It will heal them for more damage than it puts out.
100 Night Elf Rogue

PvE

Heroic Dungeons & Raids
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Purchasing and Applying poisons. We're the only remaining class in the game that must spend money to stay competitive in battle. Make all types of poisons into class abilities, instant cast, and change Glyph of Poisons to increase the duration by either 50% or 100%.

Target switching! Redirect isn't really enough to mitigate the pain of having to switch targets in battle.

For Assassination, the fact that our damage is fairly 50/50ish between poison(magic) and physical damage tends to hurt us pretty bad on any fights where one type of damage is totally blocked. We essentially drop to 50% effectiveness on all targets, whereas other classes can keep 100% effectiveness on specific targets. I imagine Combat and Subtlety suffer the same problem, perhaps to a lesser degree.

Doing competitive DPS, having utility to deal with many different situations (traps, CC, scouting, etc).

Too many boring non-choice abilities that have to be maintained during battle: Slice and Dice, Rupture, Vendetta, Tricks of the Trade.

Haven't played Combat much in Cataclysm, my only comment here is that Killing Spree is often too dangerous to use (I killed myself with it when fighting Kologarn back in Wrath because it teleported me to the insta-kill zone at his feet.)
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

For Assassination:
Keeping Slice and Dice up is boring, it's not a choice, it's a requirement. I'd rather see the 40% melee attack speed rolled into our passive bonuses and Slice and Dice re-imagined as something that makes a more interesting choice when the time comes to spend combo points. Keeping Vendetta up is also boring; it's another requirement due to the flat 20% damage buff. Tricks of the Trade, another boring non-choice ability. I like Rupture in the sense that I have the option to put a DoT on the enemy. I don't like that Rupture is pretty much required to be kept up at all times, like Slice and Dice.

Implement the poison changes outlined above, mitigate some (or all, I'm not picky) of the hassle with having to play "finisher buff uptime juggle". Make some of our boring abilities more interesting and make target switching less painful.

• Smoke Bomb, rarely find situations that need this and forget to use it when they do come up;

• Deadly Throw, I've used this ability in PvE probably less than 5 times since it was introduced to the game;

• Gouge, rarely find situations in PvE where this is useful;

• Combat Readiness, this can't compete with Cloak of Shadows in PvE;

• Redirect, with the 1 minute cooldown I end up forgetting to use this because I'm trying to save it for situations that maximize it's benefit;

• Expose Armor, between bears and prot warriors I don't get much opportunity to put this ability to use;
85 Blood Elf Rogue
What type of content do you focus on?
PvP

If PvP, what type of PvP?
Arenas

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Poisons can be pretty annoying(not that big a deal)

Why, being the ultimate master of stealth maneuvers of course

Positional requirements on backstab can get pretty annoying, especially when healers keep their back to a wall

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are
used to maximum efficiency.)
Well if you don't count the reply to the previous question, it's absolutely perfect

Remove "Redirect" and make combo points stack on our portrait instead
Rework "Shadowstep" to daze the enemy instead of the small sprint, setting up openers can get annoying on mounted enemies
"Shiv" should remove enrages without wasting 3 energy bars, which by that time it's worn off anyway
I would also love "Cheap shot" and "Kidney shot" on separate d/r's again

Redirect, Feint, Distract, Shiv
Edited by Musedqt on 9/29/2011 8:31 AM PDT
85 Human Rogue

More on PvP. Do a fair bit of PvE.

•If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids and Progressions

Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Combo point system, coupled with need to stack poisons means a rogue requires some ramp up to reach competitive potential which doesn't last long.
Positioning requirements forces re-specing, and makes performance a big concern considering latency.
Ability to use weapon chain on thrown weapon as the current enchants available for them are non-value added.
Poisons could be introduced in a fashion similar to runeforging.
Subtlety tree have rupture refresh on eviscerate regardless of combo points or better still change from rupture refresher to recuperate refresher, but that might be too powerful in PvP

•What makes playing your class more fun?

Control.
Thumbs-ups for improving rogue survivability and considerably although not completely negating their CD dependant nature.
Utility.

Current situation 4.2 where rogues are in (i.e. minus the above mentioned quality of life concerns) is in an almost ideal condition, great work done towards balancing the class.

•How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

A bit repetitive on combat, avoiding the need to spam a single ability like sinister strike would be ideal. Adding more abilities similar to revealing strike is a positive direction which must be further investigated in my opinion.
Having the rotation similar to a feral druid can make the class a lot more interesting to play and can add some more skill cap to the class, as well as attacks that induce self buffs such as hemo increases bleed damage, revealing increases finisher damage, have an instant ability with a short cooldown (like 8 seconds) that could reduce armor in the form of a combo point generator au contraire of a finisher like Expose Armor [FOR MORE SEE LAST QUESTION].

Improve mobility in other trees.
Shadowstep to friendly. Minor glyph possibly.
Necrotic Strike (Necrotic Poison, Just kidding .... or am I?)

Expose Armor ---> should be converted to combo point generator and last like a hemo glyphs can increase the benefit. Or even better increases melee attack power against target, rogues could be the ones to redeem the low melee dps right now, increasing their raid utility fixing their demand.
Deadly poison ---> should be made like earth shield so that it is an instant ability easily applicable on the target, similar to lifebloom does a slight bursty damage on the last tick, to be refreshed, making refreshing it ideal only after the last tick, more like Warlock's Bane. This can reduce some of the ramp up time required for poisons to stack, as well as add some flavor to the rotation.
Pick Pocket ---> Make it like so. Rogue loots all nearby bodies on use (8 second cooldown) useable only on lootable targets.
Edited by Summary on 9/29/2011 9:10 PM PDT
100 Worgen Rogue
• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
- PVE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
- Heroics/Raids/Other

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
- Longer poison duration, especially for raids .

• What makes playing your class more fun?
- Being up close and personal.

• What makes playing your class less fun?
- Rogue smashing in chat, LOL

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
- I play as Assassin and I like how Envenom refreshes SnD cool down, wish it worked the same for Rapture. If that was the case I would assist in using other spells more frequently to assist in the fights or actually use Redirect to attack multiple targets more efficiently.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?
- Incorporate Rapture to refresh the same as SnD does with Envenom.
- Not being so starved on energy. Maybe using some spell to refresh energy like what Recuperate does for self healing.
- Please fix FoK to do more damage than Druid’s mushrooms.

• What spells do you use the least?
- Deadly Throw and Gouge
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

Both

Heroics, Raids, Old School Raids, Quests

Arenas, BGs

Carrying and maintaining a supply of poisons can be annoying but not too big of a deal. Target switching sucks as a rogue.

More rogue skill usage. Disarm traps, picking pockets, sneaking around. World PVP!!! I really wish Shadowstep was a baseline ability, I love that skill but really don't like Subtlety. I wish Ambush actually hit for a decent amount of damage, burst is gone from this class.

Being forced to spec into certain trees to be effective in certain areas of play. I want mutilate for PVE and PVP like in BC!!! Granted during BC Shadowstep was better, but if you really liked mutilate you could run it and still be fairly deadly. Also, my abilities feel like they do no damage at all in PVP, what the hell happened? In vanilla ambush was almost a one shot.

Assassination is great. Combat is ok but too rigid. At least in assassination their seems to be some variance with combo point generation. Subtlety is too hard to play. I played it in BC for PVP but I have no clue what to do now.

More rogue based quests. More sneaking, more pick pocketing. More stealth. More burst. A buff to Assassination. A simplification to Sub or making Shadowstep baseline. Possibly a revamp of final tier talents. They all seem underwhelming. Shadow dance feels weird to me.

Smoke bomb. Combat readiness. Feint. Picklock. Pick pocket. Deadly throw. Disarm Trap.
86 Undead Rogue
PvP

Arena, BGs, Rated BGs

Feeling like a professional stealthy assassin

"rogue" or specifically "assassin" not living up to its name(frost mages)

it works well atm.

Give assassination rogues an ability to help against kiting. I personally thought a "death grip" in the form of a grappling hook would pair well with the assassination spec.

Combat Readiness, Cloak of Shadows is more useful with all the war-head throwing casters out there.(Frost Mages)
85 Undead Rogue

PvP

I like how there is'nt a category for World PvP. Whats the point of even having PvP servers if this is what Blizzard considers PvP?

Guards. I can understand the need for some firepower in the city, but you've made them Terminators with heat seaking nuke guns.

Being able to choose when or when not to engage in a fight and being able to bail out if it gets to hot.

Freakin Ninjas!

Nothing that has to do with the class, but again Guards.... please throw these back up on the drawing board. Not being able to use 1 of my core abilities and handicaping another.(Vanish and Preperation) really irritate me. Whats the point of being a stealth assassin if as soon as I pop out of stealth it becomes useless in a city? or around any sort of Guard haven.

In PvP there really is no rotation...of course. For PvE? Its usually a mindless 3 button rotation with the popping of CD's whenever their up.

I think your getting the picture of where I might be going with this. To be able to vanish away from a "NPC Guard"

Expose Armor. Its complete Garbage in any spec.
Tricks of the trade. Only because of the CD though. Great ability.
Rupture. Only use it on other stealthies or a prot specced class.

Please try and bring my class back to the "World" of warcraft.
Edited by Hectic on 10/1/2011 5:38 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Buff Eviscerate. Playing as Sub, if I have a full Recuperate, full Slice and Dice and I don't want to use Kidney Shot or it's on CD, what am I supposed to put the 5 points into? Rupture? What if I need burst? Investing 5 points into Eviscerate with 2/3 Coup de Grace and getting less damage than a non-Backstab crit is ridiculous.
100 Night Elf Rogue

PVE

Raids/Heroics

N/A

Re-applying poisons

Definitely the ninja aspect of the rogue class, being able to stealth and out-maneuver some of the other NPCs

At times playing Assassination (Mutilation) Spec I feel sluggish and energy starved. I guess it's because those of us who played Assassination back in LK had the extra combo point proc from out set bonuses, which made us feel we were operating at a faster rate.

I feel when you are standing still and not moving what so ever I think the rotation is perfectly fine....but moving around is another story.

Some sort of improved energy regeneration.

Expose Armor
Distract
Gouge
Smoke Bomb
85 Blood Elf Rogue

PvP

•If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Arena

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters

i dont have a Huge problem with my poisons. but it gets annoying to remind myself to rebuy them at the vender and to re-apply every hour. only issue i could find.

.•What makes playing your class more fun?

The idea of being stealth.

The feeling that Wound poison isn't doing much. i find 10% is quite low.

i love my rotation. i wouldn't complain

a 6th combo point for longer durations and bigger damage for my Eviscerate (and other attacks)

Expose Armor, Feint and Envenom
87 Night Elf Rogue

• PvE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Raids - mostly 10-man regulars.

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• Arenas

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• Stacks of poisons taking up bag space. Just put the poisons in the spell book.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• combat mechanics - rapid striking, instant attacks, energy & combo-point system, cooldowns.

• gearing up - It's fun trying to max DPS stats. No need to worry about gathering "off-spec" gear or having your current gear becoming useless when wanting to switch specs.

• two raid-viable talent trees - assassination and combat

• poisons taking up bag space

• uselessness during "air phases" and other ranged-mandatory situations

• time-delay that it takes to run into melee range between different targets

• I feel the rotation is pretty good overall (not overly complex/convoluted, and not overly simple either).

• Optimal use of Revealing Strike (combat tree), however, should affect DPS more.

• Put the poisons in the spellbook.

• Give us a combo-point building throw attack next expansion.

• Combo points should stack on the rogue, not the target.

• Make us not absolutely useless for ranged-only "air phases".

• Remove energy costs for Kick, Feint, Tricks of the Trade.

• Remove GCD for Adrenaline Rush, Feint, Tricks of the Trade.

• Feint - Remove the targetting and range restriction, so you can just activate it to universally reduce threat and AoE damage. (At the very least, increase the range to 40 yards)

• Kick - Reduce the cooldown to 5 seconds when targeting a PvE target, but keep it at 10 seconds when targeting a PvP target.

• Make it easier and quicker to close the distance between targets in general. Perhaps reduce the cooldown of Sprint.

• Expose Armor

• Smoke Bomb
  • Edited by Ghostofpak on 10/1/2011 6:14 PM PDT
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]