As Horde, how do I get to Loch Modan?

2 Dwarf Shaman
I want to go there and try to tame the fireflies (Mainly Nix, the yellow one) on my Troll hunter. But he's only level 29. So before I attempt my journey I want to know the best way to get there.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This'll be a long run unless another Hordie can explain a shorter route.

1) From Tarren Mill in Hillsbrad Foothills, run east to Arathi Highlands.
2) Follow the road south into the Wetlands. Head east at the fork (hang a left).
3) Follow that road up through the tunnels in the mountains and you'll be in Loch Modan in the northwest corner of the map. There are dwarven guards in the mountains so be careful.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Tirisfal (UC) -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad -> Arathi ->Wetlands -> LochModan.
Between Wetlands and Loch Modan, there are dwarf patrollers in the tunnels, just keep running and they'll give up.

The max level for all these zones is Arathi at 25-30, so you should have no problems getting there.
Avoid the roads in Loch Modan, there are patrollers there as well.

Also, it seems they are giving out flight paths for free now (you don't have to actually go to flight master and talk to him), so check your paths and maybe one has opened up closer to Loch Modan (maybe in Wetlands or Arathi) and you might be able to skip most of the riding.
Edited by Barnwell on 9/12/2011 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Well be ready for a lot of riding. The closest place to Loch Modan a level 29 horde has access to is Hillsbrad Foothills (forsaken/BE level 20-25 zone east of Silverpine forest).
-Head east out of Southshore (quest hub in western part of hillsbrad foothills) until you get to a main road running north/south.
-Go south and follow the road into Arathi Highlands (25-30 contested zone).
-Continue south through Arathi Highlands and over the broken stone bridge into Wetlands (this is a 20-25 alliance-only zone so be careful of the quest hubs near the roads).
-Follow the road south until the road ends at a T intersection.
-Go left (east) and follow the road south-ish. It will loop around the base of some large mountains and eventually curve back west again.
-At the very south western tip of Wetlands the road will enter a series of tunnels, follow them into the northern part of Loch Modan.

You may have to kill some low level dwarf patrols in the tunnels and they may flag you for PvP so be careful once you kill them.
Reply Quote
74 Troll Druid
I don't recall, off the top of my head, what the level range for is Arathi now, but it used to be a chore running through on my way to the Wetlands at level 20 for my Warlock toons' class quests back in the day. It should still be the toughest leg of the trip. Stick to the roads, and you shouldn't have any issue with the animals. Especially now that we get mounts at 20.
Edited by Mokamba on 9/12/2011 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Shaman
Okay, thanks guys. I'll probably try it tomorrow since it's late.

I have one other question though. I hit 30 and got dual talent specialization and I'm going to go Survival and Beast Mastery. I'm taking the talent that increases the attack power from Aspect of the Hawk in BM. If I activate BM and the talented AotH and then switch back to survival, do I get to keep the attack power bonus?

Because I tried it and the icon says it remains at the increased attack power. But I wasn't sure if that was just like a graphical screw up or something because it seems kind of cheap to get to keep a bonus from another talent tree I'm not currently specced into.
Edited by Nexttopmodel on 9/12/2011 7:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
09/12/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Nexttopmodel
I have one other question though. I hit 30 and got dual talent specialization and I'm going to go Survival and Beast Mastery. I'm taking the talent that increases the attack power from Aspect of the Hawk in BM. If I activate BM and the talented AotH and then switch back to survival, do I get to keep the attack power bonus?

You shouldn't. It's possible that it might "persist" until you switch aspects, and if it does, that would actually be a bug.
"Real men (and tauren) wear kilts" -- Pahanda
Reply Quote
Okay, thanks guys. I'll probably try it tomorrow since it's late.

Because I tried it and the icon says it remains at the increased attack power. But I wasn't sure if that was just like a graphical screw up or something because it seems kind of cheap to get to keep a bonus from another talent tree I'm not currently specced into.

The bonus from the talented BM AotH should not transfer over when you switch spec's. I suspect it might be a tool tip error.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'm taking the talent that increases the attack power from Aspect of the Hawk in BM. If I activate BM and the talented AotH and then switch back to survival, do I get to keep the attack power bonus?

Nope. Only the talents, glyphs, and tree-specific abilities for your currently active spec will be available to you.

Because I tried it and the icon says it remains at the increased attack power. But I wasn't sure if that was just like a graphical screw up or something

Probably.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Shaman
Looks like it's a bug then. Because untalented I have 90 AP with AotH. Talented it goes to 117. If I switch specs it stays at 117.

Is there some place I can like report it or should I not worry about it?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
There's a "Bug Report" forum. GO to Forums - Support - Bug Report.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
09/12/2011 07:42 PMPosted by Amandalynn
There's a "Bug Report" forum. GO to Forums - Support - Bug Report.

Or just click this link:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/

Note that it's probably a tooltip error; it's likely not actually applied to your character's statistics. But if you can check, that would help Quality Assurance immensely.
"Real men (and tauren) wear kilts" -- Pahanda
Reply Quote
75 Orc Hunter
Re: The Dwarf tunnel guards.
I've run that tunnel several times on level 20 toons. Just ride fast. You'll take some hits but should outdistance the guards easily.

While in Loch Modan also grab Ashtail, the blue fox.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/12/2011 09:47 PMPosted by Nok

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45380

He's a rare, too, though, so he may not be there waiting for his travel-weary Troll hunter to claim him. Then again, so is Nix...

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45402

...and if one is up, chances are pretty good the other will be as well, according to this comment under Nix: "Picked up Nix about five minutes after finding Ashtail on Lightbringer. Not bad for a lowbie alt I made out of boredom, two rare pets just waiting to be tamed."
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
You must be after Ashtail. I also went to get him on my Horde hunter (and the white bear in Dun Morogh whose name I can't remember right now).

This is the easiest way to get there:

Zeppelin to Undercity (if you're in Org).
Flight to Galen's Fall, Arathi Highlands. This is a new flight point added in Cataclysm. It is right off the road at the wall between Hillsbrad and Arathi.
Run east and then south to the Thandol Span.
Cross the span on the left (east) side. If you fall off the bridge, there's a ramp back up on the to the east, on the Arathi side.
After you cross the span stay as far to the left of the road as the mountains will allow until you're safely past Dun Modr, where several Alliance NPCs are.
Follow the road south and then east to the tunnel to Loch Modan. Don't cut across the terrain or you'll have to fight your way through, and there's a new Alliance settlement out there as well.
In the last tunnel up to Loch Modan you'll start running into Alliance NPCs patrolling. Some will ignore you, others will aggro. Run like hell.
Once in Loch Modan you can cut across the former lake to get to the area around Farstrider Lodge where Ashtail lives. Stay off the roads as much as you can because they are patrolled.
Edited by Raimondas on 9/13/2011 8:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Orc Hunter
09/13/2011 03:27 AMPosted by Mukluk

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45380

He's a rare, too, though, so he may not be there waiting for his travel-weary Troll hunter to claim him. Then again, so is Nix...

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45402

...and if one is up, chances are pretty good the other will be as well, according to this comment under Nix: "Picked up Nix about five minutes after finding Ashtail on Lightbringer. Not bad for a lowbie alt I made out of boredom, two rare pets just waiting to be tamed."

Ashtail is more unique than rare. He respawns pretty quickly and walks a fixed path in a limited area.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]