"New Class" Suggestion

85 Troll Druid
Please note:
I would have put this thread in the class forums but since it involves all 10 classes I'm putting it in the General Discussions forum. I have recently returned to the game after playing Rift for several months. Currently I have four 85's: Blood Death Knight (main), Restoration Druid (ex-main), Enhancement Shaman (farmer), Retribution Paladin (potion-maker).

Edit: With this suggestion it would be a perfect time to introduce the third specialization.

Instead of adding any new classes why not add a new talent tree for each class? Here are my suggestions:

Class: Death Knight
Talent tree title: Harvester
Role: Minion master

• Main attribute is intellect, spirit, stamina. (Uses Holy Paladin gear)
• Armor up to plate.
• Weapons able to wield are daggers (talent tree specialization), staves (talent tree specialization), one handed sword, and off-hand (talent tree specialization).
• Secondary bar: runic power and runes.
• Mastery: Deathly Calling (pet effectiveness).
• Description: using their runes to generate one of three rune-dependent reanimation souls: Paladin casting Holy Light and Exorcism, Mage casting Frostfire Bolt and Frost Nova, and Warrior using Heroic Strike and Shield Block. These pets last 60-90 second duration and are considered undead just like Raise Dead. They will all be commanded by the pet’s action bar and act as though they are a single pet.
Issues: nothing but willing to take criticism.

Class: Druid
Talent tree title: Lifewarden
Role: Minion master

• Main attribute is intellect.
• Armor up to leather.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Druids.
• Secondary bar: mana.
• Mastery: Anatomy or Animist (plant pet effectiveness).
• Description: channel powers of growth to spawn plant life. Three main types of plants: a protection spawn that reduces damage take by nearby group members, a poisonous spawn that deals little damage but with an unlimited number of them, and a fiend spawn that is the only non-stationary spawn which deals the most. The first 2 spawns will be stationary meaning they cannot move and also you will not be able to command them meaning they will attack anything nearby which will be a short range (probably 20-30 yards depending on talents).

Class: Hunter
Talent tree title: Trapper
Role: Ranged/Control

• Main attribute is agility.
• Armor up to mail.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Hunters.
• Secondary bar: focus.
• Mastery: Charlatan.
• Description: Survival does seem to have the most “trap” talents but this tree will give out many bonuses and several new traps
Issues: similar to Survival tree but will be able to lay new types of traps and multiples of them such as Land Mines.

Class: Mage
Talent tree title: Warmth
Role: Healer

• Main attribute is wisdom.
• Armor up to cloth.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Mages.
• Mastery: Blood Flow.
• Description: uses the power of heat to increase regeneration of players healing them.
Issues: similar to Restoration Druid.

Class: Priest
Talent tree title: Monk
Role: Melee

• Armor up to leather (through Specialization)
• Weapons able to wield are fist weapon (through Specialization), staff, one handed mace, two handed mace.
• Secondary bar: focus.
• Mastery: Deity (focus regeneration and damage while in "Monk Decree").
• Description: using the light, these select few priests channel their holy capabilities through their bodies in force dealing fast and precise damage at their foes. These priests get a "Monk Decree" when they join this talent tree much like Shadowform that deals extra holy damage but only allowed to use Holy and Discipline schools. All healing spells are changed into dealing damage in melee range while in this stance but keep most Discipline spells as they are or possibly change them to a melee procedure (aka "proc") such as Power Word: Shield having a 20% chance to cast on yourself when successfully striking an opponent. These changes will not go back to normal when not in "Monk Decree".
Issues: similar to Retribution Paladin.

Class: Paladin
Talent tree title: Exorcist
Role: Caster

• Armor up to plate.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Paladins.
• Mastery: Words of Faith (holy damage).
• Description: these cryptic curers of demonic possessions have went public. Now they're aiding their faction by using their secretive associations with punishment by pain.

Class: Rogue
Talent tree title: Thrower
Role: Ranged

• Armor up to leather.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Rogues.
• Secondary bar: energy.
• Mastery: Heavy Armament.
• Description: specializes in throwing weapons. Able to also attack twice using both arms to throw much like the Warrior’s Titan’s Fury.
Issues: slightly similar to Marksman Hunter but able to stealth more effectively.

Class: Shaman
Talent tree title: Binder
Role: Tank

• Main attribute is stamina.
• Armor up to plate (through talents).
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Shamans.
• Mastery: Earthen.
• Description: too many players talked about how Shamans should tank. Well here you go!

Class: Warlock
Talent tree title: Possession
Role: Tank

• Armor up to cloth.
• Weapons able to wield are same as all Warlocks.
• Secondary bar: mana and control. Control is a new bar that shows how much control you have over the demon possessing you. When it hits 100% you gain an absorbing shield.
• Mastery: Control.
• Description: Use your Voidwalker to take control of. Your soul possesses its and you are now in control. You gain massive defenses bonuses while your damage output is lowered. Most of your spells with a cast time will now be a melee attack where your instant spells will not change.
Issues: this is a bit complicated.

Class: Warrior
Talent tree title: Breaker
Role: Tank/Support

• Main attribute is strength.
• Armor up to plate.
• Weapons able to wield are shields only.
• Secondary bar: rage.
• Mastery: Directional Approach
• Description: dual wield shields using to deal minimal damage but to aid nearby players with deflecting damage, absorbing damage, and to augment tanks.
Issues: similar to Protection. Possibly give the Protection tree dual wield shields and this new one but a pet class using mechanical pets? It's just a thought.

And remember these are my ideas and not of Blizzards. I do not work for them or have any connections other than I do play their game. These are also suggestions so use constructive criticism when replying.

Thank you for reading!
Edited by Lablamb on 9/4/2011 7:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
These are some really good and interesting ideas but tbh some of those names suck haha
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Names can easily change. I got Harvest from Naxxramas, Lifewarden is actually in the lore, and Binder is from Earthbinder which is what Thrall is now.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
You're right. I've always thought this was the more boring ones. Except wouldn't be awesome to stealth to a high point then pummel your enemies from out of no where? Instead of coming out of stealth on top of your enemy your hidden inside a bush? People would think, "Where is that bugger!?"

Edit: That's why my Rogue is 80 and not 85.
Edited by Lablamb on 9/4/2011 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
24 Goblin Rogue
As cool as some of these might be, Blizzard has enough trouble trying to keep the existing specs balanced. In a perfect world though, it would be interesting.

Edit: Also, the Shaman should still wear mail so we can have a mail tank. They could get extra armor from stoneskin and maybe rockbiter weapon.
Edited by Mezzik on 9/4/2011 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Alright...I have a few things to express about the usefulness of some of these idea. Keep in mind, I like most of them, even if I don't agree with them.

From the top

Death Knight
-As a minion master? Pet control is already glitchy enough. Devoting an entire spec to it, seems a little unreasonable.

Druid
-See above, and those plants seem a little like shaman totems too

Hunter
-This one seems like a filler. It kinda feels like you were going for one of every class, and didn't really have a strong argument for hunter, so this just sorta came up as "use more traps!" I know you would need to add one to each class to be fair for this, but if any of those 10 are just "to be fair" and not actual strong ideas, there is a problem with that spec...see current Ret Pally model for an example btw :)

Mage
-Healer? It makes more sense than tank, I'll give you that. Mages just don't feel "healer like" to me. All three current specs always felt like some form of face melt DPS for one purpose or another. There's nothing wrong with pure DPS...I'll touch on thoughts about current issues further down though.

Priest
-Okay...I gotta admit, I like this one. No major criticism on it by itself, but to be honest, Blizzard could probably condense Holy/Disc in to one healing spec, and use the extra for this one instead.

Paladin
-Another one I like. I have a lower level Holy Pally that has a Holy DPS set for dungeon running. It's kinda stupid that as a "healer" spec, I'm able to compete and outdps a fair amount of people, even when not able to wear real BoA's cause holy pallies are too OP for plate INT gear

Rogue
-The idea of just "throwing" isn't high on my wishlist for rogues. I'd like a rogue spec that gave more versatility though, and ranged options would be great. Something that doesn't kick out insane DPS right up close, but can choose to stab or shoot with acceptable numbers in both.

Shaman
-More tanks are good, give the role some variety. They don't really need plate though, just like druids don't need it. You could downgrade armor class for this spec to leather instead of mail (or just downgrade to leather for the whole class anyway...) and use the same gear druids do, with a "bear form" buff just like all tanks require of some kind.

Warlock
-Once again, more tanks are good, but this one, just like Mage just doesn't feel right to me. It almost feels like Demonology +. Just convert Demonology to a tank spec at that point.

Warrior
-As much as I'd love to see a single tank dual weilding shields and doing a tank and off tank job at the same time. No...it just doesn't fit.

A little bit more generalized criticism is that Blizzard seems to be moving away from the idea of "support" classes. As much as I love EQ, WoW is not, has never been, and never will be EQ. They've decided their claim to fame is simplicity across the board. Your job boils down to one of three things, Take the hits, heal the hits, or deal the hits. Because of this simplified equation, everyone is used to it, and any deviation from it will likely result in widescale rebellion and just when people start to accept it, Blizzard will cave and revert everything back to faceroll mode (see patch 4.0.6 if you don't remember...)

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Alright...I have a few things to express about the usefulness of some of these idea. Keep in mind, I like most of them, even if I don't agree with them.

From the top

Death Knight
-As a minion master? Pet control is already glitchy enough. Devoting an entire spec to it, seems a little unreasonable.

These pets would be considered a single entity when controlling them.

Druid
-See above, and those plants seem a little like shaman totems too

They are close. These, however, would be where the Druid gains their power. Depending on which is active determines which spells will be augmented. Also could add in something like Eclipse and Lunar from Balance. When you use damage spells you go one way (reducing healing done) and in reverse.

Hunter
-This one seems like a filler. It kinda feels like you were going for one of every class, and didn't really have a strong argument for hunter, so this just sorta came up as "use more traps!" I know you would need to add one to each class to be fair for this, but if any of those 10 are just "to be fair" and not actual strong ideas, there is a problem with that spec...see current Ret Pally model for an example btw :)

They could even have a Blink spell where you drop down land mines in your path waiting to be triggered.

Mage
-Healer? It makes more sense than tank, I'll give you that. Mages just don't feel "healer like" to me. All three current specs always felt like some form of face melt DPS for one purpose or another. There's nothing wrong with pure DPS...I'll touch on thoughts about current issues further down though.

My Hunter suggestion would keep that class as pure DPS.

Priest
-Okay...I gotta admit, I like this one. No major criticism on it by itself, but to be honest, Blizzard could probably condense Holy/Disc in to one healing spec, and use the extra for this one instead.

Thank you for your positive criticism.

Paladin
-Another one I like. I have a lower level Holy Pally that has a Holy DPS set for dungeon running. It's kinda stupid that as a "healer" spec, I'm able to compete and outdps a fair amount of people, even when not able to wear real BoA's cause holy pallies are too OP for plate INT gear

Again, thank you for your positive criticism.

Rogue
-The idea of just "throwing" isn't high on my wishlist for rogues. I'd like a rogue spec that gave more versatility though, and ranged options would be great. Something that doesn't kick out insane DPS right up close, but can choose to stab or shoot with acceptable numbers in both.

In a previous reply I talked about how it would be a lot of fun out in a battlegrounds to stealth around and find a good high point and come out of stealth pummeling a target at range making the enemy think, "Where is he!?"

Shaman
-More tanks are good, give the role some variety. They don't really need plate though, just like druids don't need it. You could downgrade armor class for this spec to leather instead of mail (or just downgrade to leather for the whole class anyway...) and use the same gear druids do, with a "bear form" buff just like all tanks require of some kind.

Just mail is completely fine. I'll be changing these ideas soon in the original post in this thread.

Warlock
-Once again, more tanks are good, but this one, just like Mage just doesn't feel right to me. It almost feels like Demonology +. Just convert Demonology to a tank spec at that point.

Actually this is one of my older suggestions. Back during when Metamorphosis first was released before the expansion I thought it was a Tanking form.

Warrior
-As much as I'd love to see a single tank dual weilding shields and doing a tank and off tank job at the same time. No...it just doesn't fit.

This was my random idea other than dual wielding shields. I don't know what else a Warrior could do other than maybe use mechanical pets since we don't have anything mechanical.

09/04/2011 04:58 PMPosted by Loche
A little bit more generalized criticism is that Blizzard seems to be moving away from the idea of "support" classes. As much as I love EQ, WoW is not, has never been, and never will be EQ. They've decided their claim to fame is simplicity across the board. Your job boils down to one of three things, Take the hits, heal the hits, or deal the hits. Because of this simplified equation, everyone is used to it, and any deviation from it will likely result in widescale rebellion and just when people start to accept it, Blizzard will cave and revert everything back to faceroll mode (see patch 4.0.6 if you don't remember...)

Reasoning behind using "support" as a role is from my recent play of Rift which has Tank, Healer, Damage, and Support.

As cool as some of these might be, Blizzard has enough trouble trying to keep the existing specs balanced. In a perfect world though, it would be interesting.

Edit: Also, the Shaman should still wear mail so we can have a mail tank. They could get extra armor from stoneskin and maybe rockbiter weapon.

That would easily work with the Shaman. Just to defend these ideas, people have said flying in Azeroth would be too much trouble.
Edited by Lablamb on 9/4/2011 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I was thinking about this too. I'd actually prefer this over a new class.

What I like:

Rogue:
I like the idea of throwing weapons doing a lot of damage, however, I think the Thrower Rogues will still need to have decent melee DPS as well.

Priest:
This sounds AWESOME

Warrior:
I love the idea of duel wielding shields. I can just imagine a warrior just bashing mobs with the shields to gain aggro.

Alternative Ideas

Paladin
I think I'd prefer a Shadow Paladin. If Paladins are just Priests that learned how to fight with hammers and armour, then Shadow Paladins make complete sense.

Druid
All the specs are covered by the current Druid class except for a Ranged class like a Hunter. Maybe we could have a druid that uses Bows? Or perhaps even an Urban Druid.

Mage
Lightning Mage!
Edited by Swisgaar on 9/4/2011 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I was thinking about this too. I'd actually prefer this over a new class.

What I like:

Rogue:
I like the idea of throwing weapons doing a lot of damage, however, I think the Thrower Rogues will still need to have decent melee DPS as well.

Priest:
This sounds AWESOME

Warrior:
I love the idea of duel wielding shields. I can just imagine a warrior just bashing mobs with the shields to gain aggro.

Thanks for your positive criticism.

Alternative Ideas

Paladin
I think I'd prefer a Shadow Paladin. If Paladins are just Priests that learned how to fight with hammers and armour, then Shadow Paladins make complete sense.

This is pretty much a Death Knight.

Druid
All the specs are covered by the current Druid class except for a Ranged class like a Hunter. Maybe we could have a druid that uses Bows? Or perhaps even an Urban Druid.

Ranged role would be Balance unless you mean ranged physical damage which would be nothing what a Druid is meant to be.

Mage
Lightning Mage!

Lightning is more Shaman. Mage consists of the natural catalyst elements such as fire, water, and air. When I say natural I mean of the natural world (excludes shadow and holy) but includes nature. But when I say catalyst I mean a changing element which nature is not. Nature is more of a constant flow.

Edit: Arcane is what happens when you think. Wind (which isn't in the game and is considered Nature which personally is kind of stupid) is what happens when you pressurize something. Fire is what happens when you cause friction or fusion. Water (or Frost) is just a state of an element from what happens when you heat or cool it. At least this is my point of view.
Edited by Lablamb on 9/4/2011 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]