Matching Gems with Level

85 Night Elf Hunter
How are you supposed to find a gem that will fit a certain level item?

I have hands (2 red sockets) and legs with (1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow). Both are item level 85
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
1. IF you insist on gemming low-level stuff, don't worry about matching the colors. (Especially on those gauntlets.)

2. Low-level gems can be gotten from Jewelcrafters, or from some of the vendors in Outlands.

Most people recommend not bothering to gem low-level stuff like that since you'll outgrow it soon anyway.

See here for the gems you'd be able to put in Outlands gear -
http://www.wowpedia.org/Outland_gems
http://www.wowpedia.org/Northrend_gems_by_color
Edited by Nullwolf on 9/11/2011 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think any gem up through Wrath of the Lich King quality-gems will fit into any item regardless of item level. I can put a Wrath quality gem into my level 60 druid's relic, for instance.

Cataclysm-quality gems have an item level requirement. It will be listed on the gem itself.

Just buy really cheap green or blue quality gems of the type you want at an AH. So long as they don't have a ilevel requirement on them, it'll work.

BTW--buying Outland gems from the gem vendors there is likely going to cost more than what a leveling jewelcrafter is going to list their green gems for on the AH. AND, those gems will probably be even better!
Edited by Cerylia on 9/11/2011 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The only gems that have an item level requirement for the gear they're socketed in are Cataclysm gems. The gems are item level 81 and up so you can ignore them on the auction house; they require an item level 285 or higher item in order to fit a socket.

Other than the Cataclysm gems, you can put anything in those sockets. Best you can do are the epic WotLK gems.
Edited by Icedragon on 9/11/2011 8:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
If you can find them SUPER CHEAP, go ahead and shove the +Agility gems in those gloves and pants (depending on which pants you have).
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
IF you really want to gem gear that you'll replace in a few levels...

You can often find uncommon BC/Wrath gems cheap on the Auction House from people who are powerleveling JC. If you can't find any, or they're more than a few gold each, there is a vendor just inside the Honor Hold Inn who sells common (white quality!) BC gems.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/11/2011 11:52 PMPosted by Raimondas
IF you really want to gem gear that you'll replace in a few levels...

If you put WOLK gems into BC gear, you end up making super gear that will probably last you 10 levels or so, because you get so many more stat points that way. Those 'look we added gems' green quest rewards are really amazingly good if you pack them with 12-20 of a primary stat in each slot instead of the 2-6 points you could get in BC.
Reply Quote
70 Orc Hunter
If you're going to get gems as a leveling hunter, disregard the socket color and just stack agility gems.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Is there any good Blue Sockets for item levels 200?

Please don't necro old threads. if you have a question make a new thread.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are there any good blue gems? Because you can put any color gem into a socket, you just won't get the bonus.

You can see all the blue gems in the game here

http://www.wowhead.com/items=3.1

The gems below level 85 don't have an ilvl requirement.
Edited by Monmonn on 3/13/2013 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]