Class Feedback – Death Knight

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re looking for feedback on your class as we work on changes and adjustments for a future game update. While we may be making some specific class changes in 4.3, what we’re looking for in this thread is overall feeling on the class as a whole for more long term changes in the future.

Here is the kind of feedback that is NOT helpful in this particular thread:

• Concerns that your current damage, healing or tanking is not competitive. While this kind of feedback is often useful, it also is the kind of thing that can change from patch to patch, and so it isn’t as useful for long term vision changes.

• Concerns that your feedback is being ignored or that we don’t take these kind of posts seriously, or otherwise posting anything that is off-topic or not in the spirit of this thread’s intent.

• Requests for responses to your suggestions or feedback. The purpose of this thread is to get information to us, not the reverse.

We hope you take these threads seriously, as we’re going to be reading them very carefully. We ask that you take time to think and formulate a useful and objective reply, as this feedback could be used to alter your class in substantial ways.

We won’t be replying here addressing your concerns. This is purely for us to read your answers to the below questions.

Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• What spells do you use the least?
85 Worgen Death Knight
KGB
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE. Raiding and doing dailies and achievements.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

See above.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Some PVP. Occasional BG.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

"Death Strike missed again" - Dead.

What makes playing your class more fun?

The rune system. Runic power. We're not just another shield carrying pally/warrior.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Spiky damage and thus leading to complaints from healers. Personally it's not a problem for me, but sometimes it happens and then the stuff hits the fan.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Feels good. Sometimes feel a little "rune starved" or playing "rune roulette."

What’s on your wish list for your class?

Improvement for the Blood Shield and Bone Shield. If that Death Strike misses, and I don't parry or dodge that incoming hit...it's game over. Just over-all feel a little "squishier" than other classes.

What spells do you use the least?

Necrotic Strike
Festering Strike
Blood Strike
Edited by Komsin on 9/12/2011 9:28 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
what type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE only really interested on end-game raid content

Heroic mode/Progression raiding at a considerably high-end and competitive level.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

We've always been pretty "lucky" In the sense that we haven't got a lot of stuff to manage, Our resource system is one that's always been really exciting and unique compared to other classes, having duel resources to micro-mange has always been the strength of the class, however it feels that since the cataclysm model for Death Knights the rune system has become very unstable, and I guess for lack of a better term; "Buggy"

Additionally, having runespeed scaling with haste makes both the DPS specs (Frost and Unholy) feel very similar and very "Spammy" compared to how they were, unholy used to have a faster play-style, while frost had a more patterned rotation and a more reactive play-style.

Personally, Having solid rotations and priority’s for the specs made them enjoyable and fun, with 3.1-3.2 blood you had to time cd's and plan your rune layout for nuke phases, this kind of planning throughout the DPS cycles have all but been made redundant and your burn phases are now just harder hitting version of the current "spam as soon as you get your runes up"

Bad RNG, I'm sure you're going to hear this a lot from a lot of classes, and I guess this is one of the largest problems to plague any DPS class, but I feel that Death Knights and more specifically Frost specced DK's have little to no control over their overall output, it comes down to the fact that on two logs from two separate weeks, the same player can do the exact same number of primary to secondary spell casts, Improve on ghoul summons, and still net 2-4k less DPS due entirely to the number of KM procs and the % of those that landed at a time when he/she could Obliterate.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

As I've mentioned previously in this post, I feel the major problem stems from the lack of decisions or "On-the-fly choices" the player has to make regarding his/her dps. Unholy no longer has to micro-manage their diseases and runes, merely clip an FS to keep the diseases up through a B-F-U cycle and get back to SS spamming.

Frost has to put a little bit more effort into managing Blood Plague once a minute thanks to 2/3 epidemic and the relatively short cooldown on outbreak. However it feels that it comes at little to no cost given good Runic Empowerment RNG. It means the spell doesn't really need to be factored in anymore just hope for the best through your RP dump cycles.
My main concern is that the specs and their respective rotations have become less patterned, more spammy, unholy feels almost mindless, and frost feels luck-based even with the utmost forethought of your rune cooldowns and resources.

Stability / consistency, being able to assess your damage through spell breakdowns gives players a way to measure their play level and gives them a method to asses areas of improvement throughout multiple aspects of their play, whilst a single player can experience up to 40-45 more/less procs and 3-5k dps difference from identical timeframes and scenarios, it leaves a lot to guess work and estimations. which believe me, takes a lot of fun out of playing a class.

Blood Strike!! Since the implementation of Festering Strike, and the Blood of the North change, the spell has been rendered completely irrelevant in all three of the Death Knights specs, I might note that you guys also announced a 10% damage buff to the spell within 16 days of making it redundant. The spell had its place in DPS rotations in 2/3 DPS specs in wotlk. I feel it helped break up the rotations by adjusting the spell priority when used in conjunction with Death Rune regeneration, definitely fun having to manually control your resources.

I also would like to point out that I've completely dodged any discussion on tanking and the state of Blood throughout cataclysm, I'm a strong advocate of the new playstyle of blood and the new style of tanking, I think it's a great thing, but there are MASSIVE flaws right now that really need to be addressed, I want to urge you guys to invest some time into reading posts authored maintained and by Riggnaros of Blood Legion - [US]Illidan. He's put a lot of time and effort in to outlining the issues and finding solutions, not just a QQ fest.

Thanks for the chance to provide feedback guys.
Edited by Kivharo on 9/12/2011 10:43 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
1. What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

I focus mainly on pvp.

2. If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

All of the above.

3. What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The biggest issue i have with being a deathknight at the moment is the fact that our pet stun gnaw costs energy and is on GCD with claw. Having to turn off auto cast claw in order to get our pet stun off is a real pain in the !@#. Also pet leap getting put on CD when i use leap when my pet is rooted is also a pain in the $%^.

4. What makes playing your class more fun?

Great peels and offensive utility

5. What makes playing your class less fun?

Clunky pet mechanics

6. How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I'm fine with the current DK dps rotation.

7. What’s on your wish list for your class?

Gnaw costing no energy and off the GCD and leap not getting put on CD when i use it when my pet is rooted. Also I would also like my pet to stop getting stuck on edges.

8. What spells do you use the least?

The spell that i least use is icy touch
90 Draenei Death Knight
DK tanking is in an interesting place. The blog post concerning Blood was good, and I really can't wait for those changes to be implemented.

One thing I would love to see implemented is glyph that turns our ghouls into geists. Ghouls are ugly, and one of the oldest models in the game- but geists are new, and super sexy.

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE]

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids]

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
THE RUNIC POWER REQUIREMENT ON RAISE DEAD. WTF MAN. If an encounter is about to end, or has ended, I cant do anything. That spell might as well not exist. I have to choose between rezzing my healer, or spamming all my defensive cooldowns. I seriously think the runic cost was poorly thought out.

AOE numbers.

That AOEs been nerfed a bit. You cant aoe with CCd mobs anywhere in the vicinity, and if you want to risk it, you have to be very careful with guessing what range they are and if Pestilence or blood boil will mess them up and wipe the group. Crowd control is lame. DKs have no abilities, and our AOE abilities in regards to the new pro-CC policy just doesnt have the fun synergy that it should.

Also, reliance on runes. I have to wait around for a Death Strike, and I could die if it's not available at the right moment! This makes it WAY too spiky.

As blood, there realy isn't a rotation. It depends on the encounter.

Raise dead runic cost should be switched to runes, or lowered to a cost that can be gotten with the 25 RP we get from [Empower Rune Weapon]. GEISTS instead of ghouls glyph.

Death Coil. Which is a shame. I REALLY loved that spell when I was in DPS. Also, old aoe unholy blight was awesome. If you bring it back I'll donate 3,000$ to Make a Wish!
Edited by Gorelather on 9/12/2011 9:56 AM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Pve

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

raids/dps
■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

bg
■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I'm the guy that pops Blood presence once the tank dies and lets the party survive, but recently the durability for Frost dps has plumeted.
■What makes playing your class more fun?

High haste.....keep spinning thoes blenders.
■What makes playing your class less fun?
Down time on rune regen.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
It works, and I'm ok with it.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
My wish is for a larger variety of single handed wepons for DW Frost. One str wepon for pve doesn't make a spot in my book.
I'm a sword guy, get these obsidian cleavers out of here.
Before you guys say "transmog!" I want the newest tier content for my looks, not some easy go farm weps.

■What spells do you use the least?
.....i use all spells when the context is right.

Edited by Skotino on 9/12/2011 9:47 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
I focus mainly on PvE with light emphasis on PvP.

Heroics along with Raids, old instances and raid content as well.

Battlegrounds only.

Tanking is a bit of an odd spot right now. It seems there's a split community when it comes down to the idea of how to do it properly when it comes down to what stats we're looking for and what works best.

The soloing ability a Death Knight possesses is immense. When I play my Death Knight I feel a true sense of power and situational command.

The stigma behind my class. Playing my class comes with the burden that we're typically bad players or terrible Death Knights. Similar to the situation of players who selected hunters and were branded as "Huntards".

It feels normal. It has pretty smooth flow in Blood and Frost with Frost being the most easy and simplistic to follow (in a good way) I'm unsure about Unholy.

I'd like Outbreak to perhaps be on a shorter cooldown or have Festering Strike have a reasonable use for blood as well.

Festering Strike.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

PvE

Raids

Disease's while tanking, Reapplying diseases on multi target fights (i.e Majordomo Staghelm)

2 resources to use

To a degree diseases

Nonexistent anymore, its now a priority system which I like much better.

Dancing Rune Weapon to be worth using as a tank. Less damage spikes as a tank, maybe some kind of passive damage reduction along with Blade Barrier. Bone Shield to either not cost a rune, or to not be on the GCD, or make it passive, or have it cost runic power. Ghoul for Unholy to scale better. Frost to be less RNG dependent. Diseases to to be easier to apply for fights such as Majordomo Staghelm (or shorter CD for all specs for Outbreak). Army of the Dead on 5 min CD and lower casting time. A glyph maybe to take the taunt off of Army of the Dead and/or Death Grip

Dancing Rune Weapon, Festering Strike, Bone Shield, Army of the Dead, Frost Presence, Dark Simulacularum (completely useless in PvE)
90 Human Death Knight
I replaced my original post with this one, which is closer in format to what was requested.

What type of content do you focus on? If PvE, what type of PvE?

I focus on PvE, Heroic Raiding, currently in 10mans.

Being boxed into Dual Wield as a DPS spec. I briefly switched from 2 372 weapons to a 391 2hander, but testing showed I was doing less damage, so I switched back. When DW does more dps at lower ilvls, it feels restrictive.

I like my wide range of abilites that are useful in a variety of situations. DKs have survivability, utility, and damage.

Boss mechanics that are anti-melee, whether by design or unintended. Examples of anti-melee boss mechanics would be cleave effects, whirlwind effects, high movement boss fights, and those mechanics that require players to spread out from each other, especially on a fight with a small hit box. Baleroc and Ragnaros are examples of this kind of fight, though they do have good size hit boxes at least.

In general I am fine with it as frost. When I play Unholy it feels a bit more clunky, but that's probably just me being rusty with that spec.

I really wish there was better itemization for weapons, especially Firelands. Since I am having to go DW, there's only 1 weapon available for me (Obsidium Cleaver), and it requires TWO drops in order to get the 391 version (the original Cleaver and the Crystallized Firestone).

Dark Simulacrum. In PvP it's useless since people don't cast spells with a cast timers, and in PvE, I'm not sure there's any raiding situation where it's useful.

Since someone brought up BRez, I'd like to add: I don't mind the RP cost, I don't even mind the low health, but what does bother me is the lower range our BRez has over Druids. That 10 extra yards means I have to stop and try and find the corpse cause it's out of range.
Edited by Nikolos on 9/12/2011 10:09 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
-I mainly focus on PvE content, raids in particular.

-My biggest QoL would be our new Brez. It's cost of RP makes it unreliable for me to get a Brez out in due time. Combine that with the fact the person comes back at scary low HP has my healers yelling "Don't let the DK Brez!"

-The things that I enjoy about my class is the fast paced rotation. It keeps me interested as I hit stuff. I also really enjoy the utility I have. If I fail to a mechanic, or am about to, I can AMS/IBF most of the damage taken and Death Strike the rest. That feeling of being able to take care of myself mid-fight is great.

-I do not like the downtime I have in my rotation. It takes away the pace I've set in regards to my rotation. My biggest pet peeve, however, would be bosses that I'm forced to be in front of parrying me. It makes me, and I'm sure other melee, frustrated. It does bother me knowing that the Hunter, who's DoT is just as important, is not worried that his Serpent Sting will be parried and I'm left to worry about my Plague Strike being parried.

-Taking into account that the downtime to my rotation is not fun, I feel my rotation is solid. It has me making choices all the time, and keeps me interested and does not feel clunky at all.

-I would like to see my class become a more viable tank. I don't like the way a DK is punished for not taking "DPS stats" like Expertise/Hit. I also don't like the tough constraint on Death Strike usage. It's either use it at the right time, or die. For instance, if a pally doesn't use Crusader Strike on time it's not like his shield drops to the floor and he loses that mitigation. It feels like a misplaced Death Strike will drop a DK faster than a lead balloon.

-The spells I use the least would be Necrotic Strike and Festering Strike.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

PVE.

Heroics, raids

Runic empowerment. Since that has come in, rune generation has felt entirely too random and unreliable.

Tanking with a 2 hander is always great :D I just like the feel of the class!

Waiting for runes, being squishier than other tanks.

See the above comment on runic empowerment. Too random due to a "chance to regen" system. Much prefer runic corruption.

Being able to block! Failing that, being less squishy. And specifically for female BEs: BIGGER 2 HANDED WEAPONS! It's silly now D:

Blood boil! It just seems almost pathetically weak now :(
85 Night Elf Warrior
PvE/raider/tank. I'm going to reply to a few points:

What makes the class more fun? (tank) When the class comes into full force and has a true influence on the outcome of the encounter. ie, when an encounter plays into the strengths of the class and negates or avoids the weaknesses.

What makes the class less fun? (tank) When it feels like you have to work harder than everyone else but there's no "payoff", no particular advantage. You're merely "as good", but are working significantly harder just to hold parity.

How do you feel about your rotation? Runic Empowerment is a failed mechanic. The changes to the rune regeneration system in Cataclysm merely postponed the problem; Frost got permanent Death Runes, Unholy got Runic Corruption instead, and Blood suffers.

What's on your wishlist for the class? Balance the return on investment for the tanking side of the class. Either make sure the payoff is always there, or get rid of the extra work involved.
Edited by Charsi on 9/12/2011 10:01 AM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on?

PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE?

Raiding. 5 mans are little more than a requirement (an annoying one) to cap valor points

Both 2-hand and dual-wield frost specs are only competitive when played in unholy presence. With current itemization this leads to a GCD locked rotation with little room for error.

While the "fast-paced" aspect of unholy presence is fun, being general CD locked is not fun. I also really miss the old blood DPS tree, which was my favorite by a considerable margin.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?

While the removal of blood runes removed some of the irritatingly excessive RNG of frost, the loss of blood strike as a functional attack has made the rotation a bit bland. I would have preferred that blood strike had been redesigned/significantly buffed and Runic Empowerment changed to be more like Runic Corruption.

For blood, while the "active mitigation" model is interesting, having Death Strike consume runes that are needed for other functionality is a terrible decision to have to make. Blood feels punished for applying diseases or using runes on heart strike/blood boil when those runes might be needed for a DS a few seconds later.

Scrap Runic Empowerment and make Runic Corruption baseline for all 3 specs. RE works for frost, but you had to remove blood runes to do so and the rotation is mind numbing now.

Bring back blood DPS!! Or at the very least, modify the 2-handed frost spec to remove the GCD lock, make its weapon strikes hit harder and reduce the RP generation.

In PVP, frost survivability is unacceptably low against other melee classes. Having Bone Shield made baseline and increasing its physical damage reduction to 30% would be a good step.

Hungering Cold was effectively removed from PVP with the addition of the cast time. Death Strike is rarely worth the rune cost now that it is so ineffectual. Blood Strike might as well not exist anymore.
Edited by Bulveye on 9/12/2011 10:00 AM PDT
85 Tauren Death Knight

* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
I am a PvE player. I play to raid.

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Currently I am in a group that is pushing Heroic Raid progression.

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
I play a tank. Blizzard is already aware of several of the issues with blood tanking as it stands. The biggest problems I have are disease application and recovering via death strike. As it currently sits, disease application is annoying. We have very little hit and expertise on our gear so it sometimes get's a little annoying when I am hitting icy touch and plague strike several times before I see the disease show up on my target's debuff's. This isn't a problem when outbreak is off cooldown, but I shouldn't have to rely on a 1 minute cooldown to keep something that is essential to my class up. Another problem I have is with death strike. The current model of it restoring X% based on Y% damage taken in last 15 seconds is crap. It basically says that we have to allow ourselfs to get lethally low before we can get a heal worth a damn off. This is a large problem when we have inherantly low mitigation to begin with. Adding on the miss/parry/dodge rate, it just sucks. If our tank model is going to be based on this active tanking idea you have, it at least needs to be less RNG dependant. I honestly don't think the upcoming changes of having it always heal is the solution either. We need some sort of passive hit/expertise boost. Perhaps it could even be tied into boneshield or blood presence. It doesn't even need to be alot. Just enough so that when we are doing our reforging that we don't have to choose between massive mitigation/mastery loss or increased hit/expertise. Give us a small boost that would allow us to take a smaller hit to our mitigation stat optimization in order to help with hit. As it sits now, it's just not even viable to try that because we lose far too much of our other stats that we can't afford since we're so squishy as it is.

* What makes playing your class more fun?
The uniqueness of the play style. Frost is sort of a button masher, but as a tank I love having to actually be active and learn about my class to be good at it.
* What makes playing your class less fun?
The constant ranting other players have about it. DK's suck at this, they're OP at that. Very few players actually look a DK and say "yeah, they're just right at this". Alot of our abilities need the collosal smash treatment so that we can stop being over-corected in one way or another. It really ruins the experience when you nerf the snot out of something like DS because it affects pvp too much, then 2 months later it's "whoops now you're hard to tank with". It shouldn't be like that. We need seperation in key abilities from pve to pvp.
* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I feel fine with my current rotation. My only issue, is that when death runes are up, it appears to use them before it uses blood runes, and it makes it pretty difficult to keep blood runes on cooldown.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?
I'd like to see some tanking polearms. We don't have any weapon specific abilities, so why not open up some room into the lesser used weapons for us to use. Fist weapons would be pretty neat but not really an issue.
* What spells do you use the least?
Festering strike. I don't even know what use that strike has right now.
85 Night Elf Warrior
For my DK. PVE, mostly dungeons and quests.

Okay let's see.

Blood and its resources feel far too slow. I've played them with around 20% (additional) haste and it's much more fluid and interesting to play.

Runic Empowerment does not work for Blood, and it causes far more problems than it solves. About the only spec it really works for is Frost, and more over, only in the sense that it adds a bit (more) of randomness or unpredictability to their rotation. That doesn't work well for a tank and certainly not for anything more significant than threat.

Blood Shield tries to do too much all at once, while leaving you completely exposed once its depleted. Consider making Blood Shield a longer lasting but less effective DR effect.

*pause*

My main gripe towards blood is the fact that it's essentially two floating CDs that 90% of their activity revolves around; your Blood Rune refresh, and your next FUD pair. That's it. If it's a blood rune you either use it to refresh Blade Barrier or you ignore it. If it's a FUD rune pair, it's Death Strike. As DK you effectively have 2 buttons that you press over and over. Death Strike and Rune Strike.

I'd like to strongly suggest migrating Death Strike to a RP ability (say around 40rp). Doing so removes the generally redundant/irrelevant Rune Strike, and so long as it does not trigger RE/RC won't cause issues for Frost or Unholy specs. Most importantly though it also allows tank DKs some actual flexibility with their runes, as well as the ability to innately trigger their diseases (none of this outbreak stuff except when you need both of your diseases up this second, like the start of a raid boss pull).

An interesting side-effect would be that tank DKs would prefer to use dual rune attacks, in order to generate their RP more efficiently in fewer GCDs, via attacks like Obliterate and Festering Strike. This allows for dynamic shifts between Heart Strike, Obliterate, Festering Strike, Plaque Strike and Icy Touch.
90 Goblin Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: PvE only

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: 25 Raids

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]:

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. : QoL is excellent in PvE currently IMO

■What makes playing your class more fun? There is a good balance of use ability, utility abilites and reactionary abilities

■What makes playing your class less fun? Roller Coaster changes to spec and the constant fear of changes reducing the utility/ouput of the class through PvP/PvE balance.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) It is good with the exception of being a bit out of controle of the player and more "whack-a-mole" would be nice to build and conserve a reasouce "RP" to be utilized in conjunction with the proc of "Killing Machine". As it stands Frost DPS DKs do not hesitate to hit Frost Strike on a Killing Michine Proc due to it being better to use the proc then to wait for runes to come off cool down of more then 1/2 second.

■What’s on your wish list for your class? 1)Make Icy touch hit hard enough on a Rime Proc to replace Howling Blast so that there is a choice as to when to use either ability. As it stands the only time Icy Touch is used is when breaking a nearby CC is bad. 2) Make 2HD frost viable for PvE through the use of Frost Preasence to give a choice of play style and because it seems easier to balance against the PvP concerns that got it nerfed recently.

■What spells do you use the least? Easier to say what is used in order of usage: Frost Strike, Obliterate, Howling Blast, Outbreak, Pillar of Frost, Mind Freeze, Anti-Magic Shell, Death Grip, Ice-Bound Fortitude, Death and Decay, Dark Intent. Other abilities are not used in PvE Frost DW Raiding DPS.

P.S. Dark Sim seems a waste of an 85 ability in PvE
Edited by Teeptrip on 9/12/2011 9:50 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]:
PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]:
25 man raids with some heroic modes

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.:
un-life is great.

I enjoy having an 'infinite' resource mechanic that is less restrictive than energy, but more readily available than rage. Also, being a battle-mage (for lack of better term) is fun.

Kiting. While i appreciate being able to help slow adds and such down here and there, too often does the frost death knight get stuck keeping the adds alive the entire fight with chillblains kiting instead of doing something more entertaining (examples are magmaw worms, heroic conclave flowers, heroic rhyolith obsidians, heroic beth'tilac spiderlings).

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.): RNG can get in the way some times. Runic empowerment is fun, but it can be frustrating to not get a single rune proc after 4-5 frost strikes. This leaves you with a "dead zone" in your rotation where you really can't do anything but stare at the boss.

1. Buffs to frost presence to encourage frost DK's to use it. Currently, there's virtually no incentive to use frost over unholy presence because of the potency of 1s gcd's. While I don't mind UP, it just feels "wrong" to use the presence of another spec.

2. A glyph to make raise ally bring the target up at 100% life (so they don't immediately die to random raid aoe. our druids are required to have this type of glyph already).

3. Some additional purpose for hungering cold in PvE (it's kinda useless right now with the cast time).

4. Blood tap to work correctly. I frequently use this ability and have it do nothing at all, as if It doesn't understand what to do when I already have both bloods as death runes.

5. Some new runeforges. Basically just for flavor

Icy touch- There's just no purpose in this ability as a frost DK. I'd honestly prefer it buffed to do more single target damage than howling blast, to differentiate the two as single target/aoe.

Dark Sim- There just isn't much in a raid that you can use this on, and it's hard to preemptively grab casts at times.
Edited by Noelahg on 9/12/2011 9:56 AM PDT
90 Undead Death Knight
Both

Heroics/Raids - some old content soloing.

BGs.

Rune starvation(dead zones) - not as bad as it's been in the past but it's a definite speed-bump in terms of play style.

The little things. Rune forging is great, path of frost is useful when needed, etc. The balance between PVP/PVE feels right on the DK - I don't feel gimped or OP in either.

Runes... Play style goes from almost frantic to a dead stop w/ auto attack due to rune starvation. If there was a way to meet in the middle, play style would feel more consistent.

In all specs you have to deal with runes, which were interesting at first, but the novelty quickly wore off when I realized how clunky and ill-conceived they really are.
The way they work is so convoluted that I don't even try to keep much track of them anymore. I mostly just hit buttons, and either they work or they don't.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
Frost is a little proc heavy. The above quote really sums up how I feel about the rune system, and the 'dead zones' when they occur are frutrating.

Some form of CC. Overall the DK feels like a well tuned class, with the minor exception of occasional rune starvation (perhaps due to the reliance of procs), it's a very enjoyable class.

Depending on spec, I'll use them all from time to time.
Edited by Militus on 9/12/2011 10:08 AM PDT
89 Night Elf Death Knight
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

Content: PvE

Five mans, raids. Hopefully one day heroic raids.

Death Strike in its current iteration is way too much of our limited resources. In 4.3 the change may be enough. However, what plans are there to change up Death Strike such that it will allow more of the useful strikes, such as Festering Strike?

More fun: Getting the timing right on the Blood DK "rotation"

Less fun: Not really having a rotation, and messing up even once on the Blood DK "rotation" leading to a death.

But I don't have a "rotation" - I have a priority based response system. And I don't like it in its current form.

My wish list is a full rebuild of Blood from the ground up. After attempting this myself, there's really no easy way to do it. Per my post in the #9 Tanking Ask the Dev's, I feel your pain and likely the same way about trying to do something that's really likely fixable with a rework of the spec.
The major issue I have with Blood comes down to Runic Empowerment. It's not bad, it just gives us a timing issue that makes haste a nearly good stat to have. Maybe Runic Corruption would be OP for Blood, however, something can hopefully be found to make the spec fun to tank on, and fun to have a great time with. Challenging and Fun is the wrong word order, I personally think.

As a Blood DK, the abilities I use are:
- Death Strike
- Rune Strike
- Heart Strike
- Death and Decay
- Bone Shield
- Icebound Fortitude
- Anti-Magic Shell
- Death Grip
- Horn of Winter
- Dark Command

I think that's about it. The rest, I can't really squeeze in due to the Runic Empowerment system. I literally can't spare the runes for them.

Thank you for reading this, if you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]