Class Feedback – Death Knight

(Locked)

90 Worgen Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics and Raids

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Unholy spec class should be using Unholy Presence and Frost spec should be using Frost Presence.
I mean whats the point of having Improve Frost or Unholy presence when we as raid dps class stick to Unholy presence when we're either frost spec or Unholy spec on boss fights due to the new Runes CD system. The only time as Frost dps we use Frost Presence only when we're AOEing apart from that frost presence is pointless making the skill Improve Frost Presence almost pointless. So why put Improve Frost Presence? Since each spec has their own improve presence, shouldn't the mechanics for that class be sticking to that?

Furthermore, Unholy Death Knights uses 2-Handed Weapons as Duel Wielding is long dead for Unholy. Wouldn't it be more wise to have 2-Handed weapon specialization in Unholy tree than in the bottom last 3 Tier of Frost? Least put it in the 1st tier of Frost or Blood tree so that Unholy and Blood can spec into it. For right now Frost Dps class are always using Duel Wield making "Might of the Frozen Waste" skill ultimately pointless and wasted.

What makes playing your class more fun?

We have some skills which other classes don't have. Like Dark Simulacrum it is as interesting spell to use yet it is more useful in PvP than in heroics. For raids basically useless on boss fights. Would be nice if we could use it on boss encounters.
Rune Forge is one major plus point for use Dks as that is the one thing that makes our enchants on weapons different from other class.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Death Knights use to have that uniqueness. It has lost that sense of unique and hero feel after so many patches. Now it feels like yeah just another toon.
Frost use to be dependent on Crit and Armor Penetration stats. Unholy was Haste and Crit stats. Now however both specs go for Haste and Mastery. This is kinda sad to see. There is no sense of difference in it.
I understand Blizzard is trying to make Mastery and important factor to all classes. If so why not make Frost prioritize on Crit and Mastery & Unholy Haste and Mastery? Least we see a difference in it.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

As Frost or Unholy DPS it can get tight on rotations at times, but the worst of all is as a Blood tank, it gets really tight for them. Still needs some fine tuning.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

I wish...
1) Make 2-handed weapon specialization aka "Might of the Frozen Waste" viable for Unholy and Blood spec Death Knights by having it in 1st tier of either one of the skill trees rather than wasting it on Frost Tier being right at the bottom. For it's obvious that Frost Death Knights will Dual Wield and Blood & Unholy would always be using 2handed. Which has been the fact since the introduction of Death Knights since WotLK. It's kinda unfair to the other to Talent class frankly.

2) Let each DPS class as Frost or Unholy be using their respective presence as their main and not as a substitute or not using at all. Therefore, Unholy in Unholy Presence and Frost in Frost Presence. That way it makes pumping points into Improve Frost/Unholy Presence more meaningful.

3) Make Dark Simulacrum applicable in raids boss fights.
Why? What is the point of a hero class when the only thing difference is well you can only have 1 Death Knight character and ya you start off at level 50 wow! Apart from that yeah well, just another plate DPS class.
Dark Simulacrum is a one skill which has potential to make us unique if we can use it on boss fights in raids. That way it makes Death Knights special and more like a real hero class than just another toon.

4) Get Unholy tree back to the time where it was fun and on par with Frost tree to play with. Now it's simply more or less a dead tree.

5) Make Death Knights' skill "Raise Ally" a 100% health and mana one or least a glyph for it. For a Hero class with a 20% Battle Resurrection? That's just purely miserable and sad.

What spells do you use the least?

Dark Simulacrum. Useful for PvP but totally pointless for boss fights in raids.
Edited by Deathastray on 9/12/2011 12:36 PM PDT
85 Troll Death Knight
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PVE

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids and heroic raids

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Feeling like i have to work harder than other tanks just to stay alive on normal encounters or normal heroics

# What makes playing your class more fun?
being able to survive with massive self healing as a tank, and being able to put out the dps numbers in heroic dungeons.

# What makes playing your class less fun?
dying to randomness gcd or being cought inbetween death strikes

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
the rotation would be fine if runic empowerment was not there, as posted before it causes more problems than it solves no blood dk in his right mind would use those unholy and frost runes for heart strike or Blood boil unless there is 0% chance of death, and in raids, thats just not gonna happen.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?
Rework blood shield, in raid encounters it does not scale properly on some fights on hard hitting fights it does not even compare to block, I still love the prospect of being a dodge parry monster but it does get me killed from RNG and ive found that blood shield just doesnt provide the midigation i need inbetween those dp unless i get hit 3 times in a row and somehow survive so the blood shield goin up is for 70k

# What spells do you use the least?[/quote]
Dark simulacrum, in raids it is completly pointless, you can steal next to nothing in raids, or if you do it deal next to no damage so u cant take advantage of it, nerfing one of the class mechanics of DKs that was added in cata
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
* What type of content do you focus on?

Both

* If PvE, what type of PvE?

Old world dungeons and raids, mainly BC and some wrath content. I do this for fun, rep, cool looking items and whatnot. No point to run current non-raid content with my pvp gear being superior to anything I could get. No point to farm cata stuff either, nothin to farm, just sit in the capital city - kinda sad. I used to do more vanilla content, but Ony and ZG got taken away, and the other stuff changed a little bit too much - I feel a bit alienated but I guess you had to do what you had to do... You know, you guys will never make vanilla servers because it would be like saying all the stuff that came after wasn't good or moving forward, ok. But, I think this applies backwards too, removing old content by deletion or recycling, takes away from the game, erodes the mountain that the current content is built on.

* If PvP, what type of PvP?

If I had to pick what I liked the most, it'd be world pvp. I like responding to the localdefense. I also like wintergrasp above all of the other battlegrounds, old-school AV aside.

I do 2v2 arenas every week with a warrior partner, just enough for points. This season is all about what comp you have. It sucks to lose to a bad team due to lack of balance (granted I know you don't balance around 2v2, but it's a little overwhelming atm) and also arena maps that always favor non-melee classes. Give us a pit!

I still do bgs, but not as often. They just aren't much fun, some of them have little pvp (IoC and AV), and there's not much incentive for JP.

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

Inability to heal, for specs besides blood, deathstrike is all but useless.

Having to be in blood presence for the shield is too limiting. For Blood, dancing rune weapon takes too much rp; I start a fight, use runes to build rp, but then my runes are on cd - if i cast it then, it'll just be imitating my autoattack, if i cast runestrike to hope for an instant rune regen, then i might not have enough rp to cast it... To get the most out of it, it's just tedious.

If I go dual wield, then I'm stuck with frost pres and being a slow poke again...

Plate used = tough.

Constantly casting horn of winter is silly. Reminds me somewhat of oldschool pally'ing - which you changed.

I feel locked in to fallen crusader, though it is great. I wish there could be something more to deal with disarms, since we can't get chains.

Cast time on hungering cold. We're an instant strike class, if anything change the spell, not the cast time.

* What makes playing your class more fun?

I like using glyphed howling blast on a bunch of people. I like riding and running fast. Blood spec is nice for solo'ing old content. I like instant strikes. I like doing a lot of damage assuming I don't die.

* What makes playing your class less fun?

Frost DK's are like paper tigers, and it's pretty easy to shut them down. Dismantle, disarm, snares, freezes, stuns. Maybe I can trinket out of one of them, use anti-magic before getting frost nova'ed - but mages have like 3 of them! Besides shooting off howling blast and deathcoil, when you get rooted you just sit there. Maybe you can deathgrip+chains of ice a guy and hit him once or twice, but you're still pretty much screwed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd be alright doing less damage if I could survive a bit better. Maybe I should pvp as blood? Well, first you have to be in blood pres so you can't run fast. Deathstrike is useless if you can't hit someone (range/missing/parries/deflect/invuln...) and typically, even in blood is a weak heal. In 2v2, people just ignore you and kill your buddy first, and then you. Blood doesn't seem to have enough utility to make it pvp viable. You don't die fast, but you don't do much of anything else either.

* How do you feel about your “rotation”?

Frost: It's ok, feels like whack-a-gnome. I don't like certain non-strike abilites use a sole rune and muck everything up (strangulate, death and decay, pillar of ice...). 30s outbreak will be nice. Maybe a little too dependent on luck.
Blood: Deathstrike runes become death runes, but why? It happens quite a bit that I see heartstrike is up, and nothin else, and I just cast it thinking i'm wasting it by letting it sit - but really it's just an odd deathrune and now i've just wasted it. The talented free blood boils just feel clunky and weak too, why not a free pestilence or reset the outbreak cd. Bloodboil I guess is just weak, I think I miss more disease centered tanking.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?

Being able to heal again. Being tougher in nonblood specs.

Bring back the bees! I miss the original unholy blight.

* What spells do you use the least?

blood strike, festering strike. In frost I barely ever use deathstrike anymore, and that's a big sigh...
90 Worgen Death Knight
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both

both, i consider pve my mainspec but now that there is no need to farm rep, valor, etc. i just raid 3 nights a week and if i log on the rest of the week i farm or do random bgs.

raids only, i may do an occational random za/zg on one of my alts but i hate pugs it can take over an hour to do a za/zg with a bad group, which it feels like i always get stuck in one

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

bgs, arena(sometimes) i love rated bgs but my guild hasnt been able to coordinate a day so we havent done any this new tier

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

rune starvations, it never fails everytime i get a KM proc and have 3-4-5 sec cds and have to waste it on a frost strike.

a priority system as opposed to just a basic rotation, a nice hard hitting mechanic(obliterate)i think everyone likes to see big crits as dps goes.

being so overnerfed that unholy just wasnt up to par with other melee, nor close enough to frost dmg that it forced soo many good dks to switch to frost, and then you also broke(nerfed) 2-handed frost to its even less than unholy, so not many switch between unholy to frost as they use different weapons.

RNG,RNG,RNG frost dks have the worst rng of any main spec dps class that i know of, and no fire mage is not main spec arcane is.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

i like i can apply diseases via outbreak and the death rune change makes it feel so much more smooth and less oh i need to use these weak abilities to apply disease or convert runes.

PVP: so casual pve players can still get valor capped for the week by running randoms, yet for pvp one can only earn 25 conquest a day which is pretty crappy, you should have every win earns 25 no daily cap, but put a weekly cap just lower than the arena and rated bg cap, that would encourage a lot more people to run bgs for better gear and as they get better gear may decide to do more rated bgs, arena, etc.

PVE:less rng for frost, and a buff for unholy to bring it back to being competetive.
Mostly, having us being more competetive dps wise as to not be beat by 10k dps from a spriest i understand muti-dotting but they even blow us away on tank-n-spank fights, this is world of casterclysym

army of the dead-its soo weak it really hasnt scalled at all, its doing about the same damage as when i was level 80. and its a long cast time wasting 3 runes, so i figure it to be a waste of dps to pre-pop it before the pull, as this just messes up my initial rotation to get into my priority system, for a mediocare 100k damage, i can do 2 oblitz for that much dmg. it needs a big buff, also a 10min cd really? thats terrible, get rid of the rune cost and cast time and buff it by at least 2.5x what its doing now and give it a say 5min cd

blood strike-isnt used for frost or unholy dks ever. death strike use to be a good oh crap button, but after its nerf its soo weak no-one bothers to use it in raids.

dark simulcrum-this was a great idea that failed to be used in pve, specially in raids.

blood caked blade has always been a dps ability, yet in cata you moved it to blood tree outta reach of both frost and unholy dks. this is a major oversight IMO move it back up to the top of the tree enabling both unholy and frost dks to grab it as an option.
Edited by Gates on 9/12/2011 3:15 PM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight
#What type of content do you focus on?
PvE -- primarily raid tanking

#What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Three of my major issues are being removed in 4.3: Blade Barrier, Outbreak's 1m CD, and Death Strike (DS) failing to land. However, there are others still.

Blood requires addons to monitor its mastery and to maximize its effectiveness. Given how crucial that is, this really needs to be included in the baseline UI.

Survivability cooldowns shouldn't compete with other survivability cooldowns nor mastery abilities; Bone Shield's cost directly competes with DS, Dancing Rune Weapon's 60 RP cost indirectly competes with Runic Empowerment (RE)->DS.

Lichborne should be clarified more for newcomers. It is not intuitive that you can use Death Coil on yourself during its duration.

Death Pact is on the global cooldown, making it awkward to use in high-damage scenarios around DS.

RE as a mechanic. It's confusing to newcomers, and it's not an effective way to restore runes for tanking given that we don't even want blood runes. Tanks need reliability. RE is the opposite, and consecutive lacks of procs are punishing, but more importantly, frustrating.

#What makes playing your class more fun?
Pushing the class to its limit and being accordingly rewarded.

#What makes playing your class less fun?
Pushing the class to its limit and not being accordingly rewarded.

Backwards and unintuitive mechanics. Avoidance penalizes mastery. External shields penalize mastery. Mastery penalizes itself. There is no reason why our "block" should suffer because we avoided an attack, partially "blocked" a previous attack, or because a discipline priest shielded us. RE gaming to maximize damage reduction does not flow naturally. It swings between periods of dead-time and chaos when all your runes are lining up at once. The only part of every encounter that I watch is my rune bar. That's unfortunate.

Playing in the 3-shot realm makes the class very stressful when out of the blue you can just die at no fault of your own. Random tank deaths are not fun. Outside that realm, being the spike tank is not fun. Healers hate spike damage. The model worked more or less fine back when "triage" still existed, but tank damage is back to WotLK levels and keeping the tank at 100% every instant is necessary in heroic raiding.

Fully absorbing an attack with DS and then taking 3 fully unmitigated hits afterward is not fun. Spread the absorb out.

#How do you feel about your “rotation”?
The rotation is complex, but very punishing. Pressing Heart Strike accidentally on a death rune has serious consequences. On a related note, because of how Blood Rites works, newcomers (or frost/unholy DKs) are trapped into thinking that they should DS->Heart Strike x2. That is the norm with the other two specs--press a strike as a gateway to your main strike. That is not the case with Blood.

The rotation is also too daunting. Newcomers are frequently intimidated by the numerous, numerous ins-and-outs and tricks that can be employed for a survivability gain.

There is very little incentive to liberally "time" DS, despite that being the major unique part of Blood. It's a small gain that usually can be outweighed by pushing out as many DS's as you can. Waiting puts extra stress on your healers and can waste runes.

#What’s on your wish list for your class?
Raid utility. I'll admit we have a BR, but that's useful only when someone fails. I do not like my only raid utility being based on other people failing.

An incentive to use blood runes. RE, and the fact that they contribute no survivability whatsoever, is why we don't. Replacing RE with just about anything is better.

Stats not penalizing other stats.

Mastery not being fully frontloaded leaving us to eat unmitigated strikes between DS's.

#What spells do you use the least?
Blood Strike, Blood Boil, Necrotic Strike, Festering Strike, Dark Simulacrum, Empower Rune Weapon (5m CD is steep), and Army of the Dead (3 rune cost is steep).
Edited by Euliat on 9/12/2011 6:59 PM PDT
90 Tauren Death Knight
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

PVE RAID /TANK
I think Dk tank are very weak with tank physical damage boss. cause DK armor are lowest in four tank. almost lesser 9000armor than warrior and pally tank. lesser 12000armor than durid tank. (all 4 tank equipped T12) . I asked for lots of healer ,they said:" healing dk are so troublesome and hard." cause armor are lower. AS a Blood DK,the abilities I use are:
- Death Strike
- Rune Strike
- Heart Strike
- Death and Decay
- Bone Shield
- Icebound Fortitude
- Anti-Magic Shell
- Death Grip
- Horn of Winter
- Dark Command
AS use death strike , will get blood shield, but still not useful for the boss that physical damage are high. The problem is easy to solve .Change [Runeforging: Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle2%stamina and 4% armor ] that was L80 until now L85 ,BLIZZARD didnot change in L85. OR Change[ Blood presence 8% stamina 30% armor and 8% reduce damage].
I play dk tank are not happy, In raid, the raidleader prefer others 3 tank ( warrior pally and durid) cause dk tank are weak. when do heroic mode they mose like pally tank or warrior tank.
that's my personal opinion.
Thank you for reading this.

80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Heroics Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP?
bgs
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
none

Using undead minions and spreading disease.

Having to mash buttons frantically. There needs to be more downtime in the dps specs for them to make meaningful choices.
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) For tanking it's all about death strike. I actually wish that blood shield would be decoupled from death strike so death strike would be more reactive while blood shield becomes defensive. Frost and unholy both need more downtime in the rotations. Rp abilities are used too much and dark transformation is too much of an unholy dks damage. Reduce the stacks and reduce the buff.

Remove the 1 second gcd. Make RP abilities hit harder and Cost more.
make some use for blood strike. Make presences matter more. A frost dk should never be playing in unholy presence. put a cooldown on razorice procs and make it worthwhile for a 2h frost dk to use.
Blood strike frost presence
85 Orc Death Knight
Primarily PvP, with PvE content on the side. As many of the posters have already covered PvE, I will be commenting on PvP.

Raids and dungeons

I focus on Rated BGs, but I participate in Arenas as well.

As many have mentioned before, Runic Empowerment isn't something any death knight can rely on and it often leaves us in a dead zone with nothing to do other than white damage.

The amount of pressure a death knight can put on any class in the game is extremely satisfying. Frost DK's have a lack of mobility compared to Unholy, but the amount of burst makes up for it. We have just as much, if not more, mobility as the other plate dps classes. Spec'ing into Chilblains and rooting my target for 3 seconds was the best change I've seen thus far.

A few have mentioned this already as well. With the nerf to Hungering Cold in 4.2, it seems unfair to force all Frost DKs to waste a talent point in it to open Howling Blast. Hungering Cold is practically useless. It's not completely useless because on the rare occasion when we're not being focused, we can catch our opponents off guard and get a cast off. Unfortunately, with the addons available right now, every experienced player is alerted the instant any death knight begins casting Hungering Cold.

Glyph of Dark Succor - Yes it was overpowered last patch, but removing it completely was excessive.

Usage of Obliterate in PvP - Maybe having it ignore x % of target's armor to make it viable in PvP again? Currently, the only time Obliterate is viable is 2h frost when the target is below 35% with a Killing Machine proc. Aside from that rare instance, Frost Strike does almost as much damage.

For some unknown reason, death knights take considerably more damage than an Arms warrior or a Ret pally. When I stack resil, I have 4636 resil and I still take more damage than my Arms warrior friend who uses 3900 resil. I spec into Blade Barrier and change into Blood Presence, but to no avail. This is probably why death knights are always the kill target in arenas.

As mentioned in many posts above, Runic Empowerment is finicky at best. As a frost dk, we already have to base our damage on Killing Machine procs and now we have to factor in the chance we'll get one of our runes refreshed from a Frost Strike. Still, while this is random, I enjoy it. I like being able to improvise my attacks on the fly. I HATED the WOTLK system of a set, exact, rotation. PvP's all about being spontaneous. There isn't time for a set rotation on a target that's constantly moving away while you're being locked down.
Possible solution: Change Runic Empowerment to work like Unholy's tree or increase the chance of a rune to instantly come back?

- Better survival against the oncoming trains of dps. Maybe more mobility in frost spec?

- Blood Strike. It's been mentioned many times already.
- Frost Presence. The bigger hits aren't big enough to choose Frost Presence over Unholy in PvP.
- Plague Strike as a Frost DK. Obliterate isn't used in PvP so using Plague Strike to apply Blood Plague never happens. It might be viable if Death Strike was based on the amount of diseases on target.
- Rune Strike is often overlooked, but a guaranteed hit is awesome if it would do more damage. With the amount of mitigation in PvP, Rune Strike is just as useless as Blood Strike unless you're a flag carrier using a blood spec. It would be nice to see Rune Strike dealing as much damage as an Arms warrior's Overpower in other specs since they're practically the same skill with the same requirements to use.
Edited by Dìnk on 9/12/2011 1:00 PM PDT
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on?

PVE - Raiding, Heroic content.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

Weapons drop from trash and have to be upgraded through a rare drop item. The idea is great for relics... horrid for weapons.
RNG of "Runic Empowerment" as dw frost.
Runic Power cost of raise ally.

Flavor. I love the DK lore, and being the vengeful angry elf that killed the lich king after he was turned into an undead killing machine. :)

I think entry level dk tanking can be a turn off for some players. It doesn't currently seem comparable to other tanking classes due to active mitigation (an idea I love btw)

How do you feel about your “rotation”?

Current Frost as played in Unholy feels great for me. I enjoy the fast play of the spec/presence combination.

Blood Boil - Return the wrath animation. (blood explosion'y thing)
Deathchargers - Return the custom animation they had in wrath. (the one with the natural running horse and the non clunky rider)
On a Pale Horse - Move the speed increase into a presence. (preferably whatever frost is using ;) )
Ghoul Naming - Thassarian can name his, we should be able to name ours.
Quests! - Especially with the brewing conflict between the Ebon Blade and Slyvannas. There is a fair amount of room there to flesh out some more lore and perhaps provide a few more dk themed items to bring them closer to the sets/items available to other classes.
Transmogging Legendaries - If you're going to say these items aren't available for transmogging then weapons like Quel'delar, Rhok'delar, Benediction and anything else relatively unique shouldn't be allowed either. When it comes down to it, it just doesn't make sense to not to allow their artwork to be used on current items.

Dark Simulacrum - While I understand its use in PVP and the occasional fun ability to steal in a PVE 5 man situation, it doesn't stand up to some other level 85 abilities as far as usability in a raid environment. (ie. spriritwalkers grace)
Anti-Magic Zone - Speccing down through Magic Supression to nab this spell is something many won't do. While the link looks logical it generally isn't taken except for specific use scenarios. Make it an individual talent.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

PVE

Raids/Heroic Raids

-Nothing comes to mind right now.

-To be perfectly honest, in my opinion this class has gotten less and less fun since it was released at the beginning of WOTLK (and no, it has nothing to do with being overpowered at launch... though that was awesome).

-What originally drew me to the class was the "flavor". Being able to summon an unholy plague of insects (via Unholy Blight's original design) to surround my Death Knight and attack his enemies was awesome. Sometimes combat would end before the effect and I would just be standing there surrounded by the swarm of insects, it made me think I had a thousand little minions waiting to attack at my command... it was a very fun button to push. Now it's just an automatic effect that does some of death coil's damage. Bleh.

-Raise ally was cool, if all but useless ( I do like the combat rez redesign though. We traded flavor for utility).

-Army of the dead is an awesome idea that I just don't think was given enough attention. It's a long cooldown that we press before every fight for a dps incease. Boring. It's channel time makes it a dps loss to use in all but very specific situations and the long cooldown makes it just seem like something to press when i think about it rather than a legit dps cooldown like gargoyle.

-I realize that abilities can sometimes be too powerful and need to be changed. However, simply redesigning it or outright removing it (R.I.P. Shadow of Death) just dulls down the class to the point of making me wonder why even play it at all. I think a disturbing trend for the game overall, especially the Death Knight class, has been to sacrifice fun/flavor/whatever in the name of this elusive "balance" that everyone seems to disagree on.

-For the most part I think the change to the runes and addition of runic empowerment/corruption was great- I love having open globals now. Each spec plays differently and causes me to pay attention to different things. As far as rotation goes, you guys are doing quite well in my opinion.

-More fun spell-like abilties. 90% of the buttons I press seem to be one strike or another. Unholy's Dark Transformation talent is a great example of the type of fun "flavor" abilities I am talking about. Way to go on that one.

-Army of the dead, Empower Rune Weapon (mostly because I forget I even have it), Blood Strike, blood boil.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

Both, more PvE than PvP though.

10man Raiding

Random Battlegrounds and " World PvP "

Not being able to cross a room/field, etc quickly enough. If a add spawns on the other side of the room that I have to dps ( in the event than I'm dpsing ) I have no way to increase my speed to get over there aside from Unholy Presence. Rogues have Sprint, Paladins are a little better off with Long Arm of the Law and Warriors have Heroic Leap + Charge.

I like the lore behind the class and I've always liked darker feeling characters/classes over the normal goodie goodie two shoes save the world classes like Paladins and Priests. ( Some favorite fictional characters being Vergil Sparda - Devil May Cry 3, Nightmare - Soul Calibur II and Darth Vader - Episodes IV, V, VI ) I also like cutting things with a huge sword.

As far as class mechanics are concerned, I like Death Knights for the fact that we don't have to worry about mana, we don't have a cast time on any of our damage dealing abilities and I've always liked the visual effects that accompany Death Knight abilities. Death and Decay is a personal favorite.

Runic Empowerment. Runic Corruption is what I feel should have been used instead. It can be very inconvenient and disheartening to see my dps drop like a rock because I went through a full Runic Power bar and didn't get a single proc. While on the other hand, sometimes I can't get it to stop proccing and I dps like a madman. Unfortunately, this mechanic leads to Frost ( Moreso Dual Wield Frost ) to get starved often enough to where I'm left sitting there angry at this random ability being the key to my success or failure and there's nothing I can do about it.

Unholy is pretty much perfect aside from Dark Transformation needing 5 stacks. That should be lowered to 3. Two-Handed Frost is too fast paced and spammy. With the removal of Blood dps, and the bug-fix on Killing Machine off-hand procs, DKs have no slow-hard hitting spec. Everything feels like a race to keep my abilities on cooldown and if I mess up even ever so slightly, I lose a couple thousand dps.

Raise Ally - Runic Power cost removed, minor glyph added to raise the ally with 100% hp and mana
Ghoul - Fix crit scaling bug
Two-Handed Frost - Make it so this spec runs in Frost Presence while NOT being GCD capped
Gnaw - Removed from the GCD
Death Pact - Removed from the GCD
Blood DPS - Please bring this back. You stripped us of 2 Tanking specs and a Dps spec for Cataclysm and in the eyes of a lot of players, made the Rune system not fun. Feral has a Dps and a Tank spec in one tree and they lost nothing for Cataclysm. Can we have Blood DPS back please?

Dark Simulacrum, Blood Strike, Army of the Dead, Blood Boil
Edited by Volké on 9/12/2011 12:46 PM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight
PvE
Heroics / Raids

Death Knight weapon Runes getting a buff tank wise

For Unholy Wandering Plague was alot of fun
Blood has improved a ton as a tank spec so that's fun

Being so RNG for every spec.
needing a far amount of hit / expertise to max death strikes survival effectiveness.
Unholys crit scaling for crap to abilities

Blood really don't have one other than keep blood runes on cd for blade barrier and dots up as much as you can.
unholys isn't bad.
frost is to RNG

Having Wandering Plague returned to unholy reworked maybe per dot tick has X% chance to proc it that way it would scale with haste and old school Unholy Blight returned

Blood Strike

90 Worgen Death Knight
I do both PvE and PvP

I try to do a little of everything but my schedule makes it hard to

I do a small amount of Arena's and I often do BGs

Death knights not being able to use shields

A rotation that makes you think more but its not too complicated

Having to constantly re-gem and and enchant

As a tank, i feel that there isnt a really "set in stone" rotation, there are ideas but nothing that should be done absolutely

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973250733
This kid has some great ideas, some of the abilities may be a bit off on percentages and damage but he's on the right track

Dark Simulacrum, since most of the spells stolen from npcs do horrible damage such as 60, though some do really well, and Festering strike again as tank keeping my diseases up is important but festering strike seems to make the diseases last only a short time more, not worth the rune cd. Army of the dead also seems to be almost useless...its got the 10 minute cd time and the ghouls do very little damage compared to where a mage gets 3 copies and they can burn like no tomorrow.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]PvP

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]BGs

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. runes regenerate to slow I would like to see a small up in the speed they regenerate or maybe if you have 2 unholy runes on cooldown make them both cooling down not one cooling and one waiting to cool or maybe let us buy more runes 3 more runes and pick what once to put in those 3 slots so a unholy could put all 3 as unholy if he/she so wishes

What makes playing your class more fun? I like the mix of melee and ranged magic

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) I think my rotation is great :D

What’s on your wish list for your class? OH I don't know maybe some new minions so we can be like what minion should I use for this fight. they could be like banshees as a caster like the succubus is for the warlock, an armored skeleton for like a questers tank like a bear is for a hunter, and some type of ghost for stealth. I don't know I'm just trying to come up with some idea I'm over all happy with DK's as a whole.

What spells do you use the least? the DK rez I have never used that at all I think its cool but I never us it Also army of the dead it has to long a cooldown and uses to many runes for not that big a pay off they don't last long when they aren't killed off, they are killed to fast and don't do as much damage as they should I think this would be better if it was more like that pally "Guardian of Ancient Kings" the warlocks Guardians or the mages "Mirror Image" also making it an instant like the "Raise Dead" spell would be great its hard to find a good time to stop fighting to channel it and makes is just not I good spell in the long run I have stopped to cast it and had them all killed before i was done I have been killed casting it had the run out before i got to fight (casting it before a fight) but most of the time they get killed as I cast it
Edited by Dullohan on 9/12/2011 1:27 PM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
1.What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both.

2.If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Heroics, end-game raiding/progression.

3.If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Arenas, BGs.

4.What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
DPS: Deadzones when RP is out and all runes are on cd as well as RP generating abilities on CD as well (Horn of winter).

5.What makes playing your class more fun?
The feel of being a battle-mage more or less. Pretty much being a melee-dps class that has a lot of their dmg based on elemental damage is a nice change to just the usual straight-up "all my damage is physical" kind of playstyle.

6.What makes playing your class less fun?
Clunky rotation (to an extent). DPS will be incredibly smooth for a while, and then resources will cap out and a few dead zones will hit every now and then where I can't do anything else besides auto-attack.

7.How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
For the most part it seems fine, but like i've mentioned before a few times at one point or another a DK can/will become rp/rune starved and have a dead zone. From personal experience DPSing as a frost, this only occurs when you stack haste and run in unholy presence which is the current dps maximizing setup.

8.What’s on your wish list for your class?
-Make Frost Presence viable/ideal for frost dps instead of having Frost DKs running around in unholy presence.
-Try to differentiate dps playstyles by making mastery more attractive (to an extent) so that going haste-heavy or mastery-heavy is more of a choice instead of having one of the two stats being vastly superior.

9.What spells do you use the least?
Icy touch. Glyphed HB basically makes IT useless for Frost DKs.
85 Troll Death Knight
Been waiting a long time for this.

•What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvE

•If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids

•If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
N/A

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
I’m not sure Death Knights have any such issues. There are no minor reagent costs to abilities anymore (Corpse Dust, guffaw), or such things. The problems we have are definitely more in the realm of mechanics and design. Most minor annoyances were taken care of in the transition from Wrath to Cata, thankfully.

Oh, wait. I thought of one. Outbreak initially was unable to miss. At some point during one of the bug fix and balance patches for 4.1, it was spontaneously changed to be allowed to miss (and coincidentally this was never mentioned in any patch notes). This is extremely obnoxious for an ability with a one minute cooldown. Best option is to buff the spell hit on Runic Focus more or else make Nerves of Cold Steel buff spell hit, since this is only really an issue with DW Frost.

•What makes playing your class more fun?
What I like about Death Knights the most I would have to say is the resource system. Resources systems are probably the things that differentiate classes the most. Casters all feel very much the same to me because it’s simply a “you have mana, so the only thing that constrains you is Damage per Action.” In the same way Feral kitties and Rogues are basically the same thing. You could just say Ferals are a fourth rogue talent tree, and then change all the game art to gray boxes, no one would be able to tell you different.

Also I really love the AMS cooldown. It’s one of the things that makes DKs different from other classes because no everyone is capable of negating some random debuff that needs to be dispelled or taking the edge off of a random heavy damage boss AoE or ability. Smart AMS usage is one of the things that makes a good DK good.

This becomes somewhat hard to answer if taken to the next level of “What makes playing your spec more fun.” I’m a diehard Frost player. I used to like Blood DPS too in Wrath, and I’ve never really enjoyed Unholy. The thing that makes Frost fun right now is simply that I enjoy Death Knights the most out of any class and I enjoy DPS out of any role, and I very much dislike Unholy.

What I really loved about Blood DPS in Wrath was the flavor of the huge burst you got when you used all your cooldowns, each of which were pretty fun themselves. Dancing Rune Weapon in particular is one of my favorite abilities in-game even though now it’s just a mediocre tanking cooldown. Even so it retains the flavor it had. Your weapon starts to fight on it’s own, mimicking the attacks your character does. It’s not some silly mirror image clone, it’s actually like you have a second character attacking (and watching a floating weapon attack is just pretty fun). Raise Ghoul for Frost and Blood is kind of a fun ability simply because you just summon the thing and let it go wild. Minions and guardians you don’t have to manage are amusing DPS cooldowns that you just have to pick the right time to use. They can all be made different from each other by what they do once they’re summoned so they’re more interesting than a simple “you do x% more damage for y seconds” cooldown. Speaking of which, I know that’s exactly what Hysteria was, but it was interesting simply because you could use it to exacerbate the awesome fun of Dancing Rune Weapon, or you could cast it on someone else who bribed you with gold, or cast it on them after decimate and watch them die! I also really loved Blood’s self-healing as a DPS. It meant that healers didn’t need to worry about you as much as the other DPS and kind of gave you a feeling of independence within a crowd of people who absolutely depended on the healers to survive a fight. You also felt like you were taking a little bit of stress off the healers too by being able to heal yourself as you DPSed.

Next post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3123369466?page=12#239
Edited by Nijeak on 9/12/2011 5:03 PM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
1. What type of content do you focus on?

PvE

2. If PvE, what type of PvE?

Heroic raid content

3. What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

- Inconsistent balance between Frost and Unholy.
- I enjoy the fact that we have a battle rez but highly dislike that there's an RP cost, a 30 yard range, and that it ressurects with 20% of their HP/MP.
- Pillar of Frost should not have a rune requirement.
- Frost has too much RNG that determines how much damage we do.
- The use of the 3 presences is the same as it was in WotLK. Tanks use one and DPS uses one. Frost should either be reworked or merged together somehow as one presence.

4. What makes playing your class more fun?

- Having the option to choose between balanced specs.
- Having interesting abilities to use during our rotation.
- The interaction between our multi-resource system and our ghoul.
- The uniqueness of our runeforges.
- Blood Tap is slightly frustrating to use in our rotations.

5. What makes playing your class less fun?

The balance between Unholy and Frost's damage has been terrible. Each patch or class change brings either Frost or Unholy on top leaving us theorycrafting/maximizers to side with one spec and that spec only.

6. How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I feel that Unholy's rotation is fine where it's at although it can become a bit ridiculous with the amount of Death Coils we're forced to use and how quick and often we cap and overcap RP. The ramp up time for Dark Transformation should be shorter. Additionally, I think there should be more interaction and synergy with the ghoul.

Frost's rotation is a bit wonky. The amount of RNG that goes into our rotation makes it less enjoyable. For example, Killing Machine procs are often wasted on Frost Strike when we prioritize it for Obliterate or sometimes Rime procs are so low that we have to use a rune to keep Frost Fever up. Our damage is heavily dependent on how good our RNG is and if we can pair most of our KM procs with obliterate rather than FS.

7. What’s on your wish list for your class?

- Balance between Frost and Unholy.
- Better Pet AI.
- Better battle-rez. Give us a glyph that increases the range, lowers the cost, and increases the amount of HP/MP the target is raised with.
- Make crit more useful for Frost.
- More flavor abilities for Frost.
- Meaningful major glyphs for both specs.
- Better survival. Death Strike for DPS specs is pretty useless.

8. What spells do you use the least?

Dark Simulacrum - I was extremely excited to see this ability in alpha but was sorely disappointed that it has had no use whatsoever in release besides PvP. I believe it was mentioned by GC that they were introducing these flavor abilities so that we can have some fun inbetween GCD gaps but that didn't happen with this ability.

Army of the Dead - I feel as if this ability should be buffed in a way that gives it more use and makes it fun overall. Some suggestions are to lower the rune requirement (or erase it), lowering the cooldown, and making it instant so we can throw it into our rotation. The army should do different things depending on our spec.

Hungering Cold - I believe this talent should either be optional so we don't have to waste talent points on something we aren't going to use or reworked to have some use in a raid setting.

Blood Strike - Blood of the North, Heart Strike, and Festering Strike has made this a dead ability that is no longer used by any spec.
Edited by Skullflower on 9/12/2011 1:26 PM PDT
85 Troll Death Knight
Previous Post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3123369466?page=12#237

Frost as it is currently it pretty fun in AoE because you get to go wild with Howling Blast spam, but the single-target priority has suffered a lot since ICC. To be honest my favorite time for Frost was when your biggest concern was churning out Frost Strikes. I didn’t like spamming IT and PS to fuel that, but I did like the bigger focus on RP dumping. After that time passed, ICC was probably the most solid Frost DPS has been as far as the feel of the spec is concerned. The only thing I hated was Rime procs being ignored because Howling Blast didn’t do enough damage single-target at the time to use it unless there were a ton of adds. Regardless there was much more thought to the spec then than there is now. As it stands Frost is probably a bit too easy and mindless.

I don’t have any fun as Unholy, so I’m moving on!

•What makes playing your class less fun?
RNG. What do I mean? Too many elements of Frost are influenced by chance. During t11 when 2h was preferred over DW, it was largely due to Might of the Frozen wastes helping to minimize the influence of RNG because it gave a more consistant flow of RP. This meant that if you didn’t have very many Rime or RE procs you weren’t dead in the water because you at least had all that extra RP to fall back on and Frost Strike with. The actual DPS difference between 2h and DW wasn’t that big, and DW actually had higher potential DPS. The nerf to MotFW for 4.2 wouldn’t have done much to change this but the mistake was made to allow Killing Machine to proc from off-hand attacks (reverting a change made long ago to combat shadowfrost, if I recall), which basically made DW flat out better without and brought us back to a spec that suffered much more from RNG. So now what happens when Rime doesn’t proc, or RE doesn’t proc? We sit around with nothing to do for a few globals.

Now, I realize that the initial goal for DKs in Cata was to give us more free GCDs (and I’m sure you know already that that goal didn’t pan out at all), but the fact is most of us hate free GCDs. They don’t feel good. If we’re not doing something with each GCD we’re loosing DPS, so we hate it. In fact, free GCDs is probably one of the reasons I dislike the energy resource system that rogues and ferals use. Anyway, the RNG we suffer doesn’t just decrease our DPS , but it gives us empty GCDs where we just feel useless, unable to use and ability, losing DPS. It’s aggravating.

The things I don’t like about Unholy? I don’t want to play another pet spec. I played a hunter all through Classic and if I wanted to play a pet spec I would go back to my hunter. The reasons I don’t like Unholy are inconsolable and not really worth discussing because as long as it’s a pet spec I’ll likely never be happy with it, and that’s an unreasonable demand to make because there are plenty who do like it because it’s a pet spec.

•How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Simply put, it’s too mindless. I think this probably stems from the KM change to affect Oblit and FS rather than FS and IT/HB like it used to. We spam Oblit and FS like mad, and the difference between using KM on either is simply too small for it to matter much. The preference is to use KM on an Oblit, but with the frequency at which KM procs (especially for DW Frost now, holy crap) you don’t want to sit on a KM proc for more than a GCD or two, which basically mean that you don’t do anything different than usual regardless of KM procs. Oblit is priority over KM in the first place so it doesn’t change our ability priority in the least. If KM procs were much less infrequent there would at least be the choice to be made on whether or not you sit on it for a few seconds to wait for runes to come up for an Oblit. If KM was changed back to FS and IT/HB then you would at least have to watch for the procs to make sure you didn’t use them on Rime proc’d HBs unless you were AoEing in which case you would want to use them on HB.

OH HEY SPEAKING OF HOWLING BLAST. What in the world are you thinking keeping it in our single target priority? I thought the point was to take AoE out of single-target rotations and priorities. Simple suggestion: Rime causes IT to do increased damage so that we use that instead. Reduce the primary target damage on HB and raise the ancillary damage so it’s all back to some happy medium and it becomes a strictly AoE spell. Also please fix whatever weird bug got introduced to HB when you added the facing requirement to cast it. I’ll go into that in the wish list section.

Next post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3123369466?page=13#241
Edited by Nijeak on 9/12/2011 1:04 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]