Class Feedback – Death Knight

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Mostly PvE, but I do pvp once in a while.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

heroics, used to raid pre-cata (tank and dps) but haven't gotten back to it yet.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BG's mostly. Used to arena on occasion, but haven't since cata

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

No longer having a viable blood DPS spec is a big disadvantage for me. Though the update to raise ally is pretty nice.

What makes playing your class more fun?

Being able to self-heal (especially when tanking) is very nice, though it's not quite as fun or effective as it used to be.

What makes playing your class less fun?

Not being able to dps as blood. I really miss that. Also, Death and Decay's much longer cooldown makes it less fun/effective

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Unholy is easy enough, and what I do (since I can't be blood). The couple times I tried frost were pretty complicated and "busy".

What’s on your wish list for your class?

Getting blood dps back. Did I mention I miss that?

What spells do you use the least?

Probably chains of ice or death grip as dps (for obvious reasons on the latter).
As tank, I pretty much use them all.
90 Human Death Knight
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE
# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Right now just heroics on my DK, But I am a raider, I was just forced into healing on my druid :)
# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

THe QoL issues for blood are well known so there is no reason to go into it further. For me personally, I personally would so much rather be unholy, but:
1) I think the spec is less rewarding to play personally. It is essentially just scourge strike spam. It gets boring to me rather quickly.
2) Frost just seems to bring more to the table. It doesn't have the ramp up time that unholy has, Howling Blast is amazing burst AoE (Magmaw worms, Bethilac spiderlings, etc.....) It brings the 4% physical damage debuff which is probably the rarest raid debuff to bring. UNholy has the spell damage debuff, but in the realm of 10 mans (what I raid) there is usually a lock or assassination rogue. In the end, as a 10 man raider, I feel forced into frost.
3) I think runic empowered is an utter failure. While less noticable in frost due to the blood of the north changes, it is probably the single most annoying feature for blood. For instance, while the current version of blade barrier is probably outdated, keeping it up isn't that particularly annoying. But having to game your runes, while keeping blade barrier up, in order for runic empowerment to only renew FU runes is part of the QoL issues of blood that make it sucky to play. Spending your whole time staring at your runes instead of the awesome boss fights created is not something that should be strived for.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Tanking with a 2h, a runic system which is very different form every other resource system. And the lore geek in me thinks DKs have the best and strongest class development.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Like I said before, I think the DPS specs are borderline boring, and the tank spec is a micromanaging nightmare.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

See previous answer

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

1) I still really wish there was more PvE uses for Dark Simulacrum. Its such an awesome ability, but too frequently is a waste of action bar space.
2) While I think the moving away from the set rotations of wrath was a good step in making DKs more engaging to play, I still feel it is more boring compared to other classes I have. (Me specifically have a Shadow Priest and feral druid as well. ALthough I also think that feral was more fun in wrath than now, its still more fun to play than Unholy to me)
3) I really wish Timmy didn't seem like such a derp.

# What spells do you use the least?
Edited by Persephon on 9/12/2011 10:26 AM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight
Both

All the above.

Arenas/BGs

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
With the change to the Dark Succor glyph, survivability seems to be a major problem with current damage in PvP. Although I agree that the glyph was overpowered and needed to be changed, the fact remains that it isn't fun to blow 2 cooldowns and die shortly after. In PvE, death strike isn't so important but it is nice to give the healers some breathing room if boss damage output becomes a problem.

The ability to be competitive in both PvE and PvP settings makes my class worthwhile to play. Fun is a subjective term and will be different for everyone. I enjoy all facets of my class including solo play with old raids. As long as I'm in the mix for damage(not necessarily number 1) and can survive long enough to enjoy some PvP I'm a happy camper.

Survivability is my main concern. The way the class plays is fine but it's never fun when you can't survive long enough to enjoy whatever you're doing.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
As an Unholy DK, the rotation is fine. I enjoy the pet control and the pace that unholy sets for myself.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Slight increase to scourge strike damage to be in line with DW frost DKs while not overpowering PvP damage. Change Dark Succor back to 15% and place a small cooldown on it (6 seconds?).

What spells do you use the least? Raise Ally. It's simply too costly to be used as an efficient battle rez when you need it and when you do actually get someone up their health is so low they usually get one shot by some random low grade AoE.
72 Worgen Priest

PvE.

RAIDS AND HEROICS.

READ ABOVE.

JUST BUFF UNHOLY DEATH KNIGHTS, I BEG OF YOU!

I PLAY UNHOLY, I FIND IT THE MOST FUN TO HAVE A PET.

UNHOLY DOES NO WHERE AS MUCH A FROST. WHICH IS UNFAIR! FROST PRESS LIKE 2 BUTTONS FOR 25k DPS WHILE I PRESS A WHOLE ROTATION!

TO BE HONEST THE SHADOW/PHYSICAL PORTION OF OUR DAMAGE NEEDS A SERIOUS BUFFING!!

I WANT UNHOLY DEATH KNIGHTS TO BE BUFFED! 20% STRENGTH DIDNT EVEN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

BLOOD STRIKE I DONT USE AT ALL.

PVE most of the time.

All of it exept heroic raids. I do mostly heroics, dailies, and very rarely raids (though I believe current raids are FINE, I dont raid often due to lack of time)

Most of the time, BGs

some of the absolutely most positive changes made for DKs in cataclysm are (in no particular order) Summon Ghoul not requiring a reagent anymore, Raise Ally being reworked as a battle ress (it was VERY useless in its previous form) Blood of the North providing permanent Death Runes (The rotation for Frost before that was VERY clunky, and often depended on wasting GCDs on an outdated skill that is 100% useless as of cataclysm.) And of course Runic Empowerment is a god-sent blessing. Having runes randomly reload is without a doubt the change I aprove the most in this expansion.

Depends on the spec really, on a general scale, having infinite resources (We never run out of runes, runic power regens fast enough. Unlike Rage-dependant classes, we never are rage-starved, unlike mana classes, we never go OOM no matter how badly we spam a skill)

Spec-wise:

Blood: The blood-shield. It makes tanking a reactive situation for us, rather than luck dependant like the warriors, and pallys (that depend on block) or the druids (that depend on a proc that is triggered by crits). Wether or not Blood-shield is more effective, or just as effective, or less effective than the above, is irrelevant. I consider it more fun, and that's reason enough to love blood tanking.

Also because blood tanks are the GODS of soloing stuff, and I love to solo stuff. Nuff said.

Frost: Hands down, the big crits of KM. The frequency in how it procs, and the rather HUGE numbers from it make this spec feel very bursty powerful, and fun.

Unholy: The perfect synergy between pet and master. We use Death Coil to harm our foes and empower or ghoul, once the ghoul has 5 stacks, it becomes a stronger killer machine. Also, this is the spec that NEVER runs out of runes. Unlike frost that is very RNG dependant, Unholy is more stable, and doesn't require having luck. This spec never runs out of runes due to Runic Corruption, meaning we only have to worry about spaming strikes non-stop.

I'm gonna have to quote "Teetrip" here and say "Roller Coaster changes to spec and the constant fear of changes reducing the utility/ouput of the class through PvP/PvE balance."

Dks have undergone the largest amount of changes in the shortest amount of time than any other class. The fact that since its inception Scourge strike has undergone 6 total revamps is rather telling. Not to mention how Death Strike has undergone a similar treatment. And the general feel of each spec has undergone similar metamorphosis in between patches.

A bit more stability would be welcome, since more often than not, everytime I see a favorable change for the spec, I have to wonder "gee, how long will this last before the nerf hammer comes crashing down?" (Ejem,......... Glyph of death's embrace)

No complaints here, Frost has a pretty solid rotation that can be summed up as "If you have runes, use obli, if you have RP use FS, if rime procced use HB, and if blood plage fell off, use PS"

Unholy has a more stable rotation due to less RNG involved in the spec (again thanks to runic corruption)

90 Worgen Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on?

I do mainly PvE, progression raiding. I also like to PvP and would like to do more PvP, specifically rated BGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
I really want an easier way to experience all aspects of WoW, as a raider, I have two specs, one that I use for single boss and another that I use for AoE situations. I would like to be able to easily switch between, my chosen specs, a tanking spec (as my off), and a PvP spec. Having to respec all of the time actually has negatively affected (deceased) the likelihood that I will do activities in the game that are outside of my primary spec. I know, asking for more specs...but, it would improve my quality of life in-game.

Also, minor issue, but still...when I was running unholy, and had a full-time ghoul, it would be nice to be able to name him (like the hunters get to name their pets)...but, this is a minor issue.

Finally, in firelands, both frost and UH are middle of the road damage. I do not have to be at the top of the meters all of the time, but the idea of a "hero class" tied with the fact that we only are tanks or melee would suggest that we would bring in more firepower as compared to druids (kitty) or Ret pally. In fact, maybe the designation of hero class could be that we would not suffer the same costs associated with class flexibility. So, imo, Rogues, Hunters, and Locks all should be at the top of DPS meters, because that is ALL they can do, dps. Warriors, and other classes that can DPS or do something else (tank/heal) would be second tier, and those that have the most utility (druids/Pally), would have an, overall, lower DPS output (of course, this is assuming that everything else is equal) because they can heal, tank, and dps. So for a DK, which could tank or DPS, the costs of having utility wouldn't apply because they are "hero class" toons. Working hard and yet only floating in the middle of the pack, well, it isn't very heroic.

Well, I like doing things...not just pressing a button and waiting. I also like being able to do a little ranged and a little melee. In both cases (as compared to the other classes I have played) the DK does this well.

Rune lock! (see above). I know resource management is important. But even if I am spot on, there are points in fight where I have to sit and wait. I also agree that the newer abilities added need to be refined. As another person mentioned, waiting for runic power to raise dead really isn't helpful. In addition, the Dark Simulacrum was supposed to be this really cool spell that would make playing the DK even more fun! Well...there is really no real application of this spell in raids (dungeons, yes, but not in end-game content). Shouldn't this be addressed?

I like to think, as a frost DK you have to pay attention, think, manage...all good things. The lack of a rotation and having to determine what the right choice is at a given moment is something I think should be kept as a priority. UH, is a little dumbed down, cruise control rotation based spec. If that is useful to some players, keep it in (and they should produce slightly less dps as well).

To really rise as the hero class that we are. Since all of the wrath baby DKs are phasing out and those that truly enjoy the class (playstyle and lore) are left. We should be considered as viable and leaders in the damage aspect of the game.

Which spells do you use the least?
Hard one to say, lots are not on my spell bar, but that is just a function of spec. Of the ones that I think I should use (for frost spec) I am really let down by the lack of the utilization of Dark Sim.
90 Tauren Death Knight

PVE

RAIDS

RNG - has too much effect on dps

Loved the class since wotlk beta, enjoy the multi resource dynamic, 2h tanking is fun.

I miss some of the flavor we used to have, corpse explosion - flavor - should have just been made more useful. DW Frost seems like rogue in plate, doesn't really seem death knightly. Army of Dead damage is a joke, now its just a damage mitigation tool.

Again, too much reliance on RNG for killing machine etc, damage variance is too large.

Make 2h DPS competitive again, DW being viable is fine, but class ability should match design.

Necrotic Strike
Blood Strike

More uses for RP. Understand that RP works almost the same way as combo points do for druids and rogues. They use their main skills to do damage, and then use their combo points either to do more damage, or add some utility to their rotation.

But what do Dks have to spend their Runic power? (Other than 2 CDs?) Runic Strike if blood, Frost strike if frost, Death Coil if unholy. Having other uses for Runic Power would be welcome. A buff, or a debuff, or a dot, ect. Alternatives.

Also, (and in this some will agree some will disagre) Dks need a CC. We are almost the only class that doesn't have one. (warriors are in a similar spot)

Also, and this is my biggest wish so far: Decouple Howling Blast from Hungering Cold.

HC used to be semi-useful for me (Remember, I dont pvp much) but now its a completely useless spell, and I feel cheated having to waste a valuable talent point on it just to get a skill vital to my rotation (HB) just have HC trade places with another talent, or just de-couple HC from HB so I can get the latter without having to waste a point in the former.

What spells do you use the least
?

Some spells have gone out of job as of cata. Blood Strike is absolutely useless, I mean, we only use it for like never if we spec blood upon creating our DK, 1 lvl if specced frost, 6 lvls if specced unholy. After 64, Blood Strike vanishes to never be seen or heard of again. Ever.

Another spell out of job is Hungering Cold.

Understand that while the spell was OP, its nerf was too much. Simply adding a target cap (like max 4 targets) and a smaller casting time (0.5 secs) the spell would be nerfed without being useless.
90 Tauren Death Knight

Mostly PvE

Raids primarily, heroics get old after grinding them for VP's

The runic power/rune system is really what makes this class unique for me, i dont feel like i have to just watch my mana to make sure im not running low.

The spiky damage i take when i'm tanking

I like all of them, blood's can get annoying when im trying to reapply diseases or death strike misses several times in a row

Some form of CC, or damage mitigation for frost

Dark simulacrum is generally useless in pve, and festering strike
85 Human Death Knight

Both

Heroics/raids

Bgs

Having to travel back to ebon hold for runeforges is clunky.

The fluid and consistent rotations of unholy primarily.

Army of the dead being a gimmick and nothing more.

Unholy- I feel the unholy rotation is pretty sound. I like the constant nature of it while the procs are important, they won't mess up my rotation. I like the predictability of it in the sense of pooling a bit of runic power for when dark transform is about to end. However death and decay on single target needs to go. Its lame and feels out of place.

Frost- Frost is too proc dependent. Its what makes the spec different for sure, but the runic empowerment mechanic should be enough. I wish frost had another ability to use blood runes and the changes that gives us permanent death runes would be reverted. It makes frost too obliterate focused and quite bursty, especially in pvp.

Blood- Blood is being fixed at with outbreak's cooldown.

Army of the dead- Turn this into something worthwhile, currently the ghouls do less damage than mirror image for 3 times the cooldown. The taunt doesn't affect raid bosses and the damage reduction is short and prevents dodge/parry from functioning. I would like to see either the cooldown reduced or the damage buffed. Also being able to dodge and parry while channeling would be REALLY nice.

Unholy- Help us benefit from crit! Crit is our worst stat, I would love to see a talent that lets death coil crit for much higher, instead of 100% extra damage think like 150-200% extra damage. I think our diseases could work very well with some crit changes. Something like: When your death coils crit the target/targets ( aoe debuff?) take 100% extra disease damage for 2 secs. Maybe even something like blood caked blade that has a chance equal to your crit to proc.

Frost- Death rune change reverted. Blood strike buffed alot. Killing machine only works on obliterate with reduced proc chance but increased proc duration. (the buff).

Blood- Army becomes useful.

Anti Magic Shell generates RP for all specs. The 100% damage reduction in unholy is enough for that talent.

Blood Strike
Army of the Dead
Summon Deathcharger ( lol)
85 Orc Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? All forms

A return portal from our DK headquarters, or perhaps a dk trainer in major cities, akin to how you have druids now.

What makes playing your class more fun? Having more raid utility than other melee classes. Also the concept of Unholy being a caster melee class is pretty awesome, but fading now.

What makes playing your class less fun? Being kited to hell and back by mages.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Its fine.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Get Unholy's damage in line with frost.

What spells do you use the least? Festering strike, and blood strike mainly just used as a rune converter, and a very boring one at that.
85 Human Death Knight
PvE mostly very little PvP
Heroics, Raids,
World pvp mostly TB, used to be alot into Wintergrasp
Small one, to be able to name my ghoal in Unholy dps spec.
That my rotation and abilities feel very "Deathknight-ish" they feel brutal and sinister, the classes are some what simplistic, however to be very good takes much skill.
Looking bad from other Deathknights in the community, who can not control their agro, or tank very poorly.
I enjoy all 3.
*I would like the armor amount on Blood spec increased via Stone Skin Gargoyle to match other tanks, even with an armor boosting trinket my armor is alot lower having me take roughly 5% more physical damage hit due to low armor, and Blood presence only reduces damge by 8% whilst bears have 10%. These are small numbers but they add up, Deathknights are rarely used in heroic raids and considered to be the worst tanks amongst the community because they are too "SPIKEY" in getting hit, good DKs will hit Deathstrike and blood tap I know, but Can we give them like reduce damage by 2% more in improved Blood presence, and increase their armor so they are roughly around 60% damage reduction from physical?" Would make them more viable in alot of fights, and useable more in heroic raids.*
Raise Ally, it gives back so little HP and mana its almost a waste compared to a Soul Stone and Rebirth from a Druid.
90 Human Death Knight
  • What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• Both

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Oldworld Raids, Current Heroics

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs, World

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• Having the only Runeforge in Archerus (and Icecrown). While conveniant if you have a summon back, inconveniant to waste a hearth or a hearths cooldown by flying traveling back from archerus.

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• Blood - Being able to provide more raid support than currently. Paladins have cooldowns (Aura mastery, Blessings,) as do warriors (intervene,) that they can use to protect members of their raid. Both Bloodworms and Glyphed Blood Tap are cool but don't do much other than minor heals to the group. Army of the Dead is good for trash. Anti Magic zone is Unholy. It would be nice to know that I actually was able to prevent the death of another, or the raid, that didn't revolve around "taunting" which tanks should be picking up mobs anyways.

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• Blood - Mastery is clearly our best stat by far. As Mastery goes up, avoidance becomes worse. In some situations, it's best to take DPS peices because of this. For instance, the 365 Neck from Molten Front rewards (initial vender) was ranked I think 4th BiS (at the time )because of its high mastery and expertise compared to any alternatives. Not bad for a gold purchase. Same problem when druids, in BC, wanted armor more than anything and could wear clefthoof to tank BT. In one particular instance, Apparatus of Khazrogoth becomes amazing for tanking because of it's mastery boost. Now, this shouldn't be a reason to nerf the trinket, but perhaps make mastery/avoidance better when balanced. (Easier said than done due to mechanics.) This also leads to other people less knowledgeable in PuGs because when they see a tank wearing a "DPS" peice such as either of those items, they /laugh and then /kick.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• Blood - Fun to manage except when a GCD is wasted on a missed/dodged/parried Death Strike.

Frost - Fun although a few times I have gcd capped when I get a string of like 30 procs. Whether thats completely RNG's fault or my own is unknown.

Frost - Almost feels like two different specs whether you dual-wield or use a twohander because of runic power regeneration vs killing machine procs. In PvP, they are completely different playstyles. 2h uses Necro Strike + Frost Strike + Howling blast while DW uses obliterates. This is fun and actually makes one think about going 2h or dw in frost pvp and changes strategy depending on comp for arenas.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• I'm not OP enough. Duh. Mages, Rogue, Warlock, Warriors, Paladins, Druids, Shaman, Priests, Hunters, and even other DKs, need to bow before me (More often than before). In fact, let's just cut to the chase, I need an IWin button that involves me just looking at other players to activate. Passive one could say. Maybe an "Aura of Death"? I am afterall a Death Knight... And when two Death Knights with said Aura collide, the world explodes and Azeroth drops epic loots for me, even though I am dead and can't loot just so I can take a screenshot and post it on the internet saying "look what I got but it despawned before I rezzed."

• What spells do you use the least?

• Dancing Rune Weapon. 50 RP + GCD for, what I feel, is a lack luster boost to mitigation (15% parry chance). I would rather spend that runic power on Rune Strike to get a runic empowerment proc for another Death Strike. RNG != a good cooldown. I would prefer it, let's say, boosted Deathstrikes Healing and Bloodshield by 15% while active. That way, I am in complete control of what happens during the duration and it would have more synergy with other cooldowns (Empower Rune Weapon for instance. Hit them together, instantly 2 boosted Death Strikes. Or perhaps I would wait for all my runes to regen, 2 deathstrikes, ERW, 2 more Death strikes).

Problem is perhaps it devalues avoidance stats even more. and stam/mastery would be the overall way to go in almost all setups.
    Edited by Skeith on 9/12/2011 10:26 AM PDT
    90 Worgen Death Knight
    Mostly PvE

Raids

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
    Better Pet intelligence. The Unholy ghoul is usually OK but like most pets sometimes does bonehead things. The Gargoyle is frustrating as if spawned in a bad location will only melee instead of cast (google Gargoyle twisting for better explanation) and make the gargoyle change targets if the DK does.

Blood Tap, which it functions like the tooltip suggests, is frustrating to use. It seems to fully activate the blood rune that is closest to being fully active which is opposite of how Runic Empowerment which activates only a fully depleted rune.

Fix Death & Decay such that if the DK has Anti-Magic Shield on while it is cast it will actually do damage. I see this as a bug right now.

Outbreak missing.

Tank quality-of-life issues mostly covered in recent Water Cooler Blog.

The Rune system & Runic power are great resources.

The requirement of needing an addon to play the class well. The rune location on the default ui, especially now with needing to watch it for Runic Empowerment/Corruption procs, is horrible to play with. A UI option that moves the runes to a more central portion of the screen is needed.

I do not like as a DK tank on multi-mob pulls that I need to choose between holding threat with Blood Boil and my active mitigation ability of Death Strike. DKs need an ability that will allow them so essentially get the same Blood Shield benefit they get from Death Strike while doing AoE damage. This was a non-issue when the heal from Death Strike provided threat.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”?
    I feel all 3 DK specs have good rotations.

- Smarter pet intelligence
    - Nerves of Cold-Steel to add spell hit also so Outbreak will not miss while yellow hit capped.
    - I feel like I need to choose 1 random point in “Unholy Command”, “Desecration”, or “Resilient Infection” while being an Unholy PvE DPS DK. This is a wasted point as I want none of those things. Please give me another option .
    - Please add Mind Freeze to the list of things that proc Runic Empowerment/Corruption
    - Make Army of the Dead not wimps any more. Or if you leave them as wimps, please make them insta-casts like Boomkin Trees or Shaman Elementals are. As of right now Army of the Dead is simply not worth casting as a DPS cooldown.
    - Please make crit rating affect the proc rate of Runic Empowerment/Corruption (not based on crits but can proc more often with higher crit rating). Crit is almost a worthless stat for DKs, this could make it worth while.
    - Make Diseases crit for triple damage. Again just to make crit a worthwhile stat for DKs (making normal attacks crit harder would likely unbalance PvP).
    - Please give us a glyph to allow us to Raise Ally at full or even higher health. With the sort of raid AoEs in the game right now using it often only results in a 2nd death.

I love the idea of Dark Simulacrum but in PvE it rarely works.

85 Human Death Knight

Both

Heroics and raids mostly.

Arenas (mostly 2v2), and BGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could
    be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I would have to say the huge window in DW frost dps. I will find myself without procs for a very long time, making a huge dps decrease along with a large amount of time white hitting.

I really do enjoy the hack'n'slash feel from death knights, as well as good consistent AoE dps to keep up with other classes.

How RNG dependent the Frost tree is. I really dislike doing 4-5k less on one boss, then going +2k on the next, some consistency is what it needs. Also I'm not a big fan of AoE tanking on death knights. It feels as if sometimes when I need to pick up some adds my resources are so depleted that I can only get off a few blood boils, which really isn't enough considering the power of AoE for certains classes. It feels as if paladins, and Druids both are better options for AoE tanking, perhaps a shorter cooldown on DnD might help?

I'm okay with the rotation, though with the way everything is set up right now it's quite easy to deplete your resources faster than they come, and with the RNG system managing over half of our rotation it can become clunky and inconsistent feeling after a while.

Bring back instant cast Hungering Cold for PvP, but maybe make it cost more and last a shorter duration? Change the glyph of dark succor back to the way it was in 4.1, but just nerf the amount Death Strike does in PVP scenarios (much like how you guys made colossus smash for warrior's have a different effect in PvE and PvP) so that way is doesn't effect PvE tanking. the dev watercooler talking about dk tanking was nice to hear, and I condone everything said in that dev post.

Blood Strike - I don't do Unholy anymore (and I'm not even sure if they use it) and with Frost having two free death runes this has become useless and isn't on my skill bars.

Army of the Dead - Costs a bit, and it usually never helps me much.

Festering Strike - Like I've said, I don't do Unholy anymore, and for the other specs to use that attack would be too costly and overall be a hindrance rather than a help.

85 Draenei Death Knight

• Both

• Raids mainly, only do heroics to cap VP and such.

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• Pvp i mostly do on "spare time". Focused in BGs, Arenas (not very serious, just to cap points etc), and RBG when given the opportunity of a good group

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• Not sure if this fits the bill but it's something that annoys me as a dk: Diseases poorly implemented.

Several mechanics are confusing and fight each other. And both frost and Blood specs have gimmicks to play them optimaly.

The fact that blood dks "must have" an addon to track blood shields, to me sounds the alarm of something poorly implemented. This and several mechanics that fight each other makes the spec a chore to play.

For example, when i log on several classes, their rotation make sense, the skills merge well with each other. You use A because A buffs B and C .. and while none of them are up you spam D. That is intuitive .. that you can master and skill dictates your performance.

While dks in general are too much at the mercy of RNG. Will this land? will this proc? will i take a big hit now that i spent my runes on diseases and not on Deathstrike. Did RE proc a rune?

To make it easier to pin point.

- blood diseases
      - blood mastery requiring an addon to be properly used.
      - counter intuitive mechanics (pooling runes when class mechanics such as Runic Empowerment discourage that .. or blood's Blade barrier issue where you have to keep both blood runes on CD to activate, but on the same time you dont want them on CD so RE dont proc blood runes .. and so forth)

• I think the DK has a lot of appeal simply on the "class theme". The skills look nice .. their names are nice, the effects are nice.

Unique mechanics also contribute .. Deathgrip .. Anti Magic Shell .. Rune forges (even tough their are not incredibly interesting, they are certainly a perk)

And runes .. i think runes are possibly the best and most fun resource in the game. Just hate how runic empowerment interacts with it

• Runic Empowerment. I simply LOVED the way runes worked back on wotlk. Now, not knowing which runes you'll have available .. or if RE will proc or not .. leaves dk too much at the mercy of RNG ... and i hate that.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• I dont like because there's no rotation for both specs i play: Blood and Frost.

Frost DKs are a total mess. On wotlk they had a clear rotation:
      IT > PS > BS > BS > OB then:
      1) OBx3
      2) Pest > BS > OBx2

THAT was a rotation .. you had the starting setup .. and then you alternated frost strikes between 1 and 2 and squeezed Rime procs in the few gcd you had available.

Now is:
      1) Killing Machine + Obliterate
      2) Frost strike if you are close to cap runic power.
      3) Howling Blast if it procs and you have nothing better to do.

you pretty much mash 1 2 3 randomly .. depending on what is available. You can't master that .. its about reaction. There's hardly any planning or skill .. if your procs lined up better, congratulations .. you did more dmg .. if they didnt, sorry. I simply hit whatever lights up.

On Wotlk i could test in a dummie 10 times in a row and get results within 200 dps of each other.

Now my results vary up to 800-1.5k dps from each other.

The same goes for blood .. there's absolutely no rotation.
      1) use Deathstrike whenever you need/can use
      2) use Heartstrike or blood boil .. doesn't really matter which, to burn that blood rune
      3) use Runestrike to pass time .. rp dump etc.

The villain? Runic Empowerment.

It's kinda hard to have a "rotation" when our whole system went from a predictable refresh timer of runes to a random whack-a-mole style where you never know when a rune will pop.

Ironically .. Unholy is the only spec that has a rotation, simply because it's the only one with a different version of runic empowerment.

• - Fix blood issues ..
      - Fix frost whack-a-mole playstyle
      - Get rid of Runic Empowerment
      not necessarily in this order.

• - Blood strike? Why do we even have it anyway? Absolutely no spec uses it.
      - Icy touch. With outbreak, and frost replacing it with howling blast, there's little to no use left for IT.
      - Plague strike. Same as above.
    Edited by Eflow on 9/12/2011 10:30 AM PDT
    78 Human Death Knight
    What type of content do you focus on? Both.

If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics and Raids.

If PvP, what type of PvP? BG's and Arenas.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Quality of life issue would be the 100 runic power needed to brez someone. Just make it a channel like everyone elses. On some boss encounters people die at a time that the boss is not easily hittable, or on a transition. So I have to take longer to build the power and brez, versus my druid who just picks them up.

What makes playing your class more fun? I like playing my DK because they feel so different from Paladins, warriors and druids. I have all three of those classes at 85 or close to it, and they get a bit dull. DK's have a aggressive tanking style, to me at least.

What makes playing your class less fun? I would say the rune cool downs. They take a lot of management versus rage, but aren't as free as mana is with a paladin. A lot of times boss transitions happen and my rune isn't quite up so the healer has to deal with spikey dmg. I guess really if DK's didn't take such spikey dmg.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) I think it's fine for Blood DK's, unsure about other specs.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Nothing really. We're fine as we are minus some mechanic tweaks or dmg tweaks. I don't think we need anything more.

What spells do you use the least? I use all my spells effectively. Just because you do not use a spell often doesn't mean that in certain situations it isn't useful.
    85 Blood Elf Death Knight
    * What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
    -Both.

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
    -I mainly focus on 5 man heroics and soloing. Raids in this expansion have been too difficult to enter for myself.

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
    -I mainly focus on non-rated battlegrounds. I do 2v2 arena only for the conquest points to get the better gear. I would like to join rated battlegrounds if they had the same requirements for joining as normal battlegrounds. See: solo queuing.

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    -As a tank, having Bone Shield use Runic Power instead of an Unholy Rune would make my life much easier. It would also help if I gained Vengeance through my Blood Shield, as this is a bit counter-intuitive. I would also like it if Heart Strike was given some sort of defensive mechanism, so that it may be used in place of Death Strike for AoE situations without losing a ton of survivability. I suggested some sort of combo system for Heart Strike in the past: You chain Heart Strike, and when you break the chain with a different ability, you gain some sort of heal or shield. Having Death and Decay on a shorter cooldown would help for AoE situations as well.

* What makes playing your class more fun?
    -Playing a Blood Death Knight itself is fun in general. In fact, I think it is one of the funnest classes there is to play. I really enjoy being to tank with a two-handed weapon instead of a shield, though I wish dual wield tanking was viable.

* What makes playing your class less fun?
    -I cannot think of anything that is detrimental about playing a Blood Death Knight, except the fact that our defenses are currently below other tanking classes.

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    -My "rotation" mainly consists of spamming Death Strike, which can get a bit boring. As I mentioned, I would love a system where Heart Strike was more involved.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?
    -The ability to dual wield tank without losing any potential DPS or survivability.
    -I honestly cannot think of anything else I would like to have for my Blood spec.

* What spells do you use the least?
    -Blood Boil
    -Necrotic Strike
    -Festering Strike
    -Blood Strike
    Edited by Xish on 9/12/2011 10:29 AM PDT
    I really only PVP and the only concern I have is the trade off between survivabilty and damage between Blood and Frost/Unholy. In Arenas Blood Dks can draw out the match and most people quit before they kill him/her. However, the DK cannot muster up enough damage to kill the other team. Frost/Unholy hit hard but are relatively squishy. In RBGs, Frost/Unholy are often overlooked in favor of Blood DKs for FCing. They make great flag hunters but it turns into a suicide mission if most of the healers are focused on the FC. There needs to be another damage cooldown for the Unholy Tree. Blood has Dancing Rune Weapon, Frost has Pillar of Frost. Unholy has almost nothing.
    90 Orc Death Knight

PVE

Heroics and Regular-mode raids (Blood main-spec, DW frost off-spec)

N/A

Death runes in blood spec. The current design of death strike creating death runes made sense in Wrath, when heart strike was the signature attack for blood, but now, it is confusing, especially for new DK tanks. Frost and Unholy pool death runes for lots of signature strikes, but Blood generates death runes that feel like a trap (i.e. you heart strike 1 too many times and now you've lost a Death Strike for 8 seconds).

Unholy Presence in Frost Spec. Unholy Presence has become the norm for all dps death knights because haste is so powerful, but I'd like to see Frost Presence be viable for frost DKs, if only for the "feel" of it (I'm frost so I want to be all Frost).

Runes and auto-crits. Managing runes, and getting into a rune "rhythm" on dps is quite fun, and Killing Machine may be my favorite proc in game. When the buttons light up and I know "when I push this, I will hit really hard," I get excited. The user control over the crit makes that fun.

Heart striking away a death rune (see above). missing a crucial DS heal

Frost DPS rotations is great, especially since removing blood strike.
    Blood tanking rotation is rough since you don't want to waste a runic empowerment on a blood rune, but you do want them both down for blood barrier.

I would like blood to feel less like a tug of war over my limited resources in order to claim the standard tanking buffs/debuffs. Heart Strike generating the death runes would be an awesome change.

A blood-tree only blood strike buff for purely single-target tanking would be great. Having a cleave be the only hard-hitting blood rune ability has caused me problems a couple of times.

Blood Strike (does anyone use this now)
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]