Class Feedback – Death Knight

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] -- BOTH

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] -- Dailies, Raids, Heroics

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] -- Regular BG's

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. -- Rune cooldown now lining up on multi rune abilities make rune management a lot more difficult.

What makes playing your class more fun? -- The versatility of a DK to be a Tank / DW DPS / 2H DPS / DW DPS w/ Pet / 2H DPS w/ Pet

What makes playing your class less fun? -- no longer being viable as a DW tank.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are
used to maximum efficiency.) -- FROST - works well in my opinion. BLOOD - having to manage diseases on top of death strikes can be a bit complicated for new tanks.

What’s on your wish list for your class? -- Tanking DK's either getting DW viability back or being the only spec available to use a shield.

What spells do you use the least? -- All specs - Festering Strike, Blood Strike Tanking - Heart Strike, Death Coil DPS - Death Strike, Rune Strike
100 Draenei Death Knight
* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Mainly PvE (and RP), with occasional casual PvP.

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Currently mainly heroics and older raids; I occasionally pug into a current raid, but my schedule doesn't allow me to do it regularly. I have done current content raiding in the past (on a holy paladin.)

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Mostly unrated BGs; I briefly dabbled in arena (weapon hunting) but didn't really enjoy the format.

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I really hate it when I get into a random dungeon finder group and none of us has a viable form of long-duration PvE CC, when the Cataclysm dungeons are designed for at least one or two mobs to be CCd on a lot of pulls. It's rare, but it's happened to me several times, and it makes some dungeons a nightmare at appropriate gear levels. I know that giving death knights (and warriors, and maybe druids and priests [shackle undead is too limited, mind control is fun but unreliable, and roots don't work on casters]) a baseline disables-the-enemy-for-one-minute-damage-breaks-it CC might be unbalancing in PvP (what happened to balance when ret paladins first got Repentance?) but maybe giving us a glyph that converts an ability that a death knight would hate losing in PvP into a CC would work. Or just throwing in a CC at level 87, since new level caps always mess with balance. How about a spell that temporarily traps the enemy's soul in our weapon(s)? (Does not work on mechanicals and other soulless enemies.) ;)

* What makes playing your class more fun?

My favorite thing about the death knight is blood's survivability. I adore it. The ability to soloing things that have no logical right to be soloed is incredible fun; even if I'm not good enough to take on Arthas or Yogg-Saron alone (yet?) just knowing that it can be done is amazing. I'm actually intending to try Malygos later today, now that I know the third phase is soloable; I'd assumed with 1/10 of the normal drakepower he'd enrage before you could get him down. I also really like the storyline I cooked up for this character, which ties in with the death knights' lore and draenei lore; having a fun character in RP actually makes playing the class in PvE more fun for me. :)

* What makes playing your class less fun?

Aside from getting stuck 20 yards from a frost mage early and often in PvP-- can't get away, can't get closer for long, sitting duck unless someone else intervenes-- I don't like it when fights have mechanics that punish melee unduly, especially in dungeons designed for random groups. For example, if two people in melee range get the Toxic Link on Venoxis, they're probably going to take massive damage, even if they start running immediately. Combined with the trend for ranged to do more damage than melee as a general rule this expansion, it makes pugging into a raid as DPS very, very frustrating. It's not fun to feel like the game is punishing you for not playing a ranged character.

Continued in the next post (which, due to the 1m timer, is 3-4 posts down.)
Edited by Atun on 9/12/2011 10:47 AM PDT
100 Draenei Death Knight
My Name is Unus, I am a Blood DK From Icecrown. I am also the GM of the guild REIN. We are a casual Raiding guild and currently 2/7 in Firelands.

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] : Mainly I focus on PvE content but I do enjoy PvP. Currently I have a 372 PvE iLvL and 371 PvP iLvL.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: Raids for sure. I hate questing

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]: All of the above.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? I don’t really think that DK have any real in your face quality of life issues.

What makes playing your class more fun? I feel like I play my class well and a well played DK can do some really awesome stuff. I love the Solo capabilities with the class thru all the self heals.

What makes playing your class less fun? As a tank.. My spiky damage mitigation does tend to test my patience

How do you feel about your “rotation”? : I actually like the rotation. Its fun. Not easy but not overly complicated.

What’s on your wish list for your class? This is a good one. I like the Differences between DK’s and other tanking classes. But we are too far behind on mitigation. And I feel like it is gear related. I understand how Making special gear for DK’s to increase our stats up could cause many issues in the game. So I have a solution to the problem.. Make Blood Tanking a Dual Wield spec, and allow us to Duel Wield 2 hander’s like a fury warrior but as a tanking class. I think the extra stats would make up for some of the stat loss from not having a shield and help level the playing field a bit.. plus it would just be awesome!! I also think that making blade barrier a passive talent that gives a constant mitigation (armor preferably)will work better for our class than having the extra reduction when you hit a certain percentage.. So.. working with my other idea, we would essentially have the states and the armor from a shield without having one still keeping the feel of the class but putting us more inline with other tanking classes.

What spells do you use the least? Obliterate, Bloodstrike, Festering strike…. Festering strike is the one ability that I would like to use more. I like the Idea of only having to apply my disease’s one time in a fight. But it currently costs to much to use. I think that this ability should be switched from a rune ability to a Runic power ability. It would make it a much more desirable ability for tanks to use.
100 Night Elf Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both, typically.

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Everything possible: Raids, dungeons, quests, anything lore related... I like to stay busy.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Battlegrouns and occasionally Arenas; Rated BGs have been very painful to me.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
A fair portion of Death Knight abilities are considered spells and we can be locked out of this with silences... including abilities like Dark Command (our taunt). Some bosses would pulse melee ranged, short duration silences that could make playing difficult.

Several of our survivability cooldowns have extremely high or inconvenient costs. Bone Shield using an unholy rune is a prime example.

■What makes playing your class more fun?
The life-gaining mechanic was what cemented my love for the class. The ability to exchange offense for defense... pure damage for life-gain... made it interesting. In 'Wrath', every spec had a means to get life back when needed. Naturally, in 'Cataclysm', it was addressed... but at least Blood spec still has it.

■What makes playing your class less fun?
It seems like the class was designed around the aforementioned life-gaining mechanic, so with it's removal from DPS specs, it left me feeling fragile. Stack on the fact that we have no escape abilities, it makes me feel like a liability (in both PVP and PVE).

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Blood: The main issue I have is being addressed in 4.3 with outbreak. Sadly, with how much we're forced into staying alive, our ability list becomes very short and boring.

Frost: The permanent death runes made the spec adaptable and fun to play. Our rotation can be quite simplistic though. The biggest issue is the requirement to use an AoE ability for optimum damage.

Unholy: When outbreak is on cooldown, applying diseases (generally after target swaping) is very difficult and breaks any semblance of a rotation. The same can be said about fights where you have to move. As with frost, the biggest issue is the requirement to use an AoE ability for optimum damage.

General: Runic Empowerment is a massive RNG hurdle that makes any stable rotation impossible. I oddly both love and hate this.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
- A viable choice between Runeforges (anything not 'Fallen Crusader')
- Glyphs that can change how we play
- A viable means to gain life in DPS specs
- Aesthetic improvements; strikes and spells to feel different
- Escape and control abilities (crowd control / knockback / stun)
- Runic power based AoE
- Bone Shield to be baseline and / or it to cost a Blood rune instead of unholy
- A means to dump excessive runes / runic power on gimmick fights (Alysrazor flight, Cookie)

And my personal odd-ball request... a permanent pet for every spec and the ability to tame / control undead like how hunters are with beasts. Unholy can be the 'Beast Master' spec and be able to get rare undead pets. Add a glyph that boosts raw stats for those that don't wish to have a pet. Make the pets for each spec have different abilities that build off the ability list.

■What spells do you use the least?
Blood Strike... it seriously has no use at 85.
Blood Boil... only viable in blood spec, but heart strike is better. Would be great if it cost runic power.
Dark Simulacrum... a fun ability... but with a 1 minute cooldown, a runic power cost, and totally random effects, it's difficult to use.
Edited by Arcaynia on 9/13/2011 8:27 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Death Knight

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

• - PVE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• -Raiding (10 man)

• If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

• - N/A

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• -I do not think there are any DK mechanics that are per se "tedious."

• What makes playing your class more fun?

• -The Blood and Unholy specs require a high degree of awareness and ability to multi-task in order to play effectively. Thus, there is more room for a skilled DK to distinguish himself.

• What makes playing your class less fun?

• -While I enjoy the class mechanics, the "roller-coaster" effect experienced by DKs (particularly the Unholy spec) since the start of Cataclysm has been distracting.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• -I like the "rotation" for Unholy to the extent there is one. My only concern is that the spec still feels "spammy" because at high haste ratings you are forced to use every GCD. I feel that I have more "downtime" playing my 85 Rogue than my Unholy Dk.

-Frost rotation is too simple. Except for a few disease applicators, it really is a 3-button spec. (1) Obliterate; (2) Frost Strike; (3) Howling Blast.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?

• -New DPS Runeforge option. We have had Fallen Crusader (and been using it) since the release of Wrath, perhaps it is time for something new?
    -Make Empower Rune Weapon more meaningful. Currently, as a 5 minute cool-down it is just plainly lackluster. I hope that the cool-down will be reduced and the effect increased, for example, to cause an increase in total dmg done, or something to "Avenging Wrath."

-More secondary stat options. This is a strong issue for me.

Currently, a secondary stat like Crit is low priority for Unholy DKs because it does not apply to the Pet, and similarly not valued by Frost because it overlaps with Killing Machine. This leaves DPS dks with, essentially, two secondary stats that matter: Haste and Mastery. I don't think the answer is introducing a new Secondary Stat. Rather, I think the proper answer is balancing the secondary stats so that Gearing/Reforging is more interesting. The idea should NOT be that one stat trumps all others and so you want to stack as much of that as possible. Rather, it would be more interesting if the stats had some kind of synergy with each other such that you want to have a balance of all of them. (For example, make Crit and Mastery scale with Haste, such that at higher levels of Haste you would want to increase Crit and Mastery.)

• What spells do you use the least?
[/quote]

The new spells introduced in Cata: Necrotic Strike and Dark Simulacrum. I also never use blood strike, although that ability was made obsolete by a long-series of design changes.

I also never use most of the runeforging options.

100 Draenei Death Knight
(The first part of this is 4 posts up on this page. A lot of people posted while I was waiting out the timer!)

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I think the blood rotation is fine. Frost's rotation is very simple, maybe too simple for a DPS, seeing as the main rotation is all of three buttons. I respecced my druid to cat feral at 80, and was utterly overwhelmed because they have so many attacks that they're using as part of their rotation, not even counting the situational combo finishers and cooldowns. Even my level 40 enhancement shaman's hitting more unique attacks as part of her current rotation.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?

Viable PvE CC. See above.

* What spells do you use the least?
I assume you're not looking for the ones I don't use because they're not part of my spec's rotation, like obliterate in blood or rune strike in frost. I rarely use hungering cold in PvE. I used to use it occasionally when it was instant but, now, the cast time makes it much less useful for that purpose. I also don't use dark simulacrum all that much. In PvP, the spells you steal with it don't have any spellpower behind them, so they hit (or heal) like wet noodles unless you get a flat rate utility spell, like divine shield. It would be much more useful if DKs got some sort of attack power=spell power conversion, since dark sim is the only ability we have that scales off spellpower, anyway. In PvE, it's just not clear what can be stolen; it's almost always better to interrupt the spell than to try and steal it. Also, it feels like the copied spell doesn't stick around for long enough. If you don't recognize the icon, you don't have time to read the tooltip before the spell times out; you have to use it blindly and hope it's good. I'm of two minds on army of the dead-- it's an awesome, flavorful ability that I wish I could use the way I use the greater demon summons on my warlock, but doing that would make it lose its utility. Their constant taunting makes them unusable as a DPS cooldown in most fights, but invaluable as a Hail Mary attempt at wipe prevention in an emergency. Maybe adding a glyph (Glyph of the Subtle Army? Glyph of Polite Ghouls?) to make them not taunt would be a good compromise, allowing people to choose between the DPS cooldown and the wipe prevention.
Edited by Atun on 9/12/2011 10:54 AM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvP.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arenas and RBGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I can't think of any real quality-of-life issues that aren't really some cheap way to get an edge in combat.

What makes playing your class more fun?

How unique it is. Death Knights run in the rune system, which no other class does.

What makes playing your class less fun?

The lack of mobility. Casters feel a bit redundant to chase.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

There's really not a set "rotation" for PvP in my opinion, so I'll settle to say I'm quite happy with what we do when we actually get some time in melee range.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

Something to give us some sort of mobility, so it doesn't feel I have all these utilities available, but won't end up using them.

What spells do you use the least?

Blood Strike is about the only one I can't recall using. Ever.
85 Draenei Death Knight

PvP.

Arenas and RBGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I can't think of any real quality-of-life issues that aren't really some cheap way to get an edge in combat.

How unique it is. Death Knights run in the rune system, which no other class does.

The lack of mobility. Casters feel a bit redundant to chase.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

There's really not a set "rotation" for PvP in my opinion, so I'll settle to say I'm quite happy with what we do when we actually get some time in melee range.

Something to give us some sort of mobility, so it doesn't feel I have all these utilities available, but won't end up using them.

Blood Strike is about the only one I can't recall using. Ever.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PVE
■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids
■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
BG
■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Battle Res cost is high
■What makes playing your class more fun?
Pet and melee sword and Dots :)
■What makes playing your class less fun?
waiting for runes to come up
■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
There is no rotation and i miss the old rotation. If you were good and had it down it was fun to play.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
no CC
■What spells do you use the least?
Dark Simulacrum, Necrotic Strike
85 Worgen Death Knight
Both.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Heroics/raids/lateral content-events/cosmetic appearce based items (vyrkrul drinking horn) professions/ achievements.

RBG, world pvp, and to a lesser extent arena thought certain arena maps are very frustrating due to lack of L.O.S.

Blood death knight master in stances other than blood. currently deathknight is the only class that simply does not have a mastery given certain spec's thought i can certainly understand the reasons for removing it. i feel removing it was a poor choice and show reflect something similar to what druid's have where in cat form their mastery simply functions differently so as to not make a stat utterly worthless to one style of play.

budgeting multiple resources efficently (cooldowns, runes, RP) as well as a mixture of ranged and melee abilities, also in frost and blood the ability to provide a kind of aura or grp benifit aside from damage

homogenization. on dk release when they died they instantly returned as ghouls although gimped still were able to damage for a short time reflecting the priests spirit ability (forgive me for not knowing the name) also, to create an aoe blight around ourselves, exploding corpses. uniquly deathknight abilities and ones that fit with the death knight class and gave a general sence of "deathyness" or "unholyness" as it stands now, we have a ranged wirlwind(HB), a cleave (HS) and we can summon a bat occasionaly.

i like it just fine, if i didnt i should probably play a class that had a rotation that i did like as at this point in the game the classes play style truly have options for varying style.

*i wish DK's had some sort of movment ability, while deathstrike is nice and very powerful i find myself lumbering behind the pack always. also i personaly enjoy a kind of "cursed" gameplay in that there might be steep tradeoffs between abilities for instance unholy Frenzy while greatly increases melee attack power also drains health. (another and possibly last surviving unique thing about dk) this is something that i would like to expand upon possibly presenting the class in a new light as slightly reckless or cursed or whatever terminology you would like to slap on it. for instance. i have compiled a list of abilities below that i would find interesting:
-Reaper's shadow- while exchanging places with the spirit of death looming behind every sould he shares his predicament as well. (instantly teleports deathknight behind target while replacing deathknights previous position by an exposed reaper spirit. all damage done to this spirit is transfered to the deathknight and if the reaper spirit is killed the death knight is stunned for 1.5 second)
- glyph of focused strangulation- applying this glyph will cause the "strangulate" spell to have no cooldown and function as a CC (much like the black night in ToC strangulating the bloodelf). while the target is strangulated as long as the DK is standing still he gains 1% rp per second, if the DK is moving (shadow trap) he will sugger 1% hp persecond draining his essence to maintain the trangle hold. ~ this both offers a CC option for raid/dungeon while making it very taxing to maintain in PVP
- glyph of wicked frost- applying this glyph will cause the death knights path of frost to no longer break on damage as well will no longer alow the dk to walk on water though any targets caught in the wake of this ability will be slowed by X% for X time. (possibly make this a frost talent ?)
-inner ghoul mastery- essentialy allows the dk to self rez instantly as a ghoul as it functioned before (not functional in battlegrounds)

bloodstrike - no spec uses it except for leveling untill you dont need to use it.
frost presence - no specs truly gain from its use
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

• I focus on PvP.

• When I do PvE, I focus on Blood tanking in dungeons or raids. DPSing as a Death Knight is just too repetitive and systematic.

• I prefer Arenas.

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

• My biggest quality-of-life issue as a Death Knight would hands down be the rune management. Basically having 4 separate resource bars, 3 of which are very poorly displayed, is too convoluted. Death Runes and Runic Empowerment only complicate this issue further, because it's so hard to know when you have them.
    More-so than just being complicated, it wrecks a lot of our versatility by putting our utility abilities in direct and powerful competition with our main attacks. Something as simple as a snare can completely botch our next big-hitter.
    I personally would have greatly preferred to see runes and RP reversed, so that it works more like a Rogue. Using RP on certain attacks, and gaining certain runes depending on the attack you used. This would have been far simpler to know what is going on with your resources at any given moment, and you would only have to actively watch your RP bar.
    The old fighter-style combo system would have been fun and engaging as well, doing things like Necrotic Strike (unholy) > Blood Strike (blood) > Obliterate (consume unholy+blood).
    Runes are so clunky and hard to track, most of the time I just hit buttons, and either the ability goes off or it doesn't.
    Another big issue is how difficult Gnaw is to use, because it uses both a GCD and Energy, causing it to be broken by the Ghoul's Claw spamming.

• Feeling like a necromancer is certainly fun. I would really like to see more spell-like abilities as a focus.
    I also enjoy managing my Ghoul pet, and having to actively maintain the duration of my diseases on the target as an Unholy Death Knight, or my Blood Shield as a Blood Death Knight.

• Diseases, while fun to maintain, are not fun to apply. The initial application does not have any sort of visceral effect to it, and feels like it's just a penalty that takes away from other abilities I could be using. Especially since the diseases themselves are so spectacularly weak, getting most of their effect from the attacks that rely on them.
    The rune system itself contributes to this by causing disease applications to throw a massive wrench into our rotation and seriously wreck our offense/defense. The current rune system itself is not fun either.
    And I'm also sick of always getting warrior knock-off armor. The designers need to take more inspiration from the concept art of Death Knights.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

• The Death Knight rotation overall is too systematic and repetitive. Blood is particularly bad in this because its mostly just endless Death Strike spam. Frost is a close second with the attack spamming, having only a couple extra attacks with the occasional proc.
    Unholy has a more diverse "rotation", but is also much more systematic. It has the closest thing to a literal rotation, which is not good.

• I would love to see a hard-core, complete revamping of the rune system. I would also like to be given more choices in how to handle a given situation, with less of a "rotation".
    I also desperately miss being able to use polearms. They provide the perfect aesthetic for a mix between melee and magic, and also go extremely well with plate robes, like the Acherus set, as well as the image of a mounted knight, and even a Grim Reaper. It's just criminal that Death Knights can't use them.
    I would love to see more spells added, rather than simple melee attacks, in the future.
    Finally, I would very, very much like to be given more just-for-fun type abilities. Stuff like Path of Frost and Death Gate. I feel terribly jealous of Mages, Warlocks and Priests right now in that regard.

• Death Strike. 100% useless now to anyone but Blood.
    I also never use Dark Simulacrum, because the cost/cooldown is so high for such a negligible (and often nil) return. I think it would be perfectly fine if
    1) The RP cost were removed
    And
    2) It auto-interrupted the spell that it successfully copied.
    Edited by Kjeran on 10/1/2011 11:19 PM PDT
    100 Draenei Death Knight
    •What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
    Mainly Pve, with some PvP here and there

•If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
    Dungeons to get valor, and normal mode raids

•If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
    Laid back 2v2 arenas for the lulz, BG's here and there

•What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    In PvE, QoL feels pretty good as a dps-lack of RP here and there but w/e. Keeping blood plague up is annoying sometimes on target swaps, but still manageable.
    As a tank, I've read QoL issues are already planned for 4.3 so I'll shush about that

•What makes playing your class more fun?
    The class as its whole is pretty opposite to the paladin which was my first character I made, the difference in playstyle can be fun

•What makes playing your class less fun?
    As mentioned in above posts, dead zones with no runes/RP can you leave you doing nothing or dead for lack of death strikes. In PvP especially, IBF requiring RP to use, but none is available if you get ganked by 2 stealthies. Also the nerf to death strike healing, even in PvE to help out healers on fights such as chimaeron or when dps is isn't such a big deal, I can't heal myself up as much.

•How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    As frost dps, I like the rotation-not neccessarily the dependancy on RNG or the times you get stuck with no runes/RP, but the rotation itself feels good.
    As a tank, the 4.3 changes in the air seem like they'd help any issues there.

•What’s on your wish list for your class?
    -Outbreak on lower CD - I know it's probably comin for blood, but I can always wish.
    -no RP requirement for IBF for the dps specs
    -been suggested before - but an aesthetic change to army of the dead via a glyph (I think it would be awesome to have an army of ghouls akin to how my necromancer would revive a bunch of things including casters, and then go PvP in front of the rogue encampment)
    -also different models of ghouls - abominations, liches, etc would be awesome
    -I never fully got to enjoy corpse explosion in WotLK, it could also keep our aoe damage at the top where it belongs *cough cough*
    -glyph of raise dead to either remove the RP cost of it, or revive the player at 100% HP/MP such as druids can do. For 40 RP I believe that reviving someone at such a low HP to the point where they can easily die to aoe isn't reasonable.
    -put the CD for hungering cold back to instant - other classes get aoe instant fears, I don't see why this was so powerful that it needed a nerf - just add a target cap.

•What spells do you use the least?
    Definately dark simulacrum for all specs, blood boil, blood strike, lichborne (never spec into it), festering strike (don't play unholy), death coil (never as a tank, only when I'm stuck out of range in PvE/PvP), icy touch (only to avoid breaking CC's),
    90 Human Death Knight

PvP

BGs/RBGs mostly. I'd like to get into arena, but I'm more tactical in the big picture. (I don't care how many times I die, if we win)

Disarm, when i get disarmed, If i've just used trinket for something else or its on CD, i sit there for 8-10 sec, whatever it is, like "well !@#$..." then I have to try to kite with chains and howling blast, but some disarm protection would be nice without having to give up on fallen crusader. (2h frost btw, although probably affects DW just as much with Fallen crusader/razor ice)

I like the Killing machine Procs, they occur pretty often and let me burn off my RP from Howling blast/Necro strike, also the cool tricks we have like Lichborn Deathcoiling to heal. there's all kinds of little tricks you can do if you use abilities differently for Offense or Defense., I like that about DK. Like Deathgrip for instance, you can use it to pull an enemy to you who is kiting, or pull an enemy of you're team mate, and you can even pull your team mates back if they get Mind Controlled at LM in AB RbGs (did that last night, was epic)

Like I mentioned before, disarm is kind of a %^-*!, suppose you can just eat CC and save trinket for that, but sometimes you just gotta trinket.

I like the rotation, single target dps seems kind of weak, maybe that's more a gear issue though. I really like KIlling Machine Procs, and having Necro strike to deal with heals is nice. I personally think it could be buffed in dmg and healblock, or healers could be toned down a bit... but that's just me.

a glyph or maybe just built in mechanic that prevents Howling Blast hit CC targets would make me very happy. nothing more annoying than a mage casting poly right before I start letting hell break lose on the enemy team and HB breaking it instantly.

And for Glyph of Resilient Grip to work like it's suppose to

Blood Strike, Obliterate, icy touch, Festering strike (Only one of those on my hotbar is oblit, but I never touch it.)
    Edited by Tundrajack on 9/12/2011 2:08 PM PDT
    85 Orc Death Knight

i would like unholy to have a variety of pets instead of the same old ghoul. dark sim turned into a spell steal because its kinda worthless in the grand scope of every thing it doesnt target any spell i want can be fake casted with like say ice lance. oh and i want my 20% damage buff back that was in blood that you destroyed and turned into haste for unholy =D

dks don't have any survivability mechanics for melee get rolled by ferrals that kite if anti magic shell absorbed 75% of melee damage that could work or like a rogue replenish that feeds of of runic power.
    dark simulation icy touch army of the dead because it doesn't help any thing ever waste of runes and if you do it in a raid you will get kicked, blood strike.
    90 Tauren Death Knight

Mostly PVE with a little PvP

Raids, End Game, Heroics

Random BGs, occasional Arena

Rune Starvation. There is always something holding us back and the fact that we have to constantly wait for rune regeneration be it blood frost, and unholy. However unholy is not so bad thanks to runic corruption, however its not perfect.

Runeforging needs to be updated.

The priority system instead of using global cd's and and waiting for mana or energy to regen.

Like above runic starvation sucks. In blood tanking I feel that we do not have enough abilities to use to soak spike damage. You miss with DS and your other abilities are on cd your screwed basically.

I dont have to many problems with it outside that we tank and dps needs more 1 min cd abilities to make it less monotonous and tanking if your cooldowns are blown because of your error or the healers then...your just a sitting duck.

Bring back shadow of death, bring back the OLD unholy blight, if DKs are a "hero" class for experienced players then let them have a more complex skill tree instead of the homogenization that has come to be. BLOOD DPS!, efficient dual wield tanking would be great. Tanks: DS needs to hit more, better cooldowns. Unholy pets should have another stage of Dark Transformation. Army of the dead needs to have its CD cut in half. More raise dead type abilities. Revert Raise Ally the way it use to be, and give me back Corpse Explosion!

Festering strike, Death Strike (if DPS not TANK), dark sim, icy fort(DPS) blood strike.
    Edited by Ghostnecro on 9/12/2011 10:55 AM PDT
    85 Goblin Death Knight
    Bad

PvE

Heroic raids

n/a

Raise Ally costs 50rp (which is a LOT for a DK mid-combat), but it's only a 20% rez with no way to increase it. Compared to other battle rezzes, it's the most expensive and the least rewarding. So, Raise Ally is the riskiest battle rez to use.

That we're these powerful spellcaster-type melee, and not as plain as warriors.

Back in Wrath, diseases used to deal damage and be these huge things on their own. Over time, they've become these things that increases the damage done by our main strikes. The old Unholy mastery buffed disease damage, but diseases were so weak it made the mastery almost worthless.

Overall, it's currently fine. However, it's too random. Both specs pretty much rely on RNG to proc rune regen (Runic Corruption/Empowerment). If we can't get it to proc for a while, we start to fall behind other classes that are less RNG-based.

I'd like to see Unholy recieve a buff in a place that actually counts. The Unholy Might buff was nice and all but it was in a spot that just doesn't scale well. Also, more places to use Dark Sim would be sweet.

Blood Strike, Dark Sim, Death Strike, Hungering Cold.
    85 Draenei Death Knight

PvE

Tanking raids, dailies, achievements. Heroics to finish off the wkly valor cap.

Not on my DK. If i get jumped while doing dailies, I normally just let them kill me. It takes a while, but I'd rather not deal with it.

Disease application for my defensive debuffs. Can't wait for that outbreak CD reduction!

Tanking with a 2h?! Been liking it since first day of wrath! Granted, my fav spec to tank in was frost and you took that away from me :( but I've gotten over it and blood really is fun. Never could get into unholy tanking back in the day. I also like being able to use my old tanking weapons for dps. They might not be the best possible for the job, but It's not like i dps all that much anyway. (I like axes, can we has moar axes? tehe)

Idk. Things get tweaked here and there, and sometimes they cause minor annoyances for a short time, but I adjust and the fun comes back. I can't really say there's much in class design that is less fun enough to prevent me from having fun.

I think it feels fine. I like the RNG of when a rune will proc, but sometimes RNG doesn't like me all that much :( I'm not as much a fan of getting rune locked, esp when I really need one, like when something new enters the fight, or that pesky mage in ZA backed up too far and pulled that extra group.

Idk, I'm not super creative, so I let you guys deal with that stuff :) (oh yea, and moar axes. Seriously this time, but jk.... Na, but fer realz?)

Well, of the tanking abilities, I think my most underused is DRW. Something in me still thinks of it as a dps CD more than a tanking one, so it really gets more used just as that. I'm thinking when I finally get my 4set my mindset might finally remember that little detail. At the start of cata, rune tap used to be pretty underused for me, too, but that didn't last all that long :)
    85 Goblin Death Knight
    Both

Raids, primarily.

Arena mostly, some Rated BGs

Unholy Pvp : Primarily the problem is the pet, it's easily cc'd/snared, and almost every ability needs to be macroed so that you have enough runic power to use a timely stun.
    Frost Pvp: Cast time on hungering cold was a pain in the neck when first introduced. With all of the interrupts that every class has it feels as if you have to properly fake cast several times before being able to use the ability, which as a a melee which already has mobility problems can cause issues.
    Pvp: Both specs are very weak vs. melee heavy teams due to the lack of mobility, and our only damage reduction talent being only 20% and a 3 min cool down. With the nerf to death strike, (which was needed) i would like to see some compensation.
    Pve: Lack of gear. I feel that when I am looking at the BiS gear, much of it has stats that are not very appealing, and need to be reforged which only goes so far. Plus the only one hand weapons being boe's at a very low drop rate can be annoying for a raiding dk.
    Also frost presence has almost no use in the game atm, except for a mastery heavy frost dk, which is not as competitive as a haste frost dk in uh pres.
    Utility
    Stated above.

Unholy i feel is in a good place, frost however is too simple and rng dependent.

Tactical defensive melee cd.
    Frost Presence
    90 Draenei Death Knight

• PvE mainly, some BGs for achievements

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

• Raids mainly, although I did immensely enjoy heroics while they were still challenging.

• When running older content or content that's easily overpowered, the cooldown on Death and Decay is a major bottleneck for the entire group. For progression content, keeping Frost and Scarlet Fever up while also being required to death strike is a little annoying, but that will hopefully change in 4.3.

• I like the ability to heal myself, and I really like the ability to heal my group while tanking. Glyph of Rune Tap is the ability that I miss the most when I play other tank toons. This may not be the feedback you're looking for, but armor style also plays in to how I enjoy my class, and I think for the most part, the job with DK armor has been phenomenal so far. I do wish you'd reconsider allowing transmogrification to Legendaries however, as I'll definitely have more fun with my hard-earned Shadowmourne or Warglaives equipped(if I ever get the other one).

• This is a hard question. I enjoy my class a lot. I do however get discouraged when I compare against Paladin tanks who get stronger with more avoidance and mastery, whereas DK avoidance makes our mastery weaker. This seems to be a problem right now for heroic-geared tanks, and will likely become an even greater problem in the future unless the root cause is addressed (the changes in potentially advertised for 4.3 will certainly give us a boost, but they won't scale with avoidance or mastery)

• I generally accept my rotation, and that it is going to change from patch to patch. I do wish Frost and Scarlet Fever were a little easier to keep up however, as that's a survivability concern.

• This is a pretty broad question, but in the context of spells and abilities, I think Blood Queen Lana'thel makes an ideal archetype for a blood DK. I think it'd be pretty fun to get her Pact of the Darkfallen ability, or perhaps bloodbolt whirl, or even just her wings =P

• Dark Simulacrum - this spell has no value in PvE, and is very difficult to use effectively in PvP
      Necrotic Strike - This ability is solely for PvP, and even when I PvP I often forget I have it. I do find it useful when I remember however.
      Blood Strike - Since this uses a single blood rune, it's almost always a mistake to use this ability, whether you're in frost, blood, or unholy spec. The way abilities work right now, it might be nice to remove this from the spellbook once a DK learns festering strike.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]