Class Feedback – Death Knight

(Locked)

85 Orc Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? PvE

■If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics and Raids

■What makes playing your class more fun? Tanking without needing a shield

■What makes playing your class less fun? Duel Wield tanking being bad.

■What’s on your wish list for your class? Duel Wield tanking. It looked awesome.

■What spells do you use the least? Blood Tap, and Blood Strike
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] i focus on both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] heroics to an extent mainly raiding

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] all 3

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
For PvE it would be our Bres feels really tacked on 8/10 times the ressed person dies instantly and sometimes you need to bres straight away but have 0 RP so have to hit the boss if your runes are on cooldown you can take a long time for someone who needs to be ressed imeadietly.For PvP i would say the way we get chewed out by every melee our main melee defensive CD has a high RP cost, all melee classes have high insta burst at the start of a fight but your CD isnt up till they have already bursted you at the point its already over

What makes playing your class more fun? the rotation system specifcally the half GCD

What makes playing your class less fun? to much RNG i would rather be in control of me doing good or bad but instead it feels like if i execute everything perfectly i can do less dps then if i didnt just because of RNG

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) i feel it is good and i enjoy the half GCD in Unholy presence but again it feels liek to much RNG

What’s on your wish list for your class? something to sort out our bres into making it useful, an increase to melee survivability, a buff to Army of the dead it also feels tacked on with such a long CD it is only up half the fights and it is a dps loss to even cast it,

What spells do you use the least? with frost having perm death runes blood strike has no use in any spec, dark sim has little to no use and hungering cold with that cast time has no use
Edited by Siluz on 9/25/2011 7:15 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Cata Heroics(not the Zuls, I don't like them), Old and New Raids, Daily Quests, etc...

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
2v2, BGs, Occasionally RBGs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Unholy
1) I am going to echo many concerns about survivability. In PVP, it seems that I get hit harder from the same attacks as my ret pally partner, who is also in plate. A nerf to Dark Succor was needed, but went too far. I believe that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
2) Class mechanics don't synergize well with many of the new trinks; Like Apparatus of Khaz'goroth, because it procs stacks on melee critical strikes. I'm an unholy DK that has to put 5 stacks on my ghoul before I can use DT. Most of the time I don't have any stacks on my trinket when my ghoul gets transformed due to my 2.8s swing time, the fact that crit is our worst dps stat and the procs reset after 15s. This means I have to crit every 5 hits to stack at the minimum pace. If this was changed to any critical strikes instead of just melee critical strikes, it would help out the DKs because many of our attacks are spells. I guess it could also be done if our pet's melee crits could count towards the stacks, I hear frost doesn't have the as much of a problem because of DW and crit procs. I got this trink and was so happy, but my guildies were all wondering why my dps went down. :(
3)Gargoyle melee bug

What makes playing your class more fun?
The lore, the 2 resource system, the ability to solo older content, good dps

What makes playing your class less fun?
Low survivability when toe to toe with some classes. Unholy has the least number of damage mitigation cds of all the specs, and they are penalized the most when they use some of them. Death Pact does more harm to an unholy that it does to a blood/frost

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Even though I love the unholy rotation I think that it could be improved my reducing the cd time on Empower Rune Weapon and or Blood Tap. Not having to turn away to cast gargoyle would improve it too. If I don't turn, he spawns in melee range and doesn't produce what he should.

What’s on your wish list for your class?
In no particular order:
1)I think alot can be done with the pets in this class. I like the suggestions about each class getting their own pet model, but it would be cool to be more like a hunter and go out to 'tame' your pet. There could be rare elites available, possibly raised Ally NPC's. It'd be great to see the Dwarf King Magni Bronzebeard, raised and killing Ally in Alterac Valley with me.
2)Also while the current Raise Ally is great, it is frustrating having to wait to build up RP then once they're rez'd, the Boss's AoE kills them before the healer can get any heals out. A slight tweak and this could be on par with other battle rez's.
3)Dark Sim being able to capture the spell mid cast
4)Gnaw working correctly when pressed, the first time.
5)slight tweak to "proc on melee crits" trinks or how they calculate for Dks (See QoL)

What spells do you use the least?
Blood Strike

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
PvE

Raids

n/a

Ghoul/gargoyle problems. I noticed on more then one occasion that my gargoyle would die to boss AoE damage (ie crackles on Nefarian, Bethtilac's AoE) and when I went up to chain Magmaw my ghoul would always despawn, and I've have to wait two minutes to summon him again just to have him despawn the next time I had to chain magmaw.

being able to solo things

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Cataclysm has dumbed down DPS rotations considerably. I'd like to see something a bit more engaging. Procs have helped, but can also be the cause of the feared dead zone.

1. I have a bit of spell envy effect envy. Bone shield was my favorite, but thats a tank cooldown these days, so I've been sc%*!@*# the insides of my brain for something that would be cool. What I'm DYING to see is a valkyrie effect, its pretty enough to tame my jealousy of a priest's wings, and yet still very death knight.

2. I'd also like to see the gap between unholy and frost closed a bit more. A 30% band-aid doesn't keep things competitive enough in a heroic raiding environment. I speak from personal experience.

Blood strike
Army of the Dead
90 Night Elf Death Knight
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both.

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids, Daily heroics, solo player content ( achievements, soloing old content etc )

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arena ( because im forced to for gear to BG with ), and BGs.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Raise Ally immediatly comes to mind, the runic power costs and the % of health and mana the rezzed target has seems pointless. when a healer or tank goes down at a critical time and youve just dumped all of your runic power, its very frustrating and can mean a wipe. PIllar of Frost requiring a frost rune, the single fact we have to blow blood tap just to use another cooldown ( PoF ) seems pointless. Id very much prefer blood tap being an option to use when you want to, not because you have to.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

Self sufficient. i very much enjoy playing classes that can self heal and take up multiple roles ( tanking healing and dps ) As a DK though its the utility toolbox that has me hooked. AMS in raids and heroics is amazing to help mitigate that magical based dmg to help the healers out. Path of frost for getting around on water quicker. Ghoul Sac to help the healers out. Dark sim is mostly useless in pve, but it is very fun in pvp. i once dark simmed a pally in arena and stole his bubble, used it, bandaged and won a match because of it.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

Icy touch being so weak. Fighting over runes as a blood tank for your abilities. Having to reapply blood plague and disrupting rotations. Outbreaks CD being far too long. Death grip failing. Dark Sim being 99% useless in pve. Frosts lack of mobility options in pvp and lack of defenses against melee in pvp.
2H frost having not been buffed to keep up with DW frost ( i HATE DWing with utmost fury, and i hate having to be DW just to stay competitive [ in the middle of the pack ]) i thought part of the point of the new talent trees was so that blizz could easily * turn the knob * and tweek dmg, not seeing this happen. 2H frost not being balanced adequately with DW and it being so far behind. Being forced to DW, i miss out on so many fun talents that i would like to take, because of the extra talent point cost. I experiment a lot with talents to find new and fun things to do.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Feels mostly good as frost. Hate how i have to be DW frost and not my beloved 2H frost. Blood is wonky and disjointed. i dislike how i have to keep reapplying blood plague and disrupting my rotation. If outbreaks CD was 30 seconds or even 15 seconds it would improve things a lot.
I very dislike playing as unholy, the pet mechanics and how the unholy pets act has always turned me off the spec. Very unenjoyable.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

Honestly not much. Id love 2H frost to always be better than DW at all times, but you did ask for a wish :D
Id like bloods usage of runes to be streamlined and made better to use. Id love a mobility buff for frost in pvp, or a more active way to reduce dmg acrosss the board. One thing that comes to mind here would be boneshield across all specs. Ghoul coming out of the ground a little quicker and the cast of army being a little lower would be nice. Empower rune weapons CD lowered to 2-3 mins.

■What spells do you use the least?

The big one here is frost pres...... having to spec improved frost pres and not even using it seems pointless. certainly seems like DKs across the board would greatly improve with the 1 sec GCD for all specs and not tied to unholy pres would greatly benefit us all.
Blood strike.
Dark sim in pve.
85 Gnome Death Knight

Both.

Currently mostly solo content, for pet and mount collecting and other achievements. When it fits into my work and school schedule, raiding, but pretty casually; I'm in a guild of knitters.

BGs and am addicted to Tol Barad. I will be answering these questions mostly from a heroics/raiding point of view, though, because I'm not very good/knowledgeable about PVP and because most of the solo content I'm doing right now is below level and takes zero skill.

I like having a battle rez. I like it a lot. However, I wish it was easier to use it when it's needed. It may be just something I personally have to adjust to as far as anticipating needing the RP for it, but it always seems that I don't have enough when someone calls for me to use it and then by the time I've built up enough RP to light the button up it's too late.

Leveling was extremely painful this xpac with the nerf to Death Strike.

I like getting to use Army. Theoretically I could be using it a lot more often than I am, but many of my guildies are hesitant to let me because they still think the Army ghouls taunt raid bosses. That's not Blizzard's fault, obviously.

I love interrupts. Ooh, the big nasty is going to throw something sparkly and hurty at my (tank's) face, I'm shaking in my stylish yet affordable boots--WELL, NOT TODAY, PAL.

Those times when I have no runes and nothing to do but auto-attack. I get trigger happy and spam Death Coil until it goes away when my runes are down, which is probably a big part of the reason I never have the RP to battle rez. ;)

I'm fairly happy with it, except for the dead zones when the runes are all down as mentioned above.

I saw some other people mentioning that they'd like to see more variation in useful runeforges, which I do think would be awesome, but if that does happen I would really like to see runeforges located in more places in game. I'd like to see them in the major cities. If not that, I really like the idea someone else had of making them summonable with group assistance, like the lock portal.

It'd be cool to see gear for us added retroactively to the Outland instances, but I recognize that that's highly unlikely.

I'd really like to see the different DPS specs get and stay balanced with one another so that there's not one clear choice for raiding so much as a personal preference based on play style. That may be a pipe dream; I know there's a lot of complicated stuff that makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.

Lore-wise, I'd like to see a bit of attention paid to the Knights of the Ebon Blade in current and future expansions, and what death knights are up to now that we've killed Arthas and the Scourge is much more under control. Now that we don't have the same kind of compelling reason to be allied with our respective factions, it seems like there'd be people trusting us less because of it, and we'd need to continue to prove ourselves in that respect.

I don't use Outbreak a lot. I know I should, but I find it to be a pain with its cooldown when I know I'm going to have to apply my diseases the old-fashioned way much more often than I use it, so I don't generally have it on my main bar. There's probably a better way to macro them than what I tried but I've been too lazy to look for it.

Dark Simulacrum could have been so awesome. I was really excited about it, but it's so seldom useful in PVE, and in PVP I suck at predicting what someone is going to use and when I should pop it.

As I discussed above I very seldom use Army anymore. I pull it out when soloing Problim but that's about it.

Blood Strike came off my bar a long time ago. The only time I ever use it is when I roll a new DK until I can replace it.

Blood Boil only sees action when I am soloing low enough level content that I can finish off an entire group of something in one or two hits.
85 Orc Death Knight
i go pve all the way

daylies and hiroics mainly, about to start really raiding

death strike missing sucks
on the other hand 500% nrmal threat instead of 300% from blood presence rocks, thanks bliz! now no one will be able to steal threat form me
the fact that your damage resistance relies apon your own usage of abilities
if death strike misses, there goeis your damage mitigation other chan cd's
open with outbreak and death and decay to build threat, dathstrike whenever you can, heart strike whenever a blood rune comes up, damage mitigation and other self ehals whenever not on cd, i love it
there were some interesting abilities on the list that your removed for cata
necrotic strike
85 Orc Death Knight
i personaly love blood taking
85 Orc Death Knight
that would rock, but, consiering my death strike hits for 26k thats too much of a dmage buff, but i do agree with you on the fact that death strike should heal for more, or aoutoatacks should have a 1% of ehaling yu for x
90 Dwarf Death Knight
PvE

Raids, some heroics

Having no way to drop threat. If I pull agro ( which can still happen even with the threat buff) then I am likely going to die since I have no way to reduce threat and drop agro. Also the in-efficiency of "raise ally". Since it only gives 20% health, it is generally left to our druid healer (while raiding) to rez someone during fights. It would be nice to have not-a-healer doing that sort of thing during boss fights

Having lots of dmg mitigation abilities that are not exclusive to the tanking spec. This can can keep me alive during high dmg output boss fights and also allows me to solo content that others cannot

There are still times during boss fights that I am left sitting on my heels because all my runes are on CD and I don't have enough RP to do anything with it.

Rotation is pretty good. Still feels a bit RNG with Killing Machine not proccing for long (~10 second) stretches sometimes, then proccing constantly while runes are on CD. Also have to constantly use 1 rune to refresh blood plague, at times it feels like end up "wasting" a KM proc

Having an ability to reduce threat, preferably something to completely drop it like FD or invis. A lesser CD on "empower rune weapon" would be nice. 5 minutes means that I have to pick exactly the right time to use it cause I won't get another chance at it. A buff to raise ally would be nice so that it is actually an effective combat rez.

blood strike, necrotic strike, raise ally in raids since other rezzes are more effective
90 Worgen Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [Both]

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Other]

If PvP, what type of PvP? [BGs]

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.[Choppy rotation]

What makes playing your class more fun?[Plate, tanking]

What makes playing your class less fun?[I'm going to say this very carfully: cooldowns. The rotation is choppy and unpredictable because of the rune system.]

How do you feel about your “rotation”? [It's unpredictable and derails if i need to sustain it for an extended period of time]

What’s on your wish list for your class?[swap some abilities from runes to runic power. Make it more mana like or rage like. I want to be able to do what i want when i want it. I hate waiting for cooldowns and it's confusing to keep track of what is down and what isn't. I'm a crybaby am i not...]

What spells do you use the least? [ghoul, that 10 sec str buff in frost, rune tap, runic strike, blood strike, That strike that refreshes diseases, diseases... I don't have a list atm, those should be the major ones.]
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Started on pvp initially because DK pvp is very fun for me. Have been moving into pve more recently

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Mostly zandalar heroics but I'm now getting closer to doing raids. I've done BH 10 and 25 now

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Arenas. I had a buddy i could do them with but i haven't done rated bg's yet. (PUG pvp seems to have high pressure...people rage pretty easy)

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
truthfully, i don't have any issues.

# What makes playing your class more fun?
the frequent, and frequently big crits i get with 2h frost. the great mix between melee and range abilities is just right for me. and chains of ice. my favorite ability. and also the simple mechanics to frost.

# What makes playing your class less fun?
i've tried tanking, and it feels uncomfortable (compared to my paladin). dnd and blood boil are your only aoe threat and then you spam death strike to stay alive. and the complexity of unholy. it seems all i'm doing is trying to spam death coil so i can get dark transformation. i guess i could put it like this: unholy = effort>ghoul>satisfaction, frost = effort>satisfaction

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
love frost rotation. i really get it and i get the goal (oCRITerate). like i said i can really feel the results of my effort pay off immediately. unholy, like i said, feels like all i'm doing is trying to spam coil for ghoul.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?
2h frost to be viable in pve dps. and for you to fix the acherus deathcharger animation. have you noticed that we rock back and forth really weirdly? whereas on other horses we don't.

# What spells do you use the least?
i've played each spec at least a little and every time the only one i NEVER used was dark simulcrum. maybe if it was backed up better with talent points it would be a more attractive ability. and also, i don't use blood boil often
85 Worgen Death Knight
Are you KIDDING me?! Is there even a POINT to this thread?!

A majority of us asked for more survivability in FROST and to make UNHOLY not so clunky and bugged.

What do you do? Buff Blood.

Thanks Blizzard, sure are earning those subscriptions aren't we?
90 Orc Death Knight
Predominately PvE, though I do PvP when the mood is just right. As far as specific types of PvE and PvP, as of now it's mainly heroic 5-mans and random battlegrounds. After 4.3, I will likely be getting some raiding done with LFR.

See above.

See above.

Killing Machine procs being unintentionally wasted on Frost Strike. The way I see it, Killing Machine should only apply to Obliterate since the majority of your DPS comes from that one ability. Having a proc wasted on Frost Strike due to bad timing is incredibly irritating.

Huge crits, the fast pace, and the option of dual-wielding or using a two-handed weapon depending on your preference. Dark Simulacrum is also hilariously fun.

So. Much. RNG. Also the aforementioned Killing Machine + Frost Strike issue.

As Frost, I enjoy it. Start off with Outbreak to get your diseases up, pop Horn of Winter, and start thwacking. When Rime procs, hit whatever you're fighting with Howling Blast and keep swinging.

Seeing Frost return as a tanking spec would be the best. Back when death knights were first announced, this was the biggest draw: a cursed, brooding warrior wielding a giant sword and protecting himself with icy magic. Blood just doesn't carry the same feel as Frost, which is kind of a downer.

Dark Simulacrum. That said, it's my favorite ability ever when I do.
70 Goblin Mage
Are you KIDDING me?! Is there even a POINT to this thread?!

A majority of us asked for more survivability in FROST and to make UNHOLY not so clunky and bugged.

What do you do? Buff Blood.

Thanks Blizzard, sure are earning those subscriptions aren't we?

THIS
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
You know I really do miss the old rune system it made the class fun, and I loved being a fast hitting plate wearer.

This new system with RE isn't all much fun or reliable the procs are to random and I'm starting to think RNG has a thing against me. ):

But yea I don't know 'bout everyone else but thats one of the things I loved most about being a Death Knight.
73 Human Death Knight
Both.
Other. Instances now and heroics when I'm able. One day...raids!
BG's for now.
Lack of personalization in character appearance, character history or affiliations that are game relevant, a residence or base for characters or guilds with features (ie. rooms, storage, food lockers,etc.), ways to "personalize" my skills and talents and the whole "life before 85" thing that makes me feel that all time playing Before 85 is irrelevant til I get to 85.
Playing the 'Dark Side' of the Alliance. The 'mystique' of the DK class that was prominent in starting area but has since all but disappeared.
One entire talent tree (unholy) has become almost unplayable via nerfs and limits. In general, having to know an instance before you get there to win. Gear dependence in general as opposed to play skill.
It's very predictable and un-fun to just memorize when to press which buttons. Worse is the game supports that type of play over ingenuity and creativity.
What’s on your wish list for your class? Making the Unholy DK worth playing again and seeing a balance between the specializations that still maintain distinctiveness.
What spells do you use the least? It's hard to say since I would be able to use so many more and REALLY play if I had more number keys and a more friendly UI. As is, I love the idea of the class but the way you have to constrict abilities due to UI limits makes it very difficult to play. Also, in general, there's no 'RP' in the RPG because it's become too mechanical. Despite the incredible sound and visual environment the designers have created that is a real work of art, the immersive storyline and all the extraordinary thing about WoW, "winning" in an instance has become a formula that must be followed very closely and has far to little room for a variety of styles or solutions. This game has everything original RPG'ers virtually prayed for but very few of the things that made RPG's special in the first place. In the old school days, we would have called this a disappointing hack-and-slash in a wonderful environment.
Edited by Ahzrukhal on 9/28/2011 9:41 PM PDT
45 Gnome Warlock
PVP is the main reason I play... but I also do some PVE

Raids 10man

ALL.. Love pvp!

There are times when all my runes are on cool down and I have no way of generating RP...

Death Grip! But I like the concept of a DK.. its very original (in my opinion) and I like the abilities that a DK has.

Survivability in PVP has tanked! People will focus a DK and mostly just having IBF is not enough as 20% dmg reduction does not seem to do much.. and if you miss your Death Strike or it gets parried or dodged.. then you die pretty fast...

Also it would be nice to know that there is a chance to beat a class.. like a Rogue. At the moment they see dk's as free kills... I am not saying there shouldn't be a class that might have an upper hand but it does get upsetting when you get jumped by a rogue and know that the fight is pretty much over.. this again goes to the issue of survivability... we wear plate and even with 3.8k resil.. it feels like I am playing a mage.

I also would like to play unholy but at the moment the pet has A TON of bugs... or at least issues that make it difficult to micro manage it! May be if it was easier to control it or fix issues that create situations in which your pet fails to perform an action and its ability gets put on a CD...

Its fine.

Fix survivability! I play Frost and love it.. but currently we are easy targets and can be "farmed" by some classes pretty consistantly.

Obliterate should reflect the name... I find that this action is underutilized due to other actions (like NS) being better. I don't mean that you need to nerf NS to make Oblit seem to be better as this would be creating a new problem.. but I do want to actually want to use Oblit more often.

I play Frost... but when I tried other trees I found that I used spells/actions that I do not use in Frost.
85 Undead Death Knight
PVP all the way!

I do all of these.

There are times when all runes are on cd and it is difficult to generate any amount of runic power.

PVP! Death Grip. I picked a Dk based on the dark story line and like the mechanics of Frost.

Survivability is definitely a big issue! I don't mind losing to people in pvp but there are certain classes that I can pretty much never win against... I don't mean that some classes shouldn't have an upper hand.. but some just see dks as free honor (ie Rogues) and it gets frustrating when you pretty much know that the fight is over when get into combat with one.

One big issue is IBF.. good ability but 20% dmg reduction is not very noticed. It could use a buff or some modifications. At the same time.. this is also coming from the perspective that a plate wearing person with 3.8k resil gets "dropped" pretty fast.. at this point something feels wrong. I am no expert but I played my dk for a while and know the abilities to use to increase my chance of survival (and use them!) but when they almost always delay the inevitable death.. the game becomes less fun/satisfying.

Its fine.

Increase survivabilty! (Frost seems pretty squishy.. and that's quiet off when you think about it.. plate + high resil.. should be able to take some dmg.. )
Fix Death Strike mechanics...
Get rid of Death Gate Glyph.. its pretty useless..
Give us stealth? lol jk.. but then again u did give it to mages....!! there can always be hope =P

I mostly use Frost.. but when I was in Unholy or Blood I used the appropriate spells for that spec.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]