(Locked)

100 Human Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
heroics / raids / a few heroic raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
reg bgs if anything

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
rune tetris, and the battle rez requiring runic power, should be 0 runic power (personaly i liked the old raise ally as a ghoul)

What makes playing your class more fun?
well, now i am a tank (for guild needs, and its fine) but i do miss the old blood spec, or the old UH blight AOE, it made me feel like DKs were plate warlock death machines. a real hero class so to speak. So currently i would say when death strikes go off correctly and i don't get screwed by the RNG, that being able to survive with a healer down and saving the day on a boss kill is fun. I would be lying if i said i didn't miss the good old insane blood dps crits and armor pen.

What makes playing your class less fun?
when a DS misses or a damage spike hits at the wrong time, and then have everyone go "well thats the problem with DKs". as for my dps spec, when i was UH it felt like the were a lot of CDs to watch for when to use and you needed to stack them for optimal pet buffing (it wasn't that hard its just really the only thing that comes to mind) and i really wish haste affected the dot ticks. (maybe a mastery change ?). I am trying out frost now and it seems very twitchy to me, almost like whack a mole, it works for some, but its just not for me.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
tank: its fine, although it seems like every time i need to refresh diseases my runes are on the longest cool down ever. the upcoming 30 sec outbreak is nice, but 15 or 20 would be better so we wouldn't need to take epidemic

What’s on your wish list for your class?
for some reason i thought (back pre wotlk) that DKs would in some way be plate casters, or at least one spec would have been, that way it wouldn't be such a waste making caster plate for one spec of one class. also i always felt we are the anti-pally class. oh, and more runeforges please (maybe a silly one that has chance to make target a ghoul)

Blood : better passives, old blood aura self heal to come back, aoe taunt
frost: i honestly don't know since i am new to the spec
unholy: change mastery to affect disease tick time, make AMZ take a hell of a lot more damage in PVE, make option to take gargoyle or ghoul as perm pet (think wind serpent or cat hunter pets), aoe outbreak (hey, its a wish list right), old unholt blight aoe please

What spells do you use the least?
the longer the CD the more i forget it or keep saving for an "oh sh*t" moment ... army of the dead is probably my most underused spell. i love it mind you, but not enough situations where i get to use it.
87 Night Elf Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on?
PvE, 5-mans with an eye toward raiding (historically, my system has been too poor to handle raids, so I'm behind the curve on large-scale PvE experience).

Diseases suck. They're bland, disappointing, have no bite, no effect, no purpose. They exist solely as a remedial chore to ensure my Strikes do full damage, or that I'm not taking even more excessive damage than usual while tanking.

As a Lock, Spriest, Boomkin... hell, Fire Mage... putting up DoTs feels like you're doing something important. You start tab-Dotting a trash pack, you know you're causing serious injury to many individuals.

As DK, it's like throwing popcorn at a pack of tigers. They're an utterly underwhelming mechanic and just a total, forgettable chore. Let me put it this way: I put up Diseases because I have to, never because I want to.

A big part of the problem is that Diseases consume valuable Runes that could be used on something exciting, instead of two horribly piddle abilities that barely scratch your opponent. Outbreak helps a bit, but even 4.3's proposed 30-second Outbreak won't remedy the area where they're most irritating: situations with frequent new opponents (eg, trash pulls).

Any time you need to re-start your opening cycle frequently, Diseases become an obnoxious chore that ends up just getting skipped wherever possible. Spending 2 Runes that frequently just to buff your Strikes / reduce damage can be a useless/untenable trade-off.

Admittedly, Diseases feel like much less of a chore for Unholy, because Festering Strike is fun — as Heartless puts it, "it's like watering a plant of doom". I feel rewarded for keeping Diseases up as Unholy, rather than outright penalized. (of course, this doesn't change how much they suck on trash)

As an example off-the-cuff idea, if you deleted IT/PS and made Outbreak baseline (perhaps costing a Rune or two, or just with a CD), and then gave all 3 DK specs a FeS analogue that allowed them to roll Diseases while feeling like you're doing something meaningful/cool, it would help alot. Note that by "FeS analogue" I don't necessarily mean "complete clone".

More extremely, revamping Diseases from the ground up as something more interesting than "garbage DoT you are forced to shove on things" would be awesome. I would honestly love to feel like Diseases are something sinister/cool/fearsome that I bring to the table, rather than requisite piddle.

The Rune/RP system is lovely. It makes playing DK feel mechanically distinct from every other class. It does have a learning curve and I admit, I was put off from DK for a long time by the intimidating resource system. But, now that I've taken the time to get used to it, I love it, and I really do miss my Runes when I play other systems (like Mana).

Anti-Magic Shell. It's a simple little ability, but the short CD and versatile applications make it a very fun button to press. I absolutely love it, and AMS is by far the ability I miss most about DK when I play another class. You should return the RP-generation to baseline, though — one of the most fun things about Unholy is the ability to feel rewarded for standing in fire. For example, I'll deliberately camp just outside the eye of the Shadow Gale on Erudax and spam Death Coil like crazy before strafing to safety. That kind of stuff is SO fun!

Outbreak, but only by virtue of making Diseases less anti-fun. (did I mention I dislike the current implementation of the Disease system? Because the Disease system is terrible. Just FYI.)

Death Grip. I don't think about it much while playing DK, because it becomes second-nature — like reaching out to grab something on my desk IRL. I see a mob I want, I just automatically "reach out" and grab it. It's pretty great how natural it ends up feeling after playing DK awhile. Great feature. Although, I'd prefer a slightly shorter CD — 15-20s would feel better, unless that creates PvP balance issues.

I think we've heard enough about Diseases from me.
85 Orc Death Knight

both

raids

arenas, bgs, wpvp

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

much of our survivability is linked to death strike. but buffing it puts us over the top.

decision making can change the flow of an engagement.

rune tetris and squishiness in pve. in pvp it'd have to be overall survivability vs melee.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

it's fine cept for the rune tetris in blood requiring a lot more of the player than anyone else.

A revamp of death strike to act more like recuperate. This would allow glyph of dark succor to be put back the way it was and it would remove the need for death strike spam.
Along with the death strike change moving bone shield to be our mastery/"block mechanic"
would allow a bit more parity between plate tanks. Maybe even tack on a warrior-esque chance to block more than the standard 20% once in a while provided you activate the death strike hot. Of course the healing would have to be limited to a portion of your health without the X% of dmg from the last X seconds.

Something like this would free up runes in blood and allow for choices in the strikes we use.
It'd also combine a passive & active mitigation model giving a feeling of layered mitigation. Hopefully if the numbers tilt properly all tanks could follow the model of having the low end passive mitigation and then the activated chance at higher mitigation.

Blood Strike
Edited by Akhenyu on 9/12/2011 2:08 PM PDT
85 Draenei Hunter
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]: dungeons and quests

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]: arena

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.: make them more complicated in general

What makes playing your class more fun?:
2 resources and death grip

What makes playing your class less fun?:
the fact plague strike can be parried

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.): its solid

What’s on your wish list for your class?: more gimicky abilities like dark simulacrum

What spells do you use the least?: dont know probably anti magic zone
80 Draenei Death Knight
Just as a side note this is not my main dk :s left authenticator at home d'oh

What type of content do you focus on? Both
If PvE, what type of PvE? Raids, hardly do any HM or instances for the lack of time
If PvP, what type of PvP? BG's, RBGS when the guild wants to run some, rarely arenas
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? just the feeling that unholy/frost are to similar
What makes playing your class more fun? dark transformation
What makes playing your class less fun? blood tanking with out a shield
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) i love the unholy rotation, dont care for the frost rotation
What’s on your wish list for your class? a shield for tanking
What spells do you use the least? dark sim =/ it has such a great use but so limited at the same time.
85 Orc Death Knight
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE]

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Raids]

If PvP, what type of PvP? [BGs]

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Frost Presence is worthless, and its talent is just a filler for DW/2H frost builds. Due to our increased dependency for haste, Unholy presence with its movement speed, reduced global. I've been playing in unholy presence so long, I can not see myself playing without the reduced global.

Killing Machine procs as DW Frost, feels more luck based than proc based. Can receive 10 procs in 30 seconds, then not get another proc for over a minute.

Raise ally requires a lot of RP to be used for it, but brings back an ally with very little health(mana). Sometimes allys' raised die to raid aoe damage(fireland heroic mode) A minor/major glyph near the potency of druids would fix this, or lowering the Runic Power needed by 50%

For a very late 3 talent point ability, sudden doom does not proc as much as you would think. Possibly having this increase Death Coil or DnD damage/cooldown would seem more appropriate.

Unholy has very weak AOE damage causing them to be forced to kite as Frost, play Frost subpar, or be subbed out.

Unholy permanent ghoul does not fly/attack Razor if you go in the air. Ghoul dies/despawns if you go up on the web for beth'tilac.

Uniqueness, defensive cooldowns as a DPS

Killing machine procs!!!
Extremely high dependency on haste for higher damage output. Need to have to play in Unholy presence to be competitive damage for my raid spot.
Feeling like I am just a raid cooldown as unholy.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

DW Frost is luck (KM proc) based. Has potential for great dps, but you can just have bad nights due to KM procs, available runes. Tight rotation with probability for high downtime. Viewed as a superior Melee dps class, the recent changes to Howling blast have made us mote in that regard.

Unholy is easy to play with less room for error, higher Runic Power generation with a talent to reduce RP dump with a glyph to increase it's damage. Frost does not have that.

Festering Strike work on Offhand for DW.
Diseases benefit from HASTE
More open DW frost play.
Revamped Frost Presence.
Improved unholy AOE.
Ghoul fixes (Unholy permanent ghoul does not fly/attack Razor if you go in the air. Ghoul dies/despawns if you go up on the web for beth'tilac.)
Lastly improvement for Raise ally.

Unholy
Blood Strike
Necrotic Strike
Blood Boil
Icy Touch
Plague Strike

Frost
Blood Strike
Festering Strike
Necrotic Strike
Blood Boil
Icy Touch
Edited by Shádows on 9/12/2011 5:42 PM PDT
87 Night Elf Death Knight
As Unholy, it's beautiful. It really clicks, feels VERY fun, and Festering Strike even turns Disease management into (dare I say it?) fun. I love the Unholy cycle. I really do. It just needs some help with how awkward it feels on trash due to Disease reliance (again, a problem which lies at root with how expensive Diseases are to apply frequently, for such dubious actual gain).

As Frost, it's... well, I want to say something more constructive than "retarded", so I'll say "spastic". Honestly, Frost appeals to a more kinetic/button-mashing style of play, and I think the cycle itself is pretty much fine from that perspective. It just feels... I don't know... dumb. Like, I get rewarded way too much for the level of effort I actually put in while Frost spec.

Part of the problem, though, is that Frost forces you into a nonstop GCD-lock (exacerbated by MotFW when 2H, and by Runic Empowerment putting pressure on you to keep all Runes cooling at all times — you have to keep spending RP or you'll cap, but if you spend RP without triggering Runic Emp you're doing it wrong, and throw in KM and Freezing Fog on top of this). Thus, Frost has too much to "do" already — there's no room to add in much strategy, even with the 1s GCDs of Unholy Presence. Mash or die. (I thought the Rune redesign in Cata was supposed to stop this? But here we are, all over again. :p)

As Blood, which is where my primary experience comes from, I'm torn. On the one hand, Runic Empowerment is a curse that adds a level of randomness/unpredictability that I really do not want to deal with while keeping track of everything else while tanking. On the other hand, Runic Emp adds an awesome amount of layering and complexity and makes Blood really interesting to use. It's a love/hate thing.

I will say that my Runes just never feel quite right while tanking. Either it's easy trash/simple bosses, where I have too many Death Strikes and never enough HS/BB/Pest available (especially mass AoE... ughhh). Or it's nasty trash/bosses, where I have too many Bloods and never enough Death Strikes available. Add in trying to find 3 GCDs (unless PS gets Parried, WHICH IT ALWAYS WILL, TRUST ME) at the start of a pull every trash pack to put up/spread Diseases, and the Runes just get really frustrating.

That's the clunkiest thing about Blood — Diseases just sour everything. I want to do a good job as a tank, so I want to put the important debuffs up. But the cost in GCDs and resources is extremely harsh, especially on trash packs, where even 30s Outbreak won't be frequent enough to avoid needing to constantly IT/PS.

A rebuilt Disease system where diseases actually feel cool/significant/dangerous/meaningful.

Return a way to reduce the CD on Death and Decay. I really miss 15s DnD while tanking; in Cata I end up having to alternate it every other pull, which just feels awkward. Actually, ideally, make DK less reliant on "nuking" multi-target Threat with DnD — the ability is too strong, and lacking it feels painful while having it up makes the pull feel ludicrously easy. Way too stark/binary.

Give Dark Simulacrum a more consistent / clear purpose in PvE. It's very unpredictable and arbitrary right now (unlike Spellsteal, which is intuitive and extremely fun to discover the best buffs to harvest), and ranges from either useless (>= 90%) or stupidly OP (Zanzil Fire, lololol). DSim in PvE feels like one of the crudest, most "Alpha-quality" abilities in the game, to be frank. It's just bizarre.

Death Pact. It's a cool idea, but costing 40 RP, requiring banking two cooldowns, and requiring 2 sequential GCDs for a, honestly, moderate heal in what should only be emergency situations is badly counter-intuitive. It's a very awkward ability. This isn't to say it can't be powerful when used strategically, but those situations are few and far between.

That's really it, though. One of the awesome things about DK is how streamlined the ability set is — I really don't feel like I have any bad or useless spells. Everything I keybind feels important and useful, and I use pretty much the whole toolbox all the time. You've done a really great job designing the overall ability set for the DK class. :>

* Addendum: Alright, yes, admittedly there are a few abilities which currently could just be wiped from existence, namely Blood Strike and Frost Presence. But those are mostly design oversights atm.
Edited by Notbonfleur on 9/12/2011 11:43 AM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight

PvP

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arenas/Rated BG's

Having some type of defense against melee classes/better healing than our current Licheborn and sacrifice pet. At the moment,we have great defenses against casters but nothing against melee classes which allows them to constantly beat us down as if our armor had no mitigation

The thought and back story of a death knight is just pure awesome!

Frost Death knights having to go unholy presence to do more dmg and more mobility,along with defenses against melee (Allows us to get focused in each arena match)

As for as rotation for frost DK in PvP,I like the rotation. Outbreak,NS,HB,HB,HB,frost strike dump. BUT! Oblitierate becomes quite useless in situations and icy touch is bearly used because Howling blast does more consistent High dmg.

- We need more defenses against melee: examples
:(Warriors have:Shield wall/regen/shield block)(Rogues:Combat Readiness/stealth away recuperate)(Ret pallys:Have the ability to bubble/aura in order to be immune to hits for a short time) Therefore we only have Icebound fortitude which decreases dmg by 6% which is not much.
- BETTER ways of healing as a frost Death knight
- remove cast on Hungering Cold since its the only "Stun" we currently have.
-improve dmg on icy touch on par with Howling blast

What spells do you use the least

icy touche/fastering strike/rune strike/blood boil
85 Undead Death Knight

• What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
    • PvE

• If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
    • 10m Raiding

• What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
    • Tanking. There are a few specific fights that it seems like we're all saying, gosh we need a shield tank for this. We found Alysrazor particularly difficult when tanking the birds to have me paired with the druid healer as the combo just was not effective for that fight. I feel like I panic the healers when I let my health dip a bit to spam death strikes and build blood shield. Especially since I'm almost obligated to reforge away hit and exp for more mitigation it makes tanking as a DK much more difficult.

• What makes playing your class more fun?
    • Playing as blood definitely feels unique and engaging. It also feels like we fill specific roles in that for certain magic damage heavy fights it feels like we're better suited than on the fights that are pure physical damage.

• What makes playing your class less fun?
    • The spiked damage we take compared to other tanks and the uselessness of hit/exp when it comes to tanking for anyone other than DKs.

• How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
    • Rotations are dead. It's all about priority.

• What’s on your wish list for your class?
    • Something to help with the spike damage issue. The couple of thoughts I've had around the problem were things like modifying the mechanic for Dancing Rune Weapon. Changing DRW into a permanent tanking minion which is mostly on auto but maybe has 1 or 2 abilities. This could help fix the hit/exp problem by allowing death strike effects to filter through DRW and onto the DK. So if I miss a death strike I still have a chance for it to hit via the DRW and to gain the healing and blood shield (knowing the game, probably at a rate of 60%-70% of my actual hit) so that I'm not waiting an entire GCD to mitigate damage. Also I'd like to see the leaching effects of blood presence return. If we had self-healing via blood presence and our melee strikes it might help level out the spike damage as well.

• What spells do you use the least?

• As a tank, festering strike and possibly dark simulacrum (though I have been attempting to use it on Ragnaros with mixed success). I'd love to see more dark simulacrum-able abilities on bosses and especially on trash. Threat no longer being an issue though it seems like I'm using fewer of my abilities than before.
Edited by Jimsatank on 9/12/2011 11:45 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
  • What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
  • PVE
  • If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
  • Raids/Heroics
  • What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
  • Decrease the RP cost of Raise Ally or even none, in the middle of a fight, sometimes i dont have 60 RP just pooling and even so, thats quite a bit for a rez that often times they faceplant to wacky AoE or random attack.
  • I love the feel of the DK class. The rune system, the resource system, the attacks and lore.
  • Being pigeon-holed into a specific spec. I realize that I guess there was a need to specialize the talent trees for balancing reasons, but it was so nice to be able to pick the spec you wanted and play it for either DPS or Tank and it was largely viable across the board to a degree.
  • How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
  • Im not a fan of it at all. Its not fun sitting there auto attacking because im resourced starved or due to bad RNG. But, with that being said, i wasnt the biggest stickler for traditional 1-3-2-1 roations either because it was bland and boring. I like making decisions, but when im waiting around its much worse. This needs to be fixed and I dont know if making Frost Pres viable again would be the solution but it would be a start. I dont think it is the companys wish to have us neglect core abilities to our specs in light of other ones outside the tree.
  • What’s on your wish list for your class?
  • Bring back Blood DPS in some way, shape, or form. I dont understand why you took one of the top DPS specs away from us from WOTLK and made it solely the tanking tree. For those of us that played it exclusively, what were we given back in return? The choice to Spec Unholy and have to micro-manage a pet now if we want to use 2h, tank if you want to stay blood, or DW which doesnt fit my idea of a DK really. I liked the idea of having all 3 talent trees open and viable for each role and I thought it was your design goal to possbily make the original classes function in such a way at some point.
  • Well, the original attacks we start out with very rarely get used at all in any of the specs. Also, the ability everyone saw in the WOTLK trailer, AOTD, is such a cool ability but has so many annoying factors to it. I wish/would love to see this reworked to be more useful instead of largely making the tanks mad and being a 10min eye candy ability.
    90 Orc Death Knight
    I usually try to go about on PVE, it's a bit tough sometimes on PVP when all of my gear is towards raiding and stuff.

I usually do heroics and I try to get into raids, but people usually want an item level that is way above what is necessary.

Sometimes I can run out of runes at the wrong moments and I only find myself using rune strike until the runes recharge.

Deathgrip (get over here!)

Not being able to name my ghoul pet or have different types of undead servants. Nobody really uses the unholy spec and keep a ghoul out. I usually only pull a ghoul out only to sacrifice it for the health.

It's decent

Naming pets, different pets, Really epic looking armor.

Anti-Magic Shell

Thanks for reading.
    85 Undead Death Knight

Both, about 70% PvE, 30% PvE.

5-mans when needed, otherwise 10-man raids (normal -> heroic)

All, though finding RBG groups can be a pain. Mostly Arenas for points and the occasional BG for fun.

I find that the DK class has very few excellent quality of life issues in general, but there are a few things.
  • Pet management as UH is awful and very difficult. Better AI would help a lot with this.

• Tanking many adds as a DK is very, very not fun. Maloriak and Ryolith, as examples, are painful. Either buff Bloodboil, reduce cooldown on DND, give us an AoE taunt, something to make multi-target tanking more bearable. Even with the aggro buff, our AoE threat is low, and our mitigation is horrible since we're spending deathstrike runes on AoE abilities.

• AoE: I miss the emphasis on diseases for damage and the old version of Unholy Blight. The idea of unholy as a kind of plate warlock spreading corruption was very fun.

• the "DK" feel of spells like Army of the Dead (with no pet management!), Death and Decay (super cool spell!) and Hungering Cold.

• The movement speed buffs are also very cool: they make you feel different and special. When it works, dark sim is incredibly fun as well.

• AMS is awesome

• Deathgrip is awesome - probably one of the top abilities

• Deathgrip immunities. It is so annoying and arbitrary when it works and when it doesn't. There is no reason why it shouldn't work on rooted targets, especially if YOU just rooted them.

• The backwards nature of blood tanking is very un-fun. Rune Strike/Death Rune relationship makes your tanking even more random. Bone Shield does too little to be of use. Our Death Strike mitigation is HORRIBLE against multiple mobs, which goes against the feeling of the class. We have a cleave, pestilence, DND, and a bunch of other spells that basically say "go tank many mobs, but deathstrike mitigation functions poorly against several targets.

• Another arbitrary issue is dark sim in PvE. It's a crapshoot when it works and when it doesn't, which is very annoying. Another complaint here is how it's been made so that sim'd spells do trivial damage. When a mob's spell hits you for 15k, and you send it back for like 500 dmg, you're just wasting my time. Take the spell away if that's how you want it to work. I love the ability, but the current implementation is haphazard and annoying.

Frost is very, very fun. Zero complaints.
    UH is very spammy, and feels unpolished. There isn't really a system, and that makes it annoying.
    Blood is fundamentally enjoyable, and way more engaging than other tanking rotations, but the inherent contradictions in how the various DK mechanics interact take away from the enjoyment.

Don't change frost!
      Fix Blood
      Polish UH
      Bring back some of the AoE focus
      Ghoul or Undead related summon spells like army
      Allow us to rez people as ghouls again, even if its just cosmetic!
      More surviability in PVP (death strike healing nerf left us very vulnerable)
      AoE Outbreak would be AWESOME
      Bring back Unholy Blight. A damaging aura was incredibly fun
      Instant Hungering Cold please - we are pretty weak right now, and we don't have any other kind of CC.
      Ghoul naming and some kind of pet customization system, a choice of various models perhaps?
      AoE Deathcoil spam for blood!

Bone shield, for what it does, sees very little use.
      Blood Strike (lol, like never ever ever)
      Blood Boil (weak)
      Gargoyle (not used as much as it should be, due to being such a pain)
    Edited by Syriat on 9/12/2011 3:40 PM PDT
    85 Draenei Paladin
    I focus on both, but mainly PvP

Heroics

All of the above, usually BGs

To be honest, i dont see many, but i see deathknight tanks die almost instantly in raids.

Melee with a little taste of magic with mana absorbing shields that make casters go running ^^

Harder to grab a tank set than Paladins or Warriors make it hard to start out in heroics

My rotation is great, but as Blood PvP i think more of the ranged abilities could be slightly more effective than they are now

Shields, Tank 2hs

Death Coil.
    100 Human Death Knight
    What type of content do you focus on?
    I try to do both PvE and PvP.

If PvE, what type of PvE?
    I raid in the Firelands, we're currently learning Alysrazor. Otherwise, I enjoy farming old raids, although that hardly counts.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
    I do Arena 2s. It's always been my favorite bracket, although horribly pigeonholed into comp > skill. I also try to BG/TB when possible.

In PvE, I have very few complaints. Hit and expertise have always felt like pointless, toll-bridge-blocking-me-on-my-way-to-having-fun stats, and as such I've ignored them as I can, and I'm thankful that's now "right" when tanking. My AE threat kind of lacks and blood boil feels more than a little pointless unless specced, which few people will bother with, so it'd be helpful if there was a minor threat modifier on it. Granted, the recent threat buffs have made it much easier (especially in the weekly troll grind), but on some fights like Rhyolith when I have to gather adds, if I get 2-3 fragments in a row, there's no way I'm going to have a DnD up in time and blood boil doesn't do enough for gathering them up unless our hunter has misdirect up.

In PvP, Unholy is the spec I prefer and it's competitive with Frost, but it still feels like the lesser of two specs. Dark Pacting either pet or having either killed is crippling, both as utility and damage (burst from the gargoyle, sustained from the ghoul), to the point that dark pact feels a bit hard to cast. Now, of course, that's most likely the design--unholy has a strong pet, so the other team killing said pet is supposed to suck or eating it to stay alive is supposed to be a "I'd rather be alive and do less damage than die" choice, but it feels like a forced choice--obviously I'd rather live. I often feel like a non-threat to any resto shaman or holy paladins, as paladins can just run away forever, and even if I can get them low they have a hundred ways to stay alive, shaman seem to be more annoyed by my presence than threatened.

So far, blood is the only tank spec I enjoy because there's more to it than just hitting cooldowns that help me block. I feel like I'm dpsing while tanking, which is extremely fun, and the amount of control I have in 5 mans is pretty addicting. Dark Simulacrum is amazingly fun, as I never know what I will or won't get, but it's always a fun surprise.

In PvP, the fun ebbs and flows. I like fighting a good 1v1 fight against another dps of any non-frost mage class and being both good damage and good support makes me feel like a very productive member of any team, even if the rest of the team is busy fighting in the roads.

In PvE, the missing/dodged/parried death strikes irritate me because it doesn't feel like it would on dps: "Uh oh, you wasted a GCD! Now your dps is going to choke!" No, it feels like "Well, I hope the next one hits or I may be in severe trouble." Also, a lack of reliable AE threat hurts to the point that otherwise fast 5 mans may drag to a halt as I wait for DnD to get back up assuming any of the dps is competent in the slightest or else they'll end up tanking at least one mob. Yes, I get this is "justice" when they are on the wrong mob, but I take pride in being a good, if not great, tank. I'd rather not have my dps die because I decided to pull while mashing blood boil and their first hard hitting move pulls off of me.

In PvP, Unholy feels like the "special” spec. Frost just seems to outperform it based on mechanics, and bridging the gap between myself and an equally geared frost DK is incredibly hard, no matter how skilled I am. Anything else I'd have to say about PvP would involve wondering how people think feral druids and frost mages are balanced in any context, so I'll just leave it with this sentence that probably should be edited out, but when simply seeing a frost shield on a caster or a leader of the pack buff on an enemy is enough to make me already not want to try on any character I have, there's a problem.

It's okay. I mean... there are times I have to death strike for the sake of runic/threat at the beginning of a fight, but after that it feels like unless I just got clobbered that death strike has been wasted. Having to constantly empty out my blood runes to take less damage is less than awesome, but it's not bad or anything. I'd like to be able to keep the diseases up without it eating a death strike. (Wall of text continues next.)
    100 Human Death Knight
    I'd like to see things tweaked for blood to make it more desirable in raids and less desirable in PvP as anything but a flag carrier. I used to think Death Strike and the mastery associated with it would make more sense shielding you based on the damage it dealt (as if using the enemy's life force against them more directly) rather than the amount it healed, but now that I can routinely get crits for 70k or more, yeah, not so much. I guess I don't have any direct suggestions in that regard.
    Army of the Dead still feels a bit useless aside from soloing old content and "The offtank has taken over, let me contribute 200 extra dps by reenacting Thriller!", as does anything with a ghoul outside of unholy, although Raise Dead-Dark Pact has saved my life a few times.
    I haven't used Blood Tap since I had the T10 bonus for it. I guess it'd be okay if Runic Empowerment triggered either frost or unholy, all other runes were down, and I really needed to Death Strike, but I haven't really missed it at all.
    Dancing Rune Weapon I use almost exclusively when I have a ton of runic and a large threat lead over the other tank, or just to *hopefully* get a parry when I need it. It's one of those "forced" cooldowns--not particularly good, but you have to get it, so you may as well use it.
    I use Blood Boil to gather adds when DnD is off of cooldown and in huge pulls, but I use it so rarely that it isn't usually even on a bound button unless I know for a fact I'm going to use it.
    And uh, Death Coil, but I'm pretty sure that's intended.
    85 Goblin Death Knight
    PvE

Raiding

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be
    considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
  • Bloodshield usage for tanks requires exterior mods (monitoring the amount of damage took within 5 seconds) that I'm willing to bet the majority of DK tanks don't use or know exist.

• DK Tanking has a large initial burst threat problem in that Dancing Rune Weapon (Glyphed) takes 60 RP to use, and is often not needed by the time you cycle through your runes to get 60rp, nor are many of your abilities even available for it's duration after you do. On top of this, just having a tanking CD that requires so many resources to activate is counter-intuitive.

• Our newly acquired battle res having no glyph to increase the health given upon accepting the res, making it more dangerous than the classes it was copied from. Still grateful to have it, but for half our RP, it could be slightly more useful in the chaotic heroic raid environment

• As for DPS, in PVE, there's no real closing ability that let's you get to a boss quicker, which is very crucial for melee. We can pull things to us, but when you aren't a tank, taunting a boss (and not even pulling him to you, because you can't pull bosses :P) isn't a smart idea

Having to take on roles of kiting or ranged AE while being a meathead melee class. Gives a sense of a different style of play, while remaining a melee class for the majority of PvE content. A little spice is always nice.

See below:

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are
    used to maximum efficiency.)
    Right now, post-Wrath, it is the super proc/RNG based gameplay. There's no real planning of rotations, or any semblance of a plan as far as what you're going to attack with. You have to pay attention to Killing Machine procs, Runic Empowerment procs, on top of your total number of Runic Points, and manage all of that in a fairly RNG system. This is all before watching DoT timers and of course boss mechanics.

Now, while it is more fun than the 18 button static rotation of Wrath (of which I had memorized, and could do any of the mechanics of any Heroic ICC boss while punching out my rotation perfectly), it just leads to an overly sporadic system where in many fights as soon as you start getting haste procs, Bloodlust/Heroism, or just a lucky string of RE procs, thing's just start to snowball, and you're left with way too much to manage just to do your average level of DPS.

I really wish there was a way to either use up RP faster for more damage in less GCDs, or maybe turn excess RP into health, more runes, a small fire and forget pet, something. Unholy has the problem (and this doesn't sound like a problem) of getting just a downpour of runes when you get several RC procs in a row, and then having to spam out Scourge Strike while trying to keep an eye on which runes are death or regular to manage Festering Strike to optimally keep DoT timers refreshed. It just feels like mashing buttons to anyone but people who are robots.

• Unholy and Frost specs to be back and forth on boss DPS like in ICC.

• Different means of using up RP. Summoning quick fire and forget pets, maybe a small party heal, something utility based.

• Adding more abilities that will just feel more like a Death Knight :)

• Necrotic Strike, as there isn't really a need for it in PVE, at least not that any one single DK could hope to overcome

• Dark Simulacrum, obviously it will have limited uses in PVE, but there are really no good uses that I've seen besides Phase 1 Rag (which is just a small damage spell, nothing fun) and Zul'Aman (The Voodoo Fire spell, whatever it's called, is actually a good spell if you can land it on the boss, everyone thinks big numbers are fun :) )

• Blood Strike, thanks to Heart Strike, Festering Strike, and Frost's permanent death runes... NO ONE uses it anymore. Not that it's a bad thing though. It could be considered the lower level blood rune strike that gets replaced, like other classes have.

• Anti-Magic zone, the damage soaked, especially in a raid format, just makes it completely useless.
  • 85 Human Death Knight

Hungering Cold. Why do we have to waste a talent point in that again its not even useful in pvp anymore 10 yard range for a 1.5 second cooldown wow you can walk out of range in time
    85 Orc Death Knight
    god guys use quotes before you respond or no one will want to read your post it just seems like some giant mash of words.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]