Class Feedback – Priest

(Locked)

90 Troll Priest
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
Pve

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

I love raiding but if u compare the hours spent on it, I spend far more time in 5's

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

I have none, unless mana costs or dropping shadowform to use non shadowform spells count. If I am not keeping close watch on rotation between mana gaining cooldowns then I can easily hemorage out mana til oom. There are times I use non shadowform spells, leap of faith flash of light hymn of hope, that break form. In some cases it would have resulted in a tank death if I hadn't, but it always feels like punishment whenever I break from my rotation to do it. It's impacting my dps and there's no self benefit like the utility that was built into ret paladins and even worse it breaks form.

What makes playing your class more fun?

The idea of playing a caster that's using shadow or black magics to fight is a cool concept. Warlocks don't even do that, they set things on fire and curses. And when you set up everything proper in rotation and on a good day you can just rip something apart.

What makes playing your class less fun?

We could use more direct damage abillites or visuals for the ones we already have. The visual effect of a lightning bolt flying through the air is one of my favorite aspects of my elemental shaman but shadow priests don't have that. There's no visceral feel to the fact that your pressing buttons is doing anything except creating yellow numbers that fill your screen.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I like it fine. It's challenging but not so focus required that it kills you too keep it up. On my aff lock it always felt like I had a choice between awareness and watching my dot timers, shadow priests don't feel like that at all.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

I think some changes could be made to mindspike. We got this new spell that's only useful at the beginning of an encounter, which would be great if encounters weren't running as long as 7 or ten minutes straight.

And I wish that the timers for devouring plague and vampire touch were closer together. or maybe 2 seconds apart.

Any other complaints were mentioned in answering the questions in the above, more visual effects, mana annoyances.

What spells do you use the least?

Compared to the rest, shadow spike.
85 Blood Elf Priest

PvE.

Raids.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Chakra can be a nuisance sometimes. It's very easy to accidentally use the wrong ability while you have Chakra active, and then you've basically screwed yourself for 30 seconds, which in a raiding environment can feel like a very long time. There's also the fact that it has an unlimited duration, which is nice. However, this makes the fact that it's an activated ability seem kind of pointless. I feel Chakra would be much better if it was a passive ability that dynamically changed depending on what spells you happen to be casting.

As a holy priest, I like raid healing. Having to manage many health pools rather than only one or two (tank healing) is a lot of fun for me.

As mentioned above, Chakra can be annoying some times. I also find that holy priests lack mobility sometimes.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

As a healer, I don't really have a strict rotation, but holy priest healing methods seem fine to me. I don't think anything needs to change.

I've always wanted Levitate to be expanded to something more fun and give the priest something recognizable. First off, I'd like it to have a unique animation while you float around. I also think it would be pretty neat if it could be developed into a mount of some kind, like the flying clouds in Mario games. xD

Holy Nova, probably. It's just not powerful enough to be useful. I don't use Heal very often either. It, too, doesn't seem to do enough healing to keep people alive in most raid encounters. I find myself using Greater Heal in it's place most of the time.
90 Human Priest
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]:

PvE on the priest since Cata.
If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]:

Raids. I might do the occasional Random Zeroic, but I pretty much get my VP strictly through raids.
If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]:

I save the PvP for my resto druid!

I never really did get into the swing of Chakra. Though I had been Holy straight up to Lich King (the boss, not just the xpac), I've switched to Disc. Double Disc, in fact, a raid spec and a soloing old stuff/dailies spec. I had a holy os for a while for raid healing, but it's pretty much just been ruined for me with the new mechanics. Not really much of a complaint though, and I'm sure a lot of people have complained. I just find holy to be (for my own personal playstyle) less fun than it used to be, as well as less versatile. Not that it isn't still versatile, just not to the same degree as it once was. However, since I am quite happily a disc specced priest now, perhaps I really oughtn't give such negative feedback on the now core mechanic of a spec I no longer play, and should let holy priests state their own irritations.

I guess the only quality of life issue I ever really had was solved with the disc changes and addition of atonement. Before I really couldn't solo on my priest, hated doing dailies, and logged other toons to farm. However, now that she can do damage, even if not a ton, and heal herself while doing it, I find questing/farming/soloing on her isn't completely awful anymore! =D

I enjoy being a tank healer, though I certainly don't mind raid healing. Disc has been made so much better over the last two xpacs that it is just fun to play in general. I like being challenged on bosses, and having to figure out what mechanics go where, instead of just a tank-and-spank LootShip. (One LootShip boss is just fine, mind you!)

Hrm, less fun? I really enjoy disc healing, whether I'm tank healing and keeping shields up and greater healing up the wazzoo, or having fun smite healing pretending like I do some amount of damage (usually miniscule in comparison to everyone else XD).

Well, there's really not much in the way of rotation for any healer, a fact we've all reasonably concluded. It all depends on what boss you are on, what everyone's abilities are, and who stands in fire. However, that being said, disc healing does, in my opinion, have more of a specified almost rotation-esque queue for spells in comparison to other healers. (Only from my experience playing all healers at 85, though priest healing is the only one I've raided with.) I like the mechanic of shied > PoM > Penance > GHeal until you're heart's content, throwing up more shields whenever the debuff falls off. However, I certainly do throw in flash heals and binding heals whenever there is a need. And Prayer of Healing is awesome, and depending on the fight, can be a rotation in and of itself (PoH Group 1, PoH Group 2, PoH Group 3, and so on).

You know, there isn't anything I think is terribly large on my wish list for disc healers. We can get rid of magic and disease, can fear ward, can fade, we have an instant self heal for when we need it, binding heal, shield, all the good stuff we need in every day life. My only issues have been with the gear and its looks, but that's again a personal feel that is different for each player, and is being fixed with 4.3 (hopefully!). Because, let me tell you, there was nothing that made me not want to play her more than looking at all that flaming tier 12 and firelands loot in shades of orange and white clashed HORRIBLY with those flowing watery tier 11 shoulders. At the very least I could (and still am doing so!) hide the offending helm.

Heal. Renew. I know Heal was revamped to be useful, but I still just don't use it. Looking back at logs, I just can't find a place where I say to myself "I should have used a heal there instead". Perhaps it's just more of a Holy Spell since it was revamped? Renew is still useful, I just don't find myself using it. Shield is much more beneficial, instant heal and damage mitigation if the injured player is still taking damage. I also have an issue with Divine Hymn. The raid healing is nice, but it's rather on an obscenely long CD, in my opinion. I find myself not using it on fights for fear of wasting it, which, in the end, wastes it.
85 Human Priest
I'm a Disc Priest.

What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Heroics and Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] Very Little PVP on this Toon

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. I really don't have any.

Shields, shields, and more shields - I love this toon and really like the fact that you now have to choose who to shield and when to shield them as opposed to just spamming.

Having only 1 AOE spell and it's fairly weak.

I have no problems with rotation. Right now I start out hitting both tanks with renew and Shields with a PoM on main tank. After that, it's simply choosing the right spell for the job. I use heal when possible to preserve mana but rely more on Penance, Greater Heal, and Flash Heal.

- Buff PoH so that it heals for more. In addition, provide another AOE spell with less power and a shorter CD than PoH but make it raid wide.

- We need a good fighting spell in Disc in case we get caught in a situation. Mind Flay would be wonderful if we could use it in Disc. There would have been a number of times the boss would have gone down or the raid would have lived if I had something more than dots or the weak Mind Sear. Although I AM happy with the recent buff to Mind Sear - but it's still not adequate for Disc to use in a Raid or Heroic Dungeon, nor do I think it should be.

- I'd also love a decent interrupt.

[Mind Vision][Mana Burn] [Fear Ward][Holy Nova] [Mind Soothe]
I'm certain others find these spells useful but am only speaking for myself. I have never used Mind Vision, Mana Burn, and have only used Mind Soothe a few times. Fear Ward could be useful to me IF it was an AOE spell for my group. As for Holy Nova, the damage is so tiny it's like "what's the point".
Edited by Ereden on 9/12/2011 10:54 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Priest
I play as a Disc / Holy priest.
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] : PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] : Heroics and Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] : N/A

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. :
* Spells such as Divine Hymn and Hymn of Hope are a bit unwieldy to use - I am alright with the channeling component, but the cooldown on them makes it almost not worth using.
* Why is one's Chakra state based on the spell you cast after it? I might be wrong, but I don't think other classes are like that. (Warriors can pick between three stances, Death Knights the same way, etc). I don't know if it would be a quality of life change I'd want, but its something I wonder about.

What makes playing your class more fun? : I really enjoy having two diverse types of healing to play. The absorption mechanic of discipline forces one to anticipate damage. Holy is equally powerful in being able to further switch between two 'stances', nearly on the fly.

What makes playing your class less fun? : The pressure to be in one spec or another to maximise healing in a certain fight. (An example is the absurd usefulness of Power Word: Barrier in Firelands versus, say, Holy Word: Sanctuary).

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) : I generally like it, though as mentioned before, I feel that HW: Sanctuary tends to fall by the wayside in favor of Prayer of Mending / Prayer of Healing (for both specs).

What’s on your wish list for your class? : I'm generally happy with the Priest class (perhaps that's why I've played it so long). Besides changing the cooldowns on Hymn of Hope / Divine Hymn, not much.

What spells do you use the least? : Mind Soothe. I think I only used it once these past two expansions. Oh, and Holy Nova. Not enough output (or damage for that matter), to make it useful.
Edited by Ellyndia on 9/12/2011 10:42 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Priest
Mostly PVE, but also like to do PVP

Raiding, dungeons

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
BGs and a bit of arena

I struggle a bit in dungeons with disc spec due to aoe healing limitations. I prefer holy in dungeons because there is quite a lot of party healing to do in dungeons. I also feel a lot less mobile in disc than I do in holy. Using chakra: sanctuary feels almost a waste because holy word: sanctuary can't be used that much because of the high mana cost. I would love to be able to use that spell more often.

Being able to decide per boss fight whether we need a strong tank healer or a strong raid healer. This flexibility really makes a difference on some fights.

When I play shadow I don't like that our mastery affects only one spell. When I use chakra: sanctuary I can't use holy word: sanctuary as much as I'd like.

Chakra: serenity feels very good to me. Keeping a renew on the tank while healing them is very nice. I love holy word:serenity. In shadow spec I like getting to proc those dark angel wings. But waiting for shadow orbs and sometimes you get very unlucky, that feels punishing. I am glad that we have mind spike for when we can't get the benefit of a full rotation. When I first heard of the idea that we could heal while dps'ing with smite, it sounded amazing. But unless you are good with macros (and I'm not) it can be very clunky and awkward feeling. I tried it and didn't like it but I always feel jealous of those priests that can rock those pretty wings.

I feel like we have a lot of spells already and I don't think I'd like to see more. But definitely some more mobility and aoe healing for disc, a reduced mana cost for holy word: sanctuary would be great. If we could use divine hymn 2 times per encounter I think that would feel pretty good, at least for holy.

Holy word: sanctuary, when in disc I don't use "heal" at all, I think I forget about binding heal even when there's a chance to use it. That spell usually finds it's way to an area my fingers just don't reach and then I don't think about it when I could be using it. I don't get much use out of holy nova.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc Priest here.

I enjoy PvE raids and PvP BGs (RBGs are alright, but can be a pain to get organized and often it is Arena people just wanting one win to max out their CP).

I REALLY enjoy Disc right now (Never played Holy or Shadow, I made this char in TBC as Disc and have been since). We all liked the playstyle of shielding but I understand that it can be difficult to make that involve more than PW:S spam. I think that Smite healing really added a different level to Disc.

In some ways the Priest Class in unique in that way and I enjoy it. Disc = Healing w/ some dps, Holy = Pure heals, Shadow = DPS w/ some healing.
If anything, I ask that you do NOT nerf Smite healing and make it only very situational. I enjoy the fact that on certain fights, it can be a large part of my tank heals. (Going up top on Beth = amazing as Disc, but it being useless on Rag is OK since then I have other heals).

I like the mana changes though it seems to have become less and less of an issue. This only makes sense since spirit keeps going up and unless you implement something to lower its return, eventually we will be able to get enough to sustain less efficient heals. However, I guess that gives a feeling of becoming "more powerful" as we gear up so it works. Now instead of being sure to stack spirit, I can get non-spirit items and just reforge over a less desirable stat.

Quality of Life:
Allow Raid Finder and Dungeon Finder or BG que to be used at the same time. I get that we don't want Dungeon and BG to be used at the same time, but Raids (especially Pugs) can take a long time to build. There is no reason we can't be doing our Daily Heroics/BGs, quests, etc while remaining Que'd for a Raid. I don't want to sit and do nothing while I wait an hour for a reasonable raid setup. Let me BG at the very least.

Have Hymn of Hope always give mana to the casting priest. Lower Divine Hymn's CD and healing by half. Allow Holy to get double (so normal) healing from it. I'd much prefer this so that Disc can still use it more often but not get as much out of it and Holy can get a strong version and actually use it.

Response to others:
I know someone mentioned giving us reason to use Renew and FH. I actually still use FH when a tank drops super low and very often in PvP (if Penance is down). However I rarely use Renew, but that is OK with me. We have good shields, Holy's are meh. Holy has great Renews, ours are meh. I don't think EVERY spell needs to be viable. Sure I use SW:Death SOMETIMES but you'll never see me Mind Spike. You'll also never see an SPriest Smite or Holy Fire. We don't need to overclutter our bars imo. I'll use renew when moving and a shield will get wasted. Other than that, let it remain a Holy spell imo.

I also noticed a Blue mention this, as well as at least one person here, that Holy Nova isn't used often. I will agree almost 100% in PvE. But in PvP, Holy Nova absolutely rocks for flag defense and an uninterruptible instant when shield and PoM are down and renew is already on. I'd rather spam a couple Holy Novas than do nothing. I'd also rather not have my spells be locked out if you know it will be coming. I'm just saying that Holy Nova has its uses in PvP and I don't think it should be scrapped like Sentry Totem.

Finally, I don't think Healers should have "rotations". That is one reason I prefer my healer over my Lock. I like to dps but healing is not 1 2 1 2 2 3, etc. I enjoy that.

Just a side note: I also play a Resto Sham (never Resto Druid or Holy Pal) and I MUCH prefer my Disc Priest. I have a lot more fun. So if anything, try to make Resto Sham more like Disc. Just please don't do anything to ruin Disc's fun and uniqueness. If at some point a nerf is needed, fine. But please don't change us back to a PW:S spamming only spec again.

- Moglian
90 Human Priest
What type of content do you focus on? If PvE, what type of PvE? If PvP, what type of PvP?

Both

PvE: All
PvP: All, when not doing PvE

09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

- None I can think of at the moment

- Everything!

- RNG on Shadow Orbs at times.

- Fantastic

- Shadowform effect really needs a minor glyph or complete redesign. It was cute when it was implemented 5 years ago, but at this point the only identifiable pieces of gear in Shadowform are shoulders and 2H weapon (if you're using one). Mounts are also not identifiable, either, unless they're a unique model. With the transmogrification system coming in the future, shadowpriests (and moonkins/ferals) see little to no benefit from the system.

I use pretty much everything, the least used spell overall would be Mind Soothe, but it has very applicable (although limited) PvE and PvP uses.
100 Tauren Priest
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Both, more pve oriented though

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raiding, and anything else that involves making my toon more raid ready.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Arena

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The fact that due to server lag (i believe) the debuff of weakened sould lasts longer than a shield does by about a second even though they are supposed to be the exact same tiem in duration. Upping a shield duration to 17 seconds would fix that issue.

Also the shadowfeind can get buggy like no other on some fights (nefarion being the most recent example)

■What makes playing your class more fun?

I love to heal and having 2 specs to do it with on the same toon.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

How much quicker i run out of mana in arena than any other healer.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Healing doesnt have much of a rotation so i enjoy being able to choose wat i deem the best spell for the current situation and having the tools to have that freedom.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

Mana conservation techniques that
1. dont have a good chance of bugging out (cannot tell you how many times my shadowfeind decides to not attack the target/sit next to me doing a little jig/get stuck in a wall and give no mana back. and or isnt so easily controlled in a pvp situation, most healers dont have time to sit and babysit their shadowfeind.
2. hymn of hope being interruptable/being channelled at all. It's a long channel and a long time to not be healing/dpsing in any sitaution, i'd like a change in that.

■What spells do you use the least?

Holy nova, renew, mind soothe. Also heal gets its own sentence because i never used it in wrath and i havent used it since my first ever heroic in cata. there just seems to be no point to it at all.
Edited by Rapsidy on 9/12/2011 11:18 AM PDT
100 Draenei Priest
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE - Discipline Priest.

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The downtime for switching specs is annoying. Going from Disc to Shadow is okay because I can just pop Dispersion for mana, but going from Shadow to Disc forces me either to waste my Shadowfiend or my HoH, else I have to use food (as a miser, using anything takes a lot of willpower).

# What makes playing your class more fun?

The uniqueness of the spec is something I like. I enjoy being the only class with the ability to mitigate damage rather than wait for it to hit and then heal through it. In the same way that Druids pre-stack HoTs to handle incoming damage, we Disc Priests do the same with shields and absorbs.
A few specific fun things would be the feeling of saving someone from death by throwing a PW:S on them when they're at low health. When healing gets intense, most healers will prioritize maximum HPS (and rightly so). This can, however, lead to certain people not necessarily catching enough heals, especially if they're standing somewhere they shouldn't be; using PW:S and PoM as two instant-cast life-savers is very enjoyable.
I also enjoy the feeling of 'power' I get when I use those high HPS spells, like Penance and PoH. It's fun to see the tank taking huge damage, and knowing that I can use a Penance and a Greater Heal combined with Inner Focus, and have him healed a large amount, with probably a decent DA to help mitigate some more incoming damage.
Leap of Faith (AKA Life Grip) is a very fun spell. Whether it's just yanking the tank along through Heroic dungeons; whether it's pulling a baddie dps out of the fire; or whether it's used as part of a specific strategy, using this spell always seems fun and I think it was a great addition.

As a Disc Priest, I like the large amount of strong CDs I have, as well as having very few mana issues. I enjoy having the ability to mitigate a lot of damage by using PW:B whenever the raid is grouped up, whilst also having the ability to protect a tank from huge damage (or even save a dps/healer who's swarmed by adds) through the use of Pain Suppression. I do feel that the Holy Guardian Spirit CD is stronger than PS, especially as a tank-healing CD, which seems strange considering Disc is more oriented towards tank-healing, and Holy is stronger for raid-healing. I also like having Divine Hymn for those times when the damage is just a massive raid-wide AoE, or when something has gone wrong and we're struggling to catch up on healing - DH will usually do the trick.
As I mentioned, I really like way I seem never to run out of mana. Compared to my Holy Priest colleges, who're always struggling not to OoM, I find myself being able to maintain a lot of mana, whilst still putting out the same amount of HPS as they do. I like the way Rapture makes PW:S a way to regenerate mana as long as it's used efficiently, and the fact that it's percentage-based regen, along with the fact that, as Disc, one of our specialties is getting 15% more intellect, makes gearing very fun, since it causes intellect to be such a largely desired stat, that any increase in ilvl is almost always an upgrade, especially since there's not much of a disparity between the values of crit, haste, and mastery (which is also something I enjoy - not feeling like I have to avoid a particular secondary stat like the plague).
100 Human Priest
My answers only address Shadow.
PvP

Primarily arenas

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
1. Not being able to use utility spells such as leap of faith/cure disease without leaving shadowform
2. Vampiric Touch's current effects not being scary enough to avoid try and avoid dispelling, having to rely on another classes dispel protection (i.e. Unstable Affliction) or just mere dispel fodder (i.e. frost mage debuffs).
3. Not being able to quickly generate a shadow orb reliably can really destroy your damage.
4. Having to rely on partners who can peel off us efficiently (primarily melee), since our only real tool is psychic scream - which most classes have an answer to and is rather used offensively most of the time.

The plethora of defensive utility such as leap of faith, power word: shield, self-dispels/mass dispel. The ability to sustain damage with dots, and provide predictably burst with mindspike+mb+sw:d.

Having to manage mana so tightly, even if you aren't healing, just having your dots dispelled will see you struggling for mana. Not being able to peel off yourself or others reliably.

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
I'm very happy with the current tools and rotation we have. My only grief is not having the ability to ever guarantee the generation of a shadow orb.

1. Leap of Faith & Cure Disease usable in shadow form
2. A reliable root (i.e. better Paralysis). For example something like:
2.a."When you mind blast a target with SW:P & DP & VT active you will root the target for 4 seconds"
2.b."When you consume Shadow Orbs you will root the target for 4 seconds"
2.c."Empowers your Power Word: Shield with shadow energy. When the shield is destroyed(or maybe applied) all enemies within 10 yards are slowed by 50% for 5 seconds"
3. Make Inner Focus a base spell again (call it Power Word: something), but let different specs use it differently, similar to the way Strength of Soul changes the way its used.

Mind Soothe, Mind Vision, Cure Disease (and I guess Heal & Prayer of Healing, but thats just because they dont play much of a role for shadow pvp)
100 Draenei Priest
# What makes playing your class less fun?

Fights where my absorption abilities are less useful than having more raw heals. There are certain times, specifically with large bursts of random, unpredictable damage, where the Disc Priest feels underwhelming. Our strongest ability, PW:S, is too expensive just to throw out on everyone in hopes of catching that random person, and when we do heal the damage, and DA procs will probably be wasted unless the same person is targeted again, and as such, it feels like a huge waste of 'heals', and makes mastery and, to an extent, crit, feel like worse stats.
Also, as others mentioned, having spells that are, in essence, 'the same, but worse' as other classes, is always frustrating ( Divine Hymn having a much longer CD than Tranq etc).

Being the only healer without some kind of 'uber ability' makes it less fun. Knowing that a Shaman can self-resurrect, a Druid can resurrect another raider, a Holy Priest will get the Spirit Form, and a Paladin can hide in the 'zomg invincibubble', can leave me wondering what I can do. Sure, I can use PW:B, but that's not really the same thing, since it doesn't really handle those situations where there's guaranteed to be a death - everyone else seems to be able to do something when death is imminent.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I'm very happy with the general 'rotation' of Disc Priests. I choose not to use the Smite build since I rarely have mana issues, so I get the 'fun' of dropping consistently large heals with plenty of DA procs. I feel very strong when it comes to tank-healing. With a PW:S, Penance, and Greater Heal rotation, I find that a tank will almost never die under my protection unless something goes wrong. The way that Inner Focus synergizes with Greater Heal being my 'filler' for tank-healing, and how it increases the chance for a DA proc (which will rarely be wasted on a tank) is great, and the whole rotation basically runs mana free, since Penance is super-cheap, PW:S pays for itself, Inner Focus gives me free Greater Heals every 30 seconds or so, and my natural regen from Spirit takes care of the rest. Being able to bounce PoM off the tank is good too, since it makes good use of the new glyph and guarantees at least one charge will be used, and it gives me something else to cast on the move (since renew is so bad for Disc).

When it comes to AoE healing, there isn't much choice on what to use, but it still feels fun, since there are options. PoM on CD is always a good idea when AoE is occurring, and then we have the option of simply spamming PoH across the groups for some blanket heals+absorbs, or we can make use of PW:S, by either throwing them out one after the other (expensive and not recommended most times, but can save wipes and can be afforded some times), or, my favourite technique, we can mix PW:S with PoH, such that we can Shield the lowest health raiders, then use the Borrowed Time proc for a faster PoH. It's not as much total throughput, but it allows us to get Shields on those who need it the most, whilst still providing general healing across the raid, and not being overly expensive on mana.

For spot-healing, Disc does seem a bit lacking. When a non-tank raider takes damage and needs a single-target heal, my options all seem a bit wasted. Either I can PW:S the target, but that'll only be effective if the target takes more incoming damage, and still requires someone else actually to heal the damage taken; or I can use Greater Heal, which is very slow (often leading to another healer getting their first, using their mana and wasting my cast-time) and not that strong of a heal compared to other class's spells, since my 'extra' comes in the form of the chance to proc a shield, which, again, is only useful if there's more incoming damage to be absorbed. My other options are Penance, which is a great spell for any situation, but it has a CD, Renew, which is very weak and not really worth casting as Disc, or Flash Heal, which is a strong spell, but too expensive to use as my filler for spot-healing.

100 Draenei Priest
# What’s on your wish list for your class?

I would really like to see the CD on PW:B returned to 2 minutes. When it was only 2 minutes, it really felt like a strong spell that I can use a few times through the fight and gives me the sense that I really am useful, since I can help mitigate a lot of the heavier damage portions of the fight. At 3 minutes, I feel like I don't really get to choose when I use it, since there's always a 'right time' for it at some point, and I pretty much have to save it for that time. At 2 minutes, I can use it any time things feel rough, or even when the tank needs extra support and I've used my PS or whatever - I really enjoyed the feeling that I can throw out the Barrier whenever it seems needed, instead of having to save it for that one pre-determined time, which just takes the choice element away.
If needed, it could come in the form of a glyph (a major glyph would be good, since there aren't too many choices for Disc, and the prime glyphs are already over-taxed), or you could reduce the amount of absorbs by 5%, down to 20%, but then reduce the CD down to 2 minutes - that way the spell isn't too powerful, but it can be used more often. I'd much rather the spell be a bit less effective when it's active, if it means I can activate it a bit more often.

My other wish would be a 'spammable' shield. I don't mean making PW:S cheaper, but rather, make another, weaker shield, that is cheap enough to use generously. Where other classes make use of their regular 'Heal' spell, it just isn't viable for Disc - it's too weak, and isn't any more efficient than Greater Heal when combined with Inner Focus and Train of Thought. I'd like to see a new spell, let's just call it 'Lesser Shield'. This shield would last 30 seconds (like the old PW:S), cost 2-3k mana, and only absorb about 1/3 the value of a PW:S. Then, either make it instant cast but give it its own version of Weakened Soul, (let's call it 'Diminished Soul' so that it doesn't clash with PW:S) so that it can't just be used over and over on the same target, or, give it a cast time, maybe the same speed as Greater Heal, but no 'Diminished Soul', debuff. This means that either each raider can only be 'Lesser Shielded' once every 15 seconds, or the shield itself will have to be manually cast, making it inefficient to spam on the same person over and over (since, if they need a constant supply of heals, Greater Heal would be a better choice, since it would have the same cast time but would be 3 times more powerful, with the chance to proc DA).
The basic premise of the spell would be as something to use when everyone is at full health or when there's large incoming damage but spamming PW:S would be too expensive - the Disc Priest can throw out small shields for very little mana. The Lesser Shield would never be very high HPS, but it's HPM would be roughly equal to the 'Heal' spell.

# What spells do you use the least?

As far as relevant spells go, Renew, Heal, and Flash Heal are all rarely used. Renew just isn't worth casting over other spells, Heal is far too weak, and Flash Heal is expensive and not usually needed (and when it is, PW:S is usually a better choice). Flash Heal does have some use, but really only when the target has the Weakened Soul debuff and is still taking massive damage - other than that, I'd rather use PW:S as an emergency spell.
85 Draenei Priest
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] 25 Heroic Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] n/a

Shadow Orb rng is awful. A cooldown to either give us an orb right away or greatly increase the proc chance would help tremendously.

Leap of Faith, Dispersion, Mind Control, Inner Will/Fire

Shadow Orb RNG, Wasting gcd's on Inner Will/Fire

Having to switch things up due to lack of Shadow Orb procs can be frustrating other than that it's fine.

Shadow Orb proc cd, Gift of Naaru in Shadowform, Unicorn mount :)

Mind Soothe, Mind Vision ... but I still like them for what they are!
32 Draenei Priest
I have just started playing a priest for the first time. Quite frankly the class just didn't have enough bang for my taste. Well, I reached the magic level 10 and specced for shadow. Then I stopped playing her. About a month later I came back to her, and put some time into leveling her and seeing what she could do. I'm glad I did. She now is one of my more enjoyable toons.

Now keeping in mind that I am a huge NOOB when comes to playing her, and can't really comment in depth about what I like and dislike.

The one thing that does irk me are the shadow orbs. The concept is very good, but the delivery fails horribly. Something needs to be done about their randomness. Most times they simply do not proc for me until the battle is near over. Then they proc in quick succession. Perhaps you could tweak this a little better? Maybe, perhaps givng it a higher chance to proc? Or basing it on level of the toon, or something? This does need to be fixed.

This is a tangent, and it would be a bit of work for the powers in charge of blizzard design. But how about introducing a specilzed mount for the priest ( and possbly other classes)? I know that your mount becomes a shadow mount when one is in shadow form. This is very cool. But how about something similar to the warlocks mount? Perhaps some form of winged skeletetal/shadow mount. (Just an idea). Maybe giving such a mount, or the priest themselves the ability to pass through walls?? for a short period of time?
90 Blood Elf Priest
What type of content do you focus on? Mostly PvE but i do PvP when i wanna take a break from PvE.
If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroics, Raids, Soloing Old Content when able as a priest.
If PvP, what type of PvP? BG's or 2's with a guildy.
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.- I don't see much in terms of issue with quality of life really. It'd be cool if priests MC, acted more like a temporary pet tame type ability than full control that way healers can have a somewhat decent CC as well as a bit of a damage booster for a group.
What makes playing your class more fun? I like the unique feel that being a holy priest gives me, it feels like holy priests are rare and for me to be able to successfuly play one gives me that feeling of accomplishment.
What makes playing your class less fun?- Our big "uh oh" spell used to be divine hymn but now when i use it, it doesnt have that feel of dishing out the big heals to save from a wipe.
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) As a holy priest i like how things work in my healing "rotation" i guess it can be called. Being able to swap between chakra specs for different situations makes me feel like i have more versatility in a fight and i can actually fill both healing roles in raids (raid or tank heals.)
What’s on your wish list for your class?- My wish for priests? I'd have to say something intermingling both shadow and holy power into one. Like an ability to throw on a boss and it drains the bosses health and feeds double the damage as healing to the nearest ally who needs it. so like if it ticks for 4k every 3 seconds, then if the tank is in need of the healing, theyre getting an extra 8k heal tick on them every 3 seconds till it wears off.
What spells do you use the least? I almost never use mind soothe though it is useful in some rare instances, oh and shackle undead has become useless this expansion since it;s all elementals, i realize there is undead in HoO but those mobs are easily killed so the cc isnt necessary.

Thanks for hearing us out Blizz. Makes me feel like my opinion actually matters. I could probably come up with more priest ideas but i have to head to work so perhaps another time :)
100 Blood Elf Priest
PvE
10m Heroic Raids 6/7
I haven't enjoyed PvPing on my Priest since Burning Crusade.
None especially, although I do miss the race specific Priest abilities. Hex of Weakness and Shadowguard were fun!
I've played as Holy since early vanilla and have never been especially fond of Disc for healing. I enjoyed the process of FSR management and down ranking in vanilla and BC. In Wrath I felt healing was really boring and overly easy, I'm amazed I didn't end up quitting during that expansion. Holy healing in Cata was a breath of fresh air. I really enjoy the Chakra "stances" and the way it affects our spells. I also love the fact that I have to have all my abilities bound because they're all usable.
Being pigeonholed into raiding as Disc for heroic progression because Holy has 0 raid cooldowns. Holy Word: Sanctuary could use some work. Long cooldown, costs a ton of mana and heals for like 1/3 of what healing rain does.
The shadow rotation is really fun, but as others have said in the thread the randomness of not getting a Shadow Orb for a full 30 seconds at the beginning of a fight can be extremely frustrating.
Raid cooldown to make Holy a viable raiding spec again. Changes to Divine Hymn and/or Holy Word: Sanctuary would be prime candidates for this.
I don't think I've hit Mana Burn at all this expansion, although it obviously sees significantly more use in PvP. Other than that Mind Soothe obviously, but I do a fair amount of old content running so it sees use there, but that's about it.
Edited by Atena on 9/12/2011 11:01 AM PDT
90 Gnome Priest

PVE

25m Raids / heroic raids

I feel like I have to use inner fire, for healing throughput, but when it comes to fights like majordomo and his cat leaps sometimes I feel that I'm just too slow when we get some bad rng leaps.

I love playing a disc priest! Atonement healing, is amazing! I love it! I love having to manage my healing cooldowns and I love that I can fulfill many healing assignments!

I don't really know how to answer this one? I really love being a disc priest, but I don't like being holy or shadow. But thats my own beef, and we're not making hamburgers.

As a discipline healer, I feel like you can pretty much do whatever. Nobody really has a straight answer of "this is what you need to be doing" which is frustrating because everyone is trying out TONS of specs, tons of different stat weights and even though everyone you talk to can tell you to do SOMETHING, nobody really knows whats best because you can either boost your heals, or your shields and figuring out which you need to be focusing on can be difficult because have good shields is fantastic, but if your healing output is low then you're not helping yourself any.

I would like to be able to move faster, without having to spec into inner sanctum. Also I'd like a way to do really good raid healing without the absorbs mechanic. for example: prayer of healing w/ divine aegis for rapid on-going damage. and a raid aoe heal that does't use divine aegis for when people needs heals but outgoing damage is low or non-existent.

Holy Nova really is useless right now, I also believe it should take away the damage aspect and give only a healing output with possibly a mana cost buff, or a healing buff. to make it useful when stacked up.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]