Class Feedback – Shaman

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Shaman
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

I am focused more on PvE (raiding) but I also enjoy doing occasional BGs both rated and unrated. I do minimal arena matches.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raiding whatever is the newest content. (currently heroic firelands)

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Rated BGs are pretty fun as an elemental shaman as I get frequent opportunities to launch players off of cliffs.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The recent addition of a glyph to allow casting lightning bolt while moving was an amazing addition to my spec for both PvE and PvP.

The 2 set bonus for the current tier allowing almost 100% up time on Fire Elemental totem has served only to highlight how terrible the AI is on the Fire Elemental. Making the Fire Elemental a pet like other classes' summon ally abilities would be a huge improvement.

What makes playing your class more fun?

The burst damage of elemental in PvP is fun, along with the ability to launch groups of players off of tall things. The short CD on my interrupt also makes it fun to manage to get off interrupts while still doing damage.

In PvE the ability to off heal is a nice addition to playing DPS. (Dropping healing rain or self healing to mitigate my own screw ups)

What makes playing your class less fun?

EDIT: I'm dumb and didn't realize not being able to self res is a bug and not a product of battle resurrections.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I like the addition of random procs for lava burst as well as the way fulmination can complicate reapplying my flame shock. I dislike the almost complete uselessness of unleashed weapon. This ability confuses many new players who think it is supposed to be part of the standard DPS rotation.

What’s on your wish list for your class?

Giving fire elemental a pet bar and/or making it a permanent pet.

Replacing earthquake or buffing it to make it worth casting in more circumstances.

Making glyph of stoneclaw totem scale with spell power. It becomes less and less useful over time.

What spells do you use the least?

Unleashed elements, earthquake
Edited by Propane on 9/13/2011 4:02 PM PDT
100 Draenei Shaman
1. Mostly PvE
2/ Raids, but Heroics just for VP
3. The occasional Tol Barad
4. Quality of life..Lots of people complain about dropping totems, but I think it's fine, but I do miss the old Tremor Totem
5. I don't have mana issues in Elemental, that's really nice.

7. Rotation: I like it! Lava Surge and Fulmination are just right to make it not a rotation, but in a good way...using Unleash Elements and/or Shocks during very short periods of movement works very well for me.

8. I don't think this will ever happen, but...I want to use swords
9. Primal Strike (duh!)...I don't use Frost Shock much...If things need to be slowed down, the hunters usually can handle it...and I need my Shock CDs for Flame Shock and Earth Shock
92 Draenei Shaman
-What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

I prefer to do PvE, although I do PvP on rare occasions.

-If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics! All the time! Trying to get into the raiding game as well

-If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Battlegrounds when I feel like it, nothing really special.

-What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Hmm, well, I think the biggest issue I have with my class would be my totems, the way we use them just feels a bit antiquated, don't get me wrong, I love my totems! But I think that they need to be worked on a little bit. Even simply improving the buff-range on some of them would make me feel better about them.
I would also love it if there was some way to make them more mobile! Rather than just plopping them down every couple pulls.

-What makes playing your class more fun?

I know I just said that my totems are an "Issue", but it's also one of the things I love the most about my shaman!

-What makes playing your class less fun?

That would have to be my totems again... They are fun, but having to set them down each and every time I fight an enemy gets a bit annoying.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

As a healer, I am satisfied with my current rotation as of now, it is not too difficult, but not too easy either, it is a good challenge and I like that.

-What’s on your wish list for your class?

I would like to see an overall revamp of the class! I would love to see my totems updated mechanically (Searing totem has quite a few bugs still), you guys did a wonderful job on the new healing effects for shaman by the way! I love it!

Rockbiter Weapon... It's only use is when I'm taking a low-level friend through an old instance, it's a bit disappointing too because it actually has a pretty good graphic to it when it's used! But I honestly don't see much use for it at all.
Other than that (With the exception of maybe Far Sight, but that is just a gimmicky move anyways, and just for fun!), I use literally every other ability I have often!
92 Dwarf Shaman

PvE

Primarly 5-man heroics, with some PuG raiding. These comments will be about Enhancement

N/A

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

As mentioned above, totems are a bit of a pain to replace and reposition. A possible fix would be to extend the range on the "buff totems" so that we could avoid having to reposition them when a fight requires movement.

The AI on elemental totems is also a bit wonky.

I really enjoy the rotation of enhancement (minus Spirit Wolves, which I will complain about below...)

Spirit Wolves. I understand its value in PvP as a utility cooldown. That said, for a DPS cooldown in PvE, it is borderline useless - the total damage adds up to be approximately the same throughout its entire duration as a single lava lash. It's somewhat disheartening to get this 31 point talent (which should be a class-defining talent) and have it be pretty much unnecessary.

My only complaint about our rotation has to do with burst phases. Our rotation is the same for the entirety of a single target fight. The only difference we have in a burst phase is to pop heroism/bloodlust, and then it's back to business as usual. It would be nice to have some kind of alternative for burst phases.

A real DPS cooldown. It could be a replacement for Spirit Wolves (though that may cause complaints from the PvPers), or something else...

Any healing spell not name Greater Healing Wave or Healing Rain (which I only use with 5 stack maelstrom), and Lava Burst (which I realize is an Elemental spell).

This seems awesome. Thanks!
85 Goblin Shaman
Both

Raids

All 3

The static nature of buffing totems. Buff totems give the same buffs to other classes but just with the nature of totems, gives them in an inferior way.

Having to constantly recast water shield during an encounter is quite an annoyance.

The way the healing style flows together.

Fire totem AI either attacking the wrong target, not attacking anything, or chasing something around the room. For higher end raiding the absolute need for TC and having to stop healing to regen mana.

The riptide hw/hw and riptide ghw/ghw flows quite well together for single target. HR/CH works somewhat well if and only if people are stacked in a group. If that doesn't occur there is no synergy. During any AoE packs the flameshock --> Firenova is just awful. Has far to long of a ramp up time, doesn't work with aoe packs with little health and achieves the same results as people that have to far less.

Gameplay mechanics: Having something to heal people who are spread out taking AoE damage. A way to regen mana other then stopping and casting LB with TC and resurgence. A way to stop having to constantly redrop buff totems. Being able to control where SLT is dropped.

Cosmetic: Having all heals cast with blue glowy hands. Having heals land with a splash effect. Having chain heals beams have a water theme.

Earthquake
Edited by Dafish on 9/12/2011 1:19 PM PDT
100 Draenei Shaman

Mostly PvP

Heroics

Arenas/BGs -

The biggest quality of life issue is that when I play Elemental I die. A lot. You have a great game out but I am really tired of the spirit rezzer dude. He has been calling me by name lately which is kinda of creepy. Thunderstorm is FUN. But as a survival tool it is...useless. 35 seconds glyphed is like (hyperbole here) 35 seconds too long. Elemental (not sure of enhancement because I don't pvp there) needs someway to do ANYTHING when melee gets on them. Stun, kick, bash, charge...you get the point. Even with close to 4k res it is over fast.

What makes playing your class more fun? THUNDERSTORM RULES ALL IN BGS (when you are by a HUGE drop off and they come at you one at a time every 35 seconds.

What makes playing your class less fun? No way to break combat. I play a mage with shadowmeld and invis and a hunter with FD and shadowmeld. As I solo a lot, a way to drop combat would allow me to do more 'old instances' on this character.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Fine, Fun.

What’s on your wish list for your class? Survival tools: PVP (Elemental), a combat breaking Invis or stealth form (more like the hunter's camo, then the mage's...this is for pve...though I know it would affect pvp as well. Not like a rogue's.)

Far Site. too clunky...DONT take it away though.
85 Dwarf Shaman
Elemental PVE/Elemental PVP

Both

Raids

Arenas, Rated BGs when I can

Some of the reagents for our spells such as water walking are a pain to carry and farm. I love the permanent fire elemental, but I wish I had the toolbar to control him better because he isn't very smart and likes to do things like not attack or attack the wrong target. Simple buff totems such as stoneskin or wrath of air are very annoying to replace considering non buff classes can just have auras. Without the uniqueness of the buffs we bring anymore we shouldn't be subjected to the old disadvantages of totems.
tl;dr increase totem duration and range without making us waste valuable talent points on them.

Our mastery is wonderfully designed. There is also nothing quite like timing a nine stack fulminate to hit at the same time as the lava burst i just fired off at that dirty horde fellow. The changes to 4pc pvp elemental last patch were a godsend and make even getting tunneled not as frustrating.

Giving everyone our buffs. I picked a shaman so I could buff my friends. maybe introduce a mastery buff totem for shaman? No mastery buffs out there and It would make us have some of our unique flavor again. I'd also like to see some sort of defensive cooldown for elemental. maybe tie it into our grounding totem to absorb multiple spells? Not sure that would be the best for balance, would just like to be able to press a button to save myself.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) I enjoy what you did with the elemental rotation with the random lava burst procs, especially with the firelands 4pc set. My only complaint is the cooldown on shock spells. It is very difficult to juggle both earth shock and flame shock, and using frost shock is absolutely out of the question, even in pvp.

A defensive cooldown, a mastery buff totem, Fire elemental/searing totem AI, separate shock cooldowns, longer toem duration/range, a new 31 point talent.
frost shock
water breathing
I don't even spec into earthquake anymore. It was a good idea, but implemented poorly. Too low damage, too high mana, not good enough knockdown chance to be useful. maybe take away the damage, use it like solar beam but frequent knockdown in the area?

Thanks for making this thread!
85 Goblin Shaman
TG
Note that unfortunately I have very little experience as Enhancement, and therefore the scope of my answers is limited to Elemental and Restoration, my main spec being the latter.

--

What type of content do you focus on?

PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE?

Heroic Raids

If PvP, what type of PvP?

N/A

As elemental, the inability to give direct commands to my Fire Elemental regarding which enemy I want it to attack. Since most elemental Shaman have acquired 2piece Tier 12, as it stands now the Fire Elemental is more like a constant pet (much like a Frost mage's) and less of a Doomguard type thing. Because of this (and the fact that it accounts for a very large portion of most Elemental Shamans' total damage on a given fight, the clunky way it moves and chooses targets puts restrictions on how useful it can be. The addition of a simple pet bar with attack, follow, etc. would be an easy fix for this.

Versatility (in Restoration). You guys have done a great job graduating from the "role specific" type healing in Wrath of the Lich King (e.g. Paladins were always assumed to be tank healers, Druids were raid healers, etc.) and that shows the most with Restoration Shamans. While we've always been sort of the "jack of all trades, master of none", and still are to some degree, the ability for us to tank heal now is stronger than ever, helped greatly by our Mastery and the buffs you gave to Greater Healing Wave earlier in the expansion.

In general (for all three specs) the clunkyness (if that's even a word) of the way totems work is still frustrating. The totem system lacks much-needed mobility and consistency that would immensely help keep important buffs such as the Glyphed Healing Stream Totem resistance aura and Strength of Earth have 100% uptime, as they do in any other form.

In the scope of purely Restoration, the issue is with our main AoE Healing spells (Healing Rain and Chain Heal) requiring close proximity of raiders to justify their use. Chain Heal was viable on a single target in WotLK, but that isn't the case now, and while you've done a good job giving us certain fights in which those spells can shine (Beth'tilac, Cho'gall and Nefarian, to name a few), those fights are unfortunately the minority. In common situations like Phase 1 of Lord Rhyolith or much of the fight in Heroic Ragnaros, the usefulness of those two spells drops substantially, and we are left to either use them anyway knowing that they aren't very effective, or switch to single target healing with HS, GHW and Riptide only. Overall this is a problem which, if solved, would drastically improve the ability for Restoration Shamans to AoE heal either regardless of the proximity of other raiders, or with a very less stringent requirement in this department.

For Elemental I feel our rotation is quite good right now. You gave us drastically better mobility with the Glyph of Unleashed Lightning and the Tier 12 4 piece bonus as of late, and I love the way Fulmination works. The only frustration I ever experience with the Elemental Rotation is getting to high stacks, preparing to cast Earth Shock and realizing that I have less than 5 seconds left on Flame Shock, thereby making me recast that and wait until shocks are off of cooldown again. However, this is quite a minor issue.

• Less severe restrictions on the usefulness of our AoE Healing spells in correlation to the proximity of the raiders.

• Easier control of Fire Elementals (switching targets, stopping attack without recalling it completely, etc.

• More mobility implemented into the totem system.

• A way to more actively spread Earthliving OR a more passive way of spreading Riptide.

• Better AoE Damage for Elemental

• Dire Wolf form!

I will assume this question means spells that are SOMEWHAT involved in our regular rotation/toolbox for raiding, so I'll disregard spells like Far Sight or Rockbiter.

As Restoration:

• Healing Wave

• Unleash Elements

• Totem of Tranquil Mind

• Cleanse Spirit

As Elemental:

• Unleash Elements

• Earthquake

• Totem of Tranquil Mind

• Cleanse Spirit

--
Edited by Yibsu on 9/12/2011 9:56 AM PDT
85 Dwarf Shaman
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvP

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Nil

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
All of the above

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Searing totem stacks to do some real damage. In pvp these are negated so easily and have a fixed range until they have to be re-dropped. Also, windfury procs doing 0 damage against absorb shields (0x 4k ap x3) is still 0. And maelstrom weapon not proccing off of absorb shields.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

The entire spec is fun to play.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

Having those quality of life issues, no burst potenial, not being brought to serious arena because everyone views Enhance pvp as gimped.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Great, but pvp has no real rotation

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

The quality of life issues mentioned above fixed. Also that Frost mages cant crit me for 19k with 3.7k resil and shamanistic rage up. Wolves scaling to be better (they're doing the same damage as they did back in WotLK), Stone Claw totem having some sort of scaling mechanic and having Flametongue Weapon hits applying Searing Flames. A constant Ghost Wolf companion, whos abilities turn into our stun and movement CD's, alongside that a DK esque stacking to turn him into a massive Dire Wolf or something along those lines.

■What spells do you use the least?

I use them all. I have to im enhance.
Edited by Lôkî on 9/13/2011 5:57 AM PDT
85 Worgen Druid
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]: PVE
If PvE, what type of PvE? 10 Man Raiding (firelands normal)

Shaman has always been my favorite class, but as a guild officer, I will always pick whatever class we need the most, and this expansion I switched to my Druid for healing and balance, as overall they were tuned much better in both regards compared to Shaman.

But here is my constructive feedback on why I chose the Druid over the Shaman.

Restoration: The primary reason that Druid Healing is levels above Shaman is movement, which this expansion requires throughout most encounters. In encounters where stacking is permitted, shaman perform well, but this is extremely limited. The reason I feel this is is because Chain Heal and Healing Rain both have the same limitations, in some ways, they are the same spell. You must be grouped up, and you must be standing still to cast it. Single target healing for shaman is magnificent, but rarely preferred over a paladin, even with 10% less physical damage reduction. Fundamentally, I believe ChainHeal and Healing Rain is what is holding back the shaman class. Druids have a "group up heal" and wild growth works as both as a "group up" and also spread out healing, especially if always stratifically position yourself to be in the middle of the raid and you can mindlessly cast WG on yourself on cooldown. Both WG and Eff have no cast time.

My Suggestion? As much as it pains me to say it, Chain Heal should be dumbed down to work similar to CoH and Wildgrowth, while still maintaining the graphical 'charm'. The lines that Chain Heal would create would not heal based on degrading hits based on the order, but based on who needed it. That why you never have lines running 30yards back and forth, but still maintain the degrading aspect of the spell. I think it should have a 4 second cooldown and be instant, and numbers would be compensated to even it out appropriately. I know this is not something that the developers want to do, and is someways it's ironic that CH was the first smart heal, and now it's the worst smart heal due to the fact developers have admitted to making them way too smart now. That doesn't help shaman out unfortunately.

One more point. Mastery. The idea is great, the execution, I believe, is not where it needs to be. The hardest part of this mastery to be balanced, is that it performs where it needs to when learning encounters, as damage is higher (thus health is lower), but is not nearly as effective on learned encounters. While this isn't inheritally awful, as you will kill the boss anyway. It shines a negative light on shaman that they cannot earn a #1 spot victory on the healing meter, except in 1 fight in BWD - and it's not that matters as much, but it takes away the will to at least try, when it's fairly impossible unless you are simply carrying the other healers. Just off the top of my head, my only suggestion is to make Ancestral Awakening the mastery, and not make it based on crit but instead on all direct heals. Mastery would effect the % of the heal that would be sent. It would basically become a +healing mastery, much like druids. But it would be 'fun' Ancestral Awakening is a fascinating/underused talent, and it's also reminiscent of T1 Earthfury's 8 piece set bonus which was fairly cool :)

Elemental: I won't go into as much detail with this one, Elemental shaman have received a few boosts and I have admittedly not had a chance to see how they compete with moonkin. But the same primary concern, mobility has been relieved of this spec with the new Lightning glyph. Honestly - and this seems fairly trivial - but I would like to request you bring the earthquake graphic back, it's really stunning, even if it just shows for the caster (wasn't there an option to reduce other's spell graphic intensity?). And the graphic it was replaced with.. well, it would of been fine if it was Patch 1.2. It pains me to see Blizzard taking so many artistic sacrifices when the art style is the only thing that compensates for such an old engine.

Enhancement: Personally. I absolutely adore Enhancement. I think it's one of the most fascinating specs in Wow with the class of melee and elemental combat - and moderate healing. My only wish, with very little mathematical basis, is to bring back a balance where Lava Burst could be placed back in. The idea of it was wonderful, and the interaction it provided with Elemental Devastation was very clever, and using both nature, fire, and physical was such a fascinating vision, and I just feel a shame it was removed in the name of balance, instead of just balanced properly.

I hope my personal feedback was helpful. Thanks!
Edited by Stovey on 9/12/2011 10:04 AM PDT
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

PvE

Heroics/Raids

Every other class has my totem buffs. There is rarely a situation where our totems are not overwritten by other class buffs. Yet there are certain buffs only provided by certain class spec combos that we do not have access to. I.E. Crit buff from certain hunter pets/ele shamans. Paladin concentration aura. Not to mention my elementals do not perform well, often times doing nothing instead of attacking raid bosses. Also the way resto shamans most usefull raid spells are so situational.

Totems, they are a unique element to the game, but could seriously use some love.

A little more flavor for our totems. Maybe add some more elementals to the game.

Healing surge and SLT, while SLT is an amazing ability, like most of our decent spells it has situation use based of positioning.
100 Troll Shaman
PvE Resto Shaman

10/25 Raiding

N/Z

The main issue I have is refreshing water shield. In heavy damage periods it feels like it gets consumed very quickly and it is a GCD that I sometimes can't afford in those periods of constant damage. Some mechanic to extend WS charges or the like (maybe a glyph) would greatly improve my quality of life.

I think all healers love that "I saved the day" feeling. That's fun for me, when I know that my CD or buffed heal just kept us from wiping.

It's absolute torture knowing that a boss mechanic or chosen strategy makes or breaks my value to the raid. Resto Shamans more than any other healing class, have very specific limitations to our healing. Both of our multi-target heals are dependent on raid positioning and in some encounters are completely neutralized. It's less fun knowing that on some encounters my presence is a hindrance for the raid as compared to another healing class.

N/A

Just to be competitive again. With the redistribution of the buffs our totems bring combined with our strengths being dependent on mechanics or strat, there really is no reason to bring a Shaman healer over say, another druid or priest. In this tier we are second class healers that you bring to farm content. I hate that.

I virtually never use Healing Surge. I think that's common among resto shamans now. It's too expensive for the amount of healing it gives and in those "holy crap" moments I have a NS/GHW macro. If a fight had a period of rapid incoming damage that I needed an HS spam for, I'd be OOM in about 8 seconds, thereby rendering me useless for the rest of the encounter.
PvP

Rated BGs, Arena

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
that you can't have earthshield and water orbs on yourself. our mana regen is based around water orbs and our "survivability" is based upon big heals, so as soon as ES is switched to yourself you're out of mana... but if you don't switch you're dead

totems! I love the concept of totems and the fact that they make my class unique

survivability as enhancement and elemental, there needs to be a baseline cooldown to take less damage for all 3 specs that isn't crucial for burst

speaking from a resto PoV I enjoy our pvp "rotation". I wish we had to use chain heal more though, I love the CH animation. hell, make healing wave the CH animation and I'd be set!

a survivability cooldown for enhancement/elemental. I'll trade spirit link totem for a more "reliable" baseline cooldown for sure!

more sustained enhancement damage. I love playing enhancement but when you rely on wolves to be able to pressure a target it really sucks whereas dks, warriors, rogues and ferals can constantly pressure a target

poison cleansing totem! so OP but so good.

the CH animation for healing wave or healing surge <3

chain heal, healing rain, healing surge, frost shock (the slow is great but it's not even worth the mana anymore due to the duration/damage)
85 Troll Shaman
PVE.

Raids.

N/A.

Totems being an outdated mechanic that is more hassle than fun at this point, AOE mechanics being as clunky as they possibly could be, and getting no use out of Haste for Enhancement and little use out of Haste for both Enhancement and Elemental.

Especially when playing Enhancement, having a rotation that requires attention, and that is just overall fun to manage and use. For Elemental, having the wide variety of elements at my disposal is cool (in regards to things like Earthquake, Chain Lightning, Fire Nova, Thunderstorm specifically).

Knowing that during some parts of certain fights, I have no hope whatsoever to do relatively decent DPS (AOE fights, especially) compared to my teammates, and that the guilds I've been in pretty much have used me as an interrupt bot, instead of the versatile, useful raid member that Shaman seems to be on paper. And, as contradictory as this sounds, the "traditional" abilities of this class (totems, Ghost Wolf, Elementals, etc.)... I would just like to see them updated a bit.

For Elemental, I feel like I don't really have all that much to do.

For Enhancement, I feel like I don't really have any sort of predictable "burst" or useful DPS cooldown (wolves' damage is extremely low compared to other class' cooldowns). Both Elemental and Enhancement feel like something is "missing", but I wouldn't go so far as to say that "missing something" breaking the class by not being there.

For Restoration, feeling like I could use another HoT, or some sort of instant-heal. One of those "life-saving"-type, big cooldowns would be nice, as Spirit Link feels less like a big cooldown and more like a cool tool to make healing a tad easier.

1. New AOE for the class altogether.
2. An additional, useful spell or two to use as Elemental.
3. A decent DPS cooldown for Enhancement, or a buff to Spirit Wolves.
4. A brand new 31-point talent in Elemental's talent tree, especially one that could be used in regular fights (as pretty much every other DPS spec has).
5. Seasoned Winds to be removed from the Enhancement tree, and replaced with a useful talent.
6. Mana issues during Elemental's AOE rotations to be given some sort of fix.
7. A replacement for or re-vamping of totems.

As Elemental, Unleash Elements, which I don't really understand. As Enhancement, Lava Burst.
Edited by Hajnalka on 9/12/2011 10:02 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
PvE almost exclusively on Shaman.

Raids, occasionally heroics.

NA

Resto:
As another poster said, refreshing Water Shield during heavy AoE damage is a double-whammy. If I don't refresh it, I lose mana that's needed for healing later. If I do refresh it, my HPS drops and deaths may ensue. I feel penalized for playing a Resto Shaman and having to blow precious GCD's to just stay competitive, with no immediate gain.

In 10 mans (my primary raiding) I suffer a great deal with raid healing when the group isn't stacked. A clever healer in FL will find appropriate times to use CH/HR, but when I can't use them (quite often) raid healing becomes a vicious game of whack-a-mole. Admittedly, it IS still fun and I DO still do pretty well, but eh.

Ele:
Fire Elemental is retarded. I know there are issues will allowing multiple potential pets, and I have no doubt that considerable work has been put into making it more intelligent, but re-directing it when necessary is impossible, and it is a huge portion of our DPS (which is fine.. if it were more intelligent). There are also some fights where it is almost useless because it attacks bad targets, or pointless targets, or because it just doesn't feel like attacking.

Glyph of unleashed lightning is a HUUUUUUGE QoL boost. I love it.

General:
Having to redrop totems in general feels like lost time. Having no personal defensive cooldowns is pretty rough too. Stoneclaw(glyphed) isn't strong enough in PvE to make it worth the time it takes to use, it takes a GCD, and it requires spending another GCD to drop the totem you had up before it.

As a resto shaman, I like having to choose the appropriate heal. I do think the mana change from Wrath was a good one, it forces actual decision making.

For elemental, the knockback on Thunderstorm is useful in some fights, and it makes me feel special :3

No safety net in either spec. If I make a mis-step, and I'm away from the group for whatever reason, I have no personal defensive cooldown to compensate for my mistake. If I'm not in the PW:B, I just get nuked. If I pull (lol yeah right any more), I can't just iceblock or vanish or deterrence or even barkskin. If I'm in resto, I can drop a Spirit Link, but that does no good if I'm alone (lol @ 10% DR). It makes me very twitchy. Also, Elemental currently has a very bland rotation. Two abilities + filler, with no execute or anything is kind of.. meh. I guess an occasional earth shock does count for something, so hey.

Resto feels pretty good for the most part. Healing Surge is useless entirely, which is an unfortunate but probably necessary flaw. Resto feels mostly pretty good, except for spread AoE healing.

Elemental's rotation is pretty boring. Keep flameshock up, Lava Burst on cooldown, earth shock between 7-9 charges of lightning shield, lightning bolt filler. It sounds more complicated than it is, and it doesn't even sound complicated. I do like that earth shock and flame shock occasionally coincide making you decide which to use, and that more haste/mastery == more earth shocks required.

Elemental's AoE is abysmal. The last point in a talent tree really shouldn't be 'optional'. Sure, we shine when there are a whole lot of enemies who live forever and ever, but unless we can get flame shocks rolling on like 4 targets (at least 24 seconds lost there), our AoE is awful. And poor enhancement is worse.

I've said it twice now, but personal defensive cooldown of some type would be nice.
A smarter fire elemental, or at least a way to control him better.
I really want unleash weapon to be useful in elemental, it seems so iconic but it's.. just not useful.
Other elementals would be fun!
SHAMAN TANK. (not really)
Better AoE healing, and better AoE DPS.

In resto I don't even have Healing Surge on my bar. It's way too expensive, it heals for too little, and it casts about as fast as a tidal-surged healing wave/greater healing wave. Maybe once I can get enough haste to go nuts it'll be a different story, but right now it's useless.
Unleash weapon is rarely used in Elemental. Currently, only for long periods of AoE.

Frost Shock, Frostbrand Weapon, Earthquake, Rockbiter Weapon.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What type of content do you focus on? PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Questing, 5mans

If PvP, what type of PvP? N/A

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? Swords. Shamans need access to them, simply to give a little bit more variety to what they can work with. Or barring that, maybe a return to caster Fists.

What makes playing your class more fun? The Elemental feel of the tree is great, and I love the RP'ness of it, as well as the simplicity of the tree. However...

What makes playing your class less fun? The simplicity. Elemental gets the least spells from the tree, and from ANY tree in WoW, and not even at level 10 do we gain something for our core rotation.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? See above. Nothing different from, say, a Resto that gets to flat out ranged dps.

What’s on your wish list for your class? An elemental talent, akin to Arcane Barrage, Pyroblast, Starsurge, etc... Something of a 'core' trademark spell that gets used more regularly.

What spells do you use the least? Flame Nova.
85 Troll Shaman
PvE, as Enhancement

Raids, normal and heroic modes

The lack of versatility in shaman totems

single target fights where I can use my Enhancement abilities to cause huge damage to a slow or stationary target. (Baleroc, Deathbringer Saurfang)

Encounters where I have to utilize Area of Effect damage or where I have to move around (I love encounters where I have to move but my class is not built for it)

Very clean and organized, but the lack of versatility with the Maelstrom Weapon procs (only lightning bolt) and the less random nature of them (as compared to WotLK) make the rotation less interesting.

More effective totem setup as well as a more specialized Enhancement talent setup to make it as Ghostcrawler has said, like playing a separate class from the other specs.

Lava burst, rockbiter weapon, primal strike, totem of the tranquil mind, earth elemental
100 Orc Shaman
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] - PvE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] - Raids

- Definitely itemization. Enhancement shamans have very limited selection of useful weapons - only one-handed axes, maces and fists with AGI. In tier 1 cataclysm raiding, the only available raid quality shaman weapon dropped off the final boss of the tier - which means we can only aquire it AFTER we actually need it. In tier 2 there was no enhancement weapon available from crafting, leaving the only way for enhancement shamans to get good Firelands-ready weapon to be farming old content on weekly basis for a chance for that ONE potential drop. I have had great difficulty securing spots in Firelands raids because of this - and if the situation continues - by the patch 4.3 my main weapon will be outdated by at least TWO tiers.

- Combat dynamic, lack of exhaustible resource like energy or rage takes away the feeling of frustration when you feel like you have to "wait" during the fight.

- Lack of sustainable AoE ability, totems require too much maintenance. Spirit Wolves looks like a very cool spell, but it's difficult to gauge it's real usefulness.

- This is tricky. Technically we are supposed to use priority system to maximize the synergies from different attacks. But the synergies just don't feel very powerful or rewarding, and sometimes it can feel more productive to just use every ability as soon as it comes off cooldown, rather then look for good synergies.

- Mechanics-wise - sustainable multitarget attack for enhancement. In general - wider range of available weapons, if better itemization isn't an option.

- Fire Nova, because AOE situations mostly involve packs of weak enemies - so too often the enemy with flame shock effect dies very fast, before fire nova can be used to full effect. Frost Shock and Frostbrand Weapon have very limited usage in PvE.
85 Draenei Shaman
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE.

25 man raiding at the Heroic content level as the Enhancement spec.

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

In no particular order -

1) Searing Totem's AI.

2) Having to reforge, as Enhancement, for 500 more Hit/Expertise than any other spec in the game.

3) Totem inferiority to other buffs in range, duration, mobility, etc.

4) Maelstrom Weapon not processing off of absorbs.

5) Wanting a Spellpower weapon.

6) Feral Spirits being a pile of garbage. It's the 31-point talent!

7) Dual-usage abilities as a whole. They never work, because you're always going to prioritize one usage over the other. An example of this is the current form of Shamanistic Rage - it both stops mana usage and functions as a damage reduction cooldown. Because mana usage doesn't matter, we only use it as a damage reduction CD. However, if mana usage did matter, then using it for that would always trump the damage reduction. Back in ICC when SR was made into a dps cooldown with the 4 piece bonus, it was exclusively used as that, leaving Enhancement with no defensive CDs. Dual-usage abilities are bad.

8) Stoneclaw shield not scaling. It's a flat amount, which means it becomes less and less useful as the expansion goes on.

9) Exchanging utility for buffs with totems. This has more implications in PvP. Why do I have to lose Strength of Earth to snare someone, or break a snare, or break a fear, or use Stoneclaw Totem's glyphed absorb?

Enhancement in particular is fun because it's a mixture of physical and elemental damage. It's also fun because there is a lot of synergy within the spec. Abilities compliment other abilities and work well together.

1) The AoE. Shaman AoE is flat out terrible. It's gotten to the point where I don't bother trying because it's so atrociously awkward and the returns I get from doing it are abysmal anyway.

2) The fact that Enhancement has no tricks for PvE. Playing Enhancement boils down to "Target Mob X and do standard rotation ad infinity." This goes for Elemental in large part too. Enhancement really doesn't bring anything to the table in the form of cooldowns or extra utility.

In a nutshell? The entirely CD-based rotation doesn't work. It's why Haste is such an abysmal stat for Enhancement. Enhancement needs a resource to interact with. That said, the abilities themselves are fine and fun to use.

The one problem I do have currently is where Maelstrom Weapon Lightning Bolts falls on the current priority list. Enhancement generates Maelstrom Weapon charges by using their attacks and auto attacking. The way one would initially look at it, then, is that you should be using attacks like Stormstrike and Lava Lash to generate charges. Well, the currently priority has Stormstrike and Lava Lash ahead of using instant Lightning Bolts. With the entire point of MW supposedly to add a degree of reaction and randomness to the rotation, it feels weird that the 2 strikes Enhancement has that can generate charges both trump Lightning Bolt. In short, it doesn't feel like MW adds that degree of randomness to the rotation anymore when you're potentially waiting several seconds to use it after it reaches 5 stacks.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10) Fixing AoE.

11) A totem revamp. Yes, I know. But seriously, they still have all the drawbacks of 7 years ago, despite no longer being unique and powerful.

12) Getting a useful dps cooldown (IE Feral Spirits fixed).

13) Having Searing Totem work as advertised.

14) Getting some sort of resource system.

15) Having 200% Spell Crit.

16) Having 1 tier this expansion where Enhancement doesn't have the majority of available weapons off trash/shared boss loot.

Far Sight, mostly because of the restrictions, and the Rockbiter weapon imbue.
Edited by Hyjinx on 9/13/2011 8:56 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Rogue

My main concern with shamans is their uniqueness within each spec in pvp environments, especially concerning the Enhancement spec.

What i mean is I think that the enhance and elemental specs are intertwined with its resto counterpart too closely.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?

In arenas and RBGs there's really no reason to bring enhance, over a DK, Ret, or feral, because you can fill the spot with a healing resto shaman (which brings very similar utility) and refill the DPS spot the enhance would take up with a DK or something with higher burst (this happens especially in RBGs.)

There should be more focus into making the elemental and enhance counterparts more unique from its healing counterpart.

Ideas - (just ideas from what I've experienced read on AJ and seen)
take the cooldown off of hex for enhance

allow for earthen power to give the enhance immunity from snares for 3 seconds on the first pulse

remove the 15 yard restriction for the range freeze (we have difficulty peeling for our partners or protecting them in anyway)

make it baseline for lightning shield to never run out of charges

making wolves full time

removing spirit walk from the wolves and giving it to Enhance shamans as a unique spell

Bring back double purge for enhancement

give enhancement an execute type ability because enhancement has difficult getting killing blows.

I would like enhancement to have some sort of peeling/defensive mechanism for allies besides off heals.
Edited by Xaven on 9/19/2011 8:58 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]