Class Feedback – Shaman

(Locked)

85 Goblin Shaman
I would just like to preface this by saying that i play an Elemental Shaman and my responses will be from that perspective.

What type of content do you focus on? PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? Heroic 5 mans, 10 mans

If PvP, what type of PvP? n/a

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? not having to carry around those 4 totems in my bag is a plus. i'm not a big fan of reagents for abilities. Also, why does my 31 point talent deal physical damage?

What makes playing your class more fun? I enjoy the utility i bring to raids an the many buffs i can provide for my raid/group.

What makes playing your class less fun? crappy aoe, no defensive Cooldown,

How do you feel about your “rotation”? it's fine, i can handle all of the procs.

What’s on your wish list for your class?
AI of my fire elemental
Defensive Cooldown that is not also a dps ability
unleashed weapon being a dps boost
all shocks have their own CDs (i realize the pvp implications of this change but i am very tired of all the changes to playing pve because of pvp)
spreading flame shocks faster
better aoe
a better 31 point talent, i don't even take it for my build
being able to compete on the damage meters

What spells do you use the least? Unleashed weapon(dps loss), earthquake (why does it do physical?), fire nova (too long to properly set it up)
90 Draenei Shaman
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics/raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

N/A

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Stationary totems, totems originally produced some awesome and unique buffs, but with all the recent class homogenization having to continually recast the same buffs everytime the boss moves that most classes have the buff that is simply a buff. (exe my Str of earth totem can easily be barely outrage in a movement fight causing me to have to recast every time we move, or lose the buff if i don't notice, but a warr battle shout or DK horn of winter will always be with you for the duration)

What makes playing your class more fun?

I like having a lot of utility as a dps, being able to interrupt on a dime, having a slow to cast, being able to throw out heals to the tank if needed. Big numbers are great, but knowing that you just saved a wipe through playing your class to its fullest has a bit more personal satisfaction than being top on recount.

What makes playing your class less fun?

The only main problem with Shamans as they stand is the lack of any bursty AOE on anything that needs to be burned down fast and doesn't have relatively high hp (eyes of occulthuar or adds on chogal perhaps) while we have several AOEs that are available, they are all fairly weak and require substantial build up time to achieve efficiency that most classes have with a single spell.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Both enhance and elemental rotations are fairly simple yet a bit involving to obtain optimal dps, so no complainants here, (with the notable AOE exception noted above)

a better burst aoe than my high powered bolt gun, magma totem is passive once you put it down but weak, fs/fn has serious ramp up time to obtain substantial results, elemental has earthquake (though again weak) and a decent chain lightning but enhancement really has very little in the way of good aoe. and a way to move totems without having to recast them would be great as well :)

What spells do you use the least?

Hard to say, i think every spell/totem has its time and place. what is used least really depends on what situation your in.

90 Troll Shaman
Both
Raids 10 man
Arena
What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
I am having no issues in PVE or PVP - the shaman is the class I have had no problems.
Everything - totems , spells, being a shaman
NOTHING!
How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I'm a healer - i dont have a rotation - and i enjoy it! Mix of powerful AOE and Good Single heals.
Flying!
Ghost Wolf PVe
90 Draenei Shaman
What type of content do you focus on?
Pve

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Heroics, Raids as resto

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Someone above mentioned about water shield dropping in aoe heavy fights and totems expiring in long fights but I feel those are not that important (water shield returns mana and dropping totems again takes a second). I know it's not really a quality of life issue about the totems, but I just feel sad that they lost their utility. Aside from healing stream totem there is absolutely no reason to put down any totems. They might be somewhat useful in heroics (again, more often than not healing stream is the only one I ever have to put down) but in general I'm saddened by the continued trend of homogenization across all classes.

Incredible synergy between all of shaman's core healing spells. Great, logical mastery (especially after it was buffed). Good thoroughput of healing. Versitility (and ability to instantly swtich between tank healing and raid healing and do both well)

Fights and situations where everyone is spread out and the efficiency of chain heal+ healing rain is wasted. Althought things have improved since Wrath with the introduction of healing rain and spirit link, I still feel our toolbox is very limited compared to priests for example. I also play a priest at high level and it feels fun juggling so many different abilities and trying to perfect the timing of using them but shamans simply lack the same complexity. Tank healing or spot healing? Riptide+ greater healing wave. Raid healing? Chain heal + healing rain (of course if everyone stacks, if people are spread out go back to riptiding). It's that simple! Of course mana comes into a play and adds a layer of complexity but again, priests have to master mana management as well as their enormous toolbox with so many interesting and creative healing mechanics.

Totems that are actually helpful to the raid (I know it might be difficult without making shamans powerful. But something minor and useful like healing stream totem?). Better tank cooldown because spirit link is just not cutting it in Firelands (the range on it is too limiting).

Unleash Elements and Healing Surge.
Edited by Letdai on 9/12/2011 10:24 AM PDT
90 Troll Shaman

Mostly PVE these days. I actually enjoy PVP more - but the time commitment required to stay competitive was not something I could sustain.

Normal 10 man raids. We're about halfway through Firelands right now with 4 bosses down.

Used to play a lot of Arenas, but almost zero pvp this year.

Quality of life is pretty decent. It's a little bit annoying that in most raids my Earth totem is redundant no matter which buff I choose. But otherwise the class doesn't have any real headaches.

My main spec is healing - and I LOVE landing those huge heals that take a player from near death to a nice comfortable health level.

Chain heal not being very useful in 5-man dungeons or 10-man raiding. Chain heal was my favorite Shaman ability - dating all the way back to the Shadow Hunter in Warcraft 3. I choose this Shaman back in WoW 1.0 because of it - and its disappointing that I don't get to use it all that much anymore.

Rotation (or priority table) is challenging enough that I don't get bored - which is a good thing. I especially like abilities like unleash elements that require anticipation and setup but come with a large reward. I also like the way that the riptide buff interacts with the direct heals. I really hope that this era of challenging spell selection continues. I can't go back to spamming my fastest heal like whack a mole. Never.

An emergency AOE heal. Spirit link totem pretty cool but it has a short range and really only moves health around. It's decent for planned events of spike damage, but not that good when things get kind of chaotic. It would be awesome to have a raid saver ability on a long cooldown. I've actually found myself in situations where a Moonkin would stop DPS'ing and rescue the whole raid with a well timed tranquility - and yet being a dedicated healer I don't have an ability that can achieve the same affect.

Personally I don't use Spiritwalker's grace very often but that may just be me. Most PVE encounter movement is short lived and happens repeatedly throughout the fight. So if I need to rely on Spiritwalker to get through that event, I'm probably in big trouble 30 seconds later when I have to move again. I feel like the content is balanced around healers being able to move around within the encounter as necessary too. So I often forget I even have the ability.

Also I very rarely use unleash elements in my elemental dps rotation. I find for the sake of using a global cooldown I often get more bang out of an additional lightning bolt while I wait for lava burst to come off cooldown.
85 Draenei Shaman

PvE primarily. Very little PvP.

Raiding and Heroics. I raid with my guild and generally PuG Heroics. More often than not, I PuG the 359 raids as well since we are currently working on FL content.

If PvP, what type of PvP?

2v2 arenas, 3v3 arenas when I do PvP. Random BGs for Honor to gear for Arenas.

One of the great improvements has been Call of the Elements though it would be nice if totems were off the GCD.

I love enhancement. From SS to huge LL crits to managing cooldowns, makes the class fun to play. A 5/6 sec CD non-missable interrupt is also fun making me the prime interrupt in the group.

As enhancement, I haven't used my fire/earth elemental totem in >5 man content ever. From Wrath I remember being terribly excited when this was implemented. Some of that excitement has died down. It doesn't make the class significantly less fun to play though.

My major issue is with Searing Totem and it's uncontrollable nature. I would love to see Searing totem assist off the shaman and attack the target it is attacking. Since LL makes up most of my DPS, missing searing flame stacks hits DPS hard. This is obviously only true when there is more than 1 mob in close vicinity of each other.

Which brings me to Enhancement AoE. I feel lackluster on fights that have more than one mob around. Fire Nova mechanics make it so that getting off more than 2 flame shocks before either the initial mob dies or all the mobs die is impossible. The problem is with the buildup time for the AoE. Also, my love for melee would love to see a melee AoE but that might be wishful thinking. The likes of cleave, WW, Swipe come to mind.

I believe that part of the shaman class is fine other than I don't agree with hard casting LvB with the Eye of Purification. It doesn't jive with the rest of our insta-cast abilities. (I don't hard cast LB at 3+ Mael stacks for that reason. I feel the hard casting spells aren't intended for Enhancement shamans. I prefer the elemental spec if I want to hard cast).

There have been a couple of decent ideas on the forums from re-working our 31 point feral spirits talent (which I believe is a little underpowered) to a general buff in overall damage. I don't think Enhancement shamans are too far off but I believe they definitely aren't tweaked to their optimal just as yet. I'd be happy with a slight dps increase. While I may not top the meters, the chance to not be able to absolutely do so is disheartening at times. I would like to see enhancement DPS at a stage where the class isn't overpowered but if everything is executed perfectly, there is a chance you can see an enhancement shaman at the top of the meters. This would give additional incentives to RLs to bring a few more enhancement shamans to the raid.

LvB, Fire Elemental, Earth Elemental, Fire Nova, Totem of Tranquil Mind.
85 Draenei Shaman
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
I mainly focus toward PvE but I love doing both equally, recently only had time for one which was PvE

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Heroic Raids, end game pve content

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Rated bgs and 3v3/5v5 arena

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
I loved when you could press one button and all your totems would drop, instead of having to drop each individually.

# What makes playing your class more fun?
Before, I would have said uniqueness but our uniqueness is completely gone. Now I just enjoy how a shaman heal, we can either tank or raid heal, or both at the same time. It may not be as strong as others but I find it fun that we can do this and do it in a different way from other classes.

# What makes playing your class less fun?
Everyone can do what we do, and do it better. Example would be a frost dk vs enh shamy, they give our buffs while doing more dps in equal gear/skill.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I find the enhancement "rotation" to be very interesting, I like it but I don't at the same time. As enhancement, its priority based as to apposed press this then this after and then this, it makes you think a bit more about what you're doing and when. But when Aoe fights come into play, I really dislike it. Our AoE is ramp-up in which we do more aoe over time, it can become a pain and sometimes feels it's not worth doing so because it takes too long to finally reach the peak.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?
Of course, the ability to keep up competitively. ;D But not only that, I wish our class could become unique again, not to the point as we're needed in the raid or group because of what we offer. I'm saying, having an ability in which the mechanics function differently from the way other classes abilities function. I could use lava burst as an example, it crits if the player has flame shock on that target.
Also another way to regen mana as a healer would be very useful, telluric currents can really hurt your healing in many cases. Something that I've been thinking of is a water elemental, that pulses heals and gives mana on attack or passively. When pulsing heals it gives a stack on each player that increases healing taken per stack, and consumed on the shaman's next heal, also restoring mana.

# What spells do you use the least?
As resto I rarely use unleash elements, it's ok for a quick heal while moving from one place to another, but it doesn't do much other then a little tick of healing and a bit of a bonus on your next heal. This could be tweaked by making your next heals within say 10 seconds do bonus healing.
100 Draenei Shaman
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Mostly PvE, with a bit of PvP on the side.

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Both heroics and raids.

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

BG's, a few rated BG's, and a bit of world pvp

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Totems feel a bit clunky, extra work for mostly non-unique buffs.

AOE is in a similar boat, while the flame shock/fire nova combo is interesting it takes a while to get going and most things that require aoe (trash packs ect.) are just about dead by the time it starts to deal good damage. And earthquake just feels kind of weak overall and expensive mana-wise, with the knock down being almost non-existent/noticeable.

Having to recast water shield while healing can sometimes get annoying.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

I like being able to spam cast (with overlord proc's and such) so that I'm some kind of lightning bolt shooting machine gun, while at the same time I enjoy having the ability to heal when needed. I would say that I like the overall versatility shamans have, and the the feel that both the offensive and defensive spells have. Although I do wish we had a more generalized defensive cooldown that had a shamany feel.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Mostly, the loss of unique abilities peeves me a bit. Water walking to deathknights, heroism to mages, totem buffs to a ton of classes ect. This would be alright if not for the fact that now we give the same buffs through a clunky mechanic. Totems have to constantly be recast and have a limited range and duration. Water walking still requires unmounting and reagents unless glyphed. It kind of feels like a lot of the shamanyness we had was bled out over the years, and while we've gained a few things in that time it still feels like a loss overall.

Oh, and the loss of class specific quests/lore kinda takes away from the feel of the class and game overall.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I have raided with elemental since BC and I can say that the rotation has gotten a lot better over the years. It's in a pretty decent place right now but there are a couple things that bug me. The shock cooldown often interferes with fulmination/earth shocking (for when flame shock needs to be reapplied, or frost shock is needed for kiting), it would be nice if reaching 9 lightning shield charges allowed earth shock to be used regardless of the shock cooldown. The other thing is that shamans are supposed to be masters of the elements, yet lightning and lava seem to be all we use for offensive spells, how about something with ice? I was thinking a dot or stacking debuff of some kind to give us a ramp up time.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

Remove the cooldown on hex or at least rework it a bit for PvE use, it really sucks when someone hits the target by accident and I can't reapply it, a minor range increase wouldn't hurt either.

A rework of our aoe mechanics to make them less clunky, and a rework of earthquake to make it feel less useless and weak.

Changes to totems to make them feel less clunky, or at least unique/valuable.

Some kind of offensive frost or water spell, that element is getting shafted a bit.

Shaman tanking! hahah, I know its just beating a dead horse and it will probably never happen but if the enhancement tree was reworked a little bit and rockbiter was made into a bear-form equivalent I could see it working...

# What spells do you use the least?

The only spell i honestly never use (not counting enhancement only spells since I'm normally elemental) would be rockbiter....the threat and damage reduction seem misplaced if we are not going to tank, and the taunt just takes to long to get off (2 GCD's or weapon switching with a GCD ect.)
86 Human Hunter
For the love of croutons, PLEASE FIX Enhancement AoE! The current system is clunky, complicated, unreliabable and practically worthless.
85 Draenei Shaman
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvE

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids - 10 man

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
Null

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Dropping four totems at once - huge upgrade
Fire Elemental/Searing Totem attacking random targets at times or not attacking - needs work, either something like a pet bar or auto-assist
Area of Effect abilities (Earthquake/Fire Nova/Thunderstorm/Healing Rain) - upgrade compared to what it used to be
Movement while casting spells via Spiritwalker's Grace or Glyph of Unleashed Lightning - huge upgrade, I don't feel like a turret anymore

■What makes playing your class more fun?
For the class as a whole, being able to choose between melee damage, ranged damage, and healer.

■What makes playing your class less fun?
Social stigma as a lower than average class for damage
Lacking control of two elemental totems, which can provide a great boost to a group when operating properly

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
Perfectly fine with it as Elemental, I enjoy building up towards Fulmination as well as the gift of Lava Surge! to keep me on my toes
Enhancement I gave up on as I felt I had to work harder in order to achieve similar results to other melee classes

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
Having control of my Fire/Earth Elemental to target something specific (pet bar or auto-assist)
Searing Totem lasting as long as passive totems, target things I want it to target
Further tweaking of AoE spells, as it stands I feel I have to work much harder than other classes to pull similar damage numbers

■What spells do you use the least?
Spells that are primarily Enhancement/Restoration
Edited by Zakariya on 9/12/2011 10:26 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
Mostly PvE

Raiding, 5-mans and some old content.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
BGs.

Utility Totems and Buffing Totems sharing the same slots. They should either be Utility or Buffs, but not both. Our buffs dying with us is horrible.
MW not proc-ing on shielded targets kill my random Healing Rains.
Having to resummon my Totems everytime Searing Totem kills itself against a boss with reflect. That would be fine in PvP, though.
AoE in both DPS specs.
Some spells draining so much mana. Purge or Ancestral Spirit - I can only cast one before needing to sit for a drink -, to name some.
Wearing a skirt when I'm melee. I want to see my pants.

The nice flowing priority, having both big hits and small DoT'ish damage going on, and my damage not being tied to long CDs or lots of procs. I like the gradual nature of MW, and it being my only proc. Also, Chain Lightning. I love big bolts of lightning. And Wind Shear. I love my Wind Shear.

AoE certainly does. Having every attack on CD when I need to switch. And Resto. I really really don't like Restoration. Not only because it usually gets me nerfed, but because it has too many passive/cooldown/long casting heals for my taste. Choosing between Shocks feels a bit dull, too.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? I love it in Single Target. I can't stress how much I like not having to watch too many long cooldowns or procs. The CD of UE aligning with FS is a bonus. It's a nightmare on AoE, though. Enhancement has a low-ish damage potential and multi-doting on melee range is horrible. Elemental has too many sources of AoE damage that don't flow nicely with each other. I hate EQ.

Agi Swords.
Enhancement being able to tank as well as DPS.
Totems being revised/streamlined - transforming them into only utility sticks or maybe minor buffs.
Elementals being revised/streamlined - decoupling from Totem, being a signature of each spec. The Water Elemental should be at the Resto Shaman side, throwing heals, not as a pet to a Mage.
A nice AoE priority, preferably centred around Chain Lightning. And for the current incarnation of Fire Nova to die a quick and painful death.
Meleeing without a skirt.
Maybe a Spirit Eagle form? That would be really cool and unnecessary.

I... don't know. I think I actually use them all. Maybe Rockbiter Weapon? Although I use it to taunt spiders on Bethy. Primal Strike. Healing Surge is usually not worth it. Chain Heal is lackluster too.
85 Draenei Shaman
Hello,
I've been on my shaman since the end of wrath. I was enhance in wrath, and the start of Cata. This season i went resto and I have plans to return to Enhance at the end of this season. I don't have help for PvE situations, at all. But what i do have is PvP experience and knowledge.

As for the type of pvp, i do mostly all, with the exception of doing arenas simply for fun and not for rating. But my main home in PvP is RBGs.

Quality of Life: I can't say there's anything wrong here. Weapon enchants are annoying to keep reapplying, but i would dislike if they were changed. Every class needs something like that, like a rogues poisons, makes us feel unique. My only suggestion here, is how easily our totems die... but how hard is it to set em back down :).

What makes it fun: As enhance, i love being the class that goes in head first. As other classes you may want to enter the fight carefully and slowly, but as enhance your best bet is to run in and start pounding the person before they can even react. One of the things i love the most is our totems and wolves. Shamans aren't about individual power, but their ability to draw upon the elements to give them power.

What make is less fun: Well... I can't say i don't have fun on my shammy, ever. But i do find one thing annoying. Enhance, when compared to any other melee class, seems to have so many fewer ablities, due mainly in part that the other 2 specs are spellcasters, and thus don't have their own melee abilities to add into enhace, the way a warrior uses fury and arms abilities no mater what spec he is. We definitaly stand up with fewer abilities, but i do find myself going "well, if i had one more cd i woulda beaten that guy." Tho i'm not sure if that is at all a bad thing. All in all, Enhance is fun.

My rotation: I feel its missing something to be honest. Not in the damage department, no, we're fine there :). But i do feel like there is a lot of downtime in my rotation, not all bad, gives me time to purge, wind shear, and hex... but i see many new enhancement shammies not knowing how to use their downtime to the max.

My wish list: At some point i have a dream that enhance will receive an ability from their talent trees. This ability will be a totem, and will give us either an offensive cd or defensive cd, much like wolves. Perhaps they would be unable to use at the same time, but it would be something new... I'm not asking for another elemental to summon, but i would like a cd to pop. Doesn't need to be anything to strong, but a little buff to get me to my next cds would be beast.

As for least used talents: As a healer and as enhance, spiritwalkers grace has surprised me how much i never use it. As a healer i find it only usefull to max when healing someone else who is running. If used on urself the dps killing you can simply interupt you, and being as moving won't stop the cast its not as easy to ghost cast while spirit walking. As enhance: in 2v2 arenas i've used it coupled with wolves sprint and a healing surge spam to go from 1/4 life to 3/4 and come back to win the game. But that happens so little. All classes have abilities to get up to you and stop that cast, its just a matter of if they are good enough to stop it. Saw ppl saying unleash elements was unused. As enhance its mandatory, and as resto its a fantastic heal and buff to next heal. Unleash elements is not an unused move.

I suppose thats all i've got. I've seen that GhostCrawler will be looking into shammies in the coming weeks and has his eyes focused on wind shear. All i can say to this, let enhance stay as strong as they currently are. I finally feel like enhance is back up to the level and power of the other big melee classes, like warriors and dks, and i don't want to loose this for next season.

Conclusion: Enhance is the most fun class/spec to play in the game. But it feels like we're 1 move short of a full rotation.
PvP

NA

Arena, 2700 bracket

Searing totem AI, it's derp man xD

It's the underdog in pvp

most classes are able to counter enh too well

It's Fine.

Make enh more of a threat. I was 2700 for most of S9 till lust got tooken out and enh damage became to weak compared to every other melee. There's only a handful of Enhancement shaman in the 2400-2500 bracket, and nothing higher. The spec is near perfect with a few things needed to be changed. Maybe the spec is in a good place, but when put side to side with every other melee in Arena, Enh is the weakest melee spec. Windfury is to lackluster to depend on if RNG isn't on your side. Most of the time you get a 5stack MW, you have to use it to heal yourself because enh is a punching bag. Most important. Scale Feral Spirits, our TRUE cooldown, and they do 300damage to resilience players while healing for nothing, the only reason to use them atm is for the sprint to unsnare yourself/catch up to someone and to Bash a target.

Far Sight/Rockbiter Weapon/Water Breathing
Edited by Thermiepie on 9/12/2011 10:17 AM PDT
85 Goblin Shaman
I really enjoy my shaman which I am playing mostly in pvp due to time restrictions. I play elemental and the only change I would like is to have more totems be usable while incapacitated. As an example stoneclaw totem (glyphed of course) being usable while stunned would be very helpful in keeping me alive when a rogue stunlocks me (currently) to death.
85 Worgen Rogue
I raid on both an enhancement shaman and a rogue for several groups, and I feel pretty confident to answer these questions.

PvE Strictly

Raids and I do heroics of course for valor points sometimes.

None at all

To be honest I think enhancement is fine, except for example our shields and weapon enchants could be increased to an hour or so.

It's kind've annoying to have to recheck on those constantly. The shields duration is the most annoying issue.

I enjoy being somewhat gcd locked, and knowing the priority. Makes me feel always busy and such.

Instantly what comes to mind is the shaman AoE. I hear complaints about this from elemental and enhance alike, and really I think this is the only issue about enhancement. I can't honestly say anything about resto or elemental due to have never played it, but I can say that is my only issue.

That and perhaps having a few abilities boosted to be on par with the other classes :P

I think it's fine to be honest.

A less annoying aoe, slightly boosted numbers, and perhaps some more elementals to play around with :P

Obviously Earth shock.
85 Troll Shaman
Both

25 man hard mode

BGs looking to getting into Rated BGs, some arenas but not hard core about it.

The biggest quality of life issue a shaman faces is totems. This is more of a nuisance then anything. I knew when picking a shaman I would have to deal with totems since those are the definition of the class. This is acceptable and personally, I don’t think it needs to be changed.

There are several things that make a shaman fun. Be able to choose melee dps, ranged dps or heals is a great thing. The elemental mastery is awesome when you get several procs in a row. The perfectly timed hex + burst in arenas. Instant ghost wolf is fun. On the other hand, prior to 4.2 I played a holy paladin from Kara -> 4.2. Pretty much any class can be considered fun after that.

In pvp the one thing that makes it less fun is the lack of a defensive cool down as elemental. The lack of a 31 point elemental talent is not fun. Having our dps rely on how well we can line up procs with 2p t12 to buff the fire elemental to remain competitive is not fun. Relying on a set bonus to reset your elemental is not fun when it takes a long time and your dps drops drastically for it.

I like the elemental rotation. It is not overly complex and has a tinge of reaction time built into it. If you miss procs your dps can drop which puts a gap between great, good, average, etc players. It has become a very dynamic rotation with the newest 2pc and 4pc set bonuses.

I would love to see a permanent fire elemental, any type of 31 point talent for elemental as well as a defensive cool down.

Unleashed elements, it does not provide enough dps to justify pressing this button in pve, especially since glyph of Unleashed Lightning. Earthquake (I don’t even spec into it but this might change for HM Rag.)
100 Orc Shaman
Both, as Elemental

Normal & heroic raid content.

BGs, trying to improve my skill to get into arena & RBGs atm.

Useless 31 talent 99% of the time.

Being a Jack of all trades, overload procs, unleash lightning glyph , and the lore behind the class.

Not being unique anymore, we need something to make us a special snowflake of sorts again.

aside from FS and Fulmination sometimes getting screwed up in timing, maybe my lack of skill in timing, but that's about it. Maybe increase the initial dot time on FS by 5 seconds?

1. One buff that makes us unique again, not a buff that is needed to progress but a buff that doesn't make or break a raid. Wrath of air totem increases spell haste by 5% & movement speed slightly. Basically so people don't have to enchant lava walker or earthen vitality to boots if they don't want to, if they have a shaman present in the raid. That wont make or break a raid at all, but if u do have a shaman you can gain 50 extra of a secondary stat of your choice, and maybe use 2 talent points in a different area.

2. Being able to overload on Fulmination

3. Your critical Strikes from Lightning Bolt cause the target to take nature damage equal to xx% of the Lightning Bolt's damage over 4 sec. Revisiting our tier 8 4set bonus but improved %, have it work as if the buff stacks until you stop criting. For example, if you were to crit 3 LBs in a row and it fell off after 3 it would calculate all the damage when it fell off. That would add a boost to dps and another much needed dot as a new 31 talent.

Purge, mana spring, Earth elemental.
Earthquake, Unleash elements
Edited by Viktavious on 9/12/2011 10:38 AM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
■What type of content do you focus on?
PvE 1st and PvP 2nd. Elemental Spec

■If PvE, what type of PvE?
Raiding with heroic filling gaps

■If PvP, what type of PvP?
BGs and Arenas for points

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

1. The Fire elemental totem needs to be controllable. It appears to be based on the fixate code used elsewhere and unless you are dealing with a single boss target with an AoE to trigger it it has a lot of bad habits. Attacks totems instead of the Lynx boss in ZA, doesn't attack anything, leashes back to its totem on longer kites (Shannox). Doesn't handle phase transitions (you can't drop it in ZG on the file boss until you hit P2).

2. Related to this, is that the 2pc set bonus now is bordering on required. When the Elemental is up and working as intended, the DPS is very good. But now, for a DW raid, I would be loathe to upgrade my tier pieces.

3. CD's on Shocks. I see Locks and mages with spammable uninterruptable instant spells (fel Flame & IceLance). Locks and Shadow Priests have multiple DOTS castble while moving. While our new LB glyph helps in BG and chases...the cast time is bit long and its interruptable (and subject to lockout). Then there is managing fulmination and Flameshock (see below)

4. Earthquake. Too expensive on mana for little damage. If the knockdown effect was constant (acting like a root/interrupt) reliably on targets it would be ok. But many mobs in raiding seem to be unaffected. A minor nit, is I like Earthquakes original pancake graphic so I can easily see where it is. The dust graphic is too indistinct and its hard to see when stacked on death and decay and other effects.

5. Fulmination: for all the work to build it up, working around Shock CD's and that it doesn't hit hard enough is a challenge. I might be able to live with the lower damage if I didn't have to manage shock CD's

6. Thunderstorm: I like the snare for Thunderstorm. I don't like how Warriors and Rogues ignore it (heroic leap, shadowstep) I would rather it stun the players and mobs.

7. Gear storage: this isn't Shaman specific, but my bags are full of gear; 2 elemental sets (PvE and PvP) and one Enh (PvE). I would like to have a a Enh PvP set, but I can't afford the bag space on hand. (and I carry food, water and other random crap from fishing, arch, teleport devices, etc) If I wanted to even branch to Resto, that's 6 sets of potential gear. Farming Justice and Honor is easier than farming up the mats for the high end bag. I'm sure that Druids and Pallys could use love here as well.

■What makes playing your class more fun?
Being a lightning bolt slinger with the occasionally hammer from Lava burst.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

1. PvP - I'm a target because of the lack of a defensive CD. In Arenas without fail, I will be focused on. Resilence, a gylphed Stone claw, it doesn't matter.

2. PvE - Movement fights; Move totems...(especially the Fire Elemental). The glyph helps a bit on damage, but the totem range and the elemental CD makes moving some of them a pain.

3. Overall damage is low compared to equal gear/skill. Sorry this is a thorn in my side when you have 10 man groups making comp decisions. Buff that I provide can be provided in a far more relialble and not a ranged sensitive version from other classes doesn't compensate. Bringing the player and not the class only works if I didn't want to invest in this class spec, where all the gear and achievement points are.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I like my rotation except for the shock CD management. Its not as boring as TBC 5/1 rotation...although I was happier with the damage there so I didn't care as much.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?
Controllable elementals, bordering on a 31 point talent to make it a permanent pet like a frost mage. Make Earthquake a standard part of the kit for elementals or all shaman.

Less class, but dual spec my gear. I earned my Elemental set, when I respec, let me convert it to the Enh equivilant. Do this for the tier sets (PvE/PvP). it would help on the bag space, and wouldn't increase data storage compared to two separate items.

Minor nit; More pants. I don't mind wearing a dress, but don't call it a kilt unless you going to show some calf (or what passes for it on a Draenei). I am eagerly waiting to transmogrify into T5 at this point.

■What spells do you use the least?
Unleashed elements: Waste of a GCD
Earthquake: I'm better off either with Nova, or just Chain Lightning. I get the same results with less mana.
Frostbrand imubue; Tried it, underwhelming in any situation.
Edited by Jessikan on 9/12/2011 10:45 AM PDT
100 Draenei Shaman
Resto shammy, sometimes ele
PVE
Normal Raids
None
Totems. I really like totems being apart of the shaman but i feel they could use some improvements. for example, if i have to provide the spell haste buff and i need spirit link as a cd i have to waste two gcd to lay spirit link. once to put it down and a second time to reapply spell haste. to fix spirit link i say an idea is instead of making it a wind totem add a fifth totem that holds you cds like manatide and spirit link. Fire elemental and utility totems (earthbind and spell absorb totems) not included seeing as that could make this slightly overpowered. another option is to have the game remember what totem you used before and auto summon it off the gcd (and during spell cast).
Water shield could also be made more convenient to keep up.

The thing i like about shamans is first the elements. I think this provides an interesting form of play. second i like our use of chain spells (lighting and heal)

The effective of resto heals when the raid is not grouped and ele aoe.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) Except for ele aoe i like the rotations just fine.

Wider range on totems. Resto totems qol changes listed above. Changes to boost resto healing outside of grouping situations. Improved earthquake or replace it. Fire elemental fix.
I feel that healing surge is too mana inefficient to be used. Unleashed Elements is interesting but nonuseful.
90 Orc Shaman
09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

PvE

Heroics and normal 10m raiding.

Water Shield charges as Resto in a heavy damage fight . I do not enjoy having to baby-sit it every 10-11 seconds when what I need to do is heal and heal harder in such situations. Giving it more charges (say, 9 maximum) would make it less of a chore and a nuisance in these situations.

Searing Totem AI is also terrible. Having to babysit it because it decides to not attack or attack the right target is a big annoyance, specially when a 100% modifier of my Lava Lash relies on the totem doing its job.

Other QoL things would be removing Shamanistic Rage from the GCD, increasing all of our totem buffs to 100 yard range like most other "aura" buffs have, fix absorptions not proccing Maelstrom Weapon, and making Tranquil Mind totem an Air Totem might also make this poor totem see the light of day for once.

Enhancement has a very nice feel to it, being a melee-caster hybrid. I enjoy having melee attacks while using elemental spells in the mix. Wolves are also a fun concept despite being so underwhelming right now as a 31p talent.

As for Resto, being able to use Riptide, Chain Heal and Healing Rain to maximum effect is fun. It makes me know that I'm giving the best healing I can do and not fall back because the raid had to move out of my HR or spread too much.

As Enhancement, AoE. It is simply horrible in the current implementation. It requires multi-dotting from a DoT which has a 6 seconds cooldown (no one takes Reverberation as Enh PvE), giving it a tremendously long ramp up time. In a situation where trash and adds live over one minute, this mechanic probably becomes useful; however, in practice this is never the case. Most encounters that require AoE in Cata have been designed about heavy burst AoE needs, there is no place for a long ramp-up mechanic in these designs, leaving Enh at the bottom for these situations.

For Resto, the heavy reliance on raid positioning coupled with our poor mobile healing outside of SWG can give us a harder time than other classes in encounters which require either raid spreading or constant movement, or both. Being able to do something more than Riptide every 6 seconds while moving (if Spiritwalker's Grace is on cooldown) would be a good improvement for us. Unleashed Life is too pitiful to even get a mention here.

Finally, totems. Totems are no longer "fun". Buff totems have archaic mechanics and Searing and elementals have horrible AI.

As Enhancement, I find it more than fine. I do, however, wish we had some execute move akin to SW:Death or Hammer of Wrath that helped us push extra damage needed in burn phases.

For Resto, I love Healing Rain and Chain Heal, but I do feel like we lack in the mobile healing department.

Enhancement:
-Fix our horrible AoE
-Fix Searing Totem AI
-Buff Spirit Wolves. They currently do between 1 and 2% (and 2 is a pushover) of our damage in a tank-n-spank fight, it is saddening for a 31p talent.
-Shamanistic Rage off the GCD.
-Fix Maelstrom Weapon not proccing from absorption
-An execute ability(akin to SW:Death) or mechanic(flat damage increase on execute range)
-Give us some help on the Hit department. Having to get the full Hit cap of 1742 as non-Draenei, as well as 541 Expertise without Expertise racials is simply overkill. No other class has to reach these numbers.

Resto:
-Better mana regeneration mechanics(not counting Telluric Currents here because even GC said that he was not intending for TC to be a mana-possitive tool) and a personal mana cooldown (all classes are balanced around their own mana cooldowns, while our only Mana cooldown is rebalanced around being raid-wide, getting constant nerfs ever since 4.0.3)
-Some help on our mobility department or less dependency on raid positioning.
-Throughput cooldown. The only thing we can do when more healing is needed is press our keys harder.

As Enhancement, probably Earth Shock because of being bottom of the priority due to how weak it is.

For Resto, Healing Surge (it was mildly useful pre-nerf. Post-nerf it is pointless) and Unleashed Life.

Others: Far Sight and Ancestral Recall.
Edited by Korghal on 9/12/2011 10:26 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]