Idea for a Shaman Class "Mount"

Transform into an Air Elemental...it could fly....it would be awesome
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Heroics and solo content

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]
some BG

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues?
Class mechanics for elemental and resto are awkward and do not mesh well with current encounter design.
Totems have the same limitations they had in 2005, but are no longer as powerful as they were in 2005.
Too much of the class seems to be random proc based now.

What makes playing your class more fun?
Feeling effective in an encounter or being able to shape combat in a meaningful way.

What makes playing your class less fun?
Being ineffective during mobile fights, waiting on things to proc, watching a totem do nothing because it either ai bugged, lost line of sight or just decided to take a vacation for some reason.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
you mean spam lightning bolt till procs allow me to lavaburst or fulminate? there really isn't a rotation for elemental. For resto there likewise is no longer a "rotation"

What’s on your wish list for your class?
New 31 point elemental talent (storm earth and fire anyone?)
bake mobile casting into elemental and resto tree bonuses.
totem mechanics completely overhauled.

What spells do you use the least?
farsight :D

100 Draenei Shaman
What type of content do you focus on?
PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE?]
Raiding

1) Enhancement AoE rotation is clunky - requiring a whole lot of tab targetting - and completely useless on any target that does not survive for a significant period of time. By the time you DoT up enough targets with FS to make it useful, they're often dead. Locks us in to being the Rip and Shred spec.

2) You added Axes to Rogues specifically to allow yourself flexibility to create more weapons suitable to Enhancement and the Rogue weapon specs are now gone. Plz remember this when itemizing craftables. Being the sole spec without a spec appropriate upgrade off the Molten Front dailies was kinda annoying. Having something drop at Brewfest almost 3 months later is not the compromise.

Love the proc'ish nature of the spec and the need to track a reasonable number of abilities. Mobility is good. Like being able flex into different roles - spot heal, kite, etc - on the fly. Keeps me thinking.

Trying to DoT up -> Fire Nova... well, anything...

How do you feel about your “rotation”?
Rotation getting ridiculous. Plz permanently kill Caster Enhancement because I'm running out of convenient buttons to map things to and seeing a potential need to actively cast Lava Burst in the future is not welcoming.

Functional AoE rotation. Little bit less reliance on being able to Stand and Shred without seeing DPS fall off the floor. It's much better than it was in LK, but still there.

Fire Nova. Yeah, of the "core" tools, that's about it. Mostly because other classes are simply more productive at AoE and it's better to leave me swinging on the kill target.
85 Draenei Shaman
■What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

Primarily PvE. I used to PvP more before 4.0 removed all survivability Elemental had.

■If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Raids are my main focus now.

■If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Random BGs.

■What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Not class-specific, but it's sad that 3/4 Capital Cities are basically unusable for each faction. Really, there's almost no reason to NOT portal together the Capital cities, rather than forcing everyone into Stormwind/Orgrimmar (or Shattrath/Dalaran).

Also, Tri-Spec. I like all 3 of my specs, but I'm forced to limit myself. Since my guild needs skilled DPS more than Tanks and Healers, as our DPS is generally low for encounters, I feel obligated to take Enhance as my off-spec in the event encounter mechanics make it favorable for me to use it. If I need 2 specs for PvE to best compliment my raid group, I don't even have a slot for a PvP spec. It really discourages me from both healing and PvP when I cannot spec into it without sacrificing from my raid performance.

■What makes playing your class more fun?

Moving Lightning Bolts sure helped with Elemental. Enhance is mostly button mashing, same as it was before. Resto is hit-or-miss in fun due to how costly mutli-target healing is.

■What makes playing your class less fun?

For Resto, certainly the mana. I also miss Resto having relevant dispel types, since Curses are pathetic as a dispel school and makes me feel impotent in PvP. For Enhance, the utter lack of usable AoE. For Elemental, the utter trainwreck of spells that need to be used for AoE (Chain Lightning, Flame Shock, Fire Nova, Earthquake, Thunderstorm, possibly Magma Totem), contrasting with every other casting spec using 1.

Also, for Elemental and Enhance both, the talent trees. Enhance has a lot of good talents which basically MUST be passed on. At the same time, Elemental has several mandatory talents which are bland and feel like filler. Why does Elemental need talents to increase its spell range when every other caster class in the game was upgraded baseline? What happened to PvP related talents in Elemental? The Shaman talent trees just scream of neglected effort in their 4.0 upgrade, and I think the trainwreck of AoE spells really reinforces that.

■How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Single-target for Enh and Ele, fine. Multi-target for Enh and Ele, feels awful. I can go on a Priest and press 1 Mind Sear, a Warlock and press 1 Seed of Corruption, Hellfire, or Rain of Fire depending on spec, likewise with Mage. I get to my Shaman and I either have no AoE, or I have to rotate the cooldowns of a half-dozen spells. It feels as messy as it sounds.

■What’s on your wish list for your class?

Some design fixes might be nice. Having Ele AoE condensed, and Enhance AoE exist, making my Resto's Chain Heal a little more desirable to cast. For more of an actual wishlist:

Two-Handed Enhance - Many Enhance talents could be condensed. Rockbiter Weapon (and its Unleash effect) could be redesigned to support it. And a 3-point talent like Single-Minded Fury or Might of the Frozen Wastes could be added to support it. We can equip 2-handed Axes and Maces, along with Agility Staves, but there's no spec of ours that ever wants these items.

■What spells do you use the least?

Looking at all 3 specs, and PvE & PvP both, and every ability Shaman have, Magma Totem comes to mind. Enhance's Lava Lash benefits too much from Searing Totem to not use it, and Elemental/Resto stay at range too much to be bothered to run over and drop Magma Totem.

Rockbiter Weapon is probably the major one though, and I feel converting it to support a new style of 2-hand Enhance would be a great way to open up design and fix a spell's feeling of worthlessness.

Spiritwalker's Grace is also something that just doesn't feel like a major ability. It has a very minor niche use with an extremely long cooldown. If you manage spells and timing well, it's something you'll basically never use. If you need to rely on it as a response to something specific, you probably need it much more often than 15sec every 2min. I don't even remember the spell exists or use it in macros, because it's more trouble trying to find a reason TO use it, than it is to discipline myself to control my movement.
Edited by Carrera on 9/12/2011 10:30 AM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
Mainly PVE

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Mostly raids. I do run heroic dungeons to fill in Valor Points when needed.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
BGs only

The single largest quality of life improvement to our class was the implementation of the totem bar and being able to cast all totems with one GCD. Thank you for that! Other great quality of life improvements were instant-cast ghost wolf and Elemental's Unleashed Lightning glyph. Both were huge mobility improvements.

I think the largest nuisance that we still have in the quality of life category would be management of our fire totems. I know there has been a lot of effort to improve their intelligence, but I don't think we're quite there yet. I still find myself having to organize my beginning rotations around getting flame shock up before I cast my totems just to make my fire totem attack. It would be a very nice thing to not have to think about on each pull. If I lay a fire totem, I'd like it to attack the last target I casted an offensive spell against. I know that's easier said than done.

I originally created a shaman because I loved the idea of dpsing with a combination of melee and spell attacks. I was enhancement spec'd for years. I'm not anymore, but I won't go into that here. I like the lore behind shamans and being a element wielding battle-mage. I also enjoy being able to help heal my group when needed. I realize that my damage will drastically suffer when I start healing, but sometimes it's needed and I can be there to help.

On the more technical side, I enjoy more complex, fast paced dps rotations. I really enjoyed the challenge of enhancement's rotations in Wrath of the Lich King. There was a definite separation of the skilled enhancement shaman and the less skilled.

I think elemental spec has made great strides in becoming more fun to play. They've gained a ton of mobility and their spell rotations have gotten much more interesting.

Enhancement on the other hand has lost a lot in my opinion. The rotation is still somewhat complex, but very slow paced in my opinion. Also, since this question is regarding how fun the class is, a large portion of the fun of progressing is getting more powerful. The excitement of getting new gear for me is in making my character stronger. Enhancement just doesn't feel stronger with upgrades. I upgraded almost my entire enhancement gear set in Firelands but didn't see a lot of improvement in my damage. I tried elemental spec in much lesser gear and immediately did considerably more damage. In elemental, I feel a difference as I upgrade my gear. I love enhancement and I've played it for years, but I just can't play it anymore until it improves. Thankfully elemental spec is doing well and I have it to turn to.

I definitely like how rotations have been more randomized and changed into priority queues. I think that's a great change across the board.

For Enhancement, I like the number of abilites. It would be nice to have one more component of the rotation randomized. Maelstrom Weapon is a good example of randomizing. Doing something to that effect with searing totem and Lava Lash would be nice. An initial thought would be to remove the CD from Lava Lash, but make it hit very weak. Then make the Searing stacks increase it by 100% per stack. To randomize it, you could make the searing totem apply a random number of searing stacks per shot (0, 1, 2, or 3) or you could simply make the Searing totem's speed stack with haste. Just some thoughts.

For Elemental, the rotation is much improved lately. I do think it's a little silly that we don't use Unleashed Elements. I see a large DPS increase when I just take it off my bar entirely. My suggestion would be to add to an existing talent in the Elemental tree to take UE off the GCD and make it not cause a GCD. You'd probably have to make a minor nerf somewhere else to compensate for the damage increase.

I think it would make sense to add a Water Elemental totem. We have a dps elemental and a tanking elemental. Why not have a healing elemental?

I would like to see Enhancement's wolves improved. They feel extremely weak in Cataclysm.

I also would like to see Earthquake's damage improved.

AOE damage spells. To be honest, I find that I can usually do just as well single targeting and casting Chain Lightning once in a while as if I cast Earthquake, Flame Shocks, and Fire Novas. Our AOE spells are just too tedious to use for such small damage amounts. I still try to use them sometimes and hope I'll see big damage, but I never do :(
I primarily focus on PVE Max Level Raiding as Enhancement.

Endgame Raid PVE Content, with Heroic Dungeons leading up to progression.

Sparse BG/RatedBG time, with no real incredible issues.

Cooldowns and Execute range mechanics. Every other class in the game has an execute range mechanic, maybe not ever spec, but Shamans have nothing that benefits or changes in regards to our targets current HP percentage. There is no change in our play styles from 100% to 0% outside of 1 cooldown for Elemental and 1 for Enh, being Elemental Mastery and Wolves respectively.
I do not include Fire Elemental totem here because the current set bonus makes it a moot issue, as it is always active. (However, Elemental shamans reliance on this totem is mandatory to be competitive.)

I enjoy the challenge to stay competitive and all the resources I bring to every raid encounter, and/or how easy it is to provide different benefits for different group makeups. However, due to the spreading of certain buffs to many other classes, there is no distinct reason to bring a shaman over any other class anymore. Totems being such specific utility and very iconic for the class, if they really had an actual benefit again, that would be great.

This harkens back to a previous question and ties into the next one.

Enhancement is my main spec and I have been playing it since it's release to Alliance players back in The Burning Crusade. It has come under much change over the years, however, it's recent incarnation has scaling issues and an incredibly more dense button rotation than almost all other classes. Not to bring up trying to stay competitive, however, comparing a 7-9 buttons, weaved continuously throughout encounters, with no change or variation other than a priority list, is not very compelling.
Also, Lava Burst has once again become another button EnhShamans use in their rotations. (((Suggestion: Can Lava Burst become an execute mechanic? Where when charges of Maelstrom are build up while hitting a boss at a certain %, those also reduce the cast time of Lava Burst, in addition to all previous.)))

Execute mechanic for the classes dps specs.
Changes to the dps rotation for Enhancement.
Iconic reason for totems.
Proper Attack Damage vs Spell Damage scaling so that we stay a true melee/spell hybrid.
(Spell damage weapons still eventually edging out melee weapons in favor of using more spells and less melee.)

As Enh: Chain Lightning.
85 Troll Shaman
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]PvE

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]Heroics and Pug raids

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]BGs and World PvP when i can find it

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
Nothing worse than going into an instance and having several of your totem slots covered by other classes to the point where your only dropping 1 or 2 totems. Most of the useful totems are listed in the Air department which aren't covered by other classes which means we can only drop one (which is almost always healing stream or mana tide)
I would suggest allowing shamans to pick any 4 totems to drop and remove the elemental category slots.

# What makes playing your class more fun? I love all the different healing spells we get to use based on what class we're healing, how much life they need, if they are grouped up etc etc

# What makes playing your class less fun? Biggest issue with our mastery is when other healers are around. Our mastery is completely dependent on what other classes are in the raid and how competent they are. Also our AoE healing is completely dependent on niches in raids where everyone can group up due to poor range on all our AoE heals. That and totems having such a limited range in comparision to other auras.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
I'm a healer I don't have a rotation

# What’s on your wish list for your class? Improve on the idea of Totems. I love that we are the only class that has such a unique thing in our class but I hate that most of the uniqueness has been given to other classes (and usually a better version easier to apply or normally applied through their rotation)

# What spells do you use the least? Healing surge I actually completely took it off my bar. I know it was a pvp nerf but honestly that much mana for so little healing makes it worthless. Also most of my totems I don't cast these days which makes me rather sad =(
85 Dwarf Shaman
- PVE.

- Raids.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.
- Useless elemental 31 point and no instant bursting AoE.

- Best assist class in the game, best interrupter, best buffer, unique kind of gaming style.

- Too much easy rotation and useless spells.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)
- Too much easy, i'd like use UE or a second nuke spell in my rotation.

- An instant burst AoE Spell;
- A new elemental 31 point;
- A defensive cd;
- Permanent Fire Elemental;

- UE: Using only when moving (if my LB isnt glyph'd);
- Earthquake: Using only to help the tank and/or raid (Knock Down);
- SWG.
Please copy the below questions into your reply and answer each one.

* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PVE

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heal/dps 5-man dungeons, heroics, etc.

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

Random BGs

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The encounter designers and class designers seem to be in a continual war, and I'm tired of being caught in the middle. Encounter designers: "Let's make the raid spread beyond Shaman heal/totem range." Class designers: "Let's increase the range of heals/totems." Encounter designers: "Dang. Let's make people spread out EVEN MORE! HA!"

It is frustrating to be the class most impacted by the continuing push to spread farther and farther out.

* What makes playing your class more fun?

The ability to use utility functions at the right time. Earthbind. Interrupt. Grounding totem. Bloodlust.

* What makes playing your class less fun?

Healing is pathetically useless if I'm dps spec. Seriously, when Elemental, my shaman uses more bandages than my Warrior does. Something's wrong with that, it has taken away a part of the class that used to be fun.

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Heal rotation is fine. I'm sad at how nerfed Chain Heal has been, but I can heal dungeons with Riptide, Healing Wave, and Healing Rain.

Elemental DPS rotation is fine.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?

More situational, active totems. Grounding totem, Earthbind totem, Spirit Link totem are all fun. It'd be nice to have more totems like these, totems that *DO* stuff instead of just silently buffing.

* What spells do you use the least?

Primal Strike. Healing Surge.
91 Draenei Shaman
PvE

Raids

- Note that most of the below pertains to the enhancement spec.
- extremely awkward AE mechanics for enhancement
- ramp-up on searing totem
- totem ranges (particularly on ragnaros encounter)

- free short cooldown wind shear

- see quality of life issues above
- totems in general are terrible, but you know that

- Priority is fine, however our only "resource", maelstrom weapon, is simply not very important as of 4.x due to the lower relative damage of lightning bolt. As such, enhance has degraded to a cooldown-constrained "first-come first-served" spec much like ret paladins in 3.x.

- See quality of life issues above-- all of those should be addressed in some manner.
- Weapon damage based AE for enhancement
- Spell-hit requirement removed. Enhance is the only spec that has to reach soft caps on melee hit, spell hit, and expertise.
- All enhance abilities should scale with melee stats, not spell power

- As enhance, I don't even try to AE. I just use chain lightning in place of lightning bolt and give up on fire nova entirely. Enhance AE is just plain broken.
85 Orc Shaman
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] This shaman's become more of a PvP toon than anything lately.

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] When I PvE on this guy, it's raiding.

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] Arenas and RBGs, nothing at a serious level atm.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. Totems. Damn totems. Whether it's getting my SLT stomped in one shot (no, stoneclaw bubble is NOT enough), or my tide stomped in two, totems are, in their current state, an awful class mechanic. I'd be over the fact that I have only one cooldown if it couldn't be stomped out in one fel flame (shock, auto shot, melee, ice lance, need I go on?). The only totems that are really worth the while in PvP are grounding, stoneclaw (which puts an absorb bubble ON YOU that stays after the totem inevitably gets swapped for earthbind) and tremor (which functions now like berserker rage with twice the cooldown). What's the sense in trying to keep down stoneskin for defenses or SoE for my melee if I'm going to have to change earth totem a hundred dozen times in a game? What's the point in redropping windfury or WoA when they're just gonna be destroyed <22 seconds later by grounding or SLT? Also, the shared shock cooldown. All three of the shock spells suck almost always, can't they be unbound?

What makes playing your class more fun? Massive heals. Big crits. Orc casting animations + elemental overload. Thunderstorm.

What makes playing your class less fun? Water-in-a-sieve mana pools as resto. Being unable to use Chain Heal in 10 mans, except when it's such a mind-numbing amount of raid damage that people are actually stacking. For that matter, only being good on fights with a mind-numbing amount of raid damage and the ability to stack up.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) As ele? It's simple and boring yet STILL clunky because of the shared shock cooldown.

What’s on your wish list for your class? I want to be able to use single-target heals on people when I'm doing a 10-man raid without running horribly oom horribly fast. Alternately, I would want to see resto shaman actually able to USE chain heal and Healing Rain on the fights that don't involve stacking up for an onslaught of damage (which holy radiance wins at anyway. I rerolled holy paladin for a reason).

What spells do you use the least? Chain Heal, Healing Surge, Flametongue Totem (though, only because of mage/ele shaman/demo locks)
90 Orc Shaman

PVE

Mostly raids...I outgear heroics enough that I only occasionally do them for extra valor points now.

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

The mechanics of water shield. Especially during heavy AOE damage phases, it burns through its charges after about 8 seconds and has to be constantly refreshed. Due to the mechanics of Resurgence, if water shield drops it is a HUGE mana loss for us. I would LOVE to have either a glyph that keeps it from dropping below 3 charges (like elemental's lightning shield glyph), or an increase to 9 charges, so at least it won't have to be refreshed so often. Totems also suffer from issues with mobility (explained in wish list).

I love the shaman healing style overall, a lot of our abilities synergize well with each other.

Mainly quality of life issues, like having to constantly move totems (call of elements and totemic recall make this much easier than it was in the past but it is still an issue). Mobility is a bit of an issue due to this. Managing water shield charges (see above) is an issue also.

I'm fine with the healing rotation. I also offspec elemental. I don't usually raid with it (just use it for questing and dailies). It seems ok to me as well, but the totem mobility issues affect it somewhat.

Either a glyph for water shield that doesn't let it drop below 3 charges, or increasing the cast to 9 charges. More mobility for totems. I've thought about mobile totems (ie, making them follow us), and while I think it at least deserves some consideration I recognize that there may be technical issues with that. Maybe a button that will "summon" our 4 totems to our current location instead, rather than having to dismiss and re-cast them (this would save on mana). Combine the 2 lightning shield glyphs (cast while moving, 4% increased damage) into one. I would also like to see Unleash Elements taken off of the GCD for all specs, and also a separate cooldown for each shock, rather than linking them together.

Healing surge. After the nerf it is virtually useless. With tidal waves, greater healing wave has about the same cast time and heals for FAR more. Healing surge barely heals for more than a regular healing wave crit, and costs FAR more mana (the 4pc T11 bonus increases the crit change for healing wave). I would also love to have some kind of visual notification beyond something in the scrolling combat text when Lava Surge procs (this would be for elemental).
Edited by Mogrigg on 9/12/2011 10:36 AM PDT
* What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]
PvE

* If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]
Raids and Heroics

* If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

n/a

* What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

Totem range and duration could be increased, but that is a minor point.

* What makes playing your class more fun?

I love Elemental's priority system. I love our mastery and I LOVE the Unleashed Lightning glyph. Thank you soooo much!

* What makes playing your class less fun?

Have a lot of our DPS tied up in our Fire Elemental. The 2 piece tier 12 helped a ton and I thank you for that, however, it's not fun to have a lot of our DPS attached to a pet we can't control. By the same token, Searing Totem is not a fun mechanic.

The shock cooldown system might be a bit outdated as well.

* How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

I find it a lot of fun. Exception being our AoE rotation.

* What’s on your wish list for your class?
I would love to see Earthquake made baseline for the benefit of Enhancement. I would love to see our AoE rotation simplified or at least make it have less of a ramp up time.

My pie in the sky desire would be Fire Elemental being made a permanent pet as a 31 point talent. And my super duper pie in the sky idea would be a 31 point talent that would allow us to control all of our elementals (adding an Air Elemental and an Ice Elemental into the mix). This would mirror Warlocks somewhat, but I don't think it would homogenize the two classes that much as it is only one spec of one class and the Elemental pets do not have to have as much function as Warlock or Hunter pets.

* What spells do you use the least?

I don't use Unleash Elements a lot anymore, but I did use it quite a bit before Glyph of Unleashed Lightning.

Thanks for asking for our feedback!
85 Orc Shaman
My main concern with shamans is their uniqueness within each spec, especially concerning the Enhancement spec.

What i mean is I think that the enhance and elemental specs are intertwined with its resto counterpart too closely.

In arenas and RBGs there's really no reason to bring enhance, over a DK, Ret, or feral, because you can fill the spot with a healing resto shaman (which brings very similar utility) and refill the DPS spot the enhance would take up with a DK or something with higher burst (this happens especially in RBGs.)

There should be more focus into making the elemental and enhance counterparts more unique from its healing counterpart.

Ideas -
take the cooldown off of hex for enhance
allow for earthen power to give the enhance freedom from snares for 3 seconds on the first pulse
remove the 15 yard restriction for the range freeze (we have difficulty peeling for our partners or protecting them in anyway)
make it baseline for lightning shield to never run out of charges

these are some of my main concerns as well.

09/12/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Nethaera

I do alot of PvP and I absolutely love the play-style of enhancement. I do alot of RBGs and arenas and have been playing since vanilla.

I'm forced to play resto because the utility that resto bring is so similar to enhancement.

I would love to see enhancement desired in Arena or RBG settings, but as it is now, it just seems silly to bring a mediocre burst spec with utility that can be brought by its healing counterpart.

So, the main things on my wish list would be just the same as what xaven said earlier,
allow for earthen power to give the enhance immunity from snares for 3 seconds on the first pulse

remove the 15 yard restriction for the range freeze (we have difficulty peeling for our partners or protecting them in anyway)

make it baseline for lightning shield to never run out of charges

making wolves full time like the frost mage water elemental

removing spirit walk from the wolves and giving it to Enhance shamans as a unique spell

Bring back double purge for enhancement

give enhancement an execute type ability because enhancement has difficult getting killing blows.

allow maelstrom procs to proc off of absorbs like the disc priest shield.
Edited by Moltke on 9/16/2011 10:26 AM PDT
85 Troll Shaman
PvE

Raids, specifically Heroic Raids

I play Elemental and Resto, so I'll split those up.

Resto (my main): There's an odd disparity between Tidal Waves and Riptide's cooldown. Specifically, there's a 1-1.5 second gap in which the TW charges are used up, but Riptide is still on cooldown, forcing us to use a Chain Heal to get it back up, or a super slow Healing Wave or Greater Healing Wave. It's a little irritating for single-target healing.

Elemental: AoE on more than 5 targets at a time (i.e. more than what Chain Lightning can hit, even glyphed) is somewhat broken. If the targets aren't alive for more than 15 seconds (which they almost never are), Flame Shock can't be put up enough to make Fire Nova damage competitive. If we try to Earthquake, the cast time making it so that only stationary add packs can be hit by it, which, again, is quite rare.

I love the Shaman class because of the elemental vibe. There's just something more fun about feeling like I'm throwing holy water or something on people to heal them, or shooting lightning bolts like a machine gun (or, like the lightning guns in certain FPSs). Also, Resto's Mastery is a very cool idea for saving people that are dying, but I forget that that's what it's doing. I'd like that component to be more visible, but I imagine that would be quite the load on the servers to have it attached to every single heal.

The aforementioned Elemental AoE problems, and some quirks with Resto. Not having a single "do more healing for 15/20 seconds!" cooldown for Resto makes me feel a little useless during periods of high damage that I know are coming, but I have no way to "turn on the turbo" and end up just doing the same thing as before. Healing Stream Totem has a couple issues in that it's still group based (one of the only things in the game that is), and due to the relatively short range on it, I have to move it around all the time because it's nearly 10% of my total healing most of the time.

I mentioned the Riptide/TW gap earlier for Resto, but other than that it's pretty fun and engaging. Maybe a procc of some kind to spice it up would be nice, along with the aforementioned "turbo" button cooldown. Elemental is very fun due to being easy to learn, but hard to master. The only issue I have with Ele is that, as I get more Haste and Mastery, Lightning Shield charges up more quickly, but the cooldown on Shocks remains the same. This leads to some unfortunate scenarios during Bloodlust or Elemental Mastery (the cooldown) in which it gets stacked up to 9 in as little as 6 or 7 seconds, but if Flame Shock has to be reapplied, I have to go another 5 seconds sitting on those charges. I just feels like I'm wasting something.

A +haste/+healing/+mastery/other cooldown for Resto for periods of high damage.
Earthquake being worth casting.
Resto not being TOO dependent on positioning for healing (Chain Heal, Healing Rain, and Spirit Link Totem are all utterly useless when people have to spread out, which forces us into using those single target spells and that quirky Riptide cooldown disparity).
Permenant Fire Elemental (quite like the way the set bonus functions now, only with a slightly higher procc rate so the Ele doesn't run out before it gets refreshed on an unlucky streak)!

Earthquake. Most totems (aside from if the raid reaaaaally needs a buff or Resto's totem cooldowns, I only ever use Healing Stream and Searing/Fire Ele totems).
Edit: I forgot Unleash Elements. I use it so rarely that I forgot it was there.

Side note: I use and love Far Sight. Don't take away my Warcraft 3 hax skill >:(

I appreciate you guys taking the time to collect this feedback, I hope you can put it to good use.
Edited by Totaltotemic on 9/12/2011 10:28 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
# What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both]

PvE

# If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other]

Heroics & Raids

# If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs]

N/A

# What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters.

My biggest issue is water shield. On any AoE pulse fight (e.g. Beth'tilac) I almost spend more time refreshing water shield than actually healing. Since water shield is so key in our mana regeneration I can't afford to not have it on, and I really don't think a key feature of the class should be choosing between having mana to heal the raid, or spending the GCD actually saving a life.

# What makes playing your class more fun?

Going enhancement, to be frank. Healing in this expac feels like such a chore. I can't pull off the big saves like I used to which made healing in LK so much fun. I played a priest in BC - an IDS priest at that, so aside from the fact that I have no huge tank saving CD and have to play the mana management mini-game I'm not sure what changed.

# What makes playing your class less fun?

Water Shield and being a turret. I don't like that my only casting while moving spells occur once every 2 minutes or riptide. I also play a resto druid and to be honest, all the fights are simply easier on her. Quicker casts, instant casts, the ability to do the hokey pokey in the raids and still be effective.

# How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.)

Heals. Don't have a rotation. If you do, you aren't effective. You can't respond to damage or put up preventative stuff for known incoming damage if you are spamming a set rotation - doesn't work.

# What’s on your wish list for your class?

Another instant cast spell, reduced cast time on Healing Wave because let's face it, it doesn't do that much healing. It's a drop in the bucket compared to boss damage in raids. A glyph like the elemental Prime glyph that allows Water Shield to not drop below X charge. For enhancement and elemental: Less ramp up time for AoE. I hate small trash pulls because you end up flame shocking something and of course that ends up the first to die before you get the GCD for fire nova and there's the long cast time for Chain Lightning and Earthquake in ele and waiting for malestrom proc Chain Lightning for enhancement. Meanwhile the mage, the rogue, the warrior, the shadow priest, the oomkin, etc have already hit their aoe button and killed off most of the trash packs. :/

# What spells do you use the least?

Healing Surge, Resto Unleashed Elements
100 Tauren Shaman
What type of content do you focus on? [PvE/PvP/Both] Both

If PvE, what type of PvE? [Heroics/Raids/Other] Heroics and raids

If PvP, what type of PvP? [Arenas, BGs, Rated BGs] all

What are your biggest quality-of-life issues? For instance, no longer requiring ammo could be considered a quality-of-life improvement for hunters. in Enhancement The fact that we need to get 17% spell hit from raw stats.

What makes playing your class more fun? use to be the sheer versatility and utility the class brought to raids or pvp also Windfury.

What makes playing your class less fun? under quality of life i noted the spell hit thing for enhancement it makes me cry having to devote all my reforging gemming etc to hit or expertise before i can even start gearing is a nightmare. some of those should be baked into talents somehow.

How do you feel about your “rotation”? (Rotation is the accepted order in which abilities are used to maximum efficiency.) My complaints about the rotation is the 3-5 second deadspot unless you get a proc you are just sitting there and either waiting or refreshing things that dont need refreshed at the given time.

What’s on your wish list for your class? 2h pvp its a dream you cant stop it.

What spells do you use the least? id say probably any thing that gives a buff that half the raid can provide. Its harsh trying to justify a spec or class when we cant bring anything specific to the raid.
85 Draenei Shaman
Just one idea. Make Water Shield permanent or change it's mechanics so it doesn't have to be refreshed every 20 secs. I'd even settle for a glyph.
90 Draenei Shaman

PVE

Raids

N/A

There are several inconveniences in dealing with totems. As others have said, they are clunky, can be annoying to manage in certain situations, range is often frustrating. However, the most frustrating thing is definitely the targeting of Fire Elemental and Searing totem.

I know the standard response from blizzard lately on this issue has been "We can't code to read player's minds". However, nobody (that is reasonable) is asking for a perfect AI. I think most of the raiding and probably PvP shaman would agree that we'd gladly accept an off the GCD ability that forces our elemental or searing totem to attack a specific target.

The system, as it is, is serviceable, but it can be very annoying considering the fire totem is a significant portion of DPS for both the Elemental and Enhancement specs.

Just a few examples:
*Searing and Fire elemental will both often attack the water totems on Halazzi in Zul'Aman. Not because you attack the totems (I never do), but because the totem's are hostile and they put a buff on your player. My guess is the game sees gaining an effect from a hostile totem as threatening so your totems react by attacking the water totem. That or fire and water totem are just natural enemies.

*Any time you're trying to attack a specific target but that target goes immune or un-attackable for a short period of time. Example, you can drop your fire totem so it will beat on Magmaw, but when the head comes down and the body becomes not able to be targeted your fire elemental will go beat on adds and there is no way to put it on the head. If you drop it for the head phase, then it will not go to the body when the head phase ends. There are other bosses like this.

This will seem like the oddest answer, but totems are one of the things that make it more fun. Totems are a good idea, gives us a lot of abilities and short cooldowns, and are just unique. It is just the mechanics and bugs that make it very frustrating at times.

Being subpar on any fight where AoE is required. Shaman AoE is great for trash where mobs generally take time to die. But any boss fight that requires AoE damage requires the mobs being AoE'd to in a quick manner. There is no time to ramp up flame shocks and EQ+CL does not come close to other classes.

Elemental "rotation" is pretty good. It doesn't require much effort to do it well, but it takes a little bit more effort to master. Mastering elemental requires timing with fulmination/ES, refreshing FS in the right window, hitting LvB as soon as lava flows procs, keeping your fire totem (in this tier always your elemental) down and on the right target, with as many spell power procs as possible.

I think if anything is changed with the rotation maybe add another spell to be used and perhaps another cooldown to manage. Buffing Unleashed Elements so that it is part of a standing rotation rather than just a "use this while you move for less dps loss" ability might make Elemental a tad more interesting.

Fixed fire totems as described.

Fixed AoE damage. Ramp up times for both DPS specs make Shaman less than ideal for any raid boss that requires AoE.

Earthquake, Unleash Weapon, Rockbiter weapon
Edited by Zullu on 9/12/2011 10:30 AM PDT
87 Draenei Shaman
PvE.

If PvE, what type of PvE?
Raids. Sometimes heroics for valor.

If PvP, what type of PvP?
The rare BG.

Alot of GCDs wasted on replenishing my water shield. But thats just a gripe. Its fine. I can deal.

Chain heal chain heal chain heal... Okay, more like Greater Healing Wave Greater Healing Wave Healing Wave Healing Surge Spirit link CHAINCHAINCHAIN.
In a serious note, its the adaptability in the healing. The ability to switch so effectively from single target to AoE. I just don't feel that in other classes as much.

Totems. How they're managed has not really changed. You plop them down, they do crap, then when they die you have to waste your precious GCD and healing mana on picking them up again. There is no real control or feeling of satisfaction out of them. Just... plop.

Don't really have much of one. My healing changes based on who is dying.

Better totem functionality, more fancy dresses, and to have Sentry totem back.

As Resto? Anything that does not make the HP bars go up. I know we're supposed to be able to lightning bolt for mana, but if I waste my GCDs on something like that during a firelands boss, someone is dead.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]