A place for steampunk in wow rp?

54 Blood Elf Mage
Hello all, I was hoping to get some dialogue going on how all things steampunk could be used within WoW. I am a huge fan of the steampunk lifestyle and I also love to role play, but I wanted to see if there would be any way that I could incorporate the two -together- in WoW.

I do have a character that is an engineer (yes, I am this devoted.) And I have always found engineering to be the closest thing to being obviously steampunk in the game but I wanted to see about using certain words/actions/other things I could find to bring my love of it even further to the forefront of my role playing experience. I'm just unsure if it would be well received or even understood at all by the general populace, or if this is something I should even truly pursue.

Perhaps I'm silly, or just really, really in love with steampunk but I thought it might be fun to see if there were any other fans or anyone that might have had the same ideas as I have. Please do not hesitate to contact me in game if you role play in this style because I would love to chat with you!
Reply Quote
35 Blood Elf Paladin
I too love steampunk. This character isn't an engineer, mainly because the guild needed a blacksmith and i thought it was appropriate.

I'm actually interested in how it could be integrated as well, as outside of gnomeregan i haven't seen much tech emphasis, other than guns of course.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Roll a Gnome, or a creatively-played Human. After a long day of working on her sputtering coal-fed Helicoptor, my Night Elf likes to wipe the dust and oil off, put on her best dancin' goggles and head to the bar reeking of gunpowder.

Play Alliance.

Seriously, there are so many Steampunk areas and Themes in Alliance cities, it's glorious. Go to the Dwarven District of Stormwind, ride the Deeprun Tram to Ironforge. Ironforge. Our Airships are actual steam-powered ships flying, as opposed to those half-hearted zeps the average Goblin ponce can make.

I don't know if there is a Steampunk guild, but there should be.
Reply Quote
54 Blood Elf Mage
Orican, you are giving me ideas... Glorious ideas that my ADD-addled brain is going to pick up and run with and might not be able to stop thinking about to long enough to allow me to put quill to paper and iron out the ideas.

I... I think I love you for giving me this new idea to pursue. I just might go about making said guild. I do have a little human character and I know my boyfriend would just about die at the thought of doing anything steampunk in wow. It's about like telling him he can have steak and then he gets to DM some DnD campaign while having brownies and getting a million dollars.

Anyway... this is a perfect idea. I think I'll get to thinking about a steampunk guild. Thanks, Orican! <3
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Thanks, Orican! <3

/bow

Just doin' mah part! I'll be looking forward to seeing some SCIENCE happen.

If you decide to go with an Ironforge-based Gnome/Dwarf-dominated thingamajig, might I recomend the Ironforge Airfield as an RP hub? The Rotocoptor is an easy enough thing to buy/make that you could have RP events like airshows and working on the machines, debating the merits of Gnomish vs Goblin engineering, and so on.. A few of you might even have the Rocket mount, and that's always awesome to RP with.

Become familiar with Phlogiston.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Phlogiston
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
09/14/2011 08:51 AMPosted by Emmberr

Oh hey, whats going on in this thread?

If you want to be steampunk, you roll a goblin, or an undead. The concept of engineering to Blood Elves isn't something very mainstream. If they need something, they can just get a wizard to do it.

I don't consider Undead to be Steampunk in the slightest. I'll grant you they've got the FOR SCIENCE thing going on, and that's jawsome, but their brand of SCIENCE is more Frankenstien than anything.

Goblin? Meh. I'm not going to argue that they've got Steampunk Elements, but comparing Gadgetzan to Tinkertown or K-3 to some of the random giant gears Gnomes throw on things for the hell of it, if pure and widespread Steampunk is the aim I think Alliance is better suited.

Hell, the entrance to the valley that houses Gnomregan looks like it could easily be used as the archway at a Steampunk Amusement Park.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Goblins are very steampunk. Engineers of any race are. :) Org has its elements here and there.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Gnomes and goblins can both fit the bill, though I think goblins are better suited for dieselpunk.

Ironforge Dwarfs are great for this purpose. Hard to argue with a steam-powered tank.

Gileans/Worgen are actually a SPECTACULAR choice, as much of the entire creative motif of the Gileans is Victorian-era. Steampunk borrows very heavily from the Victorian motif.

As someone else said, Forsaken are a bit more Frankenstein-ish in their new style, but it's hard to say that their tesla-coil-studded machinery doesn't fit.

Draenei have crystals to power their stuff. But I have seen people 'invent' ray guns with crystals inside. I'm on the fence here.

Orcs, trolls and Tauren are too tribal for this particular style, I'm afraid. Though, isn't there a type of engineering-based motif centered around wooden and stone constructs? I'm not sure.

Elves of either kind are iffy. I had a blood-elf paladin who grew up too poor to afford a proper magical education, so he used tech to fill in the gaps. Night elves? You'll need a good explanation for that.

It's entirely up to how well you can explain things. I am now tempted to make a 'mage' that uses specially engineered augmentations to generate the arcane forces he/she uses.
Edited by Judeli on 9/14/2011 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
54 Blood Elf Mage
My only drawback is that most of my characters are in fact, horde. I am not a very big fan of goblins and I abhor their starting area because it seems to drag on and on and it drives me quite batty trying to finish it all after having done so once. They just do not appeal to me.

I like the alliance, don't get my wrong. I have a human that I've made a 'Gilnean refugee' that was lucky enough to get out without being cursed, but I absolutely wouldn't mind changing her to a worgen if it makes things fit better, which eh, not so much really since she's still Gilnean no matter what. She's also a hunter so that whole thing just goes all the more toward being steampunk if I make her an engineer and have her putting scopes and all sorts of addons onto the gun.

Either way, I'm trying to think up believable back stories and even story lines for any character I decide to make to go with this idea. I want everything to have a place in lore and try not to make something so sue-ish that it's absolutely too super snowflake and will be laughed at and shunned. I like being as realistic as i can in my ideas and fit within the lore (for steampunk and wow.)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
09/14/2011 08:51 AMPosted by Emmberr

Oh hey, whats going on in this thread?

If you want to be steampunk, you roll a goblin, or an undead. The concept of engineering to Blood Elves isn't something very mainstream. If they need something, they can just get a wizard to do it.

This has been exactly my problem. I rolled this girl before Cataclysm because I wanted a hordeside engineer of a steampunk nature. Maybe I'm just not creative enough but the role feels very forced, like she's a goblin in a blood elf's body. I've thought about race changing her but I get so attached to my character models. :/ Maybe I'll just roll a Dwarf, though the thought of leveling up Engineering again is rather daunting.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
09/14/2011 07:55 AMPosted by Orican
Play Alliance.

Stop tryin'a steel arr peoples!

EDIT:
This has been exactly my problem. I rolled this girl before Cataclysm because I wanted a hordeside engineer of a steampunk nature. Maybe I'm just not creative enough but the role feels very forced, like she's a goblin in a blood elf's body. I've thought about race changing her but I get so attached to my character models. :/ Maybe I'll just roll a Dwarf, though the thought of leveling up Engineering again is rather daunting.

I think blood elves can do it fine, honestly any race can, you just need the right angle.

As a suggestion to get you thinking here's how I'd do it on a BE if I were one:
Blood elves live a very decadent lifestyle that must require seeking out and gathering or trading for exotic goods. Combined with their interest in their own past you have a very niche within their society for a very curious person. This is half of what you need.

Now another element of sin'dorei culture is wanting to stand out and be noticed, for better or worse they're very vain. Together with what I mentioned above you have an environment that would absolutely love and go crazy over custom made, designer goods.

Ta-da, you now have an angle for a quirky inventor which - to me - is what steampunk is all about. Even this is a very broad approach and only one of many so there's plenty of room to adjust it to fit your character.
Edited by Shalune on 9/14/2011 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
09/14/2011 11:04 AMPosted by Shalune
Stop tryin'a steel arr peoples!

Yarr!
Reply Quote
Honestly, I'm going to have to agree that Alliance is far more suited over all.

Gnomes are the most obvious. Worgen fit the style. Humans can pretty much be any damn thing they want. Dwarves are known for guns and tanks. We have real airships.

Goblins are the only ones Hordeside I think you could really mold to fit. And even then, it's an 'almost' type thing. Forsaken are far more evil scientist. And Elves...eh. Even the Blood Elves rangers have yet to pick up a gun, and your robo guards are made of magic. Anything Blood Elves have needed that would come close to engineering has been done with magic.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
@Shalune, thank you for your input, I will carefully consider it when going over my character concept. You're the best. :)

@Evandalia

09/14/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Evandalia
Either way, I'm trying to think up believable back stories and even story lines for any character I decide to make to go with this idea. I want everything to have a place in lore and try not to make something so sue-ish that it's absolutely too super snowflake and will be laughed at and shunned. I like being as realistic as i can in my ideas and fit within the lore (for steampunk and wow.)

I feel the same way! Hit me up sometime and maybe we can brainstorm steampunky ideas together. :D
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
09/14/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Lilliat
Gnomes are the most obvious. Worgen fit the style.

^This^ Gnomes are an obvious choice but ya gotta love wolfmen in Goggles!

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello.

Not so much steampunk, but tech inclined elf here. I think honestly a Tauren could fall into being a tech head as well, and that if you work on a believable story and stick with it that no one can really fault you for thinking outside the box. After living with the technology for so long, and seeing what wondrous things it can do I think even the most wary races toward technology would begin to use it. Maybe a gradual transition.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
09/14/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Ashirana
DON'T WORRY WE GOT GARLANDS TO GO HORDE. :x

SHALUNE HAS AN ALT IN MY GUILD. >:D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]