Mage vs Hunter

(Locked)

85 Troll Mage
You guys are probably the class that makes me rage the most :( In particular, MM hunters.

I'm not here to cry, but to ask some of the better pvping MM hunters, what are some of the more challenging frost mages you've 1v1'd? Ones that beat you, what did they do right? Essentially, what do I have to do to put up a serious fight?
87 Troll Hunter
MHC
Snare us and then sit on our faces.

85 Worgen Hunter
you may be a ranged class, but in this case, get nice and close.
90 Pandaren Hunter
Pray hard U meet me in PVP. That way, u 100% confirm will win me.
100 Human Hunter
watch my buffs. when you see master's call STEAL IT ASAP. I cannot stress this enough, it's like the worst thing that can ever happen to me. In fact, if you can spare the mana, steal my other buffs off first before I use master's call so you'll have a better chance to get master's call. If i have it glyphed (which most hunters do) you'll now get around 7 seconds of snare and root immunity, plus taking it away from me.

Try to save blink for after my disengage, that way you can follow me and stay in my face.

You can also trinket the silence effect from silencing shot.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
1 vs 1, Frost mages are the easiest imo. They are so predictable.

Arcane mages arent that hard either, however when I get slow on me...HAVING to cast that 5-6 sec steady shot just to do anything...really sucks.

A good fire mage? They can surprise me, I really dont know what to expect, they have a lot of dazes and disorients. If it all came down to equal skill, a good fire mage gives me a run for my money.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Frost mages beat hunters 1v1, especially MM.

Considering that frost mages are the most OP class in WoW currently and one of blizz's favorite pets, i am not giving you a single piece of advice.

Go ask the dev's to buff you more so that every class in the game is a free kill. That's what most mages do.

P.s. If you cant figure out how to beat a class that does zero damage in melee with a class that has 4-5 snares every 30 secs, then you need to start playing 'Hello kitty, island adventure'
85 Blood Elf Hunter
09/17/2011 08:54 AMPosted by Paetheas

Judging by your pvp achievements, you've at least been around for a bit.
I'm not sure if you are saying you in particular have trouble with frost mages?
I find them rather easy, wait for deep freeze, trinket, most of them hardly over steal masters call, usually after a few seconds, its gg, they ice block take the time to bandage and continue the beating.
85 Worgen Hunter
Watch for our burst. When we trigger it, use deep freeze. You waste our burst and you've significantly increased your chance of survival.
90 Human Hunter
in mm i lose to frost mages sometimes, bm is the antimage. 3 root/snare breaks. best hope you have for bm is to get off a deep freeze (on the hunter)when we redpet you.
85 Orc Hunter
09/17/2011 08:54 AMPosted by Paetheas
P.s. If you cant figure out how to beat a class that does zero damage in melee with a class that has 4-5 snares every 30 secs, then you need to start playing 'Hello kitty, island adventure'

This^
85 Dwarf Hunter

Considering that frost mages are the most OP class in WoW currently and one of blizz's favorite pets, i am not giving you a single piece of advice.

Go ask the dev's to buff you more so that every class in the game is a free kill. That's what most mages do.

A good Hunter can beat a good Frost Mage, especially MM. If either of them can play their class well, they'll beat the other, guaranteed. If they are equally-skilled, a Hunter can beat a Mage.
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/17/2011 11:37 AMPosted by Detroitchamp
A good Hunter can beat a good Frost Mage, especially MM. If either of them can play their class well, they'll beat the other, guaranteed. If they are equally-skilled, a Hunter can beat a Mage.

This is no longer true and i wish ppl would stop saying it.

As soon as mage's could spellsteal master's call, hunters stopped countering them.

Equally geared and skilled a frost mage will beat a hunter 1v1. Hunters simply cannot stand toe to toe to a mage's arsenal of stuns, snare's, and CD's. Undispellable Master's call was the one thing that tipped the balance of power in the hunters favor b/c it gave us a large window of complete immunity to everything a frost mage had except a FoF deep freeze.

With the changes made to master's call, it's now not a benefit to use against a good frost mage, its a liability. A spellstolen master's call means that we cannot kite at all for its duration while being constantly locked in a nova. A hunter that cannot slow their opponent vs an class that can spend 100% of the fight in melee doing full damage = a dead hunter.

@Shad, no i personally dont have a problem with most frost mages but that's because the vast majority of pvp'ers are terrible. The instant you start fighting frost mages that have skill and knowledge of WoW pvp mechanics will be the moment you realize that a good frost mage will beat a good hunter almost every single time.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Frost mages beat hunters 1v1, especially MM.'

stopped reading your post after this...

only one mage has beaten me 1v1 since i have been at 85 and that was a 2200 geared fire mage that challenged me 2 a war-game.

mages are by far the easiest class to kill at lvl 85 for a hunter
90 Night Elf Hunter
If a good hunter has cd's (masters call, scatter, deterrence, feign death, readiness, roar of sac yes all of those)we will win against any mage. Otherwise we're screwed. To counter us sit on our face, spell steal masters call...might not be a bad idea to sheep pet (havent seen this yet) but it'll suck i think. The only reason hunters can fair well against mages is cuz mages dont have dots. If you were fire lol gg. Most mages typically are used to kiting to kill every other class but against hunters u have to do the opposite...where as hunters have to kite everything. And be thankful that mages can tank our dmg much better now than in wotlk.
90 Dwarf Hunter
If hunter is MM
1. Start fight in invs
2. Pet nova hunter and his pet into a deep freeze.
3. Run into hunter melee zone
4. Do damage etc, save blink for hunter disengage.
5. Make sure you spell steal hunter master's call asap.
6. If hunter gets range and you do not have blink etc, either IB and wait for cds, or go the opposite direction and get as much evo off as you can.

Just essentially keep him slowed/nova'd as much as possible spell stealing master's call asap and stay on top of em until he has no more cds and blow him up.
1 Gnome Rogue
watch my buffs. when you see master's call STEAL IT ASAP. I cannot stress this enough, it's like the worst thing that can ever happen to me. In fact, if you can spare the mana, steal my other buffs off first before I use master's call so you'll have a better chance to get master's call. If i have it glyphed (which most hunters do) you'll now get around 7 seconds of snare and root immunity, plus taking it away from me.

Try to save blink for after my disengage, that way you can follow me and stay in my face.

You can also trinket the silence effect from silencing shot.

also make sure you're in frost armor, nmot only does it lower the damage by 15%, the hunter will auto attack you and snare himself everytime you get into melee.

Frost nova and CoC root both give you enough time to cast a frost bolt or 2 to keep snare applied, give more damage, no fear of being interrupted and will also help proc instant frostfire bolts for a 70% snare (or dot which hunters are weak against as well). At the same time these roots help keep you in min range.

Save pet nova for the free FoF procs so you can deepfreeze on CD, he can only trinket one every 2 min, you can get off 4 in 2 min if you do it on CD.

Bad-ok frost mages will get eaten by a hunter. Good frost mages are one heck of a fight.

But really, the best advice I can give is, remember every single trick you have that is "get out of melee" can be reversed to be a gap closer instead. Change that approach to your abilities and you should get better and better at beating a hunter.

It still takes a really good frost mage to beat me but they have all the tools to shut me down if they know what they are doing. I'll give them a run for there money though.

I ran into a really good frost mage in a random bg the other day and the 2 of us ended up way off to the side and had a pretty epic 1vs1. It has probably been the longest most challenging 1vs1 I've had. Well, longest if you take away the "chasing a healer for 10 minutes" since that's not challenging, just a matter of waiting for them to OOM.

I did lose:( I went back for round 2 but the game ended. I normally don't fight off to the side, ignoring objectives. But that fight was well worth it.

09/17/2011 11:37 AMPosted by Detroitchamp
If they are equally-skilled, a Hunter can beat a Mage.

It really depends on what skill level you are both in. It can be a pretty close match. And at some point in skill level the frost mage is not guaranteed to lose. It's a roll of the dice at that point.
91 Human Hunter
At higher levels of skill, 1v1, frost mage wins.
Lower levels of play than that, most mages can't really figure it out.
The moment Master's Call became stealable, it tipped heavily in the mage's favor.

Sorry folks.
Everybody telling that hunter he's wrong, you're actually the ones who are mistaken. :(
100 Night Elf Hunter
Frost Mage vs hunter is a "who can survive and do their defensive cool downs LAST" contest.

Against a Beast Master such as myself the plan is:

Bestial Wrath - You Ice Block

Disengage - You blink at me

Feign Death - Mirror Immage

Other tactics include :

Sheep the pet to prevent Masters Call from being used. If its a bm hunter and he bestial wraths out of the poly see the above formula.

Also spell steal Masters Call as Qualk said above. If the hunter is bm he will most likely be rolling with an exotic pet and further on that a spirit beast. Spirit beast casts a heal called spirit mend. You can steal that too and get a free HoT.

A smart hunter will try to tranquilizing shot you often, as a mage is one of the best classes to use it on. This shot is focus draining so most mm and sv hunters wont spam. I will though because bm has an ability called Fervor which instantly gives me 50 focus back.

So a common situation is when the fight starts ( if 1 v 1 ), I Tranq shot until im either oof or my mod doesnt report a buff removed. Then I use fervor and begin the fight.

Keep both Ice Barrier AND mana shield up. If you try to treat a hunter like a melee class and pew pew root root, you will most likely lose, if hes skilled.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]