Transmogrification Rules

Community Manager
Since we announced the transmogrification feature coming to World of Warcraft with patch 4.3, we have monitored thousands of follow-up comments, questions and suggestions from players all over the world.

What follows is our current list of rules for transmogrification. This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification.

• The character must be able to equip both items.

• Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will be prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)

• Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)

• Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)

• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.

• Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

• Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

• One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-refundable.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-tradable.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be transmogrified.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be used to transmogrify.

• Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.

• Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.

• Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.

• Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.

• Vendoring an item strips its transmogrification.

• The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)
Edited by Kaivax on 9/19/2011 8:14 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Sweeeeet

I see a lot of dual weilders being upset about the mh/oh rule.

Bring back strength polearms please.
Edited by Jaturna on 9/19/2011 5:57 PM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
09/19/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Kaivax
• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)

Please allow The Emperor's New Cape to be used for transmog. I know it is invisible, but as a dual-spec person, it allows me to have one set of transmog with a cape and one without with the added benefit of not requiring me to change my game settings whenever i switch specs.

EDIT: One other question -- would it be possible to allow a main-hand or off-hand item to transmute to a one-handed weapon and it just change the weapon to be main- or off-hand only? Reason being is sets such as:
Dal'Rend's Tribal Guardian
Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge

There aren't any "main-" and "off-hand" available for DK dual wield anymore, so it would be nice if we could make one of our "one hand" items into "off hand" for transmog.
Edited by Goodarthas on 9/19/2011 6:00 PM PDT
85 Gnome Priest
cool
people are gonna be mad about the no transmog on legendary weapons! haha oh well!
1 Tauren Warrior
I've heard people claiming you can only do weapons to another weapon of the same stats type. Like only spellpower swords to spellpower swords and AGI swords to AGI swords. Is that a restriction or no?
Community Manager
09/19/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Goodarthas

Please allow The Emperor's New Cape to be used for transmog. I know it is invisible, but as a dual-spec person, it allows me to have one set of transmog with a cape and one without with the added benefit of not requiring me to change my game settings whenever i switch specs.

That will be a design decision, but I have to point out that one of the prime examples of an item that will not be allowed is one that it invisible. It is unlikely that some invisible items will be allowed, and others will not.

Thank you for the feedback and explanation though.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Good resource; thank you. Can you edit the original post, though, with a definition of terms? It is not immediately clear whether "can be transmogrified" means "can be the truly-worn item that acquires a new look" or "can be the item that donates its look to another".
Community Manager
09/19/2011 06:00 PMPosted by Lohida
I've heard people claiming you can only do weapons to another weapon of the same stats type. Like only spellpower swords to spellpower swords and AGI swords to AGI swords. Is that a restriction or no?

At this time, that is not a restriction at all.
I am so glad you can use one-handers to mog off hands and main hands. Thanks, Blizz!

Now, I just gotta find a group to get the star dagger from Ulduar...
90 Human Death Knight
That will be a design decision, but I have to point out that one of the prime examples of an item that will not be allowed is one that it invisible. It is unlikely that some invisible items will be allowed, and others will not.Thank you for the feedback and explanation though.

Thanks for the reply. I had one other question that has not been addressed that I could find:

Will "unique" items be restricted from applying to both hands?

For example: Doom's Edge

Will I be able to dual-wield those? Or perhaps one-handed items still flagged as unique could be revised to no longer be unique?
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Will the price of transmogrification scale per level? This might have been stated somewhere but I haven't seen it.

ex:
A level 40 pays 20g to mog an item
An 85 pays 120g
Edited by Mezinak on 9/19/2011 6:09 PM PDT
17 Gnome Mage
09/19/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Kaivax
There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)
So we get silly poop quests and pop culture references out the wazoo, but engaging in an epic battle with a Rockhide Strongfish equipped is too much to ask?
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
What about the possibility of at least adding swords and daggers to the same transmogrification category? I like playing a combat rogue but hate having to use a dagger in the offhand (as many rogues stated in the rogue feedback thread) and that would fix that issue.
85 Night Elf Druid
Blizz Why cant we transmogrify a legendary Because i recently got my Thunder Fury and i was looking forward to Transmogrifying it and i was wondering why we cant do them?
85 Human Death Knight
Awesome, thanks for getting these rules out!
Aw, Sandrene's vest is ineligible. That's too bad. I'd wanted to put it on this rogue's chest so she could show off her swashbuckler's shirt. I can see why it'd be off limits, though. I think it's fair. Can't have a bunch of rogues running around topless in Orgrimmar or Goldshire, now can we?
Edited by Solderberg on 9/19/2011 6:13 PM PDT
Community Manager
09/19/2011 06:09 PMPosted by Flute
There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)
So we get silly poop quests and pop culture references out the wazoo, but engaging in an epic battle with a Rockhide Strongfish equipped is too much to ask?

Exactly. The poop quests and pop culture references are not epic battles.
Community Manager
09/19/2011 06:11 PMPosted by Solderberg
Aw, Sandrene's vest is ineligible. That's too bad. I'd wanted to put it on this rogue's chest so she could show off her swashbuckler's shirt. I can see why it'd be off limits, though. I think it's fair. Can't have a bunch of rogues running around topless in Orgrimmar or Goldshire, now can we?

We already do!
That was the joke, Kaivax. ;)

That was the joke.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]