Transmogrification Rules

Community Manager
Order of things that ruin a lot of the fun of this feature:

1) Item type restriction for weapons. I'd love to be able to transmog a dagger to look like a fist weapon, or sword. In fact, that's the only thing that would make fist weapons (which I happen to love the look of) worth grabbing.
2) Legendary restriction. I don't have any, but it's something I'd like to pick up at some point. I'd hate to go through the work to get a legendary item and them retire it a tier later simply because the stats aren't as good anymore. I'll never bother grabbing glaives or any other legendary item from old content just to dance around Stormwind with it.

The first one is by far the one that makes the least amount of sense. I get not wanting Warriors to be able to dual wield staves, but not allowing any other class to change things up a little that otherwise have one and only one option in front of them most of the time? Meh.

Just my opinion here -

1. I wouldn't like there being no distinction anymore between weapon types. I rather like finding out the weapon type of some awesome new epic that just dropped. If I'm just going to transmogrify it to look like whatever weapon type I prefer, then the drop need not have a type in the first place. It could just be an epic stick of type "weapon".

2. It seems to me like the incredible effort that I've gone through to obtain a legendary years ago is diminished if I join a raid and find myself standing around with 24 others who obtained that same legendary a few days ago (and put in much less effort doing so). Nowadays, I'm proud to brandish my legendary anywhere that I find myself not fighting endgame enemies. I don't want to trade away how cool that is, and only get in return... a raid where everyone else appears to be wielding the same thing as me.
Edited by Kaivax on 9/19/2011 10:52 PM PDT
Community Manager
Thanks for the infodump, Kaivax. Lots of useful information to be had. Still, I have quite a few questions on my mind that have yet to be clarified:

1): If we use an item for transmogrification, will it become consumed through the act of transmogrifying it? For instance, if I transmogrify a Tier 2 Helm to a Tier 12 Helm, will I lose the Tier 2 Helm? Furthermore, 2): If we transmogrify an item, will we be able to apply that appearance to another item? For instance, if I apply the same Tier 2 Judgment Helm to a Tier 12 Helm, will I be able to transmogrify the appearance of the Tier 12 Helm (with a Tier 2 appearance) to a Tier 13 Helm, if I were to get it? And finally, 3): Will we be able to revert the transmogrified item back to its original appearance?

My reading and understanding of the rules is --

1. No.
2. Not an issue, due to the answer to #1.
3. Yes.
90 Gnome Priest
Can you use an item for more than one transmogrification at a time?

For example:
I am dual-wielding (insert swords). I have ONE Cruel Barb. Can I use that ONE Cruel Barb to change the look of BOTH of the swords I'm using? Or do I have to farm another Cruel Barb.
90 Night Elf Druid
Is there any chance of allowing some exceptions on the armor type for transmog such as for helmets. There's really cool helmets from Valentines as an example we'd like to use...
Community Manager
09/19/2011 10:04 PMPosted by Puppypaws
• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my plans for Sandrene's Invisible Vest with a White Swashbuckler's Shirt so i can look like a pirate all the time!

Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time.
1 Human Paladin
The only problem with having rules for weapon types is that the choices are not extremely limited for a lot of classes.

As an example, there are zero viable offhand weapons for rogues that aren't daggers. This leaves us with no option for a matching set of swords, maces, or axes. I can understand the rule for logistic reasons, but it's just a bummer to be so limited in choice when you go and implement such an amazing feature. Quite a shame really...
Edited by Imbald on 9/19/2011 10:59 PM PDT
80 Orc Warrior
But but I wanted to fianly use my twill set =( whats teh point of it if we can even use it?
90 Human Warrior
I guess it might as well be called tier set swap.
90 Tauren Warrior
09/19/2011 10:38 PMPosted by Slainidh
Can casters transmog melee gear, or vice versus? Provided the armor/weapon type is the same?

armor providing it's the same armor type, weapons....well casters CAN trasmog melee weapons however Melee cannot transmog caster weapons.
Edited by Yablonski on 9/19/2011 11:03 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I really hope I will be able to transmog Quel'Delar. Its not a legendary weapon (even tho it kinda should be) but it is a lengthy quest reward and I hope this can happen.....PLEASE LET IT BE OK BLIZZ! ;-)
90 Worgen Druid
any news on unique quest items that people deleted returning? not just popular ones.
85 Human Rogue
Order of things that ruin a lot of the fun of this feature:

1) Item type restriction for weapons. I'd love to be able to transmog a dagger to look like a fist weapon, or sword. In fact, that's the only thing that would make fist weapons (which I happen to love the look of) worth grabbing.
2) Legendary restriction. I don't have any, but it's something I'd like to pick up at some point. I'd hate to go through the work to get a legendary item and them retire it a tier later simply because the stats aren't as good anymore. I'll never bother grabbing glaives or any other legendary item from old content just to dance around Stormwind with it.

The first one is by far the one that makes the least amount of sense. I get not wanting Warriors to be able to dual wield staves, but not allowing any other class to change things up a little that otherwise have one and only one option in front of them most of the time? Meh.

Just my opinion here -

1. I wouldn't like there being no distinction anymore between weapon types. I rather like finding out the weapon type of some awesome new epic that just dropped. If I'm just going to transmogrify it to look like whatever weapon type I prefer, then the drop need not have a type in the first place. It could just be an epic stick of type "weapon".

I do too, until I realize the weapon type is one that makes an otherwise great item useless to me, even when all the stats line up perfectly otherwise or it looks absolutely amazing.

I'm not sure if you feel the same way about hunter ranged weapons no longer being bows, guns, or crossbows, but type "ranged weapon", but it's exactly the same.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
One more thing about legendaries....I feel bad for people with Thunderfury because people I know who have it have done nothing but rave about how they will never use anything else but a transmog'd Thunderfury......this rule might kill this feature for some people.
85 Goblin Rogue
I'd like to be able to change my daggers into swords. :(
90 Draenei Death Knight
/sniff

I won't be able to run around with my Spring Circlet on! (Bunny Ears)

Oh well the feature still is exciting.
90 Human Warrior
Just my opinion here -1. I wouldn't like there being no distinction anymore between weapon types. I rather like finding out the weapon type of some awesome new epic that just dropped. If I'm just going to transmogrify it to look like whatever weapon type I prefer, then the drop need not have a type in the first place. It could just be an epic stick of type "weapon".I do too, until I realize the weapon type is one that makes an otherwise great item useless to me, even when all the stats line up perfectly otherwise or it looks absolutely amazing. I'm not sure if you feel the same way about hunter ranged weapons no longer being bows, guns, or crossbows, but type "ranged weapon", but it's exactly the same.

I don't know why I didn't think of that upon reading. Why should everyone else have specific weapons but hunters get a ranged stat item?
Will Elite PVP gear be able to transmogrified in crafted type PVP gear, therefore giving an advantage of looking like you're in low level gear when actually in the best gear while PVP'ing and fighting in battlegrounds? Or transmogrified into crappy looking pve gear to give the same non-geared look while PVP'ing?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]