Transmogrification Rules

90 Human Death Knight
Since we announced the transmogrification feature coming to World of Warcraft with patch 4.3, we have monitored thousands of follow-up comments, questions and suggestions from players all over the world.

What follows is our current list of rules for transmogrification. This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification.

• The character must be able to equip both items.

• Only common (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will be prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)

• Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)

• Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)

• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.

• Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

• Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

• One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-refundable.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-tradable.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be transmogrified.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be used to transmogrify.

• Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.

• Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.

• Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.

• Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.

• Vendoring an item strips its transmogrification.

• The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)

I still see no clarification on whether or not you need a single One-Handed weapon to transmogrify two for dual wielders... I think information of that nature is very important for people who wish to farm equipment for dual wield sets and such.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Humbly requesting (and it's probably already been mentioned) that the Main-hand/Off-Hand rule only applies to items that are graphically specific to a particular hand. Most Fist Weapons fall under this category. However, the vast majority of Main-Hand or Off-Hand items are symmetrical and fit in either hand.

I'm sure there's plenty of melee that would like a DW set (or even just their off-hand) of caster weapns and casters that would like to use one of the off-hand only weapons as their caster weapon.

Again, this would obviously exclude pretty much every fist weapon as bad things happen if you try to play a main hand fist weapon into an off hand or vice versa, but nearly every non-fist weapon is symmetrical.
85 Troll Shaman
09/19/2011 07:15 PMPosted by Saihah
I'm with you, but even if they ever do allow Legendaries, you'd need a main hand and off-hand STR sword to transmogrify them onto. Unless something changes in the future, they don't make str "off-hand" swords very often.

You don't need to. One-handed items like most Strength weapons are (or seem to be) out of the grounds of the handedness restrictions.

You're wrong on that, I think.

You can 'mog MH -> 1H but not 1H -> MH.

The Glaives are MH and OH respectively.

There are no Strength Main-Hand Weapons except for the Claws of Agony. I've never seen a Strength Off-hand in Cataclysm to date.

You could make the Glaives look like an Obsidium Cleaver if it weren't for the Legendaries clause, but yet, you could NOT look the Obsidium Cleaver look like a Glaive because of the MH/OH restrictions.
100 Blood Elf Warrior
09/19/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Kaivax

Why in the name of God are hunters getting preferential treatment in this?

The whole point -- as far as I can tell -- of this feature is to maintain a look that you like.

I like The Unbreakable Will as my tanking weapon, which is fine since Mandible of Beth'tilac is the tanking weapon this tier, but what happens when it's a mace, or an axe?

I carefully selected transmogrification pieces that demonstrated a certain look -- took my warrior back to his BT/Hyjal tanking gear, for example -- and some sets don't have a weapon of every type that matches then -- in my example, there's no appropriate axe (Brutallizer was an abomination) or mace (Mallet of the Tides lol?).

I'd just like to know why we're allowed to have a uniform appearance across tiers, as long as we're hunters, but if we're not hunters, well it just sucks to be us. Weapons are a huge part of appearance. Why can I wear Onslaught Shoulders (or, at least, the appearance of them) but I can't have dual Lava Spines instead of Obsidium Cleavers?

It doesn't make any sense -- like the other rules do -- it's just arbitrary and is ridiculous favourtism to the hunter class.

In fact, it makes less sense for not-hunters, since guns, crossbows, and bows have different animations, whereas swords, axes, and maces do not.
Edited by Erudition on 9/19/2011 7:23 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
09/19/2011 05:50 PMPosted by Kaivax
• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.

Does this also take the sound of what it's being transmog'd into?
100 Human Priest
Vex
What about items such as Benediction and Anathema? Will I be able to transmorg this and if so will i be able to have the look of benediction look for my holy staff and then have Anathema for my shadow staff?
100 Blood Elf Rogue
09/19/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Tsharra
You could make the Glaives look like an Obsidium Cleaver if it weren't for the Legendaries clause, but yet, you could NOT look the Obsidium Cleaver look like a Glaive because of the MH/OH restrictions.

Oh, bler. Just thought about it and it wouldn't work. ;(

That kinda sucks. At least all my weapons are 1h->1h. <_< Maybe there'd be room to introduce a Transmog(Mainhand/Offhand) thing for that, so it only appears if it's in the right hand.
90 Draenei Death Knight
Can we get Shadow's Edge and similar Firelands and Deathwing level pre-legendaries also restricted? It's not fair that those of us who have done all the work and actually completed the quests can't use the models, but those who haven't get to use them.
Edited by Memories on 9/19/2011 7:26 PM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
OK blizzard answer this Question PLEASE...will lets say a level 50 be able to transmorg his Blue axe into an axe tht looks like one at 85?
100 Blood Elf Warlock
OK I'm slightly confused about what happens to the item you transmogrify with. It says the transmogrify will be stripped if you mail it. So I'm just a little confused about the item you use. if I were to turn my T12 shoulders so it looks like T5 and then I get T13 shoulders, do I have to get another set of T5 to transmogrify my new shoulders?
Please Clarify.
85 Troll Shaman
09/19/2011 07:23 PMPosted by Saihah

Oh, bler. Just thought about it and it wouldn't work. ;(

That kinda sucks. At least all my weapons are 1h->1h. <_< Maybe there'd be room to introduce a Transmog(Mainhand/Offhand) thing for that, so it only appears if it's in the right hand.

Or they need to go back and remove the MH/OH in all weapons and actually design the art of the weapons so that they could be wielded in either hand.

I honestly see no need for the MH/OH restrictions on weapons, to be quite honest. Why are so many caster weapons "Main Hand"? No casters can dual-wield! What the heck is the point in that?

I can understand "Held in off-hand" items being OH-only, Obviously, but what's up with all the MH caster dagger/mace/swords?
85 Undead Hunter
09/19/2011 07:21 PMPosted by Erudition

Why in the name of God are hunters getting preferential treatment in this?

The whole point -- as far as I can tell -- of this feature is to maintain a look that you like.

I like The Unbreakable Will as my tanking weapon, which is fine since Mandible of Beth'tilac is the tanking weapon this tier, but what happens when it's a mace, or an axe?

I carefully selected transmogrification pieces that demonstrated a certain look -- took my warrior back to his BT/Hyjal tanking gear, for example -- and some sets don't have a weapon of every type that matches then -- in my example, there's no appropriate axe (Brutallizer was an abomination) or mace (Mallet of the Tides lol?).

I'd just like to know why we're allowed to have a uniform appearance across tiers, as long as we're hunters, but if we're not hunters, well it just sucks to be us. Weapons are a huge part of appearance. Why can I wear Onslaught Shoulders (or, at least, the appearance of them) but I can't have dual Lava Spines instead of Obsidium Cleavers?

It doesn't make any sense -- like the other rules do -- it's just arbitrary and is ridiculous favourtism to the hunter class.

In fact, it makes less sense for not-hunters, since guns, crossbows, and bows have different animations, whereas swords, axes, and maces do not.

As a hunter I'd like to be able to change my polearm to a two handed sword or something like that. Believe it or not I have to stare at the weapon on my back pretty much 24/7 unless I'm messing around in the city. Being able to make a gun look like a bow is nice, but I'd like to mess with my melee weapons more.

We're on the same side, bro!
85 Draenei Hunter
While I actually agree that the inconsistency in being able to change weapon looks is silly, please stop hating on the hunters. First, it's not like we can change it. Second, the main thing it really affects /is/ the sound made in combat. You see, everyone else gets to run around with their main weapon looking all cool and showing it off. Us? Nope. You see our stat stick. The only time you're likely to see a hunter weapon is in combat...and who looks at even their own weapon then, let alone someone else's? I know I'm paying attention to my surroundings so I can stay out of the fire or yell at my raid team to stay out of the fire, not what people are wielding.

Honestly, the rest of the classes still have the better deal because your changes will be noticeable. I'd fully support letting everything be mogged, including legendaries, but this singling out of hunters is just silly.
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/19/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Tsharra

You don't need to. One-handed items like most Strength weapons are (or seem to be) out of the grounds of the handedness restrictions.

You're wrong on that, I think.

You can 'mog MH -> 1H but not 1H -> MH.

The Glaives are MH and OH respectively.

There are no Strength Main-Hand Weapons except for the Claws of Agony. I've never seen a Strength Off-hand in Cataclysm to date.

Incorrect, Most MH and OH weapons only have graphics for that one hand, that is why there is a restriction in place. You can put a one-hand graphic on a main hand, but you can't put a main-hand graphic on a one-hand, as that would allow you to put a backwards weapon in your off-hand.
90 Worgen Death Knight
09/19/2011 06:05 PMPosted by Goodarthas
That will be a design decision, but I have to point out that one of the prime examples of an item that will not be allowed is one that it invisible. It is unlikely that some invisible items will be allowed, and others will not.Thank you for the feedback and explanation though.

Thanks for the reply. I had one other question that has not been addressed that I could find:

Will "unique" items be restricted from applying to both hands?

For example: Doom's Edge

Will I be able to dual-wield those? Or perhaps one-handed items still flagged as unique could be revised to no longer be unique?

i'd like to know this as well as my current plan is to be dual wielding king's defenders.
85 Human Paladin
09/19/2011 07:27 PMPosted by Tsharra
I honestly see no need for the MH/OH restrictions on weapons, to be quite honest. Why are so many caster weapons "Main Hand"? No casters can dual-wield! What the heck is the point in that?

enhancement shamans are kind of an odd critter the way they get so much value out of spell power... let them DW 1800SP maces and... well.... pew pew
22 Tauren Warrior
It's rather BS about the MH/OH rule. So you are going to allow casters to utilize Melee weapon skin but not allow Melee to utilze caster weapons....VERY LAME MOVE>
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/19/2011 07:30 PMPosted by Lorkanthal

Thanks for the reply. I had one other question that has not been addressed that I could find:

Will "unique" items be restricted from applying to both hands?

For example: Doom's Edge

Will I be able to dual-wield those? Or perhaps one-handed items still flagged as unique could be revised to no longer be unique?

i'd like to know this as well as my current plan is to be dual wielding king's defenders.

Shhhhh! Don't tell them, or they'll nerf it.
90 Night Elf Warrior
In the future I would suggest opening the melee weapons a bit to at least similar animation types.

Staves <-> Polearms

Sword <-> Mace <-> Axe

Daggers

This would remove the issue of Staff/Polearms being used by TG Warriors, and also keep Rogues from stabbing people with a Mace.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]