Mage Tank: completely possible

(Locked)

47 Gnome Mage
I recently was checking out the frost mage spec after having read countless times that frost mage just isn't capable of competing pve wise with arcane or fire, and it got me thinking. Blizzard in the past weeks released a discussion on their direction they're going with tanking, and how like the death knight's system of tanking and a single talent in frost spec provides light on the possibility for mages to actually tank given a revamp of the talent tree and pet mechanics. Permafrost with 3/3 also heals your pet for 15% anytime you deal spell damage, which is in a way the frost mage twist of death strike. So by buffing up the pet and working on the mechanics i think it could be completely possible to have a caster tank and would provide a nice new element to the game.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I've tanked plenty of fights before.

Pro-tip: Use Mirror Images
90 Gnome Mage
no make a boring spec like arcane the tank spec, frost is the best in pve right now don't ruin it.
87 Goblin Mage
09/19/2011 09:21 PMPosted by Eziroth
I recently was checking out the frost mage spec after having read countless times that frost mage just isn't capable of competing pve wise with arcane or fire, and it got me thinking.

No, stop thinking. First, Frost is ahead of Fire and roughly tied with non-Shard of Woe Arcane. Whoever you're getting your information from is dumber than a sack of bricks. Also, mage tank? Really? You want a ranged caster to tank? How does that in any way stay balanced with melee-range tanks ever?
90 Worgen Mage
A range pet tanking spec...

Well, it is an interesting idea. I don't see how you could ever balance it versus melee, but I guess that isn't my problem.
85 Gnome Mage
09/20/2011 10:33 AMPosted by Marksonne

No, stop thinking. First, Frost is ahead of Fire and roughly tied with non-Shard of Woe Arcane. Whoever you're getting your information from is dumber than a sack of bricks. Also, mage tank? Really? You want a ranged caster to tank? How does that in any way stay balanced with melee-range tanks ever?

Stop being a closed-minded !@#$%^-. Fire could EASILY be turned into a similar damage spec, and we know that frost would need changes.

your not very good at your mage huh..
85 Human Mage
Mages don't make sense being a tank or a healer.

If you want a caster tank look at demo warlocks.. that demon form is just begging to be a tank form...
85 Human Mage
I can see where you are going with this. It would have to change the spells quite a bit.

The tanking spec would need to use short range and aoe attacks that had huge agro adds ... arcane explosion, fire blast, cone of cold .. etc

the current three trees would need to be mixed up a bit with spells shifting which tree they belong in.

I would say arcane for tank, just for name sake. Fire for maximum dps (pve) and frost for movement affecting dps (pvp).

The basic idea has merrit, myself I would probably never use the tank as i have both a dk and warrior, but i can see where it could be usefull.
90 Human Mage
Can we not necro these old threads?
Edited by Koviko on 3/4/2012 7:25 AM PST
90 Human Warrior
I think its viable. I believe you all are forgetting one detail though. Anyone remember back in WotLK when a Warlock could main tank OS with thier void walker? Yeah, there you have it.

Although, it took what, two days before Blizzard said "no, no, cant have that" and hot fixed it. Watch, if a mage did accomplish that, it would get fixed rather quickly.
100 Gnome Mage
09/19/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Gamdwelf
no make a boring spec like arcane the tank spec, frost is the best in pve right now don't ruin it.
I give you an E for effort for maintaining this troll for weeks now. GG sir.
92 Undead Mage
First of all, any mage that tells you that frost is good in pve is horribly wrong and probably a pretty bad mage.

I actually had a very similar idea, but I wouldnt do it with frost because I love its current pvp state. Demo locks on the other hand . . . :)
03/06/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Malhavoc
First of all, any mage that tells you that frost is good in pve is horribly wrong and probably a pretty bad mage.

03/05/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Pyromancy
I give you an E for effort for maintaining this troll for weeks now. GG sir.

Just saying, this thread dates from mid 4.2, in which Frost was actually extremely good single target. He WAS right.

Now let's stop bumping this necro'ed thread. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]