Removing solo raid restriction

100 Blood Elf Priest
Right now, we are at a point where it is very easy to solo older raids, especially for certain classes or specs. It is also relatively easy to get into a raid if you have an extra person who is willing to help you out. It really makes the restriction of converting your dungeon type (from 5 man to a raid) rather silly IMO.

Yes, I do have a selfish motive in asking this. With transmogrification coming, people are wanting to farm older raids more than ever. I sometimes play at unusual times when there aren't a lot of people around, so asking a guildmate to let me form a raid and then drop isn't reliable. Also, if you do use this method (as opposed to having someone log on an alt so you keep the raid), you have lost your raid if you die and have to run back.

I'm mainly wondering if there is a technical reason for keeping this limitation in place, or is there some larger gameplay issue that I just haven't thought of? Is removing the restriction even a consideration for the future?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Is it that hard to /who /inv a noob in stv?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
/w guildie Hey dude, if you aren't busy could I borrow you for 30 seconds to make a raid group to put an alt in?

guildie: sure

*log alt in, inv to raid group*

/w guildie thanks! :)

You now have a raid group.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
As already stated by others in the thread, there are many simple and easy ways around it.

However, I would be interested to see if anyone can actually justify the restriction (that is, provide a *good* reason for the restriction to remain in place, or identify some purpose that it serves). If it serves no purpose, it shouldn't be in place.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It's to prevent botters from farming raids for gold just like the 5/hour instances.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
ask a friend to log in a toon they are not playing join a raid with you and let them log out...

You remain in a raid. They dont need to stay there...
Reply Quote
43 Dwarf Warrior
If I recall correctly (and I may not be...I'm old.) it was something to with issued Raid ID's and the original programming / coding.

If I can remember what the heck the actual problem was, I'll come back and edit this post.

But I do agree, I would love for this restriction to be lifted. I don't like bugging people all the time.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not saying the restriction shouldn't be removed. I definitely think it should. I was just offering a current solution for people who don't want to wait around and hope Blizzard changes this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I sometimes play at unusual times when there aren't a lot of people around, so asking a guildmate to let me form a raid and then drop isn't reliable. Also, if you do use this method (as opposed to having someone log on an alt so you keep the raid), you have lost your raid if you die and have to run back.

Instead of doing what you are doing, have a raid made with your own alt as the other person. Make the raid with the guildmate and the character you intend to bring, then log off and get on an alt, have the guildmate invite the alt, then get back on your main and take the lead. That way the raid group isn't disbanded when the guildmate leaves and you can die/dc/switch toons (as long as you don't stay logged off too long, I think you have until it tries to pass the lead from the offline leader to the next person and realizes that everybody is offline).

That's a quick and simple enough solution, and if you try you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone even in trade chat to help you out if there's no one online in your guild. I usually help when people ask for help converting to raid in trade chat - and often enough my whisper is responded to with a "thanks, but someone else already helped me" type response.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
09/25/2011 03:34 AMPosted by Carnation
It is also relatively easy to get into a raid if you have an extra person who is willing to help you out. It really makes the restriction of converting your dungeon type (from 5 man to a raid) rather silly IMO.

I did state here that I know it's relatively easy to circumvent the restriction, and I have been doing so these past few weeks. My post mainly concerned the reasoning behind the restriction.

If the reason for it's continued existence is because it's always been that way, well that's fine. However, as we've seen with old-world flying and transmogrification, things do change and have changed in huge ways, even when Blizzard has previously stated that it will "never happen."

I suppose their main concern would not be old instance farming, but current raid tier, which I can understand. However, we saw after the release of Firelands that people are able to get into a solo raid anyway, so that argument is not valid.

I suspect it is a programming thing that affects multiple levels of your experience in a raid.

"Happens to a raid" or "drops for a raid" are probably tags that exist for abilities, triggers and loot that occur in raids.

And, absent these tags, the bosses would not use core abilities, would not correctly trigger events, or would not have loot.

I don't think this is the case, excepting perhaps for the experience of the person who joins/leaves, but not so for the people already inside the raid and killing a boss. I know this from my many years raiding, in guild runs and pugs, where various things happen concerning people coming and going. I've never noticed fights being affected in the manner you describe.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Made a post about this myself not long ago, I agree, it's very irritating to be restricted like this for raids, and there's no reason for it outside of perhaps a technical one (which should be fairly easy to change).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]