Quick Reference: Pointers for Healing Priests

One to note on PoM (very situational, but it has a place for Disc since we might be smiting a lot at certain points in the fight).

Our two piece tier set bonus currently procs off of PoM, which is the quickest, cheapest, way to get it proc'd for Disc Priests. Noticed I mentioned quickest AND cheapest. GH has better throughput and is cheaper overall than casting PoM, same goes for Heal. But when smiting and using PWS for light damage fights, I have a Power Aura set up to let me know when my proc is ready. If I'm not casting GH often, then use it.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
09/26/2011 09:47 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
Your points are quite valid but this is still just a beginner guide and my focus is on 5 man dungeons here, not so much raiding. I'll leave that to those who come asking for advice for raids rather than incorporating every detail into the post. Holy does just fine in 5 man dungeons and heroic dungeons, as does Disc.

I'm not really saying you should include the detailed explanations I was giving. Obviously, you can't include every trifling bit of esoterica about healing as a Priest in a basic guide.

However, what mainly worried me was the general tenor of statements that make sense when you're trying to bring an inexperienced player up to a decent level of performance - but then become questionable when you're trying to bring them from a decent to an excellent level of performance.

For example, when you look at the log of a bad Holy Priest, you'll probably see a lot of Flash Heals there. As the Priest gets better, those Flash Heals start going away. And then as the Priests gets even better... they come back.

So a statement like "Avoid casting Flash Heal on targets above 50% health" will be (mostly) true over the entire continuum of skill while a statement like "Try to reduce the amount you cast Flash Heal" really won't be.

It might also be that my own experience leads me to read concepts into your guide that really aren't there - it's awfully tough to guess what the subjective perception of some with radically different experience might be. For example, when you talk about throwing ProM on the tank, I immediately think about how regularly casting ProM on the tank used to be a standard tactic because it was a more efficient way to heal than actually using a direct heal (not to mention that the 'pre-shielding' effect was a much larger percentage of the tank's health and the ratio of tank health to incoming damage was much smaller).

But a person who never played back in BC is unlikely to have the same immediate reaction.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
09/27/2011 02:53 PMPosted by Calaris
For example, when you talk about throwing ProM on the tank, I immediately think about how regularly casting ProM on the tank used to be a standard tactic because it was a more efficient way to heal than actually using a direct heal

Oh of course. In my personal practice if PoM isn't bouncing I'm like whatever I don't need to blow mana on this EVERYTIME its off CD. I track PoM and if its still got charges and the raid can still take hits (like a Domo cleave), I will just leave it be.

So a statement like "Avoid casting Flash Heal on targets above 50% health" will be (mostly) true over the entire continuum of skill while a statement like "Try to reduce the amount you cast Flash Heal" really won't be.

I think that was the point I was trying to get at with the whole "if you have an OH CRAP/emergency moment." Of course once you start getting more comfortable with your mana pool and keeping things where they don't get so out of control, one can resort to more use of Flash Heal when needed to get a player back up, rather than FH->GH as Holy.

However, what mainly worried me was the general tenor of statements that make sense when you're trying to bring an inexperienced player up to a decent level of performance - but then become questionable when you're trying to bring them from a decent to an excellent level of performance.

Personally, I think that is when a player who wants to go from "decent" to "excellent" should start searching for more answers seperate from this beginner information. I can't even claim to have "excellent" performance myself.

Perhaps I can go back and try to rephrase/clean up a few things. Its hitting the character limit DX

09/27/2011 02:48 PMPosted by Xaelra
Our two piece tier set bonus currently procs off of PoM, which is the quickest, cheapest, way to get it proc'd for Disc Priests. Noticed I mentioned quickest AND cheapest. GH has better throughput and is cheaper overall than casting PoM, same goes for Heal.

This is true but this 2-set isn't going to be around forever/people coming to this guide might be level 30 and thus don't have access. Keeping this very beginner oriented :)
Edited by Ashleycakez on 9/27/2011 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I switched to Disc, I tried the changes and still have mana problems. Maybe I just dont have enough spirit?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
09/28/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Cafu
I switched to Disc, I tried the changes and still have mana problems. Maybe I just dont have enough spirit?

I can't see your Disc spec. Disc does need some Spirit at lower gear levels to compensate for low mana. I think a lot of raiding Disc Priests run around 1.7k Spirit so if you have just a bit more than that it will help until your gear gets better. Don't look at my set up, I play Holy main spec and thus I retain a lot of Spirit on my gear

My own alt Disc Priest has mana problems as well: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Ashleycakez/advanced

It will get better as you get more and more gear, but it shouldn't be too terrible at lower gear levels.

If I may ask, what is your typical style of healing? Are you Atonement spec? Do you stick with Penance and Greater Heal for the most part?

If you are finding that you can't keep up with AoE healing as Disc, you need to consider this: Discipline is a mitigation healing spec. You should keep Divine Aegis on your group as much as you can (via Prayer of Healing) to mitigate incoming damage. This should help you with mana problems. Try to keep the DA rolling on your group so it keeps building up, rather than you having to catch up when everyone takes a hit that knocks them down to 50%, with DA up your group might only get knocked down to 65% hp. With the DA that hit will be lessened and you can focus on getting your tank back up to 80%+ while slowly working on getting your group back up via PoH.

Another source of healer mana woe comes from group play. Are mobs being CC'd in your group? Are your dps/tanks bothering to interrupt any casts? The biggest offender is in Grim Batol - a lot of the elemental mobs and their humanoid buddies cast some nasty spells that SHOULD BE interrupted, but chances are your party members aren't doing so. That can also contribute to your mana problems.

Your gear doesn't have any enchants, not that I'd advocate enchanting level 84 pieces if you aren't an Enchanter/don't have spare gold, but once you hit 85 you should get everything enchanted and gemmed. I'd recommend doing so on ilvl 333+ pieces.

Bring a lot of water with you to dungeons in the meantime. Once you get the hang of it you will find yourself stopping to rest less. Practice makes perfect!
Edited by Ashleycakez on 9/28/2011 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
09/28/2011 09:43 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
If you are finding that you can't keep up with AoE healing as Disc, you need to consider this: Discipline is a mitigation healing spec. You should keep Divine Aegis on your group as much as you can (via Prayer of Healing) to mitigate incoming damage. This should help you with mana problems. Try to keep the DA rolling on your group so it keeps building up, rather than you having to catch up when everyone takes a hit that knocks them down to 50%, with DA up your group might only get knocked down to 65% hp. With the DA that hit will be lessened and you can focus on getting your tank back up to 80%+ while slowly working on getting your group back up via PoH.

I find this is probably the one basic Discipline technique that is most overlooked by new players: refreshing DA procs with PoH. It becomes especially important with ProM/Atonement, as these have a tendency to leave random (and unnoticed) DA procs that are very unlikely to be worthwhile unless refreshed.

While it's not always necessary, it rarely hurts to simply cast PoH every 12 secs or so just for the heck of it (as long as you can afford the mana). Indeed, once you get good enough gear to maintain the mana, you can basically sleepwalk through most of the heroics by blindly following the sequence:
1. PW:S on tank if no Weakened Soul.
2. Penance on tank if cooled down.
3. Holy Fire on main target.
4. Prayer of Healing every 10 - 12 secs.
5. Smite otherwise
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Cafu,

Now that your armory has updated, I can see where you should change a few points around in Discipline.

The 2 points in Focused Will should be placed in Train of Thought. If you are using Greater Heal (as I suspect you would with your spec) often, the mana savings from Inner Focus's reduced CD will be very valuable.

3/3 Inner Sanctum is not needed for PvE Discipline. Remove two points from this talent and place it into Soul Warding. At your gear level you probably don't want to roll shields on multiple people but its a good talent to have in case the situation arises.

You shouldn't be using Renew as Disc (for PvE), only in very specific circumstances should Renew be used.

Party member that needs a heal while you need to move:
  • Already has Weakened Soul
  • Prayer of Mending is on cooldown
  • You absolutely cannot stop moving to channel/cast a heal
  • Said party member will probably die if they cannot receive a heal within the duration of Renew
  • You would use Renew at this time if all of these conditions are met

The 2 points in Improved Renew would be far better off in Divine Fury, and the points in Surge of Light would be better off capping Divine Fury and finishing off Inspiration.

Calaris really stressed the importance of keeping DA up on your group. Make sure you take this into account and use this strategy in dungeons to help you save some mana.
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Priest
    Cafu .. before you start your regemming and enchanting/reenchanting .. walk your nonexistant hiney (UD humor) over to a reforger and reforge any "hit" on your 300+ ilvl pieces to the recommended stat(s) ... perhaps hit to spirit ... pls check several of the other disc priests who post here and you won't see any "hit" rating on their gear
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    09/29/2011 01:15 PMPosted by Awria
    She'll do it too.

Mhmm mhmm mhmm.
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Priest
    For disc, I have to disagree with the points on the spell heal for any current raid content and future raid content within this expansion. I haven't used heal since my very first heroic in Catacylsm becuz it takes much to long to heal for such a pitiful amount. for beginners at 85 it will be needed as you do not have the mana to have greater heal to be your go to spell, but for the time it takes to actually cast heal in a raid situation u'd just be better off saving mana to prepare for the next damage incoming and using the other spells mentioned above.
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    10/01/2011 01:47 PMPosted by Rapsidy
    For disc, I have to disagree with the points on the spell heal for any current raid content and future raid content within this expansion

For like the third time - this is not a guide for raiding >_>

But you are not incorrect.
    Edited by Ashleycakez on 10/1/2011 1:51 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Priest
    hence why i posted in the reply that i do agree it is needed for beginners at 85 trying to gear.

i think the title may be confusing for beginner raiders as well as they only see pointers for healing priests which could apply for any situation, and many ppl do not always read every comment. maybe just a alteration in title would benefit the thread? just an opinion.

heck i'd be surprised if most ppl read past the first 2 paragraphs in most threads <,< no offense to you or anyone else as i do tend to write longer responses myself.
    Edited by Rapsidy on 10/1/2011 1:55 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    Reading is very hard.

I will consider a better title.
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Priest
    that or a giant disclaimer at the beginning THIS IS NOT FOR RAIDING PRIESTS!!!! caps seem to always grab attention for the easily distracted (aka me)
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    It already does say that >_> Pretty sure. Maybe I should use some underlining in there.
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Priest

nothing about whether this is a guide for just beginners in general or beginner raiders :P maybe its there and im just to tired to notice i am running on 3 hours of sleep but

you are looking for more in-depth information on stats and talents please check the Disc and Holy stickies on this forum! You won't find that information here!

maybe i'm to nitpicky and i apologize if i am being like that.
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    My headache makes me want to go rawr at nitpicking atm.

Must ... resist...

I will attempt to better clarify it; however, I think the little bit about "many starting Priests come by our forums looking for advice" sort of thing kind of says not raiding advice...

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

09/23/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
    These are tips for those of you beginning healing to help you in the dungeons and heroic dungeons you encounter in your journey.

Raiding was never included in this intro ^

09/23/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
    Many starting Priests stop by our forum looking for useful tips
    Edited by Ashleycakez on 10/1/2011 3:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    20 Night Elf Druid
    10/01/2011 01:47 PMPosted by Rapsidy
    For disc, I have to disagree with the points on the spell heal for any current raid content and future raid content within this expansion. I haven't used heal since my very first heroic in Catacylsm becuz it takes much to long to heal for such a pitiful amount. for beginners at 85 it will be needed as you do not have the mana to have greater heal to be your go to spell, but for the time it takes to actually cast heal in a raid situation u'd just be better off saving mana to prepare for the next damage incoming and using the other spells mentioned above.

Note that if you've got ToT, Greater Heal has better hpm than Heal (and obviously far better hps). Which is probably the main reason you so rarely see Discipline Priests casting Heal.
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    Alright, I took all the feedback to heart and revamped a few of the points. Please let me know what you think. Tried to clarify a few things while still keeping it concise and to the point for leveling Priests or fresh 85 Priests doing dungeons and heroic dungeons.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]