Is Affliction viable in PvP?

70 Orc Warlock
I want to finish leveling this toon to 85 to pvp with him but i've been hearing some bad stuff about affliction locks in pvp. Aff is the only spec i enjoy playing with the lock i've tested destro and demo but didn't like at all.

i used to play my alliance affliction lock during bc and it was... yummy. I know it will not be op like before but still, i miss playing a lock, just don't wanna get farmed in in bg's/arenas.
Reply Quote
in my experience in pvp is that as long as u have ur dots up and put your fears down u can be pretty good. i play as affliction and im not OP but i still to fairly well. In arenas as long as u have some decent resil and a good healer u can do good. the same principles apply like in pvp if u can continue to have dots up and get your fear off as much as possible u can do good.
At least in my experience
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Aff for 3's. Period.

For anything else, I feel Demo is completely underrated. Most will come out of the woodworks saying "zomg no dispel protection", "3's are all that matter", and "bleh hardcasts". Subjective opinion be told, it's not as bad as people make it out to be, does very well against some things Aff has trouble with, and is just a lot more fun than being the CC battery and running/porting away from melee all day.

Rated battlegrounds where so much of your downtime between Meta/Demon-Soul is spent running around nodes/bases anyway. Aff may have better sustained survivability, but not the kind of "burst survivability" that Demo will provide with Meta.

Similarly, Aff may provide better sustained control over the course of a long fight, but it won't root/stun/fear/banish you the same way demo will in a few casts.
Edited by Hils on 10/1/2011 12:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Demo. Thats all I can say.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Affliction Locks are one of the most well-represented specs in the game as far as high-end arena/rbg setting.

We're very much a support class though. Don't get hung up on kbs or even damage. On my lock I make every healer's life miserable. Roll full dots on them, swap curse of tongues/exhaustion and fear to victory.

I've helped my team secure many kills just by keeping the healers occupied.

Arcane mage spamming blast from the bushes? Fear/Curse of Tongues.

Dot every rogue you see. Frost Dk doing crazy damage? Curse of weakness.

1v1 is fine, but if you get more than 2 melee on you it can get hairy, but that's most casters.

As long as you don't care about charts (and you shouldn't) - you'll be fine.

Plus any shadow priest/balance druid/fire mage will be your best friend and want to arena with you.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Affliction Warlock DoTs don't do damage, so don't try to 2s with a healer.

In a BGs having a full set of DoTs going on a bunch of targets can really stress out healers and make it possible to score kills with heals going around, but don't expect to kill many people yourself (You still get KBs but you probably won't have done most of the damage)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Lol what?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock

Lol what?

I like the part where a shaman said that.
Reply Quote

Lol what?

What he means is that aff has no capacity for bursting or surging to overcome the heals your enemy is getting. and is as such not at all viable for a dps role in 2v2s. Aff is only viable for spamming UA's and ccs in 3s, it has no dps role in pvp.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Demo is fairly good outside of arena. All afflic really has is soul swap and UA. Sorry but for general purposes I'll take HoG/Meta... Did you know that HoG root aura can still affect immune players? This is Filthkhrist from above fyi.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
If you notice.. Afflic is pretty much just fear-style CC. Your choice insta howl, fear, DC. Now add an aoe root into that mix (which is also a stun if they stay longer), ranged stun that can be used while you are silenced, stunned, sheep, fear etc (axe toss), you got your demon leap, another aoe stun.. which is just amazing defensivly or offensively, use before a howl etc... You really have 2x as much CC, plus the AOE is meant for crowded room fights, with felstorm, shadowflame, immo auro, helfire up you can overwhelm healers quickly.

Now lets talk about physical dps classes like rogues, warriors and ferals.. 600% armor +4k resil + 25% soul link (if you have a healer that is nice as well, but I never count on it).. there is your answer. The only thing it lacks imo is a nice fast casting bread and butter spell that hits for more than 6k.
Edited by Avayle on 10/2/2011 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I don't really do 3's, as I don't like affliction at all. ^ that is me by the way. My low rating is because I have left and restarted teams like a dozen times. Also, like I said, demo isn't great in arena.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
10/01/2011 03:50 PMPosted by Érebus
Demo. Thats all I can say.

Show me a Demo Lock above 2.2K in any pvp setting.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
People really have absolutely no idea how to haunt, curse of elements/jinx, Shadow and Flames, or Shadows embrace, do they?

Affliction is fine in PvP. We are a bit squishy towards melee, but all in all we're still the most overpowered rank-1 viable class in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Lol what?

What he means is that aff has no capacity for bursting or surging to overcome the heals your enemy is getting. and is as such not at all viable for a dps role in 2v2s. Aff is only viable for spamming UA's and ccs in 3s, it has no dps role in pvp.

Alright man I totally believe you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
10/02/2011 02:12 PMPosted by Vitriol

*cough*
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I'm kinda experimenting with destro for pvp at the moment, my main spec is aff but it seems like I'm starting to enjoy destro more now. From my experience so far is that aff has been good only if I can keep my opponent at distance for awhile but as they start getting closer Im screwed if ive already used howl of terror and death coil. Its different if you have a healer with you but I don't rely on that because if you rely on heals then its hard to say if your really any good or if your even rolling with the best spec possible. It seems like I got better chances bringing my opponent down with destro before they can resist a couple fears.. Alot of times dots take way to long to get anything done especially if the guy your targeting is getting healed or if a melee class gets the jump on you first. Only irritating thing about destro so far that I'm having is the cast time on howl of terror.. Still experimenting though but will see what happens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]