Outdated graphics

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
How long does a game last with out dated graphix. Old texturing and anamation.

I got my opinions. But lets hear yours.

How long does a game last with old technology ?

Bring it ..

How long until you just move on to something newer ..

-Zona

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The more balanced the game, the longer its longevity, I still prefer Super Smash brothers Melee (GameCube) over Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii) due to how more fluid and balanced it was over its sequel. I still part take in the local tournaments they have with Melee over Brawl at the game stores.

So looking at a game (SSB Melee) that’s over 10 years old (came out in 2001); it’s still good.

Another Balanced game is Counter Strike Source (excluding speed, wall, and aimbot hackers), think that game is circa 2004/2005, it’s still fun, I play the zombie servers every now and then, kinda like Left 4 Dead but more odd, can never go wrong with the custom maps, i.e. killing zombies in a level where everything is built out of Legos.

Graphics do help evolve genres though, i.e. I liked gears of war 1 & 2, but gears 3, just totally impressed me, graphics and game-play wise. Being a sawed off shot gun (overpowered in the wrong hands) samurai is just a blast too. After just recently playing the free to download Battlefield 3 beta on xbox360, I will admit that game has stepped up its graphics a ton, and I already prefer it over its previous releases.

Even though Call of Duty: Black Ops was slightly better than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 just a tiny bit graphically it was less fun in the multiplayer (excluding quick scopers and ump users) in vs to COD:MW2, so again, balance strikes again in my book. I’m also looking forward to MW3, hope it hits home in balanced multiplayer like MW2 but more so.

Sometimes it helps to turn down the graphics too, i.e. multiboxing 5 accounts with Keyclone on one pc (which I used to do, but less so nowadays) to keep your system running smoother with the overhead of processes.

Also noted it was easier to snipe in the WW2 tactical FPS game series Red Orchestra 1 & 2, when the graphics were totally turned down to pixels, due to movement of other players were a shift in pixels, giving away their position, where as it was slightly harder to see players when smoothed out textures were in play, making them blend in, with what I would call, working-in-game-camouflage.

So at times less graphics helps, just in rare-situations. I think warcraft can get nauseating with graphics maxed sometimes, all the colors as is, with added glowing things and shadows, looks rather in a way an over polished turd. So I just set it to where it looks smooth, just not, over smoothed.

Console wise, you see a difference, though it’s always debatable, I prefer a 360 over a ps3, despite its lackluster in graphics in vs to ps3, I also like its easy interface, and better achievement system, and a more supportive online community, i.e. xbox360achievements.org has always been a home away from home for me in the 360 gaming community outside the box itself.

So it’s all very user preference, community driven, and what the game is about as well. There are a lot of factors that play, you can have a very good looking game but it can also be very miserable if it’s not fun.

I mostly shoot for balanced games; graphics are just an additional perk in the long run for the eyes.

Reply Quote
Wow, You've done your homework.

One of my favorite games of all time, is Diablo II. I played it on and off through the years. The graphics only hurts my eyes for a couple days, until I get use to it again.

I've been waiting for Diablo III to come out, and waiting, and waiting. Now, I'm getting mad, and I wonder if I even care anymore when it is released.

I haven't played any of those games you mentioned, but I might watch for some good deals on ebay ect.

I got a new computer and pushed to to the limit with video settings, but I'll try bumping it down some because like you say, it gets like a polished turd at some point.

So WOW would likely be around for another 5-10 years, unless something new completely dwarfs it, and subscriptions just die off. If Blizzard gets real world pvp fixed, I'd play WOW for many more years.. on and off.

I agree, a good game has to be fun, easy to use interface, a strong community of players.

Now days we can expect good sound effects too.

I played Earth and Beyond, but subscriptions dropped off and they shut down the servers. Would Blizzard ever do that to us ? That game did have some boring issues that needed to be resolved. Insane travel times to differant zones.

I'll stop here for now, since this is getting kinda long .

-Zona
Edited by Zona on 10/6/2011 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
blizz would do this in the coming years of its history, least i expect,

as servers dwindle, the populations get shifted or merged, keeping the community active, as it continues to down grade, blizz keeps the shift moving, up and till you have down the road, just a few servers (were talking 10+ years from now) the level cap will most likely be 100, as expected, 85-90, then 90-100, so expected 2 more expansions, giving room for their new games to take grasp too, i.e. Diablo 3 and its expansions, Starcraft 2's expansions, and the supposed new fps shooter mmorpg in the rumor mill slated for a 2014-2016 release they have called project "Titan".

so instead of total server shut down, the community will remain active and just shift to eventually a few dedicated servers keeping the populations in a nice pool of gamers.

this shift will be gradual, and i'm sure blizz already has plans for keeping the long-running gamers of this game in, due to the monthly payout they receive from subscriptions.

Reply Quote
Yea, That is kinda what I was anticipating.

It's surprising, even mind blowing, that Diablo II is still online after all these years. I miss the older version when Cow Level was a big deal. It got nerfed.

Too bad someone don't make a good mmo space game, like Earth and Beyond.

Starcraft II is a game I haven't played yet, probably cause I'd rather play WOW at the moment.

I'm thinking some real good games will come from China, now that they're a major player in the modern world.

-Zona
Reply Quote
OK, I just signed up for the Diablo III Beta test.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I really don't know what kind of game(s) china would make/design, looks like I have some research on google to do later.

I know korea makes a lot of mini mmorpgs that seem to stay in beta for years then become legit after a while, i.e. maplestory, rose online, couple others. japan has its !@#$ video game industry, oddly america is stepping into that slowly in some gray areas.

if you liked Dota (the add on to warcraft 3), a remake of that add on or mod to a game; Heroes of Newerth, just became free to download recently, sort of a *attack their base and defend yours* kind of game.

i am severely distracted by gears of war 3 to even bother picking up stacraft 2, even though I own the collectors edition of starcraft 2. In gears of war 3 I have a 2.5 kill / death ratio, i think 3.5 is the highest k /d seen by a survey, so i do pretty well, my real life friends and i play team deathmatch a lot, we seem to have a build made to where every1 has "their own character" and each of us specialize in our own weapons, so its pretty addicting, given we win a ton

i think ill redownload diablo 2 and its expansion just to see how its going, and prob download diablo 3, and i just got back into dungeons and dragons on ventrilo campaigns with my old military buddies...then i got college paid off by the veterans affairs, modern warfare 3 coming out, battlefield 3...sometimes i wish i could just play 5 games at once...and study X_x
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Warrior
Hi, I'm Zona's alt.

Zona moved to a FULL population server .. I had alts there already for such occasion.

Zona is pretty much done with WOW .. cept for casual until Diablo III comes out. Signed up for Beta testing Diablo III .. all you should too.

Zaurra, you seem like such a nice person. You bring tons of content.. to forum threads. Thank you so much. You'd make a good friend IRL. I hope you got lots of friends that apreciate you.

I purchassed Civilization V months ago .. and just now finally installed it and played it. The map editor is totally sucx. Civilization IV is a far superior game if you like to edit games/maps.

In total dissapointment.. and shame on Sid Mires games (for the first time..) I broke CD in pieces and threw in waste basket.

All Sid Mires games were usually very good, cept for now .. Surprisingly game reviews were high for Civ 5. They're not telling the truth.

Like you said, Zaurra .. sometimes the older game version is better playability, better interface, better fun ..

-Zona, Budhawk
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Warrior
I gota add this too..

Civilazation IV was directX 9

Civilazation V is directx 10-11.

What good is better renduring, when artwork is same ?

Polished turd is what you get. The Cinimatics are worse too .. before they were secxy in Civ-4, now they have little apeal. Totally unInteresting in Civ-5

-Zona, Budhawk
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Minecraft proved that graphics mean nothing
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Warrior
My grandmother played card games like solitaire, and she proved that graphics are over rated.

Yes, good games can exist without fancy video .. or sound ..

I think I understand your comment ..

I did not play the game you mentioned, but I believe what you say.

Thanks for bringing your idea to the forums.

At first, I thought you were trashing this forum thread ..

Again, .. thanks for your comments.

There is an old 16 bit Sega game that I'd recomend for old school gammers... Buck Rogers
If that's not vintage enough.. I'd recomend a PC Game .. Crusaders of the Dark Savant. (you need a very old PC with very specific configuration for it to work) I can advise on PC configuration details.

-me again
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Warrior
Here is a game to talk about.. and the subject is RANDOM MAP GENERATION.

The game name is Sins of a Solar Empire. The random map generator totally FAILS. It would be better to have 20 predetermined maps .. than 5000 random maps that are usless.

You try to random generate maps, but they all have unexceptable travle distances... making the scenario not fun.

A potentially good game .. but poor map editor. Don't random generate poor maps, if it's easier to give us 20 good predetermined maps.

-me again
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/12/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Gnomiie

try detonating over 10,000 tnt at the same time, in fact, 100,000 blocks of it, im pretty sure it will lag the hell out of your system or crash it, minecraft+tnt=graphics overkill, if you overkill the numbers on tnt
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Hi, I'm Zona's alt.

Zona moved to a FULL population server .. I had alts there already for such occasion.

Zona is pretty much done with WOW .. cept for casual until Diablo III comes out. Signed up for Beta testing Diablo III .. all you should too.

Zaurra, you seem like such a nice person. You bring tons of content.. to forum threads. Thank you so much. You'd make a good friend IRL. I hope you got lots of friends that apreciate you.

I purchassed Civilization V months ago .. and just now finally installed it and played it. The map editor is totally sucx. Civilization IV is a far superior game if you like to edit games/maps.

In total dissapointment.. and shame on Sid Mires games (for the first time..) I broke CD in pieces and threw in waste basket.

All Sid Mires games were usually very good, cept for now .. Surprisingly game reviews were high for Civ 5. They're not telling the truth.

Like you said, Zaurra .. sometimes the older game version is better playability, better interface, better fun ..

-Zona, Budhawk

hey zona, goodspeed to you on your new realm, i'll probably go horde on stormreaver soon as an elf or undead, my old military buddies are there, i'm still extremely distracted with gears of war 3, spent 4 hours just doing horde mode fighting 40 or so waves of monsters with some random person online last night in silverback mechs and fortified barriers etc, sure got intense at some parts.

heard civilization kills time super fast, so be careful with that series lol

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/12/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Gnomiie

this guy is right.

i'll tell you this though; the game isn't nearly as cool as it used to be, and thats through no fault of its own. the most appealing aspects of the game have been covered, and redistributed 10 times over.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
i never got into minecraft, always felt it was probably like those civilization games, where time just flies aimlessly, WoW is sorta the same way in many different ways too...wasn't ready to dive into another time-vise x_X even as good as it is :3
Reply Quote
Hah !

I seen Minecraft now .. my friend plays it and show'd me some of it.

Cool stuff ..

There are so many games and so little time ..

I'll look it over closer when time permits.

-me
Edited by Chirt on 10/24/2011 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
so many games indeed, i still haven't finished Rage, F3AR, MW3 (Campaign mode), some Gears of war 3 achievements I'm at 90% so far on that, just time consuming. I would farm epics in warcraft like I used to, just messing with toons or pvp twinks these days. Not to mention..............Skyrim as well, I'm a bit of a completion-ist on achievements on xboxlive (my ps3 is just a blue ray player these days) I still have to clean sweep a few games.

Not going to even pick up Battlefield 3, my unfinished game library is starting to stack too high. x_X
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
friends are driving me crazy to get minecraft, guna pick it up later this month, i know its a bit late, but pretty sure the game has a lot going for it. I just got back into wow, spent over 2k moving and transforming gears...my Arcanite Ripper Axe is now an eyeball axe that turns into a green axe that plays like an axe.............Axeception !!! (Inception reference to those who don't get it)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]