Wormhole Generator and Kaye Toogie

90 Goblin Shaman
The wormhole generator has a four hour cooldown. The option of Underground, allowing you to talk to Kaye happens... once in a blue moon. I don't know the actual chances of this, but I've been using the generator as often as possible after leveling up my new engineer, and today was the first time I've seen the option. I have an engineer on another server that went for months (using the generator once a day when I was doing dailies) before seeing Underground as an option.

So it's not like she's easy to get to. Or even predictable. Between both of the engineers that I have, I've talked to Kaye maybe a dozen times. And almost every single time, Kaye has nothing to sell. Limited supply recipe, of course.

As I write this post, I am hoping that Kaye restocks before she goes to the "unresponsive" state. For anyone not familiar, Kaye has a timer for restocking like all limited supply vendors. But she also has another timer -- after a certain period of time she'll simply stop talking to you. My guess is that Kaye's unique status with the unresponsive timer (unique as far as I know, that is) and limited supply recipes is to prevent someone from farming. But I have to say... dumb.

There's a really easy way to make it so that engineers don't flood the market with these schematics. Bind on pickup schematics. Poof! The only ones who can get to Kaye are engineers. The only ones who would need the schematics are engineers. And if you can use the wormhole generator, your engineering skill is far above what you'd need to learn any of the recipes Kaye sells.

No more limited supply recipes. No need for unresponsive NPC timers. No worries that you'll get that rare chance of going Underground and not actually being able to buy the schematics. And lots and lots of other vendors sell BoP recipes, so this wouldn't even be a difficult coding issue.

TL;DR: Please make the schematics Kaye sells BoP, with unlimited quantity, so on the very rare chance that my engineer can go underground to talk to her, they can actually learn the schematics.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank You for the explanation of what the "Underground" choice was on our Wormhole Generators. The one time mine came up I thought it was one of those failures that people try to say is "fun"that would port us into solid rock and be another way to kill us with this profession (and having to take a GY rezz to boot). Nice to know it has something of worth if everything works out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I've seen Underground three times and got to buy the recipes two out of those three times. This was with hundreds of attempts, two or three times a day, over several months. Ironically, I never actually bother to make the trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
10/03/2011 09:39 PMPosted by Tshesebe
Thank You for the explanation of what the "Underground" choice was on our Wormhole Generators. The one time mine came up I thought it was one of those failures that people try to say is "fun"that would port us into solid rock and be another way to kill us with this profession (and having to take a GY rezz to boot). Nice to know it has something of worth if everything works out.

I'll be honest...

That would amuse me greatly. Much more than the random misfires of engineering items that kill you. You die, but you chose the option that killed you.

But no, it's perfectly safe. The engineer shows up at the bottom of the well that's just outside the Horde inn in Dalaran. If you have a Horde character, you can even go out and find the grate, and look down and see Kaye sitting there. Of course I should mention that Alliance engineers don't need to worry that it's near the Horde inn, it really doesn't matter down there (no Sunreavers to teleport you out).
10/03/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Raimondas
I've seen Underground three times and got to buy the recipes two out of those three times. This was with hundreds of attempts, two or three times a day, over several months. Ironically, I never actually bother to make the trinkets.

Your luck with the schematics is far better than mine. But I do have to admit that I'm not sure how much use I'd actually get from the schematics. I guess the whole thing just bothers me a bit because it's so rare to get the Underground option, then on top of that you have the chance of not being able to actually buy the schematics. Like you're being kicked when you're down. And it would be so easy to make the trip down there rewarding -- the rare chance of Underground, and poof, you can make the things Kaye sells.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/03/2011 11:50 PMPosted by Qazzi

Your luck with the schematics is far better than mine. But I do have to admit that I'm not sure how much use I'd actually get from the schematics. I guess the whole thing just bothers me a bit because it's so rare to get the Underground option, then on top of that you have the chance of not being able to actually buy the schematics. Like you're being kicked when you're down. And it would be so easy to make the trip down there rewarding -- the rare chance of Underground, and poof, you can make the things Kaye sells.

She sells three recipes. Two of them are available from other vendors. Only Schematic: Arcanite Dragonling is unique to her. In BC it was a very rare world drop and was changed to being sold by her in Wrath. I don't think I've ever crafted one.

If you're interested, Schematic: Mechanical Dragonling is sold by a gnome Gnaz Blunderflame hiding out in the mountains of Northern Stranglethorn and is somewhat hard to find; check Wowhead for directions. Schematic: Mithril Mechanical Dragonling is available from Ruppo Zipcoil who is another gnome, also hiding out in the mountains in the Hinterlands.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Huh. I could have sworn that Kaye had two unique schematics, not just one. WTB a better memory.

In any case, I think the rarity of seeing the Underground option on the wormhole generator is sufficient to prevent engineers from flooding the market with Kaye's schematic for the Arcanite Dragonling, and it would be pretty easy to make it BoP anyway -- so an engineer who happens to get the Underground option has at least something available to buy.
Reply Quote
35 Human Paladin
The 1 lesson I have learnt from Engineering in WoW

Frustration = Fun

The only crafting prof that gets a 'use' version of the profession bonus (shares a CD with lots of trinks too so you have to macro it to weave it into a rotation).

We get told Engineering is mainly for Fun yet one of the most interesting items (scope) we get in Cata that would have been useable by 3 classes instead gets restricted to 1 class despite the fact every other version of the scopes is useable (but mostly useless) by those other 2 specs!

The other fun items all have a chance to kill us in PvE situations simply so they aren't overpowered in PvP.

I'd probably retrain in another profession if I thought I was going to be playing WoW after SWTOR comes out but I think even if SWTOR fails to capture my gaming pleasure I will give up WoW anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Currently sitting with Kaye at this moment on my lock... She is still giving me a vendor window after 40 minutes... No patterns yet but I am gonna stay here for a bit longer to see if I get any luck.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It's pointless to camp her. After a bit she'll stop talking to you. Just use the generator on c/d and you'll eventually get the recipes. By now, most engineers have them; if you're persistent and use it every time you have the ability to, you'll get the recipes.

Camping is pretty much ineffective due to Kaye's internal cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I finally got the Underground option and decided to camp her a bit. I logged in every couple of hours. What I'm not seeing is her stop talking to me like everyone has always said she does, so she might've been changed in MoP. I also wanted to point out that her vendor tab has a filter for my character's class and spec, so I've been changing the filter to All just in case. I'm probably going to give up after another day of checking on her.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
i've only been there once :3
it was exciting though.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
I've been stuck in this oubliette for the past week waiting for this lady to have something to sell to me. It struck me, how does she even restock? is somebody lowering new recipes down on a rope and bucket?
Reply Quote
29 Undead Rogue
Whats the point? Once you can actually make the device to get there the arcanite dragon is useless. Its a 300 engineering pattern and a level 60 1 minute helper. But you need 415 to make the wormhole generator. You need to be 65 to skill up to 415. So the only way you'd actually use this trinket for a real purpose is if you are lucky enough to have an engineer friend make one for you, or get you the pattern, or you willing to pay the outrageous AH price.

Epic fail for this if you ask me. I just started playing WOW again after years of not playing due to a friend asking me to try it again. I think they dumbed it down too much in terms of leveling (60 after 3 weeks of playing again?) and yet they still have stupid things like this in it to frustrate you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]