Heirlooms

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am pretty sure Blizzard has already thought of this idea but I am going to say this anyway. Is it possible for Blizzard if the program allows it to have each item to have a database Boolean to determine if it is server transferable or not. But yeah I am pretty sure Blizzard thought this up within the first 10 ideas.
85 Dwarf Priest
Is there any way to make the Void Storage an Account Based storage?

Flat rate to deposit items
X-Gold if character that deposited item withdrawals the item
y-Gold (more) if a character other then the depositor withdraws the item?
Community Manager
For those making honest suggestions or constructive comments on this topic, I thank you. Jumping out of line and tearing apart Blizzard or any of the other posters in this thread isn't cool.

I'm just stating the facts of our design intent and technical hurdles, folks. If you choose not to believe what I'm saying -- as if I'd enjoy spending this much time on a topic just to spread lies and misinformation -- there's not much use in us continuing this discussion. Please keep it constructive and recognize that I'm a human being sharing what I know about our development and programming processes.

In other news, I've seen plenty of suggestions in this thread for ways in which some people think we could more quickly resolve the current limitation. I just want to point out that virtually all of the suggestions I've read would have very similar technical hurdles to overcome, but would also be less desirable solutions. If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.

<3 Zarhym
85 Worgen Druid

So, let me understand you properly. You think changing the Warcraft mailing system to allow bind to account items to be sent to another server is more technically challenging than writing an entire new title?

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here.
Creating the system with the functionality already in place, and building everything around the idea that the functionality exists is indeed less time-consuming overall than creating the system without the functionality, building everything around that fact, and then years later having to go back and create the functionality, alter the code to make use of the functionality, fix those bugs that appeared all over the place because the code that they referred to in order to function has been heavily altered, gradually getting to and fixing more specific bugs until finally, finally, all the issues integrating the new code with the old have been ironed out.

You guys are still operating under the assumption that I mean "adding this feature to a game that hasn't been written yet" and that's not what I said at all.

What I said was we've seen a few games come out now that HR hadn't even begun to hire programmers for when we started talking about this feature, and now we've got entire games released before this one change could be made.

I agree with you, adding a feature when the code base hasn't been written yet is indeed much easier, but I'm talking about writing an entire game with hundreds of features, motion captured actors, millions of lines of code, audio samples, storyline and everything...while we're still waiting with baited breath to send boa items to other servers.

Really?

Edit: leaving before I say something really nasty and get banned.
Edited by Hydrax on 10/5/2011 2:01 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Zarhym
If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.
Translated for people who don't fully understand: a band-aid solution is not a good solution, even if it gets the product out faster.
1 Draenei Paladin
10/05/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Zarhym
If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.

We certainly understand this sentiment. It's just been multiple years since it was first talked about. It's hard to believe that the most successful MMO in history has to string their players along for that long before a goal is actually accomplished.
90 Dwarf Hunter
And it all boils down to simple fact ...blizzard opened it mouth at the wrong time and stated long ago that we will be able to mail BoA's cross realm.....now its stuck with the community and the community is getting tried of the same excuses over and over to why we still can't mail them to toons on other realms.....

one of the most simple solutions to this issue is when you buy a heirloom piece there is a in game code token attacked to it....that said token is then mailed to the new toon on the new realm said player wants to play on...much like how we get pets in our mailboxes on every realm we make a new toon on...those tokens then change to whichever class you make...so example...I want to make a warrior on X realm....so I have 5 pieces of warrior heirloom gear....once my warrior toon is made in the mail is 5 tokens when removed become the gear I own already on my battle net account....no need to mail the gear at all...that way if a player makes a mistake and deletes a token ....nothing is lost ...the original gear is still intact on mains realm.

But alas blizzard can't even see how simple it would be to do it this way...they want to keep our hopes and dreams up and kept charging us to transfer toons to other realms with the heirloom gear and they pocket all the money.
Edited by Mauserd on 10/5/2011 2:03 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
Trying to alter existing base design without breaking things is much more difficult and time-consuming than writing it from scratch.

Which is 99% of the problem with the software industry in general. They focus too directly on the core product and don't consider possible changes down the road.

The standard 16 slot back-pack being hard coded into the UI is a perfect example of that.

They do allow for changes down the road. But when implementing an idea that was never thought of in the beginning they need to see what they can do without messing up anything already there in the code. Of course they could just get one of them 8balls and use it when coding at the very outset.

We certainly understand this sentiment. It's just been multiple years since it was first talked about. It's hard to believe that the most successful MMO in history has to string their players along for that long before a goal is actually accomplished.

How long did it take them to get cross faction mailing? Quite awhile but they got it done and it works how it should.
Edited by Koronus on 10/5/2011 2:07 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Zar, you and the other CM's have said theres a Limitiation preventing this feature. can you describe the technical details of the limitation?
90 Pandaren Warrior
For those making honest suggestions or constructive comments on this topic, I thank you. Jumping out of line and tearing apart Blizzard or any of the other posters in this thread isn't cool.

I'm just stating the facts of our design intent and technical hurdles, folks. If you choose not to believe what I'm saying -- as if I'd enjoy spending this much time on a topic just to spread lies and misinformation -- there's not much use in us continuing this discussion. Please keep it constructive and recognize that I'm a human being sharing what I know about our development and programming processes.

In other news, I've seen plenty of suggestions in this thread for ways in which some people think we could more quickly resolve the current limitation. I just want to point out that virtually all of the suggestions I've read would have very similar technical hurdles to overcome, but would also be less desirable solutions. If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.

<3 Zarhym

Technical hurdles, as in you need to work on getting better hardware for it?

Or software hurdles, as in you havn't developed a way to add it into the functionality of the game.

Software is a system that uses technology, not the technology itself...
(Sorry to poke, after 15 years in some sort of IT field, this is a big pet peeve.)
Edited by Dorrell on 10/5/2011 2:05 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Hunter
10/05/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

I agree with Zarhym, I bet programmers have a hard time trying to do stuff to make the game better and some of you people are commenting non-sense things without even knowing what is truly behind those shiny stuff and what makes them glow.

I will admit that sometimes I would really like a feature where you can send your heirlooms across realms but some people just don't have that patient to wait for it they want it right now.
87 Worgen Druid
In this thread:people with no programming experience, or even knowledge, telling Blizzard how easy it is to just add features to a program.
90 Dwarf Hunter
10/05/2011 02:05 PMPosted by Feathercrown
In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

I agree with Zarhym, I bet programmers have a hard time trying to do stuff to make the game better and some of you people are commenting non-sense things without even knowing what is truly behind those shiny stuff and what makes them glow.

I will admit that sometimes I would really like a feature where you can send your heirlooms across realms but some people just don't have that patient to wait for it they want it right now.

Wait....they opened their mouths on doing this almost 3 yrs ago...so tell me how much longer do we have to wait......they can code in and mail to each and every new toon made all the pets...why can't they do the same with gear.....attach a simple code to the piece via a token...you have to have those pieces in order for that token to be generated on the new toons mail...just like our pets are on and every new toon I make..I can make new toons all day long on different realm and each time I have 5 pets automatically in my mail as soon as I log into that new toon.
87 Worgen Druid
10/05/2011 02:04 PMPosted by Sométhing
Zar, you and the other CM's have said theres a Limitiation preventing this feature. can you describe the technical details of the limitation?

There is no way Blizzard is going to reveal the technical secrets of how their systems work.
1 Draenei Paladin
10/05/2011 02:08 PMPosted by Pvpee
Not to beat a dead horse.. but I don't buy that a billion dollar company (or whatever Blizzard is valued, no clue tbh) cannot find a meaningful way to send Hierlooms across realms.

Exactly my point. If it were really a priority, it would have been done by now.
84 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 01:49 PMPosted by Hydrax
So, let me understand you properly. You think changing the Warcraft mailing system to allow bind to account items to be sent to another server is more technically challenging than writing an entire new title?

It's not harder than coding the entire game, but it'll take longer than if they however long the mailing system from scratch.

Like, say rift's guy coded mail in a month. Blizz's guy does the same thing. "woo, i'm done!". Then he realizes that the game crashes if you put a BoP item in the box, so he has to go add a check for that, in the code, etc. Stupid things like that.

And i mean, they probably have a lot more people/are getting paid a lot more to design the new stuff/game.

Exactly my point. If it were really a priority, it would have been done by now.

Well yeah. it's not the #1 priority. They've got Dragonsoul etc. It's one of those QoL things that people notice, but they're not getting subscriptions because of. So some other things take precedence.
Edited by Tyrazsun on 10/5/2011 2:13 PM PDT
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Kevyne
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

I bet you're one of those idiots who would say "Europe and Canada have free health care and it works, therefore USA should have it and the government is just making excuses or they have a reason not to have free health care".

Just because one system of games have a feature doesn't mean that same feature has the same technical limitations or setup in another set of games. You are completely oblivious to how the world works.
40 Draenei Hunter
IMO remove heirlooms altogether. They have ruined low lvl BGs. Entering any pvp at low levels is suicide if you don't have heirlooms. Players get literally 2-shot by heirloom-covered non-shaman/priest/warlock players. Srsly the game is easy enough without OP items. Please put in a +X% enchant or something, rather than imbalancing low level pvp and making questing even more boringly easy.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]