Heirlooms

100 Undead Death Knight
Not to beat a dead horse.. but I don't buy that a billion dollar company (or whatever Blizzard is valued, no clue tbh) cannot find a meaningful way to send Hierlooms across realms.

Exactly my point. If it were really a priority, it would have been done by now.
Which is why it likely isn't.

I don't recall Blizzard ever stating that it was "a priority", only that it was "on their list".

Basically everything ever is "on their list".
Edited by Frosthawk on 10/5/2011 2:13 PM PDT
6 Draenei Paladin
Not to beat a dead horse.. but I don't buy that a billion dollar company (or whatever Blizzard is valued, no clue tbh) cannot find a meaningful way to send Hierlooms across realms.

Exactly my point. If it were really a priority, it would have been done by now.

Going by that logic anyone should be able to read a book on neural biology and automatically be a renowned brain surgeon.
Edited by Meibatsu on 10/5/2011 2:15 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Priest
I just wanted to comment on the folks saying to just mail the BOAs to all new characters. I think the reason they do not want to do this is the folks with multiple accounts attached to their battle.net account. In essence, people will have an heirloom on two characters at once even though they only purchased one heirloom. So people are not limited to one character at a time and your solution presents a glaring oversight.
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/05/2011 02:10 PMPosted by Palaurus
Just because one system of games have a feature doesn't mean that same feature has the same technical limitations or setup in another set of games. You are completely oblivious to how the world works.

Actually, flagging an account for a purchased item is being done in game right now for the pets and mounts off the store.

The limitation is the software code in the reverse, as in our characters in game are buying this stuff, not us with our wallets.

So, there is no limitation for WoW atm to do this, they just havn't decided how to implement it and it's on the back burner. That's the only logical explanation.
84 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Zarhym
as if I'd enjoy spending this much time on a topic just to spread lies and misinformation --

No, that's Bashiok's job!

i kid, i kid.

... Don't tell him i said that. >.>

10/05/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Zarhym
I'm a human being

I have my doubts. Those 3 AM posting sessions... robot in disguise?

<3 Zarhym

<3 u too, qt. In a totally brotherly, noncreepy way.
Edited by Tyrazsun on 10/5/2011 2:17 PM PDT
85 Orc Warlock
10/05/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

You guys blew an incredible amount of development time on Cataclysm, for players new and old alike, to be able to experience the new leveling zones. But, your lack of progress on this BOA system has continued to contribute to players sitting idly in capital cities, doing nothing. I really don't want to level another toon. I've leveled more than I can honestly count now. But if I ever even had a small inclination to level again, I'm not doing it again without every advantage.

Cata's been out how long? I've not leveled a single alt this year, because it's still too time-consuming to go from 1-85 and restarting on a new realm is pulling teeth... plus this game sucks at anything that isn't max level. Blizzard insisted on remaking the leveling zones, so you should shower players in heirlooms as an incentive to even get us interested. You sure didn't get me interested in the raiding game this time. Just why am I paying a subscription fee again?

- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
I honestly don't buy the "It's a technical limitation" line. They can flag an account to have pets sent to each character when it's made, something similar can be done with BoA's, they just don't necessarily see it as important. "Technical Limitation" = "Not on our agenda"

What you're describing are two incredibly different mechanics which require very different technical solutions. Yes, we can mail you an item to every existing character on your Battle.net account. But purchasing a BoA item doesn't result in the item being mailed to your character; nor should it, as we're not going to mail every character a BoA item you've purchased on one character. The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I think it's hilarious that there's pages of idiots still posting their opinions about how they think the game works after this post. It's like a brick wall of truth suddenly appeared in front of a running crowd of lemmings and everyone still ranting that there is no technical limitation are the lemmings that keep ramming their head into that brick wall like the wall doesn't exist.

All the smarter lemmings, me included, stopped in front of this wall, climbed onto it, and sat on top, resting from the constant "running" (a.k.a. thinking Blizzard wasn't going to make the change). I personally stopped running a long time ago and recognized the fact that there is a heavy technical limitation and I just jogged with the crowd to see where it would lead. Now I'm on the wall of truth that Z created with the post I quoted, and I'm laughing at the dumb lemmings still running their heads into the wall.
90 Human Paladin
...say "Europe and Canada have free health care and it works, therefore USA should have it and the government is just making excuses or they have a reason not to have free health care".

That's a really, REALLY bad analogy, but it's a really good way to start a flamewar. :-)
100 Worgen Druid
Late to the thread. I only read a few posts and I am not sure if this has already been suggested.

If changing the mail system is a techincal issue, why change it. Create a new vendor similar to void storage and have that system communicate betwixt the nether and leave our realm mail alone. Bind to account items would be the only items permitted to be stored with the vendor. That should prevent a lot of the issues with reworking the mail system which was never intended to do cross-realm deliveries, let alone, limit those cross-realm transfers to one type of item.
1 Tauren Druid
And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

Blizzard has said they are working on this exact issue, that means that they consider it something that is possible ie. it can be coded. You are also noting other games that have this feature already (by the way.. given a completely different game the implementation of this could look VERY different.)

It isn't that Blizzard won't do it, it's that they haven't been able to roll that feature out YET. It could very well be a difficult process, and it will really depend on how many changes they have to make to the existing code. Note: it's much easier to design a game/program with a feature in mind and implement it than it is to go back and rewrite code that was NOT designed with that feature in mind. There's no logical way to show that just because one game has this feature that Blizzard must not have *wanted* it. More likely it is that Blizzard did not think of it sooner, and now here we are after it's been imagined and done elsewhere and they have a million other player expectations to juggle.. but they're not fast enough for you because they didn't design their game to allow cross-realm mail for BoA's before BoA's and cross-realm mail were even dreamed up.
85 Draenei Mage
. . . yes, but does the mechanics need to be different . . . . short answer: no.
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 02:15 PMPosted by Dorrell
Just because one system of games have a feature doesn't mean that same feature has the same technical limitations or setup in another set of games. You are completely oblivious to how the world works.

Actually, flagging an account for a purchased item is being done in game right now for the pets and mounts off the store.

The limitation is the software code in the reverse, as in our characters in game are buying this stuff, not us with our wallets.

So, there is no limitation for WoW atm to do this, they just havn't decided how to implement it and it's on the back burner. That's the only logical explanation.

BoA's come off of ingame vendors. Store items magically come through mail. Also, please show me your master's degree in game design or give some proof that you actually know how this game is designed. I myself am an armchair {insert professional name here} but at least I'm someone with common sense.
85 Undead Death Knight
Why not just create an Heirloom vendor at each of the starting zones that allows you to "Buy" (for like, no cost) heirlooms that you have actually purchased for actual currency (honor, gold, etc.). Maybe make an heirloom type void storage that keeps track of all the heirlooms you currently own, and all of those items would be available for purchase at this starting zone heirloom vendor.
100 Dwarf Hunter
10/05/2011 02:23 PMPosted by Palaurus

BoA's come off of ingame vendors. Store items magically come through mail. Also, please show me your master's degree in game design or give some proof that you actually know how this game is designed. I myself am an armchair {insert professional name here} but at least I'm someone with common sense.

Funny how one of my pets that gets mailed to me on every new toon I make is a battlebot pet....which when was offered it was on Mt Dews web site not blizzards....even the fuel was mailed to me from Mt Dews web site when I was able to get it.
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2011 02:23 PMPosted by Palaurus

Also, as I was saying earlier, people with multiple WoW accounts on their battle.net account will have an advantage because they can create 2 characters and play both. So both characters would end up having the BOA gear with your solution. This goes against the design which is one BOA item for a set amount of JP.
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 02:20 PMPosted by Kerk
...say "Europe and Canada have free health care and it works, therefore USA should have it and the government is just making excuses or they have a reason not to have free health care".

That's a really, REALLY bad analogy, but it's a really good way to start a flamewar. :-)

It's the perfect analogy. Let me make it simpler for you:

some other game system that can move items between servers = free healthcare (choose your country)

cross-realm BoA transfer = USA's healthcare

You can't simply "turn something on" and expect it to work. In terms of the BoAs, there is nothing to turn on, or "flag", or anything. Everyone has been told time and time again that cross-realm mailing of account-bound items is not an easy thing, and they are still whining about it, like their parents telling them they can't do something and they're just throwing a tantrum now.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]