Heirlooms

90 Tauren Paladin
I am not entirely sure where to put this, so I will post it here and hope it gets moved to the appropriate forum.

On the subject of people wanting to transfer BoA-Heirloom items to other servers without having to pay transfer fees, why not just do something like this (Which would save a lot of coding time I would think):

Currently how the system works, is you purchase an item from the heirloom vendor with Justice Points and you have access to that item on that server only unless of course you transfer a character with it.

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account. You would have a vendor in each major city that then sells the BoA items (that have been unlocked) to new characters on any server for that account for free/1c so players may join their friends on other servers with accelerated leveling (because if we own BoA items we don't want to level slowly, ever) without having to worry about paying $25 every time a friend plays on another server.

This presumably wouldn't put any excess load on the character database since there is already a cap of 50 characters per account.

This would save the dev team from having to write code to link every server in a global mailing service.

What do others think?

Just my $0.02

I refuse to approve any suggestion from somebody who comes from a PvE server, and spent justice points to buy heirlooms when honor heirlloms are better for the pvpers.

Totally unnecessary. An heirloom is an heirloom. Also, you seem like one of those high-and-mighty #@*!s that still hate Blizzard for allowing cross faction characters or allowing transfers from PvE to PvP servers. Get over yourself.
90 Goblin Priest
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item.

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

Is there potentially code for Unique-Account (x)?

If so, character A purchases one heirloom helmet credit/unlock for the account making the helmet Unique-Account (1). Character B acquires it. Character C finds that when attempting to purchase the helm an error pops up that reads "You already have the maximum allowed for your account for that item." Character A purchases another credit making the item Unique-Account (2). Character C rejoices.

Maybe this bypasses having to create an "exception to the mail system." It also seems to satisfy the 2 requirements mentioned, but without the mailbox.
Edited by Hyperes on 10/5/2011 2:34 PM PDT
85 Troll Shaman
I seem to remember a feature from the diablo 1 expansion that allowed you to place 1 item with a vendor and you could then retrieve that item from any other character. This may have only worked in single player it has been a while. I was thinking that a feature like that might be a nice solution to this current problem. A very small guild bank like feature which will work for the entire account some how restricting that boa items cant be removed regardless of the server while perhaps other items could only be withdrawn from the same server that deposited them. There may need to be more restrictions, but an account bank would be a nice feature that I would greatly enjoy.
90 Goblin Hunter
10/05/2011 02:15 PMPosted by Terroscus
I think the reason they do not want to do this is the folks with multiple accounts attached to their battle.net account. In essence, people will have an heirloom on two characters at once even though they only purchased one heirloom.

Bind-on-Account -SHOULD- be Bind-on-ProductKey -NOT- Bind-on-Battle.netAccount
90 Tauren Paladin

BoA's come off of ingame vendors. Store items magically come through mail. Also, please show me your master's degree in game design or give some proof that you actually know how this game is designed. I myself am an armchair {insert professional name here} but at least I'm someone with common sense.

Funny how one of my pets that gets mailed to me on every new toon I make is a battlebot pet....which when was offered it was on Mt Dews web site not blizzards....even the fuel was mailed to me from Mt Dews web site when I was able to get it.

Guess how they got stuff to show up in your ingame mail? Through some code Blizzard gave to them to tie into Blizzard's system. MtDew didn't do anything external at all. It's EXACTLY how product websites use PayPal. PayPal has code a site can embed that brings the customer into PayPal with product info from that previous site.
90 Undead Death Knight
Z completely brushed aside the idea of Unlocking the item... I earned the right to use my BoA item. You told me it was bind on account thus, all of my characters can use said item so why not make it an unlock?

Why dont you guys just admit you like the money you get from the Server Transfers more than you like the idea of actually fixing a mistake on an item called Bind on ACCOUNT. Sorry, but it's not bind on account if I have to pay $25 to haul it around, it should be renamed: 'Bound to $25'
No.

Seriously, look up "bind" in the dictionary.

The only thing being advertised by the tag on the item is the fact that you can't trade the item to someone of another account.

There's no "mistake", but rather a bunch of people with poor reading comprehension insisting that they were promised a feature NOW when nothing of the sort actually happened.
Edited by Frosthawk on 10/5/2011 2:38 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/05/2011 02:26 PMPosted by Palaurus
You can't simply "turn something on" and expect it to work. In terms of the BoAs, there is nothing to turn on, or "flag", or anything. Everyone has been told time and time again that cross-realm mailing of account-bound items is not an easy thing, and they are still whining about it, like their parents telling them they can't do something and they're just throwing a tantrum now.

/sigh, but there is...

The pets have an obvious BOA flag that allows them to be toggled to a yes/no on an account. This is how we get them in game.

All that would have to be done is the inverse with a limited number of creates, rather than infinite.

IE: I buy a BOA piece from the vendor. Rather than getting a token to mail, it's placed on my battle.net account. On that account page, I can see everything that I can force mail to a character. (Pets, mounts, and BOA gear) Player toggle that to a created character, limited number of creates for BOA gear.

What would need to be created? An account level page on the web site linked to everything your account has active and the number of available sends to characters in-game, and a transmit to the account from in the game to show that something was purchased in the game.

Benefits to this, players can choose what pets and mounts get sent, rather than the mail spam at character creation. Blizzard would also be able to sell BOA gear for real money off their in-game store if they so choose to. (I know not everyone will like that...)

Yes, what I've typed is easier said than done, however, the system for doing so is already partially in the game. This is something that many other games, especially all of the FTP ones have implemented.
90 Human Mage
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

Perhaps it would be better to be able to "duplicate" BoAs once you buy them. Then you don't have to worry about deleting them with a character (thus taking GM time to replace), looking through all your characters bags/banks to mail them to your new alt, etc. What if I wanted to level say, 2 rogue at once? Should I really have to buy BoAs for both of them?

I feel it would be better just to be able to duplicate BoAs and get them for any toon as they are needed (once you buy them once, of course), rather than worrying about re-buying them (for the said reasons above, or when you transfer your Rogue alt off your server with all your leather BoAs and not being able to use them for a different toon (Like me)).
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Ocon
But changing Bind on Account to Bind on Product Key won't magically make it work.

Programmers now have to extend the gear system with another level of boundedness.

Soulbound = Bound to the character
Account bound = Bound to your characters on that realm
Product key bound = Bound to all characters attached to account with the product key <your PK here>

All the rules and behaviors (mailing a BoPK, transmog, enchanting, etc) now have to be defined and implemented (with code) by programmers. That doesn't make the job easier. It's just another way to achieve cross-realm heirlooms.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Z completely brushed aside the idea of Unlocking the item... I earned the right to use my BoA item. You told me it was bind on account thus, all of my characters can use said item so why not make it an unlock?

Why dont you guys just admit you like the money you get from the Server Transfers more than you like the idea of actually fixing a mistake on an item called Bind on ACCOUNT. Sorry, but it's not bind on account if I have to pay $25 to haul it around, it should be renamed: 'Bound to $25'

Me thinks you hit the nail on the head with this statement....they opened their mouths almost 3 yrs ago and now regret doing so with issue of boa's and sending them cross realm...now its come back to haunt them...thus forcing players if they really want to play on another realm they will fork out that 25 dollars to do so...that is what blizzard doesn't want to lose ...that extra income.
90 Tauren Paladin

He didn't do anything close to brushing it aside. He hit that subject dead on. Blizzard does NOT intend AT ALL to make heirlooms "unlockable". Heirloom items are just that, ITEMS. When you buy them ingame, you buy THAT SINGLE ITEM. That's where the whole technical problem comes in. Making the ability to mail items from server to server, which currently does not exist in any shape or form. The server databases are not even remotely connected. In b4 you or some other idiot saying something about battle.net friends/chat/party, which is completely different.
90 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 02:37 PMPosted by Dorrell
You can't simply "turn something on" and expect it to work. In terms of the BoAs, there is nothing to turn on, or "flag", or anything. Everyone has been told time and time again that cross-realm mailing of account-bound items is not an easy thing, and they are still whining about it, like their parents telling them they can't do something and they're just throwing a tantrum now.

/sigh, but there is...

The pets have an obvious BOA flag that allows them to be toggled to a yes/no on an account. This is how we get them in game.

All that would have to be done is the inverse with a limited number of creates, rather than infinite.

IE: I buy a BOA piece from the vendor. Rather than getting a token to mail, it's placed on my battle.net account. On that account page, I can see everything that I can force mail to a character. (Pets, mounts, and BOA gear) Player toggle that to a created character, limited number of creates for BOA gear.

What would need to be created? An account level page on the web site linked to everything your account has active and the number of available sends to characters in-game, and a transmit to the account from in the game to show that something was purchased in the game.

Benefits to this, players can choose what pets and mounts get sent, rather than the mail spam at character creation. Blizzard would also be able to sell BOA gear for real money off their in-game store if they so choose to. (I know not everyone will like that...)

Yes, what I've typed is easier said than done, however, the system for doing so is already partially in the game. This is something that many other games, especially all of the FTP ones have implemented.

That sounds like a great idea. Have some interactive account page to transfer items instead of connecting the mail systems. Still a huge technical hurtle. Nothing players suggest will make cross-realm heirlooms an easier task.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
As I said in the beginning of this thread, there is no monetary reason for them to get this feature fixed anytime soon.

In fact, they have two choices:

1) Pay techs and programmers to figure out how to do it. And, according to Blizz, it's not a simple solution, so it's likely to consume plenty of time and effort.

Or...

2) Set it aside, let the players pay for character transfers, thus making money instead of spending it.

I think you're all making the issue far more complicated than it needs to be.
90 Goblin Hunter
10/05/2011 02:37 PMPosted by Fanahlia
But changing Bind on Account to Bind on Product Key won't magically make it work.

Programmers now have to extend the gear system with another level of boundedness.

Product key bound = Bound to all characters attached to account with the product key <your PK here>

All the rules and behaviors (mailing a BoPK, transmog, enchanting, etc) now have to be defined and implemented (with code) by programmers. That doesn't make the job easier. It's just another way to achieve cross-realm heirlooms.

I think you have your "Account bound" a little misunderstood. Account-Bound gives the unmistakeable idea that the item in question is in fact transferable anywhere on the ACCOUNT, therefore Account Bound = Product Key Bound (in an Anti-Multi-Boxer effort)
90 Undead Death Knight
10/05/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Ocon

I think you have your "Account bound" a little misunderstood. Account-Bound gives the unmistakeable idea that the item in question is in fact transferable anywhere on the ACCOUNT, therefore Account Bound = Product Key Bound (in an Anti-Multi-Boxer effort)
It communicates the idea that the item is NOT transferable OFF the account.

Hence, "bound", "tied down" "restricted", various other synonyms.
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/05/2011 02:42 PMPosted by Palaurus

/sigh, but there is...

That sounds like a great idea. Have some interactive account page to transfer items instead of connecting the mail systems. Still a huge technical hurtle. Nothing players suggest will make cross-realm heirlooms an easier task.

Nothing technical about it.

It's a matter of using the exsisting pet/mount Blizzard store/account association software to work in reverse with something purchased in-game.

From a technical standpoint, we already have data storage allocated for our characters and account core data, and the history of purchased items. All that would need to be done is an interface page to represent that purchased data, and a player driven toggle to send it to a specific character.

There is NOTHING technical about any of that, it's all data and file table manipulation and giving it an interface for the consumer to use on the account level.

Like I said, the only real new software coding that would need to be created from scratch is the "buy it in game, flags available sends on account" ftp.
90 Draenei Hunter
well BoA means Binds on Account it doesnt say Binds on Realm... see the difference.
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Ocon
I was speaking about account bound as it presently is implemented in the game. Bind on Account items at present only work between characters on one realm, even though the bound type implies differently.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]