Heirlooms

15 Tauren Paladin
I do believe a better option is out there .
I have read 3 options that are very good already !

10/05/2011 01:58 PMPosted by Zarhym
In other news, I've seen plenty of suggestions in this thread for ways in which some people think we could more quickly resolve the current limitation. I just want to point out that virtually all of the suggestions I've read would have very similar technical hurdles to overcome, but would also be less desirable solutions. If we're putting time into truly making BoA items account-wide, we want to do it right.
the point is being missed here .We have earned the right to use the boa items in earnign and purchaseing the items alread .I have almost every boa avaliable on my acct . Why do i have to earn them multiple times .Spending money to transfer toons carrying boas is not an acceptable option to me as a customer . I do believe a better option is out there . I have read 3 options that are very good already

We shouldnt have to earn them mutiple times. Once earned you should be able to reaquire them at the vendor for no cost on any toon on any server.
Edited by Abrax on 10/5/2011 3:51 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
Blizzard says its a technical problem and it may be, but if they did make it to where people could mail across servers they would lose paid character transfers. The loss even if its a little is less profit and i don't think they will do anything that cuts profits.
85 Human Mage
I dont know anything about the technical side of it but I think something to do w/ void storage might work. Like having a few select slots that can ONLY have boa items put into that appear to all characters you make on all realms.
85 Draenei Hunter
I see what the GM is saying but i dont see why they cant just make it so if we want to send it to say Farstriders from Area 52 we would just type in like Salamandra@Farstriders and there u go it is sent. or even put in a shared back that the whole account shares and can hold like 10 items at once. They r Bind to Account Items not Bind to Realm and Account Items. I also think that if they would do this they would be making alot of poeple happy and there for would keep alot more accounts instead of losing them.

10/05/2011 03:51 PMPosted by Ixamxmooxcow
Blizzard says its a technical problem and it may be, but if they did make it to where people could mail across servers they would lose paid character transfers. The loss even if its a little is less profit and i don't think they will do anything that cuts profits.

While I find that funny, I have to disagree. They charge for char transfers mainly to keep people from abusing that privlage.
3 Draenei Priest
They've had enough time to fix this. Obviously its not very high on their priority list.
86 Tauren Death Knight
How about it's like 25 per piece because your starting off on a new realm and BTW I like your idea.
85 Human Paladin
It would be easy to limit items mailed across realms to BoA items only. This can be done with a separate mail tab. Currently there are two tabs ... inbox .. and send. Add a third tab for BoA mail service. Only BoA items can be placed in the attach item box. Have drop down boxes for realm and character selections, for ease of use.
15 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 03:57 PMPosted by Alandryn
They've had enough time to fix this. Obviously its not very high on their priority list.

Compared to SC2 expansions, Real ID, WoW patches/expansions, and Diablo 3? Correct!
100 Worgen Druid
10/05/2011 03:54 PMPosted by Ðärthvãdèr
I dont know anything about the technical side of it but I think something to do w/ void storage might work. Like having a few select slots that can ONLY have boa items put into that appear to all characters you make on all realms.

I was thinking the same thing, but void storage is already programmed to be character exclusive.

The do have experience with a shared stash (diablo 3)

Just make a Battle.Net storage.
You have a max of XX slots and can transfer the stuff between any account on the battle.net account.

Battle.net account bound wow pets could be transfered to diablo3 characters and such. Who knows, maybe the heirloom gear could scale and be usable (with appropriate stats and a very low level cut off) in diablo and other future games.

Battle.Net storage..... Make it Happen !!!!
15 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 04:00 PMPosted by Kurtiskain
It would be easy to limit items mailed across realms to BoA items only. This can be done with a separate mail tab. Currently there are two tabs ... inbox .. and send. Add a third tab for BoA mail service. Only BoA items can be placed in the attach item box. Have drop down boxes for realm and character selections, for ease of use.

Except for the fact that the whole problem stems from the fact that servers are incapable of communicating with one another, and that's the issue that needs to be resolved.
100 Worgen Druid
10/05/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Rengitsu
I see what the GM is saying but i dont see why they cant just make it so if we want to send it to say Farstriders from Area 52 we would just type in like Salamandra@Farstriders and there u go it is sent. or even put in a shared back that the whole account shares and can hold like 10 items at once. They r Bind to Account Items not Bind to Realm and Account Items. I also think that if they would do this they would be making alot of poeple happy and there for would keep alot more accounts instead of losing them.

Simplified.

The Mail system is not linked to other realms and its base programming was never intended to be. It would take time to reprogram the entire mail system.

That being said, once they did program a new mail system, would have to decide on what items and limitations to put on such a mail system. Then you still have to look at all the potential side effects of the transfer from mail 1.0 to mail 2.0. You are looking at the possibility of losing mail for 12 million customers and multiply that by how many toons each person has......

Its not as easy as "you could just"
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I dont logically understand why a reward that is 'bound on account' is even an actual physical item. The idea that you 'unlock' a BoA makes a lot of sense. In SC2, you 'unlock' things, you dont have a tangible item you float around. It would make sense that if you have unlocked a BoA, you would then be able to access it through the character sheet pull out menus. After all, its bound to account. The idea of having to keep mailing items back and forth sounds so fundamentally flawed, time consuming, and inefficient. Why do you need us to log into 6 characters to go searching for a few BoAs? Its just so messy. Compound that with the fact you want to have these items floating around between servers now... boggles the mind why the system would work in such a way.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
2 Troll Mage

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

Since you don't want to duplicate items and instead have 1 single boa for every boa purchase, why not make a boa bank, kinda like a guild bank, but it's for your account. You can place only boa items(or other items if you'd like it to be more interesting) into the boa bank that each character on your account has access to, regardless of faction or realm? Once the item is removed from the boa bank on one character, it is no longer available for another character.

To me this sounds easier to implement than trying to enable people to mail items across realms, but I have no idea how you guys code your game.
Edited by Iusemana on 10/5/2011 4:13 PM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
I'd considered OP's suggestion before, and I really did like it - but Zarhym makes a pretty strong point regarding the nature of BoA acquisition and the importance of preserving that (i.e., you buy one instance of an item, not general access to any number of instances).

It does seem like adding a special corner case for the mail system is the way to go. And sure, as has been suggested, there can be some clever syntax like "Foobar@Illidan" for the destination address; that is not the difficult problem at all.

Pure speculation: The difficult problem is making the mail code aware of battle.net and then also making it aware of a newly developed, battle.net-facilitated protocol for transferring and synchronizing item ownership between two physically separate and independently operated databases, while retaining fault tolerance, efficiency, and data consistency.

Of course in the eyes of non-developers, every problem can be solved with two lines of code that a junior intern could write. :D
85 Human Death Knight
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

The special pets already do this. I don't even care about losing enchants, would there really be balance issues of people having duplicate heirlooms across realms?
Edited by Jhelom on 10/5/2011 4:13 PM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
10/05/2011 04:11 PMPosted by Iusemana
Since you don't want to duplicate items and instead have 1 single boa for every boa purchase, why not make a boa bank, kinda like a guild bank, but it's for your account. You can place only boa items(or other items if you'd like it to be more interesting) into the boa bank that each character on your account has access to, regardless of faction or realm? Once the item is removed from the boa bank on one character, it is no longer available for another character.

This is certainly a clever idea, but it's no less of a hurdle to overcome. Now instead of battle.net support for item transfer, you need battle.net support for item storage. It's at least as hard to implement and it would definitely consume more resources.
85 Orc Death Knight
The special pets are sent explicitly through an external system that presumably injects the items into the mail database when a purchase is made (or whatever the case may be).

This is not the same thing, because it is actually a transfer of ownership of a single item between two separate realms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]