Heirlooms

i just want them to be a little bit cheaper
86 Human Warlock
The special pets are usable by all...Create this system and all of your toons would get that cloth chest you just bought...or those mail shoulders. See those are useless to the classes who do not use them. Making the act of sending them useless.
2 Troll Mage
10/05/2011 04:13 PMPosted by Putty
Since you don't want to duplicate items and instead have 1 single boa for every boa purchase, why not make a boa bank, kinda like a guild bank, but it's for your account. You can place only boa items(or other items if you'd like it to be more interesting) into the boa bank that each character on your account has access to, regardless of faction or realm? Once the item is removed from the boa bank on one character, it is no longer available for another character.

This is certainly a clever idea, but it's no less of a hurdle to overcome. Now instead of battle.net support for item transfer, you need battle.net support for item storage. It's at least as hard to implement and it would definitely consume more resources.

From a user standpoint, I feel like it would be easier for players to grasp this idea instead of having to type the name of an alt and the realm, I feel like there would still be some players who would struggle with that.
85 Human Paladin
10/05/2011 04:01 PMPosted by Holyfrikncow
Except for the fact that the whole problem stems from the fact that servers are incapable of communicating with one another, and that's the issue that needs to be resolved.

The drop down boxes for realm selection are for the execution of database querries. Transferring an item from one database to another is simple. The realms need not communicate.
Transfer item = set flag new realm/new char mail pending, set db entry with item ID. remove item from original character old realm / old char
Actual technique is much more involved ... think of this as sort of pseudocode.
85 Orc Death Knight
I think one of the "easier" solutions would be to require an account to be logged out to transfer items cross-realm, and provide a battle.net web interface for transferring the items. But that doesn't feel like the "right" solution.

...And in reality most of the savings with respect to mail system development costs would probably offset by web front-end development costs... /sigh
85 Orc Death Knight
10/05/2011 04:17 PMPosted by Kurtiskain

And therein lies the problem :)
58 Troll Death Knight
Ok folks time for some learnin'

The way the game servers work is that they each derive information from their OWN database.

Those data sources, the server itself and even instances are ALL part of a localized and non communicative system. IE they can only receive actions done to them and actions they do, but THEY CANNOT cause actions to OTHER SERVERS.

"but but character transfers!"

NO NO, character transfers are handled by a separate, yet linked system that DL the data for your character and MOVES it to another realm/faction.

Could this be used to transfer BoAs across realm, yes it could but it would be slightly more complicated than just a character pull, they would have to be told the specific character and how to get the information that, your character OWNS an heirloom.

BUT the second part that ALL of the people who still dont understand will argue "its just programming" is that the MAIL system is consolidated through the servers and is not connected to any external communication system whatsoever.

"but but blizz store pets!"

NO NO, Those pets, mounts and items are setup VIA another external system that sets and account flag that activates that item in your mailbag for your characters on your account.

Could a combo of this be used to get heirlooms accross?
Possibly, but as of right now there is no IN GAME way to do it, SO the current needed process aside from a "gear transfer" service, would be to character transfer it.

"blah blah blah, we have BGs and RDF groups, they are connected with server connuncations!"

NO not really, the game can allow a player to zone to "an instance" which is a separate "Server" that loads a bg or a dungeon, even a raid. This instance can be told that your character is going to load into it and all character data you travel with can be used there.

"cant we use that method to transfer heirlooms?"

Only if you can be in two places at once, it could conceivably allow a player access to a "mailbox" that is instanced cross server, but because mailboxes are currently implemented pretty deeply to be attached to the players who use then and therefore, their realms, it still requires a technical "hurdle" to overcome.

Stop beating dead horses.
Start using the search function and actually READING things that are talked about.
Stop posting suggestions that are the same suggestions that have already been posted.

Stop complaining and start thinking!
85 Goblin Priest

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm...

With enough Paid Character Transfers (at $25/ea) you are unlocking access to a BoA item which is essentially being duplicated for ever character on an account. And that's where a lot of the frustration over "technical limitations" is coming from.

Now for my proposed solution:
At the character selection screen include an option for "Heirloom Character". This option is enabled after at least 1 character on the battle.net account has reached max level (similar to rolling a DK). With this option on, your character starts out with a full set of heirloom gear of the appropriate armor type. Armor types with multiple sets (e.g. melee/caster druids) can get both sets, one worn, one in bags/bank/mail.
I can't decide how to deal with weapons; it might be kinda fun to leave them on a JP vendor to keep some perks for staying on the same server.

15 Tauren Paladin
Except for the fact that the whole problem stems from the fact that servers are incapable of communicating with one another, and that's the issue that needs to be resolved.

The drop down boxes for realm selection are for the execution of database querries. Transferring an item from one database to another is simple. The realms need not communicate.
Transfer item = set flag new realm/new char mail pending, set db entry with item ID. remove item from original character old realm / old char

Except that the servers would NEED to communicate to complete the transaction. Your "solution" is probably close to what they want to do, but they still need to implement a system to allow the mail systems to connect to do the transaction.
Edited by Holyfrikncow on 10/5/2011 4:29 PM PDT
15 Tauren Paladin
Ok folks time for some learnin'

The way the game servers work is that they each derive information from their OWN database.

Those data sources, the server itself and even instances are ALL part of a localized and non communicative system. IE they can only receive actions done to them and actions they do, but THEY CANNOT cause actions to OTHER SERVERS.

"but but character transfers!"

NO NO, character transfers are handled by a separate, yet linked system that DL the data for your character and MOVES it to another realm/faction.

Could this be used to transfer BoAs across realm, yes it could but it would be slightly more complicated than just a character pull, they would have to be told the specific character and how to get the information that, your character OWNS an heirloom.

BUT the second part that ALL of the people who still dont understand will argue "its just programming" is that the MAIL system is consolidated through the servers and is not connected to any external communication system whatsoever.

"but but blizz store pets!"

NO NO, Those pets, mounts and items are setup VIA another external system that sets and account flag that activates that item in your mailbag for your characters on your account.

Could a combo of this be used to get heirlooms accross?
Possibly, but as of right now there is no IN GAME way to do it, SO the current needed process aside from a "gear transfer" service, would be to character transfer it.

"blah blah blah, we have BGs and RDF groups, they are connected with server connuncations!"

NO not really, the game can allow a player to zone to "an instance" which is a separate "Server" that loads a bg or a dungeon, even a raid. This instance can be told that your character is going to load into it and all character data you travel with can be used there.

"cant we use that method to transfer heirlooms?"

Only if you can be in two places at once, it could conceivably allow a player access to a "mailbox" that is instanced cross server, but because mailboxes are currently implemented pretty deeply to be attached to the players who use then and therefore, their realms, it still requires a technical "hurdle" to overcome.

Stop beating dead horses.
Start using the search function and actually READING things that are talked about.
Stop posting suggestions that are the same suggestions that have already been posted.

Stop complaining and start thinking!

THANK YOU!!!
Treebiter has it dead on. This is actually a much more difficult problem than the non-programmers in this thread could understand. And the programmers who think they could do it need to go back to university and actually listen in the courses on software architecture and design. Of course the Blizzard developers could write a hack to make this work. Probably in only a few days of developer time. However it would be buggy, liable to break with every single patch, probably occasionally lose heirlooms altogether, block other changes to the mail system, etc. Or they could do it *right*.

Heirlooms can be moved on a paid character transfer. If you're THAT desperate to get them onto another server, make a level 1 alt, mail them all the heirlooms, pay the cost. It's an effective workaround until Blizzard have time to write a solution that actually works.
85 Draenei Paladin
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Hi there, I would like to ask why not (in the most humble tone of course).

We are separate by "realms". Ideally we shall exist in the same Universe of Warcraft. Realms are servers. But these toons are still played by the same person behind them. IMHO, items should be able to be mailed across factions, across realms. If I have already got one blacksmith character, why would I want to level another blacksmith just because I have rolled a different faction on a PvE server, or rolled a different toon on a different realm?

I think Diablo III has implemented something like a common bag space for all the characters? Sure they are more "advanced" than WoW (actually not so sure because DBIII seems to take a long time to develop as well). But it is something WoW should consider.

Please? Just consider?
85 Human Paladin
Except that the servers would NEED to communicate to complete the transaction. Your "solution" is probably close to what they want to do, but they still need to connect to do the transaction.

True. However ... the servers are capable of communicating, they perhapse do not. The capability is there. If I can access each server, then logically, they can access each other.

The "mailing" does not have to occur as a message transfer ... simply a change in stored data initiated by remote querries from one DB server to another .. this would have the full effect and appearance of items being actually mailed by message, but is much simpler and lower on bandwidth requirements.
When this feature is eventually public, would it also accept cross faction mailing? So we could transfer over realms and factions?
85 Orc Death Knight
10/05/2011 04:41 PMPosted by Damareth
When this feature is eventually public, would it also accept cross faction mailing? So we could transfer over realms and factions?

I think that would be a fair assumption. Cross-faction heirloom mailing is already implemented between characters on the same realm.
15 Tauren Paladin
True. However ... the servers are capable of communicating, they perhapse do not. The capability is there. If I can access each server, then logically, they can access each other.

Now you know that's a huge assumption... being able to independently access two different servers in no way implies that those separate servers can communicate with one another.

10/05/2011 04:33 PMPosted by Kurtiskain
The "mailing" does not have to occur as a message transfer ... simply a change in stored data initiated by remote querries from one DB server to another .. this would have the full effect and appearance of items being actually mailed by message, but is much simpler and lower on bandwidth requirements.

But the databases are also separate and cannot currently do any communicating to one another.

Believe me, I get what you're saying, and I think Blizzard is going to end up doing exactly what you're proposing, but they still have some hurdles to clear.
15 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 05:08 PMPosted by Annwyd
Inb4 BOA's get lost in the cross-server mail because a toon on a completely different server has the same name as the one you're trying to mail your stuff to.

You wouldn't be able to do this... they are bound to your account, you would be unable to send heirloom items to any characters not on your account.
90 Human Paladin
I say take out boa's period and make the increased exp gained another way. Boy do I miss twinking this pally in BC every 10 levels from 19 when you only had one chance at getting the good gear because there was no exp stopping.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]