Heirlooms

15 Tauren Paladin
Hello all,

Zarhym here again. :)

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen, I stopped by Ghostcrawler's office to discuss this and other topics with him. We talked about some of the feedback in this thread, as well as the developers' latest thoughts on BoA and heirloom items.

Rather than potentially having my statements in this thread come back to bite me at some point in the future, I'm going to risk being confusing or sounding dumb. :p

In short, they agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information I can share at the moment, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy I stated earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.

First off, hope you're okay... a doctor visit that requires a blood sample can't be too good.

Secondly, I hope whatever solution you guys eventually enable will maintain the requirement that your characters are limited in use to the number of items actually paid for in honor/JP.

Third, I hope that the items will remain unique in that if they are enchanted, they maintain their enchants across whatever transfer mechanism is used.

If not, then remove any references to the gear being "heirlooms"... if you're not sending/transferring/teleporting/migrating the same item around, then it's not an heirloom anymore.

edit: you realize that you've just opened the floodgate to a ton of these same kinds of threads until whatever solution you come up with goes live, right?
Edited by Holyfrikncow on 10/5/2011 6:21 PM PDT
85 Goblin Death Knight
Well they are discussing it right now <3
anyway I'm not really that bothered w/ mailing coz when I buy boa's for my toon I intend to level it all the way to atleast 70(northrend lvling reeeeeaaally sucks thank got for the buff) so mailing 4 pieces of gear is almost negligible... what can be frustrating would be if you are making a toon and think " now where did I put that axe?" well since I'm too lazy to get bag addon I'm excited for the bag search they're putting.
85 Night Elf Hunter
This will be wonderful. As long as I can send it to my horde alts on another server I'll be happy. :)
Edited by Avenlei on 10/5/2011 6:21 PM PDT
85 Goblin Hunter
Hey another non-technical person who can't seem to understand how damn complex this game is and threw out some buzzwords he read on the internet to get a blue response.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, look at that. The squeaky wheel got some grease.

Glad to see that minds can be changed with enough persuasion.
84 Night Elf Druid
Hello all,

So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen, I stopped by Ghostcrawler's office to discuss this and other topics with him. We talked about some of the feedback in this thread, as well as the developers' latest thoughts on BoA and heirloom items.

Rather than potentially having my statements in this thread come back to bite me at some point in the future, I'm going to risk being confusing or sounding dumb. :p

In short, they agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea I stated in this thread about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information I can share at the moment, but I feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy I stated earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.

Oh you tease.

Now i HAVE to know... D:

edit:

Sorry about the doctor thing, i hope you're ok! (we didn't make your blood pressure rise that much, did we? :P).j/k

we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. I apologize if I've caused any confusion.

I wish you did this more often. I know it looks silly, but i'd rather have the info. Thanks for putting yourself out there.

You might think it makes you look embarrasing, but i think quite the opposite happened. Some idiots will QQ (don't they always?), but better fixed than ignored/forgotten!

<33

Appreciate being kept in the loop, even at personal expense. FWIW, it definitely looks good from a public relations view. :D

Edited by Tyrazsun on 10/5/2011 6:53 PM PDT
85 Orc Hunter
10/05/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Zarhym

Thanks for clarifying your approach to the situation (I bet that post was fun to write /pat ). Seeing how they, Blizzard's design staff, are open to ideas that might change the mechanics of heirloom items, I would like to reiterate something that has already been mentioned a few times:

Basically, have a way of "unlocking" an item. Then, in the character equip tab, have a way of "dragging" heirloom items to your slots. When inspecting someone, they would still appear to be "equipping" an item, but the user would then be able to "place" an item over the heirloom item and it would disappear. You could always go back to the Heirloom Tab in the Character Equip page to re-equip it if needed.
85 Troll Hunter
10/05/2011 06:03 PMPosted by Nitelf
I really hate keeping track of my Boas its a pain in the butt to have to log on to 9 different characters just to find 1 boa that you need. ( to date i have 30+ boas so it takes me a long time to get organized) I also dont like switching to a different realm to play with friends and not having any boas because they are all on the other realm. So, boas can be really helpful but they can also be a pain in the butt to keep track of. :P

I spent 2 hours last night searching 3 accounts all linked to the same battle.net account looking for a boa item. This led to much bank and mail cleaning, which was needed anyways, but I nearly had to submit a GM ticket which would have consumed other resources to clear things up.

I have to keep a text file out of game to keep track of what I have purchased and where I have sent it. If things get hectic or I forget to update it, this sort of chaos ensues.

An alternative system would be welcome and prevent much GM intervention -- hopefully it respected battle.net "account wide."
100 Tauren Druid
Hmm, this sounds like avoiding the entire technical hurdle of battle.net and mailing very specific items.

Hello all,

31 Orc Warrior

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm.

You know how some vendors have a 'special item' that indicates they have (1) or (2) in stock. The OP's idea could work in this fashion, you have the credit of (x) number of BoA items from this vendor for all your toons (depending on what your main has purchased) but once a toon receives the item from the vendor, its no longer available or 'in stock' until it is purchased again from another toon on your account. Basically working how they do now but rather then gaining the item on the toon you buy it your stocking your own personal, cross-realm heirloom bank i guess.
Blizzard Employee
10/05/2011 06:22 PMPosted by Huesos
This is the reason why GC should come back to the forums, so you guys can stop playing as Devs

No, this was my fault. I'm not playing developer. I'm being a community manager by speaking to you on behalf of the company. He's being a designer by helping develop this game, which doesn't give him the time to play community manager.

I was operating on the knowledge of what our design philosophy has consistently been on this issue. The fact is, though, there have been a lot of design meetings as of late to discuss how this game should play and where it should be heading beyond patch 4.3. That means virtually all possibilities are on the table -- when talking about the continued evolution of this game, we dream big and go back to the drawing board. BoA items, in general, fit into that puzzle somewhere. You'll find out a bit more as to why soon enough.
85 Tauren Warrior
If I might suggest potentially adding a second mail system located in or near the major city's banks with one simple purpose- multi-server account access. I admit I haven't run through every posted suggestion, however the idea itself is sound in principle if executed properly.

As the current mail system attempts to auto-fill a name of anyone in your guild or friends list as you begin to type, the same could be done for an extra mailbox or courier NPC. It would likely be a wee bit more specific to the data caching, but in the end would render Bind on account items truly bind on account. As there are Legacy Quartermasters, who handle the older gear- something along the lines of Legacy Courier could handle transporting goods such as the bind on account gear. Naturally requesting reputation enchants to be eligible would be out of the question, and certainly not requested.

All that's asked, by many of the players, is that these items be worth more than just a single server's batch of characters. I myself have several 85's already, which leaves most of this BoServer gear useless and otherwise a waste of space. Also, in regards to the BoServer rewards from one's guild, the price required for these would make ample sense if again, they could be used for more than just ten characters.

However looking at this from other side of the coin, I personally see a small inkling of reason in why these items are -not- currently, nor prioritized toward being transferable between servers. The required effort to earn these items per server gives players more time to assess the playerbase when experience is gained on a normal level. At least that's how I see it. If these items were, from the start, transferable between servers, then there is also the chance that cross-server deletions and more would cause the item to be potentially lost in quite a bit of data. Especially for those who tend to take long breaks and forget what's on certain characters before deleting them. This being something I've done myself on a couple occasions.

At any rate... back to the top of cross-server BoServer transfer, this particular NPC or mailing system would simply use a player's own account name as a key and bring up a list of all their currently active characters. Such a transfer would cost a player a reasonable fee for the courier or delivery service's work, and have a short delay before legitimate delivery is completed.

Say I wanted to send something to my druid on another server- if using the Courier NPC, I would begin by placing my items in said NPC's care, much like you do with your bank. Following that, select a character from a dropdown list somewhere else in the frame and simply select a character. After which, request delivery and a fee same as mailing items in the current system would be prompted in the same manner as looting a bind on pickup item.

The process itself is simple when looking at it on paper, however the actual implementation of this is a rather large addition. I'm not one to expect something of this sort to be an over-night deal, certainly. However, with the way even the Auction House works, this could easily be added into the content in respectable time.
85 Human Paladin
i thank you, Weird Laughing Skull, for the time and effort your putting in, i appreciate all your explanations and patience in this matter!

/beer
85 Draenei Hunter
Excuse me Zarhym i know this is off topic but i would like to ask you about the hunter feed back you promised us over 6 weeks ago

On another thread in the PvP forums if my memory is correct some issues on hunters PvP standings was raised and you said you needed to get with the devs on that subject and would get back with us. that was over 6 weeks ago and still waiting patiently for your reply or do you plan on giving one ?
Edited by Shyler on 10/5/2011 7:18 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
I personally think that mail should be able to be sent across realms, for instance instead of just typing in my name for my alt for instance;
To: Twigoflife
Server: Bleeding Hollow
Subject: Blah blah blah
(finish format)
I would like to see that personally.
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/05/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Zarhym
So, after making a trip to the doctor and having some blood stolen

Was his name Dr. Acula? Because I don't think that's a real doctor.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]