Heirlooms

Didn't you/someone else post this exact same suggestion a few months ago?

Oh wait no, the general idea seems to have become something of a recurring theme...

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127125266">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127125266</a>
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921989640">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921989640</a>
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592856972">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592856972</a>
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2456909614">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2456909614</a>

omg.
15 Tauren Paladin
10/05/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Tyrazsun
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Because you are buying a SINGLE item, not multiple copies.

It's not that Blizzard isn't doing anything, it's just that they haven't finished it yet. Just let them finish it... patience.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Kevyne
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

I don't like you.
85 Night Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 11:50 AMPosted by Kevyne
The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

And we know that it wasn't some "technical" reason it couldn't be done, too. If other MMOs can communicate and mail across different games (SOE and their games, for example), we know WoW and Blizzard's lineup can do the same.

It had to be a reason, from Activision-Blizzard, to not impliment this feature. Point blank.

There's a difference between having the system in place to allow that sort of tech to be built into a developing project versus having to retrofit the system in to an existing piece of software that was initially designed to be a one-off. SOE already had the infrastructure in place with their Station hub to allow that stuff. (Station's been in existence since at least EQ if my memory is correct.) Blizzard wasn't at that point with Battle.net until just recently and going back to upgrade all the systems required to allow that behavior in WoW when it wasn't initially designed for it is not an easy task.

Sorry to bust your conspiracy theory but there isn't some evil corporate exec sitting in a dark room with lots of cigar smoke saying "No, we want more money. Make it a paid service."
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The only technical limitation i can see is that the "toggles" you guys have, you say are hard to do in game. Yet i recall getting my Ony pet for logging in at a certain day. This is obviously different, (you'd have to buy an item), but you already have an integrated tracking system... the Armory. Assuming you could find a way to deal with people selling items back, the rest seems trivial to me.

It's not ideal, but it beats not having BoA's cross server for any time in the foreseeable future. You could also alleviate issues of dual wielding weapons, by making one MH only (see: Thrashblade/dal'rends, which are already MH/one hand, iirc).

I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

I love how you continue to downplay the scale of just how much work this actually would be.

Seriously, it's not simple. Not simple by any means, and would require hundreds of hours of labor to achieve. The servers were never designed for cross realm communication via the mail system, and you cannot simply "flag" an account to receive heirlooms upon log in. The pets and vanity items you get off the blizzard store, or anniversary log-ins are a whole different mechanic.
Edited by Ünseen on 10/5/2011 12:03 PM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
Pie
@OP and other conspiracy theorists on this thread:
The technical limitation shouldn't be interpreted as "technically impossible."

Sure, other MMOs can do it, but those MMOs aren't based on an almost ten year old foundation. There are many items on their agenda and allowing cross realm mailing of BOA items is one of them. There are in fact hurdles that need to be addressed and overcome before it can be implemented. Especially now that our accounts are based around Battle.net I'm sure even your narrow mind can understand that it's complicated. Understand that the underlying code surrounding Battle.net isn't entirely within the control of WoW developers. Battle.net belongs to Blizzard, not to WoW.

Your conspiracy theories are annoying and betray your ignorance.
Different games are built with different coding. Just because one game can do it, doesn't mean they're all built to do it.

Deadhorse, you around?

I'm glad to see that Blizzard *wants* to do this, just can't wait until it's in!
Edited by Alansi on 10/5/2011 12:04 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Different games are built with different coding. Just because one game can do it, doesn't mean they're all built to do it.

Deadhorse, you around?

I don't think so, I called out for him a while ago, no response :(
6 Undead Warrior
10/05/2011 12:03 PMPosted by Alansi
Deadhorse, you around?

Oh dear... I see I'm about to be beaten by the tinfoil brigade (again)
10/05/2011 12:05 PMPosted by Deadhorse
Deadhorse, you around?

Glad you could make it!
90 Blood Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Firestyle
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

I see the difference, but if the technical challenge isn't the mailing part, but the restricting of what can be mailed - can't you just enumerate a list of the BOA item IDs and call it a bandaid?

And, isn't this restriction already in place for cross-faction mail? I mean, I can't mail gold to my horde toons, or items - it's just BOAs.

I'm going to have to call this bluff and say that it's more to do with the player decision of, "why would I transfer a toon to illidan, when I can send some BOEs over there and level a new one?" and it's more about not spending money to develop resources that reduce revenue from character transfers.

The first MMO that can make a game that gets more players onto less hardware (i.e. denser servers) then you've got a better MMO. We've already seen that servers that remove the artificial barrier of faction have a better PvE endgame. They are the heavily faction imbalanced servers that basically let twice as many players raid together than a faction balanced server of the same population.

Imagine how good raiding could be if Illidan's and Cho'gall's population were a single population.

The faster these artificial barriers go away the better.

Allow me to add, it's not that the servers themselves can host more people at once (for the most part), but that there are MORE servers. Every time you see a loading screen that's you moving to a different server. As more servers are added, the load of people per server decreases.
Edited by Ünseen on 10/5/2011 12:07 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
10/05/2011 12:05 PMPosted by Deadhorse
Deadhorse, you around?

HEY! Where were you yesterday! There was a "vanilla expansion servers" thread you were needed in!
85 Blood Elf Warlock
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

What I get out of your post is that you are convinced the best solution is the one that you haven't been able to program for.

I have zero information about how your business works, so I don't want to sound like I'm degrading anyone for not having solved the BOA cross realm issue yet, but don't you think that if it's caused you this much trouble so far that maybe you should take a different approach?

You can mail an item to every character on an account once purchased, the same way every toon i make get's a pet for the 5th anniversary. If the goal is to get BoAs cross realm so your customers don't feel the need to buy realm transfers, why not step back and simply take the every toon gets it in the mail option for now?

The worst thing to happen would be that some people have less bag/bank space on some toons. But in those cases you can limit the items to what is usable for those toons as well as allow people to delete items they don't want, or even allow them to drop the items into void storage for free if it's BoA.

I think what the OP is getting at is that there is one than one way to skin this cat and at some point the deliverable should take precedence over your preferred method.

P.S. Btw Big Z, every time I see you post I think of the story of you throwing shadow bolt bean bags and I laugh. Thanks for sharing that.
Edited by Andrealock on 10/5/2011 12:10 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail.

Honestly, that's just not the way this plays out...

I can only play on one character at a time per account, then if I plan to play on one of my other characters that needs a BoA, I just mail that BoA to the character that I'm about to play. Thus in practice all my characters have all my BoAs and the current system is just a nuisance since I have to mail stuff repeatedly.

Worse yet, when I log back the next time (a day or week later), I have to remember where all the BoAs are that I want before I even start playing the game... this means another 5-10 minutes of mail shuffling just to get started.

I like the idea of buying a piece of gear that can then be freely purchased by all other characters on my account for simplicity.
Here is an idea from someone who has no idea about coding...but I think you might understand what I am hinting at...Make a bank for BoAs that is accessible to all characters somewhere in a major city.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]