Heirlooms

90 Worgen Druid
maybe instead of changing the name from bound on account to bound to battle.net account, you should have changed it to bound to server/faction. Because now your battle.net account, is no better than any other item if you cant get it on other toons without spending a fortune to use it on the toons you want to use it on. it should be sent to every character like bound to battle.net pets and mounts you purchase online.
100 Undead Death Knight
Okay seriously, this is starting to give me the angries.

Heirloom items are not Account-WIDE items, but rather Account-RESTRICTED items. The term "Bind" refers to what the item CAN'T do, not what it CAN.

Yes, they ARE "clearly" account-bound. It's just that people (like you) insist on continuing to misrepresent the facts in an attempt to argue your point.

Yes, being able to conveniently access your Heirlooms on all servers would be a very welcome change, but "the tag is lying to me, FIX IT NAO" should not be the reason.

Where are these "facts" you speak of. Even when you say, "Account-RESTRICTED"(Like caps will make a difference), it's still saying that it's restricted to my account. Not my server.
And it isn't. The method for moving them off the server is far from ideal, but it exists.

The one thing, the one thing, that these items are not capable of, through one method or another, is moving off of your Battle.net account and onto someone else's Battle.net account.

That is the only thing that needs to be true in order for the current tag to be correct.

The cross-faction mail, and the future cross-server transfer system, are and will be bonuses not contained within the tag.
85 Human Priest
Coming in Mists of Pandaria: Achievements Revamp!

* Achievements are now Battle.net Account-wide. All of the achievements and Feats of Strength earned by all of the characters on your Battle.net account are now collected in your Achievements tab. (This extends to multiple WoW accounts on the same Battle.net account as well.)

* Achievement-based awards, such as titles, mounts, and pets can be accessed from the Unlockables tab in the Achievements interface. Please note that these items cannot be mailed between characters, are soulbound, and can only be generated once per character. Also, items with a level-use restrictions (such as mounts) cannot be accessed until the character has reached an appropriate level.

* Heirlooms have been made a part of the Achievements system. When your character reaches maximum level, your character gains the ability to use various methods (Guild leveling, reputation purchases, Justice Point-Heirloom vendors) to unlock pieces of Heirloom gear. This gear is then added to the Unlockables tab, allowing any character to access any gear that has been unlocked. Please note that these items cannot be mailed between characters, are soulbound, and can only be generated a limited number of times (usually no more than 1-2 times) per character. Items that are not usable by a particular class cannot be accessed through the Unlockables tab (i.e. a Priest could not access an Heirloom sword or plate armor.)

* Additional achievements based on the crafting and gathering professions have been added, along with appropriate awards for accomplishing them. For example, "Jack of All Trades" is an achievement for reaching at least 550 skill with all of the current primary and secondary professions in the game. Earning this achievement unlocks an Apprentice companion, which increases the number of items produced through crafting, speeds up the crafting process by shortening cast times, and can also perform operations such as smelting ore or milling herbs for you while you're off adventuring.

* By making Achievements Battle.net-Account-wide, this enables us to create achievements and rewards for playing other Blizzard games. For example, completing Diablo III on any difficulty unlocks the Fallen Shaman non-combat pet, who will occasionally set itself on fire.
100 Human Mage
I'm all for "unlocking" heirlooms and allowing all characters to have access to them. Its a very nice idea. I hate having to send my plate alts the plate looms back n forth. I'm already sharing the heirlooms between multiple characters! Might as well make it easier!
100 Undead Death Knight
And it isn't. The method for moving them off the server is far from ideal, but it exists.

The one thing, the one thing, that these items are not capable of, through one method or another, is moving off of your Battle.net account and onto someone else's Battle.net account.

That is the only thing that needs to be true in order for the current tag to be correct.

The cross-faction mail, and the future cross-server transfer system, are and will be bonuses not contained within the tag.

So no facts? Just what you think it means and because you think it means something, everyone else is wrong?

Let's just forget the fact that they have stated they want them to be able to be shared account wide and just haven't had time to do it. Which implies that they intend to do it sometime in the future. You know, Soon™...
Again, what they want to provide to us is a bonus, nothing more. If all of a sudden they decided to abandon the notion, the tag would still be correct, because... GASP! The items are still unable to be moved to someone else's Battle.net account.

My facts are found in your average dictionary, by the way.
100 Human Paladin
10/05/2011 07:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
You'll find out a bit more as to why soon enough.

I hate it when you tease us! I'm getting excited for Blizzcon so we can get some more juicy informations.

Also, because of 4.3 are we going to be in the dark about an expansion? (those are just food for thought, no need for anyone to address such in this thread)
60 Troll Shaman

So no facts? Just what you think it means and because you think it means something, everyone else is wrong?

Let's just forget the fact that they have stated they want them to be able to be shared account wide and just haven't had time to do it. Which implies that they intend to do it sometime in the future. You know, Soon™...
Again, what they want to provide to us is a bonus, nothing more. If all of a sudden they decided to abandon the notion, the tag would still be correct, because... GASP! The items are still unable to be moved to someone else's Battle.net account.

Yes, a simple analysis of what the tag explicitly states is correct according to what you're defining, but the term "Bind-On-Account" implicates that, even though, it is limited to that account it should be able to move freely throughout the domain (the account) that it is contained in.
Edited by Goraz on 10/5/2011 10:13 PM PDT
100 Undead Death Knight

Yes, a simple analysis of what the tag explicitly states is correct according to what you're defining, but the term "Bind-On-Account" implicates that it is limited to that account, meaning that it should be able to move freely throughout the domain (the account) that it is contained in.
Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm talking explicit here.

There's no definition of "bind", "limit" or any other synonym that includes free movement within what it's bound/limited/etc. to as part of the definition, and when arguing stuff like this it helps not to base your argument off an assumption.
90 Troll Shaman

Your facts are nothing more than you spouting what you think it means. I want a blue post from an official Blizzard employee that clearly stats what you said it means.

Seriously, if you can't do that then you have no facts to back up what you claim it means. Also, give me a link to the dictionary that says what you claim it means. So far, I can't find "Bind to Account" in the dictionary.

Reality, the same can be said of everyone saying that it should be labelled "Bind on Server" - which it isn't; I have performed realm transfers with characters with BoAs on them, and the BoAs did not disappear. Bind on Battle.Net Account is in fact accurate for what the items are capable of (two accounts on the same battle.net account). It saying "Binds on Account" or "Binds on Battle.net Account" does not in any way imply it can be sent to other servers; that is just what some people think it means when looking at the tag.
100 Undead Death Knight

Your facts are nothing more than you spouting what you think it means. I want a blue post from an official Blizzard employee that clearly stats what you said it means.

Seriously, if you can't do that then you have no facts to back up what you claim it means. Also, give me a link to the dictionary that says what you claim it means. So far, I can't find "Bind on Account" in the dictionary.
Bind on Account is a game-related term that's a combination of several words. Everyone here should know what an account is, in the context of WoW.

The relevant word is "bind".

bind (bind)
v. bound (bound), bind·ing, binds
v.tr.
To hold or restrain with or as if with bonds.

Notice the complete and total lack of mention of the free movement within what the object is bound to that everyone seems to want.

"To hold or restrain to the account as if with bonds."

Doesn't mention free movement within the account. Free movement within the account is something that, while nice, is not advertised and Blizzard thus has no obligation to provide.
60 Troll Shaman
Nobody is going to win this argument until you [get] proof from a Blizzard employee on what it means.

I'm convinced this is veeerrrrry true.

Edited the original quote.
Edited by Goraz on 10/5/2011 10:40 PM PDT
85 Goblin Rogue
i dont know if this was suggested, but i had a thought

why not make a Vendor for the heirlooms, that ones you have earned the points for it the item is (unlocked to the account), then when you go to the vendor on any toon on any server or faction. you can grab one out of the unlocked heirlooms. and the ones not unlocked are just greyed out. it would make it simple so you dont have to mail it across servers or or factions. you just go grab it from the vendor.
90 Troll Shaman
Nobody is going to win this argument until you show proof from a Blizzard employee on what it means.

Jargon is jargon - and can be easily understood by people who understand the relevant jargon - regardless of whether they are employed by certain organizations and companies or not.

Until the ability to send BoAs across realms without the need for a realm transfer is in game, the term "Binds on Account" and "Binds on Battle.Net Account" cannot refer to, mean, or imply you can send them across realms.
Edited by Quintzaker on 10/5/2011 10:46 PM PDT
60 Troll Shaman
10/05/2011 10:35 PMPosted by Quintzaker

Jargon is jargon - and can be easily understood by people who understand the relevant jargon - regardless of whether they are employed by certain organizations and companies or not.

I edited the quote.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]